Analyzing A One Sided Beatdown: B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez

bj pennThe numbers don’t lie and the truth of the matter is that Diego Sanchez found himself trapped in his own personal “Nightmare” this past Saturday evening at UFC 107 as the latest data retrieved from Fight Metric points directly to the facts to support what we all saw with our own eyes: A one sided demolition at the hands of UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn.

Penn landed nineteen times the strikes Diego did by a margin of 150 to 8, meaning that for every time Diego snuck a shot in, B.J. responded with an overwhelming nineteen of his own.

Here’s a round by round breakdown of the strikes landed by both fighters:

Round 1: Penn – 35, Sanchez – 2

Round 2: Penn – 24, Sanchez – 2

Round 3: Penn – 41, Sanchez – 1

Round 4: Penn – 25, Sanchez – 2

Round 5: Penn – 25, Sanchez – 1

In total, Diego landed seven strikes to the head and just one to the body, with all of his strikes coming on the feet. The outmatched challenger ended up landing two strikes in the clinch, and six while separated standing, while not landing a single punch on the ground.

B.J. did the majority of his dirty work in the clinch fending off a succession of Sanchez takedown attempts, landing a total of 90 strikes in the clinch, 26 on the canvas and 34 while separated on the feet.

Widely regarded as one of the hardest men to take off of his feet in the world, Penn may very well be the single hardest fighter to take down in the sport as he successfully stuffed every single one of Diego’s 27 takedown attempts, and furthermore hasn’t been taken down as a lightweight since his 2003 strangling of Takanari Gomi at Rumble on the Rock IV.

A dominant performance by one of the most dominant champion’s this young sport has ever seen.

• Nick Havok says:

This whole article is stuffed with so many mindboggling statistics that I don’t even know where to begin.

1. BJ landed 19 strikes to every 1 of Diego’s.

2. BJ stuffed all 27 of Diego’s takedown attempts (that has to be some kind of record).

3. BJ hasn’t been taken down since Takanori Gomi did it in 2003.

WTF! These stats are off the freaking chain! Unbelievable!

I’m not even a BJ Penn fan…but holy moly! Long live the champ!

• xtreme_machine says:

Man imagine how Sanchez is feeling right now.

I know he is mentally strong but this has to break the man’s spirit.

• Nick Havok says:

xtreme_machine: Man imagine how Sanchez is feeling right now. I know he is mentally strong but this has to break the man’s spirit.

I know exactly how you feel.

Seriously, the man got brutalized…big time.

• roshambo says:

It seems Diego got rocked in the first round and just didn’t seem to think BJ could hurt him that bad. He just went into defensive mode for the whole fight and shut it down. It looked like he just wanted to try and get out of there in one piece and he didn’t even do a good job at that. BJ is a beast for sure. I feel sorry for whoever gets their face smashed in by him next.

• Pajamashark says:

Poor Diego. From YES to depressed.

I give him credit tho, the look on BJ’s face alone at the start of the fight would have had me crapping my pants.

• Pajamashark says:

Oh, I forgot to add Herb Dean is THE MAN!

• sides666 says:

poor diego the ufc had better find some new challengers for bj before he starts to slow down when the gap of talent grows bj tends to relax

• MMApride19 says:

Wow, those stats are staggering. However, not surprising. I thought BJ Penn would dominate Sanchez, but not in the way that he did. He quite literally did brutalize Sanchez. I do give Sanchez credit though, he is one tough son of a bitch to take the amount of damage he was taking, and still not giving up. He was helpess, but showed heart.

• dstager says:

There is no way to hype up BJ’s next title defense. It would be laughable at this point to hear Joe Rogan try to convince us that anyone in the LW division has a prayer of dismantling BJ Penn.

