Frank Mir chokes out Cheick Kongo at UFC 107

frank_mirIn one of the most impressive performances of his decorated career, former UFC champion Frank Mir displayed to the world exactly how serious he truly is about regaining the title he once held not that long ago, as he absolutely dismantled Cheick Kongo in every area when it was all said and done during their meeting at UFC 107.

The two heavyweights began sizing one another up before Kongo began to attempt to tee ff when he was sent crashing to the ground from a big hook from Mir. It was all downhill from there for the towering Wolf’s Lair trained striker as Mir swarmed all over him, sinking in the fight ending guillotine choke to seal the deal and turn Cheick’s light switch off for a moment or two following the conclusion of the bot.

The question that has to be asked at this point is this: Coming off of his loss to Brock Lesnar, is it fair to recognize Mir as the top contender to the heavyweight crown in the UFC?

• Dufresne says:

That left hook was nasty! I don’t think his standup is quite on Kongo’s level, but it’s definitely at a higher level than I expected.

I don’t think it’s quite fair to say he’s the top contender yet, I still think that the current top contender is Carwin, although an argument could be made for whoever wins the Velasquez v Nogueira fight.

• neijia says:

Mir simply IS a top contender. He’s beat Nog easily. Beat Kongo easily. Beat Lesnar after being dominated. He needs to take on Carwin though.

• fanoftna33 says:

I hope we see Mir vs the winner of nog vs Cain

• fetussandwich says:

That’s definitely the fight we see next, no question.

• Unabomberman says:

Ouch…poor Kongo. He gotta be feeling what Mir felt when Lesnar crushed him.

Hard to lose to a loudmouth.

• Bad Monkey says:

For the record, Mir hit him with a straight left, not a hook.

• atreezy says:

Clearly it is horrible luck to turn your back on an opponent during weight ins. Regardless, Mir gets better every outing since his motorcycle accident…and he seems to be gaining size so that the big men can’t curbstomp him. Lesnar is still the biggest in the division though, and it looked like he was playin cat n mouse with Mir last time. I’m ready for the trilogy

• dpk says:

Mir made a big statement tonight, and his added size is another factor that will have to be dealt with in the future. If Lesnar is going to be out too long we might see Mir v Carwin, for an interm belt. Of course Dos Santos, Velasquez and Nog could all stake their claim to a shot in the next 2 months. It is going to be a great 2 months for the HW division, or at least as good as it gets without the Belt actually on the line.

• Connor Cobain says:

• Unabomberman says:

Connor Cobain: OK the moment I saw that Mir had bulked up I new that he was serious, more motivated than he has ever been and ready to fight. I think Mir vs. Carwin would be crazy, a war of the first 2 minutes. But honestly Mir needs at leased two wins to be able to fight for a belt and Carwin’s the #1 contender so that fight would have to be an interim which means that Mir needs a different fighter. Velasquez is all booked with Noguera which sucks because Mir would destroy Cain. So I think Do Santos is the right contender.

Isn’t Dos Santos already tied to a fight, already? I do agree with you, but the scene with the heavyweight picture is becoming really rarified, and depending on who–and how–wins the fight between Nog and Cain, it could get even stranger. It’s a toss up, I think.

AND it’s all still hanging in whether or not Brock can make a full recovery, and if he does, whether he can come from his rehabilitation in peak physical condition.

But yes, a Dos Santos/Mir would greatly work towards clearing the picture.

• atreezy says:

Ugh….only one beer left. anytway….does anyone else need to see what Dos Santos can do on the ground/? I’m all about well rounded fighters, and I just can trust someone that hasn’t benn tested on the ground. as far as i know, santos hasn’t had to even go there yet. just curios tho

• qat says:

wow, i was very impressed by that performance, and if mir vs. carwin would happen, i would bet my money on mir for that. he knows what he is doing.
    the hw picture is very very exciting at the moment. lets get them big guys going to battle it out!

• neijia says:

Excited as well. I don’t want to say I told you so but I was defending Mir two days ago when everyone was trashing him (for his brutal honesty, not as much his actual skills).

