Versus extension will include 2 live UFC events.

Versus announced today and multi-year extension with Zuffa, LLC. The deal solidifies the WEC will continue to be a staple on the cable network.

As an added bonus to the deal, Versus has secured broadcast rights to two upcoming UFC live events in 2010. The move marks the first time a UFC event will broadcast outside of PPV or SPIKE TV.

With the addition of the two live UFC events, Versus looks to have a total of 9 live fight cards in 2010. The dates and times of the two live UFC events on Versus were not available at the time of this published report, however they are expected in the near future.

Versus will finish out its live WEC coverage this Saturday night at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT with live coverage of WEC 45: Cerrone vs. Ratcliff.

• Guthookd says:

• roshambo says:

Guthookd: I can’t help but wonder what this means for the relationship between Zuffa and SpikeTV. They’ve been partnered up for a long time. Will they get any live UFCs or UFNs in 2010?

Apparently the agreement between Spike and UFC has allowed for them to show up to 4 fights a year on other TV channels. Hopefully this will just be another venue for them to counter program with live fights for times when Spike has something else going on. If it means more free MMA for the masses, I’m all for it. It will probably help build VS as a channel and expose more people to the great fights that the WEC is puting on. These will also probably help fill the void of MMA programing if the WEC does start doing PPV’s around the middle of next year.

• Nick Havok says:

Article says,

I hope you are right!

WTF!!!

Thanks for nothing, DouchTV!

• MacBatty says:

Looks like if you want the NFL package AND MMA you are out of LUCK!

• Nick Havok says:

MacBatty: As someone who has DirecTV this sucks! I lost the VS channel earlier this year because of a dispute between Directv & Comcast…So Ive missed the last two WEC shows….And unless DirecTV gives Comcast what they want for VS looks like im going to miss out on these shows tooLooks like if you want the NFL package AND MMA you are out of LUCK!

I have too missed the last couple WEC events for the exact reasons you named…well, I missed the last one anyway. I hacked the one before illegally online.

It sucked watching it that way…but what else is a die hard fan suppose to do?

I have found even a better site now though and watching the next WEC show this weekend shouldn’t be an issue…but still, watching MMA on a computer sucks no matter how you cut it. I’d rather watch it on my nice TV.

• roshambo says:

Nick Havok: Article says,Conventional wisdom wound indicate that the addition of two live UFC events to the Versus schedule may be enough to sweeten negotiations between the cable provider and the cable and satellite providers that were unable to come to terms this year to continue carrying the network.I hope you are right!Because being a DirecTV customer myself…this news really chaps my ass. I mean I will be missing UFC events now too?WTF!!!Thanks for nothing, DouchTV!

• Nick Havok says:

roshambo: Wether true or not, I have heared rumors that the dispute may even be resolved by the weekend for the next WEC event. With Comcast buying their stake in NBC Universal which includes channels that will broadcast Olympic Events and now this news about VS covering UFC, I think Comcast has all the leverage they need now to get what ever they want from Direct TV. There is a whole lot of additional programing that Comcast could pull from Direct TV and just make Comcast exclusive if Direct TV doesnt give in and give in soon.

Doing ‘Yes Cartwheels!’

That would be so sweet! I hope you’re right. :)

…and if this does happen, can I take it a step further and request Versus replay the last two WEC shows? I have holes in my DVD collection…and it’s NOT COOL!

• Lerner17 says:

Normally this is where I would say, “Aw man, this sucks cuz I have DirecTV” but it looks like most of you have said it for me :) Now, directly related to the article, I do feel as if it’s a good thing. I keep seeing, not only on this site but other MMA sites, about all these good UFN cards, and yet they never get televised (if they do, PLEASE let me know). If they show a handful of those on Spike or Vs in addition to their “regular” shows, I think the interest in the sport could grow exponentially.

• sides666 says:

this is definitely bull crap i never get to watch the wec live because there is no versus in canada i will be very upset if zuffa does not figure that situation out

• roshambo says:

On a side note, I hope this isn’t the big TV deal Dana was talking about being on the verge of announcing a few months back. While as a MMA and Hockey Fan I personally Love VS, it sure isn’t CBS or NBC or ABC or ESPN etc. Any more word on that alleged TV deal by Dana White Reporter People?

• AHHHHHH . .working for Comcast makes me love the company I work for even more. Very exiting.

• Angry Mike says:

FightFan313:

If I worked for the Antichrist I wouldn’t I brag about it.

• Angry Mike: FightFan313:

If I worked for the Antichrist I wouldn’t I brag about it.

Mike.. you are just Angry LOL.

• Angry Mike says:

I am. I really, really am. Use whatever influence you have to get DirectTV and Comcast back to the bargaining table. My inability to watch WEC is driving me nuts. I’m outside Comcast’s service area in the community where I live, so I’m screwed.

• Angry Mike: I am.I really, really am.Use whatever influence you have to get DirectTV and Comcast back to the bargaining table.My inability to watch WEC is driving me nuts.I’m outside Comcast’s service area in the community where I live, so I’m screwed.

I gave you thumbs up Mike. It would benefit Comcast to have Versus on D TV so I will do what I can even though I am little man on Totem Pole.

• of course as a MMA fan it helps if we have another 18 million possible viewers.

• TerribleT says:

Don’t worry about missing MMA events that are on VERSUS if you are a DirecTV customer bcuz if you are writing comments on this sight then you have access to a computer so if DirecTV doesn’t renegotiate with VERSUS you can still easily watch any UFC & WEC events that are on VERSUS on your computer.Without going into detail I know there are at least 10 different places I’ve personally seen that you can get access.This is the INTERNET age my friends