• moosebaby02 says:

ya i give him credit as well for not trying something different than trying to take Penn down 27 TIMES.
    I think after the 10th time i was going to try something elase like Plan B, C, D, E,
    Sorry but who goes into a champion fight with the one gameplan.
    roshambo is right
    “It seems Diego got rocked in the first round and just didn’t seem to think BJ could hurt him that bad. He just went into defensive mode for the whole fight and shut it down. It looked like he just wanted to try and get out of there in one piece and he didn’t even do a good job at that.”
    I know BJ is one his own planet when it comes to 155 but Deigo was suppose to be one to with alll his talents be able to put a stop Penn, and he made it look like me sparing with my self in the mirror (no i dont do that……alot lol)
    Sorry Diego not bagging on you man. get well

he hasnt been taken down since 2003???? Thats F-ing nuts.

• Dufresne says:

That’s one reason he’s still called the prodigy. He’s an absolute monster anywhere the fight takes place. His boxing has to be top 5 in MMA, including retired pro-boxers, and his Jiu Jitsu is simply world class.

I had no idea he had a staggering 19-1 advantage on the feet, but I knew it was bad. Every single time Diego would move in he would get tagged at least twice and he hardly ever landed anything.

After that first knockdown by BJ, Diego just looked tentative. After seeing his response, you had to know it was going to be a bad night for the Nightmare.

• bill says:

Too bad Diogo didn’t have the perm to go with his new baloon face. Maybe he won’t com into the ring with that stu[pid :i’m a tough guy look on his face any more”

• matt says:

This fight proved the true dominance of BJ Penn. He is the most well rounded figher in the sport. He has everything. The best boxing in the sport, the best bjj in the sport and his wrestling although not the best is top notch, especially when it comes down to takedown defense. I dont think their is any lightweight in the world who can beat him with his new outlook of the sport. Diego is a beast and has beaten some of the best fighers in the world, and the way he lost to Penn made him look like an ameteur. I think the ufc should match up Griffin vs. Edgar, and have the winner of that fight, fighter Maynard if he is able to get by Diaz which I believe he will. The the winner of that fight will be the true number one contender at lightweight. In the mean time if Penn doesnt want to sit on the side lines while that plays out he could take a fight against somebody such as Swick or Kampmann at welterweight as they are both mid-tier fighters and would allow us to see if Penn has what it takes to compete for the welterweight gold.

• Those numbers are more lop sided than I have every seen, mma or boxing. I thought Diego would have pressed the action a lot more. “come and fight me BJ, I’m right hear” His last fight with Guida and the one b4 with Stevenson made me really think that he wanted it more than that. Man… BJ just seems to make fast quick guys look slow and somehow he makes powerful guys look week. BJ is outa this world. Yahbahwoooo!!!

• Makington says:

Diego hit BJ 8 times?! I could have sworn it was something like 0. :)

Those are some extremely staggering statistics, but I hope BJ never finds out about them. If he does, he might get it into his head again that maybe he doesn’t have to train as hard as he does when he wins so devastatingly. Diego is going to have a hard time walking around until his next fight with how embarrassed he got, but I give him all the respect in the world for hanging in and never even come close to giving up. I know personally that if I were getting beat that bad I would probably just lay down and die, but Diego kept pushing. It was the kind of heart that BJ himself doesn’t show, when he couldn’t make the call for round 5 against GSP.

I always find it more entertaining when the champ doesn’t seem invincible so that the challenger might actually have a chance, but I don’t see anyone taking BJ’s belt for a long long time.

• Angry Mike says:

The outcome wasn’t really in doubt, but Diego was his own worst enemy. He was so tight and tense and wound up that he couldn’t fight. In contrast, BJ was relaxed and calm and threw punches and combos with relative ease. That was the worst Diego I can ever recall seeing.

• JTfromCharlotte says:

If Diego Sanchez or Kenny Florian can’t give Penn a run for his money, Maynard and/or Edgar don’t stand a chance. Probably not even if they came at BJ at the same time.

