Shane Carwin: ‘I would be honored to fight [Frank Mir]’

Shane Carwin PicWith Frank Mir’s 72-second destruction of Cheick Kongo fresh in fans’ minds, and the lingering health issues of current heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar still looming over his future in the sport, it’s only natural for talk to have turned towards the possibility of Mir locking horns with top contender, Shane Carwin.

Carwin, stuck in limbo while waiting to fight Lesnar, has not stepped into the Octagon since scoring a TKO win over Gabriel Gonzaga this past March at UFC 96. The 11-0 powerhouse who has yet to see the second-round in his career recently blogged his thoughts on Mir’s victory at UFC 107, the upcoming bout between highly ranked heavyweights Cain Velasquez and ”Minotauro” Nogueira, and what his plans are for the immediate future…

On Mir vs. Kongo: First of all I thought Frank had the MMA advantage in this fight. Kongo is a great fighter but Frank has been in the biggest fights of the UFC’s history and a three round co-main event is just another day in the office for Frank. I was surprised that he used his striking to set up his submission but I was not surprised he submitted Kongo. It is very hard to judge much of anything when a fighter wins so dominantly.

Much respect to Frank Mir who displayed why he is one of the best heavyweights ever.

On Velasquez vs. Nogueira: “My initial thoughts were how would Cain vs. Mir look? Cain had trouble with Kongo and he is supposed to be one of the elite contenders. Will Nogueira’s experience be too much for Cain?

A win like Frank had last night surely propels him to share the top of the division with Nog, Cain and myself. If beating Kongo was enough to propel (Velasquez) to number two contender status, destroying Kongo might edge Cain out. What is more compelling is that Mir made it out of that fight injury free so not only is he at the top of the division he is likely ready to fight sooner than later.”

On fighting Mir: “The main question I am getting is would I fight Frank? The answer is easy – YES. I am not a fighter who decides who he fights. I fight who I am told to fight. I like it that way. I am not trying to build a legacy I am trying to fight the best fighters in the world and determine where I fit in. Mir is a multiple-time Champion who has been counted out more than Mike Tyson to only find himself right back at the top. He is a LEGEND of the sport and I would be honored to fight him.”

On his current status: “My situation is this. When Brock was finally down and out with his illness, UFC matchmaker Joe Silva said to rehab my injuries and get better. I am doing just that (no surgery was required) and feel as if I am getting better. I am sparring and grappling again which are the big steps in getting in fight shape for any of the top heavyweights they put in front of me.

On February 11th my wife Lani is expecting our first child together, (I have a son we take care of) a girl named Lexi. This has been a tough pregnancy that has kept us on edge throughout the term. This is why I was unable to attend the fight with Cain in Australia that was offered.

In essence I have to fit into the UFC’s plans. I am waiting to see what they have planned for the division and where I fit into the overall plans. I am getting better every day, training hard and I know my time will come.”

• Nick Havok says:

What a great attitude!

It’s a major reason why I am such a big fan of Shane Carwins.

…and a match between Mir and Carwin would be really cool, the only bad thing is that one person will lose, thus pushing a potential fight with Lesnar far away.

Because truth be told, I want to see Carwin and Mir both get a crack at Lesnar…in that order. I’d hate to see one of them go top the back of the HW line because they were forced to fight one another.

• Angry Mike says:

The guy’s got his head screwed on right. Do your job well, and all the other stuff sorts itself out.

• MMApride19 says:

Yeh, well said by Carwin, he could have been completely unreasonable and sulked about not getting his title shot. But he is showing a true fighters attitude. On top of that.. what a great way to decide a title contender whilst waiting for Lesnar to recover fully… (which is looking like it will take 8 – 12 months for full recovery). Mir vs Carwin and Valesquez vs Nog. Winner of each fight each other. By that time, Lesnar should be recovered and prepared to fight. Then winner vs winner faces Lesnar. Yes… its abit prolonged, but it happens. No ones fault that Lesnar got very ill, just an unfortunate situation. But still… so many exciting fights in the UFC’s HW division to keep me happy!!!

Im all of a sudden more excited about the match ups in the HW division!

• VENOM says:

A Great Fighter and a Great Man!!!!!! Kudos to Mr Carwin!

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Definitely one of the classiest individuals in MMA.

• nate says:

ive been on the carwin bandwagon since day one. things like this blog post just reaffirm my belief that shane carwin & matt hamil have to be among thee classiest most likeable guys fighting in the UFC today. everything out of their mouths is always intelligent, respectful, and never even condescending. Always positive attitudes. just all around GREAT ambassadors of MMA.

