So You Want To Be A Fighter: Diego Sanchez displays battle scars suffered from B.J. Penn

You could almost hear UFC President Dana White uttering his now famous catch phrase, “So you want to be a fighter” after clicking on his official Twitter page to view a recent picture of “The Nightmare”, Diego Sanchez, taken in the days following his recent one sided beatdown suffered at the hands of UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn during UFC 107.

“Warrior!!!!!” – was all Dana had to say when tweeting the recent picture of Sanchez sporting the full on Pumpkinhead look.

Diego may have been outclassed in his recent defeat suffered at the hands of Penn this past Saturday evening, but there’s no arguing with the fact that the man is, as White put it, an absolute “Warrior”…

diego busted up

• nate says:

goddamn. he looked worse on the night of the fight i think. either way he got jacked.

• Unabomberman says:

Massive. Balls.

Much respect to Diego. I think he literally didn’t bother looking the word ‘Quit’ in the dictionary as a child.

Is it insane of me to be thinking that he should probably go back to Greg Jackson’s camp? Looks like his striking abd takedown defense could benefit.

• Angry Mike says:

You should see the other guy. Not a mark on him

• xtreme_machine says:

I would gladly sacrifice my face and look like that if it means fighting BJ Penn for the world title.

Sanchez vs Florian II

• Unabomberman says:

On looking again Diego’s forehead, I’m getting the vibe that that scar will follow him forever, and not in a good way. Other fighters (cough, Kenny, cough) will look for the opportunity to open that pre-made gash and end the fight as soon as they can.

It all depends on how it scars, but I’m positive he’ll have massive problems.

• rage says:

man thats bad!does any1 here see bj losing anytine soon at lightweight because i really do not!
    im new here by the way not pretending to be some old school mma fan fairly new to it

• king mah mah says:

Write that down.

• Unabomberman says:

king mah mah: There is no doubt that Diego is a warrior. He certainly showed more heart against BJ than BJ showed against GSP.
    Write that down.

But BJ was thoroughly demolished, it wasn’t just his face, or the fact that he was groggy most of the time–it was the fact that he got manhandled by a bigger man, and got hit everywhere you legally can. He had sustained way more damage in four rounds than Diego in five, his face just didn’t show it that bad.

• king mah mah says:

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Meanwhile Penn has been Tweeting video of him looking normal while playing with his daughter and eating a Mana Burger.

• Unabomberman says:

king mah mah: He was “groggy”?! What the hell are you talking about? Did he just take some NyQuill before the fight?

He took GSP’s punches to the face and gut very early on.

Also, you may want todust off that merriam webster, my friend.

• king mah mah says:

No thanks I’ll just dust off your girls P****!

• Makington says:

• king mah mah says:

BJ’s corner had to call the fight, Diego was stopped because of a cut.

Write that down.

• Unabomberman says:

Makington: Well, atleast Diego doesn’t have to worry about people recognizing him for the next month or so. I know I wouldn’t want people stopping to talk to me after the thrashing he took.And I’d say the beating Diego took was much worse than the beating BJ took against GSP. BJ atleast landed a punch against GSP and showed atleast a tiny bit of success and competitiveness. It can be kind of hard to judge because BJ doesn’t bruise or cut or anything, but I think he worked Diego over much harder than he got worked.

Diego actually landed 8 shots, look at fight metric; but more importantly, look what areas of the body did Diego get checked in. It was mostly his head.

The fight with GSP was less one dimensional, it took place in more places other than stand-up and takedown-stuffing, and still, he got thoroughly dominated in every area.

But in retrospect, blows to the head lead to more mental deterioration, so you could make the argument on you being right on that front.

king mah mah: No thanks I’ll just dust off your girls P****!

Look at you, what a badass.

I better back off, I don’t know what you may do to me. Your snappy, intellectual comebacks are spot on.

• king mah mah says:

@Unabomberman- LOL yeah baby! I finally got a rise out of you!

• king mah mah says:

Yeah, I gave you a thumbs up.

• Unabomberman says:

king mah mah: @Unabomberman- LOL yeah baby! I finally got a rise out of you!

Uh…really, a rise? Dude, this is the internet.

Just calm down. Here, have a cookie :)

• king mah mah says:

• Unabomberman says:

king mah mah: OK i’m done. I was joking around, but you are waaaay too serious. Calm down son, calm down.

Har, har.

Ok, apparently you don’t like cookies. And apparently we both suck at making jokes.

But it’s okay daddy, I’m calm, now.

A few vicodins work wonders.

• Angry Mike says:

Mah Mah! Glad you’re back. I thought you’d leave forever after predicting Diego’s win in such strong terms.

• BillyWarhol says:

GSP shouldda Tuned Penn’s ass – next time Diego!!!!

• Makington says:

Unabomberman:

I was being sarcastic about Diego not hitting BJ once. It seemed obvious to me 😉 However, your more appropriate count of 8 makes Diego’s performance seem even worse. He was fighting his heart out and throwing everything into his punches and all he had to show for it was 8 shots, while being outstruck with a 19-1 ratio?! God damn! Also your point about Diego blocking all of BJ’s shots with his face seems even more damaging to me.

When I look at both fights, I think BJ beat Diego worse than he got beat by GSP. And it’s not the fan in me talking because I hate BJ and GSP is one of my favourites. Obviously this is completely opinion and I’m sure many disagree, but I believe what I believe.

• king mah mah says:

Angry Mike! I’m here to stay! (Korn lyrics) LOL, Yeah, Diego got his ass handed to him! What can I say? Nobody’s picks are perfect!