• buzzcramp says:

No doubt BJ put on an awesome performance.. better than I ever thought he would or could. But the one big question I have, and I guess time will tell, is how long can he keep up this kind of focus with nobody to offer him a real challenge? It always seems like in MMA and boxing as soon as a fighter gets recognized for being basically unbeatable, they begin to believe it and get beat. I hope BJ is able to find a way to push himself to be the best he can even though he may not need to any time in the near future.

• buzzcramp says:

Angry Mike:…Diego was his own worst enemy.He was so tight and tense and wound up that he couldn’t fight.In contrast, BJ was relaxed and calm and threw punches and combos with relative ease.

That’s really a great observation.. I agree 100%. Not that he would’ve won, but if he was able to relax even a fraction of how relaxed BJ was it would’ve made a world of difference.

• mu_shin says:

Thought Diego looked like a beaten fighter coming out for the second round. Respect to him for not throwing in the towel, and taking a beating like a man.

How incredible is Penn’s balance against the fence and in the clinches? Diego could get no purchase for the takedown, and just kept eating shots. Nastiest cut I’ve ever seen in the ring…

• qat says:

buzzcramp:

the difference is, bj was already beaten bad in ww, and my guess is that sooner or later he will try to attack there again. he still has a goal.
    the type of guys you mean were already champions with no goal other then to stay where there are, which can be a hindrance for the motivation, especially for talented guys like bj. but if you still have a big goal, a nemesis named gsp, that may not be the case.

• Dufresne says:

mu_shin: Thought Diego looked like a beaten fighter coming out for the second round.Respect to him for not throwing in the towel, and taking a beating like a man.How incredible is Penn’s balance against the fence and in the clinches?Diego could get no purchase for the takedown, and just kept eating shots.Nastiest cut I’ve ever seen in the ring…

Absolutely agree. He looked stunned and beaten from the first knockdown in the first round. Diego has never run into that sort of precision + power in his career, but to be honest he shouldn’t have unless he had fought a real champion. Sadly he fought a real champ in BJ. BJ is on an entirely different level; his takedowns are ridiculous (27 stuffs against anyone counts as ridiculous), his striking is world classs (19:1 in the standup game? Jesus Christ!), and his BJJ is world class (oh wait, we didn’t even see that. Didn’t he win the BJJ championship in a record time frame?)

• Sans_Peur says:

RE: mu_shin: “.How incredible is Penn’s balance against the fence and in the clinches?”

Anyone else remember when Penn came back after disappearing for a few years and took on Hughes? At the time, Matt Hughes was thought to have some of the best wrestling and ground control in the game. Penn was injured in the second, and fell apart in the third, but I remember the take down defense he was showing in rounds 1 and 2… against Hughes, who at the time could brute strength just about anyone he wanted to the ground… was just sick. I remember Hughes shooting for a single and Penn basically just handing Hughes his leg, dropping to the splits, and just punching him in the head the whole time. If not for that rib injury, I think Penn would have won that fight.

I think what throws people the most about Penn’s take down defense is that it’s not exactly traditional. He doesn’t sprawl in quite the same way as most fighters – he’ll let you have a leg, but just balance ’till he gets his angle then pull the leg back out. It’s the take down defense of someone who’s not that worried about being on the ground in the first place, and coupled with his obscene flexibility, his defense is truly the stuff of legend if you ask me. Well, if you ask just about anyone, really, especially anyone he’s fought since Gomi, apparently… =P

• Unabomberman says:

@ Sans_Peur:

Anyone at 155, that is.

GSP manhandled the poor guy. I can only hope that now that he’s training properly he’ll be a better matchup to his eventual meet with GSP, this time after putting some quality mass…hopefully.

• elkymbo says:

Nick Havok:
    I know exactly how you feel.I went to sleep last saturday night, thankful I was not Diego Sanchez. Then I woke up a few times in the middle of the night thinking, “I bet Diego’s face hurts right now!”Seriously, the man got brutalized…big time.

Ha ha you think of Diego when you sleep.