Belcher, Johnson, Gouveia, and Grant earn 65K Fight Night Bonuses

The Ultimate Fighting Championship have issued their fight night bonuses for UFC:107 Penn vs. Sanchez. On this night it would be a quartet of undercard fighters who would walk away 65 thousand dollars richer for their efforts.

Submission of the Night went to TUF  runner up  DaMarques Johnson for  his  Triangle Choke submission of Edgar Garcia.  Johnson who was caught in a choke early on came back via up kick and was able to secure the bonus securing Triangle and the win.

Like  Johnson, T.J. Grant survived early trouble before  knocking out  Kevin Burns with a combination of a right hook and devastating hammerfists.   The stoppage came at  4:57 of the first frame and was impressive enough to earn  Knockout of the Night honors.

Alan Belcher strengthened his case for main card status tonight with his second  Fight of the Night performance.  Belcher who defeated Wilson Gouveia  is a back and forth stand up battle made it very clear in the days leading up to this fight that he felt slighted being relegated to the undercard.

• joshuawood says:

Can’t believe Mir didn’t get submission of the night…he choked Congo out cold.

• takimeathead says:

True, but Johnson’s reversal of the ENTIRE FIGHT was just amazing. He got caught hard, then he was wrapped in a choke, he then manages to up kick and slap on his own triangle just a minute after! That was a climactic ending.

• atreezy says:

Agreed. Not much else you can add to that….it was a Hollywood ending. Plus, I have a feeling Johnson could use that win bonus far more than Mir!

• dpk says:

I’m sure there were some nice un-reported locker room bonuses handed out on this night. Struve, Buentello, Mir, and Florian all had great performances

• 27jride says:

Mir only got paid $40,000 for his fight against Lesnar (who made $250,000) so I doubt he made much more than that last night- he’s one SERIOUSLY underpaid fighter for his rank & popularity. I’m sure not getting the bonus hurt him but he’s SO obsessed with Brock he probably won’t even realize he’s getting screwed ’til after they fight again (if they ever do).

• Bad Monkey says:

Definitely good to see DeMarques get the Sub of the Night. I was afraid they’d just hand it over to Mir. Mir’s choke was nice, but DeMarques really pulled his so fast and out of nowhere. Plus, it’s nice to see some of the undercard guys rewarded with a nice big payday. I’m sure Mir made somewhere in the neighborhood of 200K anyway, so he won’t miss it too much.

• 27jride says:

I hope for Frank’s sake he’s got a win bonus clause in his contract because I couldn’t believe how bad he got bent over in his loss to Lesnar- I don’t know how much he made when he beat Brock so we’ll find out when the salaries are released by the athletic commision.

• MacBatty says:

1st of all Mir isnt a draw so he makes about what he should. Ive never bought a UFC PPV because of Frank Mir.

Guys like Brock and Kimbo make what they make because millions of people are buying a PPV that they dont usually buy.

I would say 40 K for about a Min and a half of work is pretty good.

• 27jride says:

A minute and a half of work huh? Yeah I guess the training is just a hobby. I’m sure you haven’t ever bought a PPV because of Mir, neither have I, I’ve bought every PPV for the last 4yrs regardless of who’s on it and I can appreciate that this is their career, they’re at the very top of their sport, and it’s not like they’re getting paid ONLY for the few minutes in the cage- these guys don’t have other jobs that support them ’til fight night, they train their asses off and do shit that we can’t do.

• qat says:

i liked penn/sanchez and struve/buentello more.
    but overall very good card.

• MacBatty says:

• Makington says:

qat: hmm, the belcher/gouveia fight was nice, but it was a little to short (only 3 minutes) to become fotn in my opinion.
    i liked penn/sanchez and struve/buentello more.
    but overall very good card.

I thought Penn/Sanchez was a shoe-in for FotN. The first minute alone was more entertaining than most other fights. I guess it wasn’t a slugfest, but to me, it was technically brilliant. Seeing someone just picking apart their opponent with superior technique is just beautiful to me. I also thought Florian/Guida had a good shot for FotN. Maybe it’s Dana’s way of saying sorry to Belcher who was pissed as hell for not being main card, and as hopefully a going away present to Wilson. I hope we don’t have to see him waste his talent in the octagon anymore.

• Makington says:

MacBatty: For the Record I haven’t missed a PPV since Tito Vs Chuck 1….Ive seen ALL the UFC, Pride, & StrikeForce shows & PPV’s.Didn’t buy a singe one because of Mir…..You know all those stickers that are on his shorts….He gets paid to wear those…So all those hours of training are pretty much paid for before he gets anywhere near the Octagon.All I’m saying is that 40 GRAND for a Min and a half of work is pretty good in this economy……Sorry Brock makes more but he is what they call a “STAR” so he gets paid as such….

And it’s not just a minute and a half of work overall. The UFC pays him for what ended up being a minute and a half, but he puts much more than that into it. He puts almost 2 straight months into it. 40G’s is still pretty good for 2 months, and he earned much more than that as well. He gets paid about 45 grand just to show mind you, which means he earned 90 grand for his win. Some sponsors will pay up to 75 grand just to have their sticker on your shorts which we don’t see factored in as well. Also there are a lot of costs that come off from your camp, your trainers, managers, and all the business end.

So I wouldn’t say he put just a minute and a half into what he got paid, but he earned a hell of a lot more than 40 grand, and I would call it a fair trade-off.

• MacBatty: All I’m saying is that 40 GRAND for a Min and a half of work is pretty good in this economy……Sorry Brock makes more but he is what they call a “STAR” so he gets paid as such

you train for 15 minutes or 25 ..1 minute is blessing.

• Angry Mike says:

Yeah, all you guys are right. Hell, when you think about it, Mir ought to pay the UFC, and us. After all, we all paid 50 bucks more or less, and that chiseling bastard only gave us 2 or 3 minutes.

• Nick Havok says:

All I have to say is that there were some sick fights on this card and lots of really great performances…I could have seen these awards going out to any number of fighters. So I can’t complain with who they picked.

I was just a little bummed that we didn’t even get to see what the UFC considered ‘The fight of the night’ yet again.

I mean come on UFC, lots of people paid a hefty price to see this card and you couldn’t even show the best fight of the night? That is rather lame in my opinion.

• GassedOut says:

You’re right…I didn’t even see the fight. I would have figured based on what I saw that Buentello/Struve would have been FotN. (Penn/Sanchez was too one-sided a beatdown.)

I hope that there were some serious locker room bonuses handed out to everyone. For a card that really didn’t stack up well on paper, there were a good number of excellent performances.

• Makington says:

The Belcher/Gouveia fight made it onto the broadcast. How could you guys forget the pink shorts, hideous tattoo, and super dreads all sported in one terrible combo by Mr. Belcher?

It went after the Mir fight when that one ended after 90 seconds.

• sexy-yama says:

Belchers win over Go makes me look that much better since I beat him 😀

• Nick Havok says:

My bad.

I meant the Burns-Grant fight.

I mistakenly thought it was FOTN…either way, we didn’t get to see that one. Kinda dissapointing.

• roshambo says:

This card ended up being a pretty solid broadcast. A nice change since the last couple haven’t been as exciting. It’s nice to have a night where almost every fight is finished and in dramatic fashion. It’s nice to see some of the undercard guys get the bonuses for a change as lately it has gone to the top stars but they really could have gone almost any way with this card. So many solid performances.