Bobby Lashley Signs With Strikeforce

bobbylashleyFormer World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) heavyweight champion and undefeated mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Bobby Lashley has signed a multi-year agreement with STRIKEFORCE and will make his debut for the world championship MMA promotion at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., on Saturday, January 30.

The 6-foot-3 inch, 250-pound Lashley, also a former collegiate wrestling star for Missouri Valley College and member of The United States Army, will face an opponent that has not yet been determined during the live SHOWTIME® telecast of STRIKEFORCE: Miami, the historic, first-ever STRIKEFORCE event in the state of Florida.

In his last MMA start on June 27, 2009, the 33-year-old pulverized and scored a first round (3:17) TKO over 6-foot-5 inch, 350-plus-pound goliath Bob “The Beast” Sapp with a barrage of punches in Biloxi, Miss. The win upped Lashley’s MMA record to 4-0.

“I’m looking forward to fighting for STRIKEFORCE and challenging myself by taking on some of the top heavyweights in MMA,” said Lashley, a native of Junction City, Kan., and resident of Denver, Colo.

Lashley made his MMA debut on Dec. 13, 2008, earning a 41-second TKO over Joshua Franklin after Franklin sustained a cut and could not continue.

Earlier this year, Lashley joined Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling. In his first appearance with the league on July 30, he helped tag team partner Mick Foley defeat superstars Kurt Angle and Kevin Nash.

Tickets for STRIKEFORCE: Miami officially go on-sale tomorrow/Friday, Dec. 11, at the BankAtlantic Center ticket office as well as online at www.Ticketmaster.com or by phone at (800)745-3000.

Doors at BankAtlantic Center open at 7 p.m. The first non-televised, preliminary card fight will begin at 8 p.m.

• xtreme_machine says:

Watch out UFC now you got competition

• ndizzle says:

i really hope they dont throw him in with the top notch,maybe abongo humphreys.

• ndizzle says:

actually i wouldn’t mind seeing him against jeff monson,both are very strong and ground game is there discipline

• Jak says:

Good stuff. I think that mentioning the UFC for this signing is pretty pointless:

xtreme_machine: Watch out UFC now you got competition

Unless it’s being facetious.

But as for the signing. Another solid name. A new hungry fighter, he should put on some good fights. he’s still got a long way to go but it should be fun to watch. I know Lawal has thought about HW… that would be pretty badass… Rogers, Werdum, Silva are definitely a few fights down the road that i fully expect to see.

Roger vs. Lashley. who wouldn’t want to see that. Werdum vs. Lashley. Strong Wrestler against a strong jits fighters(a little early for somebody like Werdum, but he’s gotta step up sooner or later)

good signing.

• qat says:

yep, i like that.

• xtreme_machine: Watch out UFC now you got competition

Sure..another Brock but not as accomplished. Almost but not quite.

Give him time to grow, that what he needs. Joshua Guida took him the distance. This guy is big and strong. With the size.. he will draw some attention. Strikeforce is making some very good moves.

• Dufresne says:

I’m surprised that the UFC didn’t try to gobble this one up. He’s an incredibly talented HW athlete with a real background in collegiate wrestling (sound familiar?)

This is a great signing for several reasons. One, he’s a solid prospect and as long as they don’t over hype him or feed him to the top tier immediately, he should be a real threat in no time at all. Two, and probably more importantly, he’s already established his name. He was a WWE star so there are already thousands if not millions that have heard of this guy. If they put him on a CBS card, the ratings could be incredible.

xtreme_machine: Watch out UFC now you got competition

Facetious or not, with the latest signings, it’s looking like it’s very true.

• Jak says:

Dufresne: , it’s looking like it’s very true.

• qat says:

Jak: But what does it matter? Everybody talks like it has to be some negative rivalry or competition as opposed to just 2 good organizations offering 2 good products.

well, as i do like strikeforce and other orgs, since more mma = good. the problem remains that its not possible that everyone fights everyone. and the thing is, i want to know who is the best fighter in every weight-class, how would fighterX do against fighterY etc. and i dont just want to guess, i want to see it!
    if they are widespread through many orgs, its hard to accomplish that.
    and imho boxing is not a good rolemodel there.., do i really want to have 4 (almost equal) world champions? and its not like a boxer or his management never avoided fights everyone wanted to see.

do i have a good solution? i think there should be a global unified mma association, which has to license all the fighters, referees and stuff, which should do the matchmaking, and which should have the only belts possible. questions remaining, which fight will be in which org, which location and stuff. havent really thought about all that yet. but its too late for that anyway. mma will probably take the path of boxing. :/ wamma tried, but it failed.
    now is the question, do i want a ufc where are the all the best fighters? normally yes, to prevent the boxing path. but since the ufc is a private company driving for profit, it will never be perfectly fair.

• Dufresne says:

I’m a fan of the NFL or MLB setup here. If we could end up with 2 major promoters that could agree with a little bit of cross promotion with one major joint fight card each year, I think we would end up with a clear cut best in each weight class while at the same time offering the fighters options and therefore increasing fighter pay.Plus, think about the bragging rights that would come with it. There would be huge amounts of drama, trash talk, and just hype in general that would be great for the sport all around.
    Do I think that the UFC and SF will join forces in the near future? No. But it took the AFL and NFL 10 years to merge to form the hyper-successful business we know and love today. Do I hope MMA goes that way? Absolutely.

• Nick Havok says:

Strikeforce does it again…signs a talented new prospect.

I love it so much. Scott Coker is the man!

