Cung Le and Robbie Lawler among seven confirmed for “EA Sports MMA”

cung leEA Sports MMA” has added a slew of fighters from this weekend’s “Strikeforce: Evolution” card to their steadily growing roster just a few days before the event.

The newest additions to the highly anticipated mixed martial arts video game that will be sure to rival UFC’s Undisputed 2010 include Cung Le, Robbie Lawler, Scott Smith, Josh Thomson, Matt Lindland, Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Gilbert Melendez.

The title is expected be released during the summer of 2010, and will be available on both the XBox 360 and Playstation 3 platforms.

While scores of other notable fighters have been rumored to be participating in the upcoming video game, only eighteen have made public through “EA Sports MMA” as of this time. Below is a full list of the confirmed athletes set to appear in the title:

Fedor Emelianenko

Randy Couture

Brett Rogers

Frank Shamrock

Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal

Jason “Mayhem” Miller

Jake Shields

Jay Hieron

Nick Thompson

Gegard Mousasi

Renato “Babalu” Sobral

• Bullylover says:

What about Nick Diaz???

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I’m sure he’ll be in it. I just wanna play a demo. Hurry up and put it on XBOX Live! lol

• Unabomberman says:

I’m starting to become uneasy that this game will be like an actual ‘fighting game’ instead of a ‘simulation game’. It seems to me that like in those kinds of games they’ll have a reduced roster, and that each fighter will have specific quality sounds and animations, but still, it will be like a fighting game with individual characters that are individually developed ala Soul Calibur.

I hope I’m wrong. At least I hope it has a create a fighter mode, and a career mode…

• Connor Cobain says:

Wow this is sad, they’ve been playing up the role of this game for a long time and since then the UFC will of put in 2 major games. Also though its not confirmed im pretty darn sure that Randy Couture is going to be in UFC 2010 due to his re-signing of a UFC contract and the fact he’s going to retire in the UFC.

• Rich S. says:

Unabomberman, it’s been confirmed a couple times now that no fighter will move, or punch the same way.. They plan on working with each individual fighter to get their style down.. By no means will this mean a small roster, though..

Also, I hear there will be multiple promotions (Strikeforce, DREAM, etc) and each one will have it’s respective rules (i.e. – grounded knees to head in DREAM, etc).

And after reading an article written by someone that saw a stage demo, it sounds like it will be just like watching a fight.. No robotic transitions, rather two fighters CONSTANTLY working position.. Instead of 3 different stages to a submission, you defend it just as a fighter would..

Honestly, it may not have the “UFC” brand and it’s fighters, but it sounds like they’re making a damn good game, and I’ll have no choice but to pick it up..

Either way, I don’t think they’ll have too many problems with popularity, seeing as how they’re FREAKING EA…

• edub says:

I think this game will do a lot more for the popularity of mma promotions outside of the UFC, than the promotions would do for the game. EA has probably the most popular line of games in the world.

We’re probably gonna see another massive growth in mma popularity after the new game hits.

• GassedOut says:

Anyone know if they’re doing this on the Wii platform?

• Nick Havok says:

This line-up of fighters looks good! I’m impressed!

I will definiteley be renting this the morning it comes out.

• Nick Havok says:

It looks like whoever designed EA Sport’s MMA logo that they were directly inspired by the tattoo on Mike Tyson’s face.

Just like how Strikeforce was inspired by Whitesnake.

• devilsadvocate says:

I would like to see the following fighters possibly added:
    Werdum
    Overeem
    Feijao
    Sokoudjou
    Beerbohm
    Whitehead
    Woodley
    Aoki
    Zaromskis
    Bigfoot
    Monson
    E. Alvarez
    Lashley
    Henderson (if his likeness is not still owned by Zuffa and he can get in the game in time)
    Arlovski
    Randleman
    T. Kennedy
    Noons
    Gurgel
    Gomi
    J. Hansen
    Manhoef
    Sakurai
    Even half the guys on this list would be good. Others?

• rage says:

hey can any1 tell me how come dana white let randy be a part of this game?

• devilsadvocate says:

rage:

If I remember correctly, Couture has never agreed to a likeness/licensing contract w/ Zuffa. He has never been in any prior UFC games including Undisputed. Nor is he included in any calendars or figures either.

Also, guys: Monson has been confirmed in Game Informer monthly. All tats included.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I know a lot of you guys liked the UFC game but I thought it was pretty bad. I won’t go into the list of things I didn’t like…OK I will
    Why can I head kick some poor dude 10 times before it does anything, why is there no leftys, why do I not leg check, why can I throw unlimited jabs and straights without knocking somebody out, why is there such a limited amount of take downs, why can guys like Sylvia and Koscheck not head kick, why can only some dudes throw more than a couple of types of punches, why is there such a tiny amount of customization, why did I trade this game in within a week…wait, I know the answer to that.
    I just hope UFC 2010 and this EA game are more to my liking.
    And Devil Gurgel! How about Sakuraba, Sylvia, Aleks, Kiwiljari, Schilt, Filho, Barnett, Rizzo, Hunt and for a laugh or 2 Sapp and Hong Man Choi.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“hey can any1 tell me how come dana white let randy be a part of this game?”

You think if he was able to stop it he wouldn’t? Not long ago Couture tried to leave the UFC to find a career out of the UFC and fight Fedor and others that he was prevented from doing in the UFC. The UFC and ZUFFA took legal action to prevent Couture from doing so. So in the future when you think to yourself “gee it is a shame that Fedor and Brock never fought” just remember that even if Brock wanted to, the UFC would stop it. Thanks UFC.
    I’m just pleased that great boxing fights like Ali v Foreman weren’t stopped by companies like the UFC.