• manny says:

I agree with all the comments & carwin. BUT what if the ufc sets up mir vs carwin and carwin looses the match & the chance to take out lesnar wich many of of want. Then it will set up mir vs lesnar III. Honestly , I hope he doesn’t fight mir b/c carwin has the best chance to KO lesnar than MIr. Lesnar will GnP Mir again and I dont want to see that again. Yes he put sum mucscle on but that’s not enough.

• Guthookd says:

First of all…..whoaaaaaaaa on that picture. Mir is not the only one who has toned up some. Maybe I’m imagining this, but I’m pretty sure Carwin had what could be called a soft set of pecs last time I saw him….

Anyway, Mir vs. Carwin. Let’s do this.

• moosebaby02 says:

na Guthookd he always looked so ripped. for his pictures lol.
    no really he did look a little soft last year around the pecs
    Carwin will take Mir and Brock out
    just you wait and see

• Jak says:

I would be honoured to watch Carwin fight Mir… or for that matter, anybody.

How long ago was GG vs. Carwin…

too long.

• manny: I hope he doesn’t fight mir b/c carwin has the best chance to KO lesnar than MIr. Lesnar will GnP Mir again and I dont want to see that again. Yes he put sum mucscle on but that’s not enough.

I love that Shane said that. I don’t think he stands a chance but I do like his mind set. I think Mir has learned a lot about himself from the last match with Brock and given time to develop the movement of that muscle and with some wrestling training I think Mir would own Brock especially with what Brock is going threw now, it going to take him along time to get strong again. I read that Brock has lost 20 lbs so far. I Don’t think Mir will be as overly aggressive like he was last time. Weird that Frank didn’t try and move or Shrimp at all in the last fight??

• BennyProfane says:

Carwin definitely is a class-act and a reputably nice guy and pretty ballsy to basically admit you’re willing to relinquish #1 contender rights. However, does anyone else find his personality realllllllllllllly boring?

• cocoonofhorror says:

LMAO @ the word “honor” and frank murr in the same sentence.

• s00nertp says:

I’d be very interested to see Carwin vs Mir, but AFTER Carwin fights Brock.

If Mir wins, I am less interested in Brock vs Mir III.

I cant complain too much though… because I love mma and I’ll watch any top talent fights.

• s00nertp says:

Mir has an air of confidence that makes me cring, but his analysis of the fight is incredible.

• MacBatty says:

Shane Carwin is a nice guy but, a way OVERRATED fighter! He is only in this spot because there is no one else to fill the spot. Name one guy out of Gonzaga that he beat?! So a win over Gonzaga gets you a title shot these days?

Carwin Vs Mir = LOSS Carwin Vs Big Nog = LOSS Carwin Vs Brock = LOSS

You guys are smokin something if you think he could hang with any of these guys.

• dpk says:

I’d love to see Carwin v Mir. Make it happen, if it happens in March or early April then the winner could potentially be ready to fight Brock when he returns around July. Carwin needs a fight anyway, he hasn’t fought since last March. Either way, the winner has an even more credible claim to the number 1 contender when they fight Brock.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Not a fan of Carwin at all. If he gets in the cage and fights well against fighters that have good records a few times and shows me he is a true contender I will start to change my attitude but he has never faced a top fighter besides Gonzaga (and I think he was getting schooled before Gonzaga got sloppy) and his attack on Lesnar for disrespecting the fans was a little much. The fans were booing him so he gave the finger, so what?, as if he really cares about that and if he does…well what a little b#tch.
    Let the negative ticks roll in.

• danw84 says:

As I’ve stated many times, I haaaaate Mir, but I’d be pretty into seeing him fight Carwin. I’m a fan of Carwin’s, but I really have no opinion on how that fight would end. I just don’t know. Mir really impressed me on Saturday. I think it would be an awesome fight though.

I still want Carwin vs Lesnar first though. I just really like the idea of two giants who have really good wrestling, great athleticism (although Carwin’s COULD be a little suspect considering he never lets his opponents stay awake long enough for him to break a sweat), and stupidly heavy hands going at it.

Half of the fights we’ve seen from Brock in the UFC are against Mir. Yeah, it’s cool that Mir is putting on a lot of muscle and working his ass off to fight Lesnar again, but I want to see other people fight him too. Carwin, Nog, Cain, etc. If Mir looks like he did on Saturday in his next 2 or so fights, yeah I’d be all for him taking on Lesnar again (whether for a title or not), but he needs to understand there is a pretty talented line already waiting.

• Jstew3785 says:

• danw84 says:

Jstew3785: Mir vs Carwin fights the winner of Big Nog vs Cain for the interim title (if Lesnar isn’t healthy enough to defend in a timely manner)

So not only take a title shot from him, don’t even let him fight automatically in the interim? That’s messed up.

• danw84 says:

Well according to an email Carwin sent out through his website,

“A message to all members of Shane Carwin Fan Community
    I have an opponent and date. More details will follow stay tuned.”

So you might just be right Jstew.