Andrei Arlovski vs. Fabricio Werdum possible for Strikeforce

Fabricio WerdumIn what comes as two separated bits of news, according to Strikeforce heavyweight Fabricio Werdum his next fight will most likely come in either February or March of next year against a somewhat unlikely opponent.

While former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski has not been announced as having officially signed with the organization, with the recent signing sweepstakes by Strikeforce that has included fighters such as Dan Henderson and Bobby Lashley in recent days, no athlete seems out of reach at this point for the rapidly rising fight promotion.

Werdum and Arlovski are no stranger as the two highly respected heavyweights first met up at UFC 70 in April of 2007. A bout “The Pitbull” out of Belarus ended on top of via unanimous decision.

Arlovski hasn’t seen any action outside of beating down a tyrant on MTV’s Bully Beatdown since being knocked out in consecutive outings to the likes of Fedor Emelianenko and Brett Roger, while Werdum recently bounced back from a knockout loss suffered to Junior dos Santos the UFC by racking up back to back wins over Mike Kyle and Antonio Silva.

“I must fight in February or March, and I imagine that it could be against (Andrei) Arlovski”, said Werdum in a recent conversation with Tatame.com. “I lost to him by 2×1, it was an ugly fight, nobody liked, but I never choose opponents, I can fight anyone, but then I wanna fight Fedor”, Werdum said, talking about his last fight, against Silva.

“It was one of the toughest fights I’ve ever done, for sure. He’s very tough guy, he’s strong and has a heavy hand”

• nate says:

solid fight, ill watch and if arlovski get’s ko’d again he should ask to fight with headgear.

• fanoftna33 says:

This is a great comeback fight for Andrei, as Werdum doesnt exactly have ko power but is still a threat to beat him. I like both fighters but am pulling a little more for AA here and hopefully he finishes the fight this time unlike the last time they met.

• Scott H. says:

While I’d certainly watch (for free) the first fight certainly wasn’t exciting (as Werdum points out).

But, what I think is interesting, if you want to read more into this…

If Werdum is not getting the next shot at Fedor, does this mean Overeem is finally going to defend his belt against Fedor?

• Jak says:

Yay!

One of the worst fights i have ever seen gets a rematch… nothing like watching 2 guys dodge and weave and slap each other for 15 minutes….

• Niv says:

Exciting times in mma that’s for sure. SF is rapidly bringing back a rivalry that could one day be equal to the Pride and UFC rivalry.

Arlovski is still one of the best and most dangerous HW’s in the world, getting ko’d by Fedor and Rogers should never be a black mark on anyone’s record.

Hopefully AA’s psyche is ready for a serious test again.

• Nick Havok says:

I mean we have already seen these guys in what was widely remembered as a boring fight. What would be the point of doing it again?

• roshambo says:

If Arlovski can get back on track and they actually fight this time, it could provide some fireworks. If all it ends up being is a replay of last time just with both guys 3 years older now, I’m not sure what the draw to it will be. I think Strikeforce can make better fights than this but that said, I guess I would still watch it.

• Makington says:

I’m excited to see Andrei no matter the situation, and added the fact that he’s been training with the infamous Greg Jackson, we will definitely see a much better fighter. Although I also think it’s worth noting that this fight might play out similar to last time. Andrei had lost 2 fights in a row and had beaten an unheralded Marcio Cruz. He had a lot riding on his fight with Fabricio, and this situation is not so different. He is once again with his back to the wall and we might see him playing it a bit safer and trying to avoid taking a huge shot with two devastating KO losses in his past 2 fights. Andrei absolutely needs this fight to go his way and a wild reckless brawl wouldn’t be his best bet.

But hey, maybe it’ll be pure fireworks, I know I am excited to see them no matter what.

• Guthookd says:

The situation doesn’t exactly lend itself to a major change in the way the first fight went down. Like before, Andrei is coming off of nasty losses and will no doubt be excercising extreme caution so as to avoid being let go from yet another organization.