One other side comment. A “belt” is just a marketing fiction and a piece of hardware. We see that fact in the “interim belt” most clearly. It is just b.s. except for the case of GSP, Silva, and Penn (clearly the best in their divisions), it is totally meaningless. The only way to know who is the “champ” or “the best” is to have a tournament with some matchups determined by chance, not a promoter. Then, the person who emerges victorious is really the champ. Except that’s still academic because Mir and Carwin can’t fight, say, Fedor. So … given it’s a marketing fiction created by clever promoters, I don’t really care if Lesnar can’t fight while he’s recovering. For that matter, I don’t care if no one can beat Penn, Silva, or GSP. Let’s just see great matchups for the “#1 contender” fiction. Especially great would be a tournament to determine that status.

• neijia says:

To further illustrate the marketing fiction point, just look at the BCS controversy, especially from last year when Texas was essentially put out of the national championship game unjustly (imo). Leagues can do the best they can but it ain’t perfect. Best format is the March Madness format. Greatest tournament in all sports. Better than the World Cup because soccer/football has the dumbest endings (shootouts) – about as dumb as mma decisions but I guess better since there is a winner. Maybe mma should have something stupid like that. sorry for the rambling. thumbs down away, lol!

• Bradical says:

Where do any of you think that Carwin’s the #1 contender? Carwin’s hardly fought anyone in the HW division worth mentioning, other than Gonzaga. Mir’s already taken on Nogueria, Lesnar and now Kongo. I would say that Mir’s up next. However, I do say Mir takes on Carwin. But no way has Carwin earned a shot yet w/o fighting the “Who’s Who?” in the HW division. Mir put on the size cuz he knew that was the only way he’d have a shot against Lesnar’s massive size/strength. When, or if, they meet again…I got Mir’s KOing Lesnar.

• xtreme_machine says:

Mir vs Brock 3 in 2010

• Guthookd says:

That was a great performance by Frank Mir. Well done. Did what he had to do on the feet and then sealed the deal quick on the ground. He finished it way faster than I thought he would.

I think that Lesnar is going to be out for a while and that Frank Mir and Shane Carwin should now fight for an interim belt. In the unfortunate case that Lesnar cannot return, the interim belt becomes the legit HW belt and it’s a done deal. Otherwise, when Brock is healthy (if it is within a year to so) they unify.

• drstu says:

how has kongo looked in his last several fights? given the cuts made in the organization over the last few months should he be worried? or is there not enough top heavyweights at this time for the ufc to consider this?

• Makington says:

Bad Monkey: For the record, Mir hit him with a straight left, not a hook.

If I remember correctly it was kind of an overhand left more than anything. I think he just kind of dipped his body down and threw the left right over his head and almost put Kongo out cold.

I think it was xtreme_machine who was the only one on here who predicted Mir by KO before the fight. He probably almost crapped himself when he saw Kongo drop like a bag of bricks. Hell, I almost crapped myself when it happened.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Mir looked good but Kongo is not even a top 20 in my opinion so it was…not an easy fight for Mir but 1 he should win. I hope that he faces top guys next like Nog, Valasquez, Dos Santos etc and then a rematch with Lesnar is something to look forward to.

• neijia says:

Bad Monkey: For the record, Mir hit him with a straight left, not a hook.If Brock is going to be out for a while, set Carwin up against Mir with the winner being the CLEAR #1 contender.

if you mean this one: http://i50.tinypic.com/a5ggi0.jpg – it looks like more of a hook. almost like the “Fedor punch”.

• Angry Mike says:

Where are all the Mir haters from before the fight? Windstorm called him the most overrated fighter in MMA. Still think that? If so, what’s that make Kongo? Come on, let’s hear the chin noise now.

• qat says:

drstu:

dont think so, there are still some battles to be fought for him. buentello or struve could be possible next. we’ll see. but he is in danger if he does not deliver next time.

• bigbadjohn says:

I can hear that Mir bandwagon picking up speed again. Kongo is barely a gate-keeper, none-the-less, Mir looked very impressive not only with his well known submission skills but also with his newly found striking prowess. He is definitely a contender but even with his new beefed up body, I still can’t see him anywhere but on his back against Brock. I’d sure like to see Frank and Cain though. Cain would put a hurting on him and we’d see how Frank’s conditioning is after 25 pounds gained.

• danw84 says:

I hate Mir.

I hate him so much.

Man he looked good.

• elkymbo says:

You know what shits me the most about Mir?

The fact that he can back himself up.

Insert Mariuz Pudzianowski to tear off his arms and beat him to death with them…..that’d be awesome.

• GassedOut says:

I’m not a big fan of Mir or his personality, but man he looked good. Good call, Xtreme! Mir by KO. ::tips hat:: I think his next fight should be Dos Santos if he’s available, but for some reason, I think he’s fighting Gilbert Yvel at UFC 108.