I finally got to watch last week’s Inside MMA last night and something on there really struck me as funny. At the bottom of the screen they scroll quick little blurbs of news and at one point this came across…

Hahahaha! I was laughing my ass off.

…and now Strikeforce has Bobby Lashley too! Hell yeah!

• baldguy80 says:

That man scares me..

• RoadsideGraphix says:

Lashley in my opinion is more talented the Lesnar and just a marketable.

I think the UFC missed the boat on this one.

• Guthookd says:

I wonder if it is really possible for him to maintain that muscle mass without the use of banned substances. Brock certainly doesn’t look like he did when he was in pro wrestling. It will be interesting to see.

A good move by Strikeforce I think.

• jding3 says:

good signing, i wonder if he still plans to do pro wrestling still or if he is just going to focus on mma. That could be a big factor in his sucess. hopefully he focuses on mma.

Also, i love the idea of having two major promotions, where once each year they have have a cross promotion where strikeforce champions face ufc champions. That would be a huge moneymaker for both organizations, but i really can’t see the ufc ever agreeing to anything like that.

• roshambo says:

Good signing. It is nice to see Strikeforce growing like they are. With the CBS deal I’m sure CBS will help cover the salaries of some of the more marketable guys they are getting like Dan Henderson and Bobby Lashley. CBS has seen the kind of ratings they can pull in and know that the ad revenue they can generate with top quality stars on their shows can be huge. As an MMA fan, the other thing I know, the more other organizations try to put on quality shows, the more Dana White tries to make his shows bigger with more star power and they end up offering more free MMA through spike to try and counter program other organizations. In the end I think MMA fans will win two fold with the progress Strikeforce is making. We will get some solid MMA shows from Strikeforce and we should see some frequent solid shows from the UFC over the next year with more free programing. 2010 should be a great year for MMA.

• Nick Havok: * Strike force signs KJ Noons, Melvin Manhoef and Trevor Prangley * UFC signs 42 year-old Renzo Gracie *Hahahaha! I was laughing my ass off.…and now Strikeforce has Bobby Lashley too! Hell yeah!

You do realize Prangley is pushing 40 himself, right?

• ndizzle says:

Sergio Hernandez: You do realize Prangley is pushing 40 himself, right?

• ndizzle: prangley is a beast though and henzo was getting beat up shamrock,til that dq happen

In English, please.

• Nick Havok says:

Sergio Hernandez: In English, please.

Trevor Prangley > Renzo Gracie

• tron7 says:

Relevency?

• Con says:

This guy obviously has unlimited potential talent-wise as well as great marketability. He has that genetic freak type mold like Lesnar but I question if he will put in the work like Lesnar with Lashley still working for TNA. This signing really builds the HW stable of strikeforce along with Lawal, Rogers, Fabricio, Fedor and even potentially Hendo.

• roshambo says:

tron7: “After competing in several matches in both the WWE Raw and SmackDown! shows in 2005 and 2006, Lashley captured the WWE United States Championship by defeating rival “JBL.” During this stint with the league and another in 2007, Lashley wrestled several top superstars, including The Big Show and John Cena.”Relevency?

I kind of wondered the same. How do pretend matches remotley qualify for a fighters resume. He didnt win a belt in the WWE because he faught hard, he won because it is scripted. Why not leave that out and focus on the listed MMA fights he has had and relate him to the WWE in regards to his marketability and notoriety from being there. I mean saying the WWE qualifies him to fight is like saying a doctor in a soap opera can perform surgery in an emergency. It is his collegiate wrestling skills that have provided him the background to move into MMA.

• Makington says:

I think it was more to show that he’s been active physically and why there was a large gap in his MMA career. But yeah, I don’t know who is interested in exactly how his WWE career went. Who he ‘fought’ and beat. All these MMA fighters better watch out, Bobby Lashley beat the crap out of Kurt Angle and Kevin Nash AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

• ndizzle says:

he is fully committed to mma nomore tna just read in a interview he did

• moosebaby02 says:

ndizzle
    i could be wrong

• ndizzle says:

moosebaby02: ndizzlei thought he wanted to maybe dabble some more into it as an guest apperance and stuff like that???thats why the UFC didnt get him cause they wont let free lance like would be able to do with SF??i could be wrong

go to mmafanhouse.com read it.maybe i took what he said the wrong way

• Scott H. says:

ndizzle: go to mmafanhouse.com read it.maybe i took what he said the wrong way

Hi ndizzle!

I just popped over and took a look. It’s kind of a funny quote:

• ndizzle says:

Scott H.: Hi ndizzle!I just popped over and took a look. It’s kind of a funny quote:“I’m 100% committed to MMA. I don’t think people realize that the pro wrestling I do with TNA is very limited. That’s just a small amount of time and the owner of TNA wants to help my MMA career. He knows I’m dedicated to MMA and he supports that.”He starts off by saying he’s a 100% commited to mma, but he doesn’t actually say that he won’t do any more TNA. It seems like he’s leaving the door open to do some limited stuff with them. To be honest, I don’t know exactly what he means.

ya i really hope he stops tna so we can see what his full potential can be,but you need to get paid right

• Scott H. says:

ndizzle: you need to get paid right

That’s a big Thumb’s up!

• elsicilian says:

Dufresne: If we could end up with 2 major promoters that could agree with a little bit of cross promotion with one major joint fight card each year, I think we would end up with a clear cut best in each weight class while at the same time offering the fighters options and therefore increasing fighter pay.

The superbowl of MMA – an annual joint promotion, with unified title fights in each division? That would be pretty sweet …

Or UFC could just buy strikeforce.