Injury Woes Continue: Griffin out, Sherk in against Jim Miller at UFC 108

Sean SherkJoe Silva is up against it once again as  Tyson Griffin has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled fight with Jim Miller at UFC 108.  Griffin is reported to have an injury of an undisclosed nature.

The UFC and its athletes have had a bad run of luck lately as numerous fights have been canceled, rescheduled and shuffled around due to injury.

Just mere hours  after learning of Griffin’s injury, the UFC has secured a new opponent for Jim Miller.

MMAWeekly is reporting that  former lightweight champion Sean Sherk has stepped up for fill the void.  Sherk will enter the bout coming off a loss to Frankie Edgar at UFC 98.  Sherk had previously been scheduled to fight Rafaello Oliveira on the undercard of UFC 108.  The change in opponent now moves the former champion back to the main card.

Rafaello Oliveira is still expected to compete on the card with a replacement for Sherk expected soon.

• nate says:

man did jim miller just get a huge chance to make a name for himself.

• fanoftna33 says:

All these great fights getting cancelled sucks. Glad to see they are replacing Griffin with Sherk though, although this means a ud win for somebody as Sherk hasnt ever finished a fight at LW.
    Acually he has only finished 1 fight in the ufc and that was 8 years ago against Tiki.

• Dufresne says:

• Makington says:

This was my FotN pick, and I’ve had a man crush on the Miller brothers for a while now so you can guess how stoked I was for the fight. I was bummed as hell when I heard Griffin was injured, but seeing the replacement, I remain constant on my FotN pick. This is easily Miller’s biggest fight, I am stoked as hell, and I can’t wait for Miller to break the top 10 rankings the way I knew he would a few years ago when I first heard about him.

Yes, I’m biased, it’s nothing against Sherk.

• Scott H. says:

Dufresne: I’m starting to wonder if MMA athletes aren’t getting right to the razors edge when it comes to training. The human body is an amazing creation, but there are limits to what it can do and consistently going beyond that risks injuries.I know these fighters have to push themselves as far as possible to have the best chance to win against other superior athletes, but this growing list of injuries worries me.

Training and competing at a high level obviously take a toll on everyone but Randy, but it you are right, the number of injuries seems abnormally high.

I don’t think it’s just MMA either. My other sporting passion is Rugby, and the injury reports in the professional leagues in the UK are just startling. If I remember right, this year they are running at an average of 30% of players inactive at any given time due to injury. I’m guessing the NFL numbers are high as well, but there it seems the coaches are doing thier best to limit contact in practices…

I wonder if any of the larger camps are tracking and studying the injuries, formally or informally, to see if and how training can be changed to reduce the risk of injury?

• nate says:

make, i forgot ALL about sherk effing up tiki. that makes me warm inside. which haunts me cause i really dont like sherk the man aka beavis on roids. hopefully miler pulls out a sub, i’d realllly enjoy that.

• nate says:

im a reh tard. i meant fan, not make.

• Nick Havok says:

Can we please get these guys some steroids!

…and before you thumbs down me, I just want you to know that I personally think that performance enhancing drugs should be allowed.

Why?

In short, if we have the technology to make the human body perform better…then why should we not be able to take advantage of it?

• Snoop Dogg says:

I think overtraining has alot to do with it also the fact that the quality of food in this world is barely edible. Randy goes to whole foods everyday to get his food for the next and he eats all organic. I am sure this has alot to do with injuries. The poison sorry I mean additives that are put in food rob food of their nutrition and the healing qualities.

Another thing is fighters are so afraid of losing that they will pull out if they aren’t fighting near 100%. I always hated Matt Hughes but I have a lot of respect for how the guy never backed out of a fight even if he was injured. I think the attitude if the right hand is broken hit em with the left needs to be reinstated.

• Makington says:

• roshambo says:

I would agree. It seems over the last year the number of injuries has grown exponentially. I don’t know if it’s a reflection of dramatically altered training techniques or if drug testing has improved and you have guys that were maybe on stuff to help heal and get ready etc. that they can’t take anymore or if it’s just plain carelessness in training camp but they should probably look into it and figure out a way to try and keep these guys healthier. The fighters are the commodity in this sport and the injuries are definately having an impact. The quality of PPV’s since 100 have dropped tremendously as a result of said injuries.

• Nick Havok says:

Makington: Because Nick, that would be the steroids winning you the fight, not you winning it by yourself. And although many people wouldn’t care, I wouldn’t find any glory in winning a fight that I had to use a needle for. Not to mention all the extremely harmful side effects steroids have on your body after a while.

But if it was legal for everyone…then the playing field would still be level.

And It’s not like just taking steroids is going to make you into a beast anyway…they only help in aiding the body to heal itself quicker. The athlete still needs to put the work in.

I also think you are holding onto a lot of myths about steroids (I am just using the term ‘steroids’ as a general term that encompass all performance enhancers) because when taken properly they benefit the body…not hurt it. I mean yeah, if not taken correctly they can have negative consequences…but what drug doesn’t?

Hell, if you drink too much alcohol you can die pretty quickly…but that is still legal isn’t it?

Just saying…I don’t think they are a big deal. If they make the athletes better with no negative side-effects then I say go for it.