Matt “How Can You Not Like This Guy” Hamill: ‘I definitely didn’t win’ fight with Jon Jones

jon jonesA class act in every sense of the phrase, Matt “The Hammer” Hamill has recently taken to his official blog to give Jon Jones all of the credit in the world for his thorough beating of the TUF veteran during UFC 106. A one sided beating that wound up with Jones on the losing end for his efforts due to a pair of illegal elbow strikes that brought an unfortunate conclusion to what should have been a platform for the twenty-two year old prospect to propel from.

However, Hamill couldn’t have put it any better after giving his opponent all of the credit in the world for a job well done when he stated, “I guess the rules are there for a reason”. That they are Matt. That they are.

Aside from a few stitches in my nose and a sore shoulder I feel fine. I give all the credit to Jon Jones. He caught me by surprise with an awesome trip and I dislocated my shoulder when we hit the ground. I knew it was probably over at that point but I will die before I tap so I did the best I could under the circumstances. We train to wind up in bad positions and it paid off because I felt I was still able to defend even though I knew I couldn’t get up. Jon’s young and full of so much talent. Aside from making a mistake he did his job and he did it well. He definitely didn’t lose this fight and I definitely didn’t win, but I guess the rules are there for a reason. It is what it is. I went into this fight feeling like my record was actually 9-1 so with this so called win I will now consider my record 9-2… LOL I wish Jon all the best and I’d like to thank him for the professional and respectful way he has handled himself. I felt bad for him since a simple mistake caused him to lose a win bonus…

You can continue reading here

• king mah mah says:

I just became a die hard Matt Hammil fan! Good for him for giving Jones some props and not considering this a win.

I still agree with the DQ,but it’s nice to see Matt be honest about the whole thing.

• JTfromCharlotte says:

As much as I hate to say this, as a past acquaintance of Hamill’s and a former Rochester, NY resident (where Bones is from) I would like to see a rematch…

From the get go, Hamill showed improved standup… He was keeping his hands up and was throwing diverse strikes (did you see his spinning backfist? LOL). It was obvious right off the bat that he understood he would have to stay aware of Jones and his “unorthodox striking”. The obvious turning point was when Hamill dislocated his shoulder after Jones used his greco roman skills to take down Hamill. At that point, Hamill was unable to scramble and was mounted by Jones with ease. The rest is pretty much history and not much can be said. The illegal elbows were devastating, but I’ll be the first to admit that the fight was already over, especially in retrospect knowing his shoulder had become dislocated. Now.. had Hamill not dislocated his shoulder, I think things could have possibly went 100% differently. Hamill could have avoided further damage after the throw by scrambling and Jones either would have never mounted, or he would have mounted and Hamill could have scrambled out at that point. I don’t know how that fight would have gone had Hamill not hurt his shoulder. All of this is not meant to take anything away from my fellow Rochesterian – he is definitely incredibly talented and a sure future star of this sport.

With all that in mind, a rematch would probably be very interesting.

• Makington says:

I was hoping you guy would put an article up about how he acted after. I recommend reading the whole blog, since he showed he is easily one of the classiest guys in the sport.

He made no excuses, said his camp was great and he felt great. He only had good things to say about Jon Jones and I can’t wait to see him fight again. I wasn’t a huge Hamill fan, but this gave me a huge amount of respect for him to act like such a man.

Maybe Tito could take a lesson?

• Pajamashark says:

Hey, Tito and Mir- this is how it’s done.

• neijia says:

Add another big fan, Matt. Best of luck. P.S. you were in fact robbed in the Bisping decision, so I do NOT consider your record 9 and 2. It is still 9 and 1.

• baldguy80 says:

Wow, there’s two talented guys who are fun to watch and like to finish fights. And they’re gracious winning or LOSING. I’m a fan, just on principal.

Pajamashark and Makington got it right, there are some fighters out there that should be surfin’ over to Hamill’s site and plagiarizing his comments with gusto…

• Dufresne says:

This guy is just amazing. He overcomes all sorts of odds to even be able to compete at this level and he’s still humble.

What a wonderful person.

• roshambo says:

Both are classy guys and I look forward to seeing them fight again whether against each other or new opponents. There are definately some excuse makers in the sport that could take a page out of this book and learn a lesson or two about class.

• Guthookd says:

Way to show the respect all fighters should show each other. I will root for Hamill next time he’s out. Bones was cool about it too. Not a word of shit talking from either one of them. Way to be gentlemen.

• toynut says:

2 cool Guys,
    i prefer good competition versus over hype fake stuff….

• egad81 says:

Jon Jones is a monster

• Angry Mike says:

Hamill used to train with Tito, but apparently Tito could learn a thing or two from Hamill. Hopefully Hamill will recover quickly and we can see a rematch. I hate to wish that on Hamill, though, because I don’t think the outcome will be any different. Jones has such a height advantage that he can fire those knees into Hamill’s chin even though Hamill isn’t bent over too far. In that respect, Jones is similar to Anderson Silva.

• Hamill is exactly what MMA needs. He’ll get better after this last fight with Jones.

• Nick Havok says:

I’m just glad Jon’s win was TAKEN from him like that.

I loved watching a snitch get a taste of his own medicine.

Hey…should have done the ‘right’ thing huh Johnny? Haha!