• king mah mah says:

Get at me dog!

• elkymbo says:

You gotta admit his head does look like a pug chewing on a bumble bee.
    And just for the sake of a shit stir, your picks suck Mr mah mah :)

• bigbadjohn says:

Anyone that can go 4.5 rounds with BJ has got my respect. Outclassed but never kept pushing. And ya, Mah Mah is a 5oz. joke we all know that. But I guess theres always someone who picks the underdog in every match-up, so they can hopefully play “I told you so”. Unfortunately picking against a P4P Great doesn’t often bring you that prestige. And for the record: did anyone really see Kongo winning? or Guida? 107 was a night of favorites.

• Angry Mike says:

@ King Mah Mah:

Can’t criticize you, bro. I thought that Griffin would beat Rashad in his first title defense. Stuff happens.

• fetussandwich says:

Diego comments that go well with this photo:

“Come fight me BJ…fight me hard. I’m right here, man.”

“That’s what BJ Penn is going to feel. He’s going to feel Diego Sanchez. He’s going to feel the nightmare.”

“Even if you stop my takedown, I’m gonna try and take you down again. Then I’m gonna throw a combo. Then I’m gonna try and take you down again.”

“I’m gonna come forward, I’m gonna cut the ring off, and then I’m gonna scrap.”

“Let’s get it.”

“Come fight me. I’m asking you–fight me.”

“I have what it takes to beat BJ Penn.”

• Nick Havok says:

Diego’s face in that picture is pretty much the exact reason I never had the desire to try MMA.

Call that cowardly…but I’m not trying to look like that. No thanks.

I like my face how it is.

• GassedOut says:

king mah mah: BJ’s corner had to call the fight, Diego was stopped because of a cut. Write that down.

That’s because BJ wouldn’t quit either. His corner had to do it for him.

• GassedOut says:

Nick Havok: P>Call that cowardly…but I’m not trying to look like that. No thanks.I like my face how it is.

I know what you mean. It hurts…a lot. My theory is that fighters don’t feel pain the way most people do. I think they feel less of it or feel it as a form of strange pleasure – at least the great ones like Fedor or Anderson Silva. (Not me! I don’t like getting hit at all! I can take a shot, but would rather not! Hey! I’m a poet and don’t know it! Outrageous! Is this contagious?) It’s the only thing that explains to me how someone gets kicked in the head or punched in the gut and smiles and keeps coming. It’s not like physiology or physics doesn’t apply, you can still stop them with a well-timed hook or armbar or whatever, but you really have to hurt them badly before it slows them down.

I look at the ancient Samurai and I see something like that in their warrior mindset. Guys like BJ, GSP, Wandy, Aoki, Gono, Seem to have that quality and attitude to me. Just thinking out loud.

• moosebaby02 says:

fetussandwich gets joke of the day with my vote lmao.
    Landing 8 total punches and getting your takedowns stuffed 27 times in a row doesn’t make you a warrior. It makes you a punching bag who is a glutton for punishment with a shitty fight plan

• Scott H. says:

bigbadjohn: And for the record: did anyone really see Kongo winning? or Guida? 107 was a night of favorites.

• Makington says:

GassedOut:
    I know what you mean.It hurts…a lot.My theory is that fighters don’t feel pain the way most people do.I think they feel less of it or feel it as a form of strange pleasure – at least the great ones like Fedor or Anderson Silva.(Not me!I don’t like getting hit at all!I can take a shot, but would rather not!Hey!I’m a poet and don’t know it!Outrageous!Is this contagious?)It’s the only thing that explains to me how someone gets kicked in the head or punched in the gut and smiles and keeps coming.It’s not like physiology or physics doesn’t apply, you can still stop them with a well-timed hook or armbar or whatever, but you really have to hurt them badly before it slows them down.I look at the ancient Samurai and I see something like that in their warrior mindset.Guys like BJ, GSP, Wandy, Aoki, Gono, Seem to have that quality and attitude to me.Just thinking out loud.

I’m not trying to come off like a super tough guy but I’m sure a lot of guys on here either train or fight or both, and whe you’re really in the zone fighting, you don’t even feel it if the guy breaks your arm ,as seen by many fighters who don’t tap and then complain to the ref that they made the bad call.

• Dufresne says:

Scott H.:
    For me anyway, it wasn’t that Kongo and Guida lost that was the surprise, it was how fights went.We’ve never seen Guida dominated that way… He’s fought some of the toughest guy’s around, his last fight was a 3 round war with Diego, and then Florian walked through him like he was a gate keeper.Kongo had just went three round with Cain, and then Mir destroyed him in seconds… I know anything can happen in a fight, but I never expected that.

I never saw them winning, but I still put $10 on each of them because the odds were so terrible. On the off shot that Pierce beat Fitch, my $10 bet would have landed me about $90.

Makington: Nah, it’s an adrenaline thing. I fight around Canada, and I’ll be the first to admit I’m no GSP, and you’ll never see me in the UFC, but you don’t feel it when you get hit. Hell, you don’t even remember getting hit. I’m also the kind of person that smiles when I get hit, but I think that’s the competitiveness in me smiling. It’s kind of like, ‘Shit you just got me good………I’ll get you back’

I agree with you again Makington. I don’t compete in combat sports anymore, but I’m still big in whitewater sports and some other hobbies that lend themselves to bouncing off of something very hard at a high speed. When you really get going and the adrenaline is high you start to look at things more like “This is gonna hurt like hell, but it’ll be fun!!!” And after you eat it hard you tend to collect your gear and chuckle about the new story you have to share.