B.J. Penn cements his legacy with one sided beating of Diego Sanchez at UFC 107

bj pennJoe Rogan couldn’t have put it any better when he described B.J. Penn as “The greatest lightweight in the history of the sport” following the UFC 155 pound champion’s recent thorough dismantlement of Diego Sanchez that capped of UFC 107.

The fight was in danger of ending in the opening moments as Penn blasted Sanchez with a hard right hand as the challenger rushed in, dropping Diego and flurrying with a cyclone of punches before Sanchez regained his senses just as the bout looked as if it was going to be called off.

Sanchez battled back as best he could for five hard rounds, but it was Penn’s ability to stuff all of Diego’s takedown attempts combined with a far superior stand up game that made it apparent that the two were simply in a different league.

Going into the fifth round Sanchez had a severe cut on his bottom lip, but it was a series of strikes in the final round that opened up a gash from hell on Diego’s forehead, prompting a halt to the one sided contest, and a speedy trip to the emergency room for a visit that is sure to include many staples and stitches for the battered and bruised challenger.

An amazingly dominant performance over a gutsy contender for the champion that has left many wondering if B.J. will remain at the top of the lightweight mountain for as long as he sees fit.

• fetussandwich says:

Time to videotape the no cartwheel.

• fetussandwich: Time to videotape the no cartwheel.

LOL!!! I still love Diego though. “Time to video tape the no cartwheel.” That is seriously funny type right there. lmao!

• jding3 says:

Definitely one of the most exciting UFC cards in a long while. the fighters definetely delivered tonight. Plus we got to see one of the most impressive B.J. Penn performances of his career. Who do you give him next? I can’t see Gray Maynard, Frankie Edgar, Tyson Griffin, or any other contender possibly beating him. And definitely not interested in seeing a Sanchez rematch.

• Bad Monkey says:

That was the defintion of ‘Outclassed’. Diego looked like he’d been beaten with a baseball bat at the end and BJ didn’t have a mark on him.

I think BJ has finally reached the same level as GSP and Anderson Silva in that they are all champions who will stay that way until they decide they don’t want it anymore. There’s no one in the world at 155 that can touch Penn at this point.

• atreezy says:

@ Bad Monkey

Agreed. BJ has really shown that his stand up is just as much to worry about as his ground work. He’s just too hard to put on his back….and although he doesn’t have a whole lot for kicks…he feeds punches like its a buffet.

@ fetussandwhich….LOL..hilarious

• atreezy says:

actually come to think of it he did kick diego right in the forehead didn’t he? i guess he’s got it all then

• Unabomberman says:

Echoing the words of Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese: “There is no fate but what we make.”

Sorry Diego. Time to asses some things.

• Connor Cobain says:

Well I think this goes to show that Diego was not the top contender, no offence but Gray Maynard and Frankie Edger really deserve this more than Diego. I don’t think they have a chance against BJ either but at leased they earned there shots.

• dpk says:

If Maynard can handle Diaz convincingly then he will get the next shot, and Edgar isn’t far behind him in line. There are new challenges for BJ, but I also see BJ getting restless again. I could see him fighting Hughes or Kos at 170 before the end of next year.

I’m sure Diego’s next fight will be against Florian, and I’m really looking forward to it.

• submit662266 says:

That crater on Diego’s head was also legendary. Wow!!

• neijia says:

amazing. what we thought but I didn’t think Diego wouldn’t make the distance. at least he wasn’t subbed or KO’ed but sheesh. fights for #1 contender status are probably gonna be more interesting than fights vs BJ. agree about the GSP/Silva status.

• MMApride19 says:

Kind of what i expected from BJ Penn in that fight, but i thought it was going to finish abit quicker. Penn is in another league, and some one stated that he has reached that point where he is in a position like Anderson Silva and GSP, where only themselves are going to be able to decide when they lose. Penn at 155lbs is on another level, there are still challenges for him however, and exciting fights. There are fighters in UFC that would make an exciting match up with BJ Penn… (Edgar and Maynard) and there are fighters out which i think UFC really need to get in UFC for a fight with BJ… (Aoki, Alvarez). I just dont think any would beat him, but would be great match ups none the less.

I think if a fighter like Miguel Torres put on some bulk, and came to the UFC, had one tune up fight, he could really challenge Penn. He has all the skills… both in Striking and Grappling. He is a very good fighter, i regard him easily as one of the best in the world. I would also love to see it happen, he is still young though, and it could very well happen in the near future!

• Madmax says:

NO!!!!! NO!!!!! NO!!!!!

• moosebaby02 says:

Madmax says:
    December 13, 2009 at 11:49 am (Quote) NO!!!!! NO!!!!! NO!!!!!

i was waiting for that

• xtreme_machine says:

The only one that I think can beat Penn is Jose Aldo.

Just like BJ he is known for KO people yet his ground work is his strong point.

Plus Aldo said that he would not mind moving up or down.

That is way I am officially starting the Aldo vs Penn train.

• Guthookd says:

I have never been a fan of BJ’s antics, but I think I’m completely convinced now that he is one of the best fighters ever. That was a brilliant performance. He kept cool the entire time, boxed perfectly and put on a take-down defense clinic (once again).

A very deserving champing.

• Rich S. says:

Wow, I’m amazed that wasn’t stopped after that first barrage..

Herb’s leg was already in front of BJ he was just waiting to wave the arms..

I’m also amazed at how well Diego recovered after being rocked for the first time in his fighting career..
    He had BJ motherfreaking Penn hit him in the head, unblocked, about 30 times and somehow he managed 4 more rounds..

I hope Diego uses this to better himself..

The only other UFC fighter that stands the slightest chance against BJ at lightweight is Griffin, IMO..
    But, BJ’s size would give him so many problems I almost don’t even want to see it..