• baldguy80 says:

Nick Havok: I’m just glad Jon’s win was TAKEN from him like that.I loved watching a snitch get a taste of his own medicine.Hey…should have done the ‘right’ thing huh Johnny? Haha!

Huh? Whatcha talkin’ about Nick??

• Nick Havok says:

baldguy80: Huh? Whatcha talkin’ about Nick??

I personally despise people like him.

• BillyWarhol says:

Hamill takes the High Road + does what Bisping shouldda done + admitted the other Guy WON the Fight! Bisping LOST!!

• Nick Havok: There was a previous article posted here at 5 oz where Jon Jones admitted to being ‘That guy who snitched’ when he was younger. And then went on to boast about how he took extra pride in ratting on the guys who smoked pot.I personally despise people like him.I took extra joy in watching them strip him of his win. It was great! Because it’s like they say, what goes around comes around.

He didn’t get stripped of his win. He broke the rules and got DQ’d.

• Nick Havok says:

Sergio Hernandez: He didn’t get stripped of his win. He broke the rules and got DQ’d.Just like when pot smokers get busted and serve jail time. You break the rules, you face the consequences.

That is basically what I was saying. Jon cheated…and he paid the price.

I just loved the look on his face when they announced Hamill the winner. It was a look of total disbelief.

It was priceless.

• joe mo mma says:

I want to see Jon Jones vs. Anderson Silva

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

@Nick Havoc

I am a firm believer that everyone is entitled to an opinion, and further, should not be derided for said opinion. However, every comment you make is so full of ignorance it is ridiculous. I generally read your comments (after pushing the “this comment sucks” button ) to see what stupid sh#t you are spewing at that moment.. You are degrading Jones for “doing the right thing” and for reporting drug use. There is a word called integrity… maybe you’ve heard of it? Quite frankly, I think our country could use a few more people like Jones… and perhaps a few less like you. Previous comments say that Tito and Mir could learn how to conduct themselves from Hammil. maybe you should as well.

• moosebaby02 says:

holy shit Nick…….let it go.
    everyone hears is post about how classy these guys are and how much respect they are given each other and this is an example of how to take the high road……..obviously you have missed the point.
    I have agreed with you on certain topics in the past and also have disagreed as well but I always held you with great respect but now your just showing you true colors.
    look I just left court today for getting busted…….for pot and guess what IT WAS MY FAULT. I dont care who ratted me out cause I should have know better to just light up my joint outside the confines of my home. SO I WILL PAY THE PRICE.
    Sooooooo that being said IM CALLING OUT “FIVEOUNCESOFPAIN” Sorry but I have to
    Cause their is no way that someone is this closed minded about everything that is said on this site. Havok has to be an employee of some sort that is just paid to post the most outlandish arguemental crap just to keep us on here to fire back at him.
    And for anyone who keeps on responding to him all the time…….THAT IS WHAT HE WANTS.
    I for one will keep looking forward to responding to the more insightful, open minded people who knows the in and outs of what it takes to make money and that this is a business.
    You guys know who you are and I look forward to reading your post.
    Oh and the articles as well.

Hamill, Jones class act and look forward to seeing you guys in the cage again.
    ya I think a rematch would be great

Oh Nick I know your going to respond to this but it will be just a waste of time cause I no intentions to respond to anything you have to say about me, MMA, or anything in general. This will be the last time. I have better things to do that to waste my time on someone who cant see the gray area of life.

• Nick Havok says:

Why do you all care so much that I despise Jon Jones and was more than happy he was DQed for being a blatant cheater?

Seems like you guys are the ones taking it personally. Not me.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

@Moose
    thank you for holding yourself accountable for your actions. I agree with you; this is a place for mature discussion on MMA, not a hate mongering death site. I will support and agree with you in the decision to no longer respond to anything that Nick Havok has to say.

• Nick Havok says:

BiG BaD BuLL: this is a place for mature discussion on MMA, not a hate mongering death site. I will support and agree with you in the decision to no longer respond to anything that Nick Havok has to say.

So you are aginst hate mongering…but at the same time automatically promise to never respond to me again no matter what I say wether it be good or bad?

Seems like you are the one with the hate issue, my friend.

• Angry Mike says:

Hey Nick–Ever wonder why they call the stuff “dope”?

• sides666 says:

i first want to say that this fight was very entertaining and it had a very unfortunate end, i have always respected matt hamill he is always a class act jon jones is a talented fighter and i look forward to watching him compete for many years. however i must also say that i disagree with all the weed hating its really unnecessary it should not be illegal in the first place and for all of you who disagree do you really think the following people should be in jail? joe rogan, eddie bravo, bj penn, woody harrelson, george washington, many musicians, politicians, athletes, average joes, grandma, grampa your doctor your lawyer the guy who serves you food in your favorite restaurant your neighbor. like come on people realize that what other people do should effect you personally why the hell should people get outraged over pot or any drug for that matter its like chris rock said if you could snap your fingers and make all the drugs in the world disappear there would be people sitting in there basement figuring out new ways to get high because its nice to smoke a joint and relax but thats a crime and its wrong yet we are allowed to drink alcohol which is a much worse drug than pot. if you take ten random people and put them in a room give them unlimited amounts of booze there will be fighting by the end where as with pot everyone would be peaceful the simple fact is when you smoke pot it opens your mind and you realize alot of the bullshit the governmet tries to pull and if it were legal and alot more minds were opened the politicians would not get away with alot of the things they are doing