Josh Thomson: ‘[Gilbert Melendez] might win a round this time’ but outcome will be same as first meeting (Video)

STRIKEFORCE will close out 2009 with the return of former STRIKEFORCE world middleweight champion Cung Le, who will face Scott “Hands of Steel” Smith in the main event of STRIKEFORCE Evolution which takes place at HP Pavilion in San Jose, CA. on Saturday, Dec. 19. The event will be available to subscribers on SHOWTIME.

Also on the card is a highly anticipated rematch for the STRIKEFORCE lightweight title as Josh Thomson will face Gilbert Melendez.

In the video interview below, Thomson talks about his preparations for the upcoming fight, concerns about his long lay off, and how he sees this fight playing out…

• roshambo says:

Both guys finish most of their fights, hopefully it is the same in this one even though it went to a decision last time. I hope it’s a good show and I look forward to seeing it live.

• Bullylover says:

• Bullylover says:

By the way this fight should be the main event. these are 2 high quality lws going to war over a title. The smith le fight is going to be a one sided affair.We all know that smith was brought in so that cung can methodically demolish smith. That being said i hope smith pulls the upset and lands that “puncher’s chance” bomb right on cungs chin.

• David Andrest says:

Yeah right…………… What a Punk he is

• Bullylover says:

David Andrest “Yeah right…………… What a Punk he is” . Is that suppose to be funny?

• David Andrest says:

I thought it an amusing play on words yes. 😀

• Makington says:

You know it’s Josh’s nickname right bully? Josh “The Punk” Thomson.

I’ve heard cornier jokes haha.

• Bullylover says:

my apologies if a came of as rude David.I wasn’t sure if you were actually joking or if you were just trying to be a smart ass. As a said before my apologies david.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Should be a good fight in my opinion. I don’t think it will be one sided at all.

• ndizzle says:

this card took a hit a lil bit.trevor prangley is out with an injury now

• ndizzle says:

ndizzle: this is gona be tough gil has gottin better since their first meeting and even though josh has came out and said he 100% that is not true this guy still has pain in the ankle.this card took a hit a lil bit.trevor prangley is out with an injury now

my bad i think he does have pain

• danw84 says:

I’m excited for this fight but I’m also pretty pumped to see Cung Le and Smith. I like watching Smith. He may not be as talented as Cung Le, or even all that close, but he’s a tough dude and fun to watch. Plus, Cung Le is always awesome to see. Yeah this fight isn’t for a title, and Thomson vs Melendez is, but it’s still Cung Le, who I doubt would have much trouble going and getting his belt back. That is of course if he wants it back.

• Bad Monkey says:

Keep in mind that the fight is in San Jose, Cung’s ‘hometown’, so there’s your main event status right there. Plus, it’s Le’s first fight since he whupped Frank Shamrock so he will be a big draw. Looking forward to a good night of free fights.

• Makington says:

I don’t think Cung can get his belt back as long s Jake Shields is holding it. If Jake Shields were ever to write a textbook on fighting, it would be all about the ‘lay and pray’. That’s really the only technique he has mastered. He has shown definite improvement with his standup, but he refuses to trade with guys who are as good as him on the feet. Now when we’re talking about guys, like Cung, who are astronomically better than him on the feet, we’d be seeing Jake just grabbing a hold and taking Cung down for the entire fight. I’m much more excited to see his fight with Scott Smith, it’s sure to bring a great great fight.

• Bullylover says:

“Keep in mind that the fight is in San Jose, Cung’s ‘hometown” Actually san jose is cung’s adoptive hometown as he is from vietnam. Josh thompson Is from san jose and is fighting gilbert who is from san francisco, another major city in the bay area and could be called as a battle of the bay. However i see why strikeforce did this as cung does have great star quality and seems to have a growing fan base. I still feel that the title fight should of been for the main event.

• Bullylover: iI hope that melendez shuts thompson’s annoying mouth up. serioulsy though thompson can be so annoying at times. either way this is going to be a great fight.

gave ya thumbs up. I don’t know why you got thumbs down on that one. I agree. melendez is a class act. the punk Tomson is named that for a reason.

• Bullylover says:

“I agree. melendez is a class act. the punk Tomson is named that for a reason.” Thanks. I’m not saying that thompson is the biggest dick. Gilbert has really improved and been humboldt saying that josh is the reall champ and that he is not the champ till he beats josh. wich is true i just feel that gilbert deserves a lot more respect than josh has been given him.