Gray Maynard could pose a threat further on down in his career, and Frankie Edgar is a great fighter, but I don’t see either of them dethroning BJ…

Honestly, I can’t wait for BJ to retire..

• Rich S. says:

Rich S.: Just imagine how awesome the fights would be when all the fighters are practically equal..

That’s pertaining to Lightweight title bouts..

• Makington says:

That was one of the best fights I’ve seen in a while. I will pick a fight like this over a slug fest anyday. Seeing Penn pick Diego apart in every single aspect of the fight using pure technique was just awesome to watch. His win was so dominant that I believe he can easily retire undefeated at this weight (since its reinstatement).

I really liked the Aldo vs. Penn idea, although I would still have to give Penn the edge. I’m sure Aldo wouldn’t mind making 10x what he usually makes either, not to mention all the crazy publicity it would give himself along with the WEC. It could sort of ease viewers into the idea that a lot of WEC cards are worth PPV.

Jstew3785 says:
    December 9, 2009 at 11:49 am
    BJ Penn takes this one…. easily. Write that down.

• Jstew3785 says:

I got so many thumbs down for that comment too

• Angry Mike says:

The hardest shots BJ took all night were the head slaps he gave himself after the fight was over. I said it before and I’ll say it again: Mouse of the week gets thrown into the cage with BJ. It doesn’t matter who it is–Sanchez, Florian, Maynard, Edgar, whoever–the outcome is preordained.

• Angry Mike says:

King Mah Mah? Are you out there?

• buzzcramp says:

After last night’s methodical destruction of the “YES man” I take back all the shit I talked about BJ following the GSP fight.

• GassedOut says:

Great win for BJ!

The Prodigy won the fight on technique, and by hitting Diego in three way. 1) Hard. 2) Fast. 3) Repeatedly.

Talk about your one-sided beatdowns! And the titanic-sized gash in Diego’s head! Wow! You could see skull through that. Diego is an awesome fighter, and he got beat down like a dog. Can anyone beat BJ Penn? At this point, I doubt it.

• Nick Havok says:

How do you kick a hole in someone’s head like that?

I mean WTF!

I don’t think I have ever seen a gash that big before. And it’s right up in his forehead too. He will carry around a nice scar for the rest of his life…a little reminder that being the champ is obviously not his destiny.

…at least while BJ Penn is still around.

As for BJ’s next challenger. The only guy I can think of that might be able to throw hands with the champ is Eddie Alvarez. But I fear Penn would walk through him too.

I mean, who else is there?

• submit662266: I think Frankie Edgar needs the next shot at him. I wonder if Jose Aldo could put on some weight and fight him. Absolute legend. BJ has no gaps or weak points in his game.

That crater on Diego’s head was also legendary. Wow!!

Jose does have the next best game out there. That would be a great srap. I still pull heavily for BJ in this one. I think BJ’s head movement is just way to good for a deliberate power puncher like Jose which would give BJ time to snap those quick powerful jabs off. Frankie is really good but more of a trained talent than a natural talent which I think was exposed by Maynard. Franky needs to go threw Florian or Diego next. I just don’t see anyone at this time taking the Belt from BJ. I’m just saying that BJ has fought Machida and went all three rounds and didn’t look bad at all. That is a lot of power for a 155lb guy to take so I don’t think Jose will pose much of a threat.

For Me.. the hunt is still on.

• Niv says:

• baldguy80 says:

Man, I wouldn’t wanna be a lightweight right now.. You work your butt off to become the number one contender, and then you have a focused BJ Penn to look forward to? Ouch..

It’s more exciting to see who’s the number TWO guy in the division…

There’s some great talent at lightweight, but I think BJ’s gonna be bored for the forseeable future.

• Niv: As good as Penn looked in this fight, we shouldn’t be very surprised. Penn at 155lb’s is in his own league and unfortunately there are almost zero fights for him that are even remotely interesting.I like the Alvarez and Aldo suggestions but agree that they’d most likely get walked right through. Oh well, it kind of sucks in some ways when there’s no competition for some of your champions. The only good news is that this is a combat sport and upsets are what it’s all about.

I agree with all of that right there except.. it sucks. I love the number 2,3,4,5 guys just as much as the champs but having these kind of guys like Penn, Anderson Silva, Aldo and GSP (who is solid but the most vulnerable) are very exciting to watch. Watching past fights of number 1 and upcoming number 1 contenders scrap and brawl to the top and then watching them go against true natural talent just to get owned is wonderful to watch. To see how they move and to get a idea of what they are seeing to make it look so easy is a joy for me. Even the Silva vs Leites fight was interesting for me to watch. To see the way Anderson moved in that fight to take Thales off of his game plan you know. When a fighter can just move the body is such a way that the other fighter simply feels that a punch or movement of any kind would not get to the spot they want to contact is beautiful.

I think we are seeing the true evolution of the sport. These Champs will be beat and when they do, the next mold of fighters will be insane to watch because of these current Champs.

Time for me to go have Babies LOL.

• roshambo says:

Sick fight. I can’t say I’m a BJ Penn fan but there is no denying that when he puts his mind to it, there is noone that can beat him at 155. About the only thing Deigo is saying YES to now is when his coach asks him if his head hurts.

With his last couple performances, the only thing this leaves me wondering is how much further into his already stellar legacy he could be if he was as focused as he is now when he was younger. Instead of jumping weight classes and organizations like most people change underwear, if he was focused his whole career and just fought like he has, he would probably be one of if not the best fighters ever. He is already well on his way but man, when his mind is in the right place, BJ Penn is a scary man.

Good Luck to whoever fights him next. They are going to need it.