• dstager says:

“Of course Mir took the opportunity to make his ambition to face off with Brock Lesnar in a rematch once the UFC heavyweight champion can make a full recovery public in the post fight interview with Joe Rogan, and based on this evening’s performance it’s hard to argue against it.”

This is one of the longest sentences I have ever read.

• Niv says:

i actually am very impressed with this win and how much muscle Mir has put on.

I think Mir vs Brock III would be a very intriguing match up if Brock can get healthy again. I still think Big Nog is the UFC’ best HW, but this version of Mir does look very impressive and serious about what he wants to accomplish.

As for Kongo I agree he’s a gatekeeper and nowhere near being a contender, but the performance here looks even more impressive when contrasting it to Velasquez’s performance against Kongo.

• Nick Havok says:

Could you imagine if Mir would have hit Lesnar like that?

LOL!

TIM-BER!!!

• roshambo says:

Great fight and a very quick and vicious ending. It looked like Kongo tried to tap with his hand that was against the cage but they never showed the original angle in the replays so it was hard to tell if he tapped. For where his hand was in relation to the ref, the ref would not have been able to see it. Just curious if it looked like Kongo tried to tap to anyone else or if he just went lights out.

I saw something that Dana White said the HW title picture will become clear in the next 6 weeks. I now wonder if that means Lesnar is on the Mend and will start training again in a month or so and this in 6 weeks he will announce the next title defense? or if it means he will make an interim belt. There are going to be some interesting fights at HW in 2010. If Lesnar comes back, Mir fights like he did last night, If Nog can show his former skills and with Carwin, Dos Santos etc. all in the mix, it will make for some great match ups and hopefully some title shots. The HW division has really gone from run of the mill to exciting in no time flat.

• Nick Havok says:

I just thought of something…

• roshambo says:

Nick Havok: I just thought of something…With Frank’s newfound hatred of Brock (well, newfound to us anyway), his new beefier body and utter destruction of Kongo I sure hope the UFC doesn’t push him to the front of the heavyweight title line and make him the #1 contender.I mean yeah, I want to see Mir-Lesnar 3 as much as anyone now…but let’s not forget about Shane Carwin.He is the rightful #1 contender…and I sure hope he doesn’t get screwed over with all of this.

If they do, don’t be surprised to see Carwin feel disrespected and sign with Strikeforce when his contract is up. Carwin was awarded his shot and through no fault of his own, Brock got sick and the match was cancelled. He should still get first crack when Brock returns unless Brock is out long term and he ends up taking a couple losses in the mean time. But if that happens the whole division would be up in the air. Sadly though, nothing in the UFC is ever guaranteed. Just ask all the guys that were guaranteed a title shot only to have it yanked away because someone else put on a good show in their fight and got to jump the line.

• fanoftna33 says:

No way the ufc puts Mir ahead of Carwin, but he should be in the top 4 of the contenders list I think.
    Also does Kongo remind anybody else of a modern day Cro Cop, great striking(or so we hear from the ufc but he has yet to really show us) but no ground game and a so-so chin. He has been dropped by Mir and Herring who arnt the best strikers out there and he hit Cain with everything he has and couldnt put him out. I say give the loser of Dos Santos vs Yvel to Kongo and if Kongo loses that fight the ufc can drop him.

• MMA-LOGIC: Mir looked good but Kongo is not even a top 20 in my opinion so it was…notan easy fight for Mir but 1 he should win. I hope that he faces top guys next like Nog, Valasquez, Dos Santos etc and then a rematch with Lesnar is something to look forward to.

Ya , I think there are alot of guys that could beat Kong. Dos Santos does seem like the logical opponent. With what is going around about Big Nog being sick for fight he had with Mir I would like to see that because I don’t think Nog will win. Dos has the best chance I think. Cain would get owned by Mir and Carwin isn’t quick enough to beat Mir.

Velasquez should fight Dos Santos and Big Nog should fight Carwin then the winners should fight each other and Mir should get the winner of that but Mir has to fight someone in the meantime?? How about Gabriel Gonzaga ..like Carwin said. You can’t really judge a performance by a quick win. Geeze I guess I can’t judge any of Carwins performances then..LOL.

• keyboardwarrior says:

I hated to see Mir win so dominantly but gotta hand it to him, looked good