I hate to say it, but I am not too stoked about this fight. AA is not quite what he once was.

• shocbomb says:

Why on earth would I or anyone want to watch these 2 fight again in what was one of the most boring fights to this date I ever seen with 2 top HW’s facing off. It made Sylvia vs Arlovski 3 look like a barn burner. Please does any one not remember the train wreck that was there first fight ? It was a mix between slap boxing on Werdums part and and Arlovski who was afraid of the take down who did nothing but circle and throw a leg kick every now and then and the occasional Jab. I don’t understand why strike Force would even consider this rematch out of all the HW’s they could give Arlovski for his first fight ? MATCH MAKING AT ITS WORST

• fetussandwich says:

Guthookd: AA is not quite what he once was.

It has gotten to a point where I was afraid he would lose on Bully Beatdown.

• MacBatty says:

Although the first fight was boring that doesnt mean the 2nd one will follow the same formula.

There are a couple of fights that sucked at first but, Id still like to see what would happen now….Like
    Diego Vs Kos……OK thats the only one I can think of right now but, you get my point! LOL

Go Arlovski!

• Rich S. says:

It’ll be more interesting this time, for Werdum’s striking is far better.. and Andrei pretty much has nothing to lose..

• fanoftna33 says:

Macbatty did you acually see Diego vs Kos the first time they fought on tuf? That was a pretty exciting fight where they both left it all in the cage. I think you are thinking of thier first fight on ppv, and yes that one sucked, but I dont know anybody who thinks thier tuf fight sucked.

• MacBatty says:

Hey TNA…..Yea your right the TUF fight did rock, I was thinking of that PPV debacle when both guys were fighting not to lose

• fanoftna33 says:

Yeah thier ppv fight was really hard to watch espacially after all the build up, but some of the blame can be put on Deigo fighting with a pretty serious staph infection as that was probably his worst showing ever, and he is not a boring fighter.

• Nick Havok: I usually jump up in excitement when Strikeforce announces a fight (because they usually look to be good on paper)…but I just can’t with this one.

Nick..your cup is always half empty lol.

The fight is free so why not watch. Werdum looked better in his last fight and I would like to see he Arlovski has developed a killer instinct. Either way this is still a learning fight for me.

I just watched this fight again on the internet and for sure Arlovski didn’t have a killer instinct but I saw some good exchanges in this fight and some very good countering from Arlovski. I don’t always look for excitement or knockouts during a fight but some of the finer technical work put in by fighters.

• Jak says:

FightFan313: I don’t always look for excitement or knockouts during a fight but some of the finer technical work put in by fighters.

There was no fine technical aspect of that fight. Arlovski was a former champ and Werdum was just coming as a high level contender from overseas, and they both fought like scared amateurs not wanting to lose.

What aspect of “finer technical work” are b*tch slaps in a fight between to top veterans?

Actually, nevermind.

• Angry Mike says:

Arlovski was defensive and fighting not to lose in the first match up. It was boring, and if I remember correctly, it was one of the fights that resuledt in him being cut from UFC. Losing twice in a row won’t make him more aggessive, imo. And his chin seems to be getting worse, not better. I guess I’ll watch this one, if it happens, with no expectations. If it turns out to be a good fight after all, it’s a pleasant surprise. If it’s another snoozer, then there’s no disappointment.

• neijia says:

Will watch as well with no expectations. I really want to see AA come back though. The dude is good. He could use some sports/performance psych coaching (How about some Tony Robbins AA, lol? … just not Diego’s YES cartwheel) if he hasn’t been doing that already.

• Jstew3785 says:

Arlovski was not the #2 HW in the world for nothing. The dude’s got talent. Obviously there are some other issues but I for one cannot wait to see him fight again. I think this time off has been good for him and hopefully he’ll come back stronger for it. I heard he was training with Greg Jackson, anyone know for sure if that is true?