Kimbo Slice and Forrest Griffin to present “UFC Undisputed 2010” at the Spike TV VGA’s

kimboCallus thumbed video game enthusiasts all around the world anxious to get a sneak peak at what promises to be one of the most sought after video games of 2010 will get their first peak at some of the footage from “UFC Undisputed 2010“, the highly anticipated sequel to last year’s mixed martial arts gaming blockbuster, during Spike TV’s upcoming year-end 2009 edition of the “Video Game Awards“.

On hand to showcase some of the footage from “UFC Undisputed 2010” will be Forrest Griffin and Kimbo Slice.

Griffin was the featured cover athlete for the 2009 version of the video game, while Kimbo was not available on the previous edition. However, Kimbo’s presence during the Spike TV broadcast makes his involvement in this year’s version of the video game a foregone conclusion.

The broadcast of the seventh annual VGA’s will air on Spike TV at 8 pm this Saturday evening, December 12.

• Nick Havok says:

Kimbo will probably get the 2010 game cover.

• Makington says:

• Dufresne says:

Makington: Kimbo one of the main game athletes?! I’ve been very accepting of Kimbo but if they revolve the game around him it will annoy me. Yes, yes I get it, I get it, people love to watch Kimbo but I don’t want him to be one of UFC’s biggest stars unless he actually earns it.On the other hand, how would they rate him? They wouldn’t want to rate him what he actually is, and they wouldn’t want to rate him as high as Lyoto Machida either.I hope he is just presenting the game and is not actually one of the main fighters in it.

Agreed. I also don’t think Kimbo has had enough fights in the UFC to really rate him statistically.

I’m curious as to why they chose Kimbo to help present. I get Forrest, he’s goofy and very personable which is exactly what you need for PR. After TUF 10, I like Kimbo, but I don’t see him as a potential spokesperson for MMA.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they have Brock on the cover, he was the headliner of UFC 100 and his illness is still pretty recent news so they probably have already designed the cover by now.

• Nick Havok says:

Kimbo was just in the third most watched fight in UFC history…coming off two bad losses…and against Houston Alexander.

If that doesn’t say it, I don’t know what will.

But Kimbo is a GIANT star in the UFC. Maybe even the biggest. The proof is in the ratings.

…the amazing, but not surprising thing to me is how hard the UFC is pimping him out for such a cheap price.

I mean third most watched fight in UFC history!…WOW!!!…And it only cost them 25k.

LOL, that’s like oil company-type profits right there.

• king mah mah says:

• Makington says:

Well I see why he would present the game at the video awards with how popular he is, but I really hope he isn’t one of the main game characters. If the UFC wants to show a bit of self respect they won’t revolve it around him. It’s not as if they need Kimbo to sell the game. They sold a staggering amount with their first version and if they put Kimbo in it, that would be one of their main selling points. I wouldn’t want to see them sacrifice gameplay so they can add Kimbo in it. If they made the gameplay solid I couldn’t care less about what fighter I’m using.

I also hope they *completely* redo the create a character section as it was just terrible.

• danw84 says:

king mah mah: If they put Kimbo on the cover I will not be buying this game! Period. It’ll be a shame too because 2009 was a sweet game.

You’ll sure show them!

I don’t see the point in not buying it. Putting Kimbo on the cover will get people who know nothing about MMA, but lots about Kimbo to buy the game, and MMA fans will buy it regardless. It’s nothing more than marketing.

As far as Kimbo’s ratings will go, I don’t think they will be stupid. UFC 2009 had plenty of well known fighters ranked fairly low. The only thing I hope is that this time around they actually update the rankings and stats once in a while.

• king mah mah says:

danw84 says:

You’ll sure show them!

Not trying to show them anything. Just my own personal preference. They need to put someone that’s deserving to grace the cover of the game. The game probably won’t change much anyway to warrant a $60 price tag.

• Dufresne says:

Does anyone know if they’re going to add other fighters via downloadable content?
    I’m also hoping that they’ll allow you to download statistic updates, but I kinda doubt that will happen.

• roshambo says:

• danw84 says:

To be honest, I’m looking forward to EA Sports MMA more than this game. Being actually made by a company that knows how to make sports games, rather than Yukes, a company who makes online flash games, will probably end up being a LOT less frustrating. Sure, I’d like for some of my favorite UFC fighters to be in it, but I’ll live without them. Plus, EA actually updates its sports games and continually makes changes to the game via online updates as things in the real world change.

• Pajamashark says:

roshambo: I wonder is there is the UFC undisputed curse like with the Madden games. Forrest was on the US versions cover and in his first fight after the release, he proceded to have the most embarrasing loss of his career against Anderson Silva. GSP was on the Canadian cover and in his first fight he injures his groin and hasn’t been able to fight since. What will 2010 bring?

Put Osama Bin Laden on the cover. I’d like him to have a bad year.

• xxDejay032xx says:

danw84:

Completly agree with this statement, it would be a great marketing idea for Dana and the ufc but on another note, this is dumb to me, I don’t think kimbo should be on the cover, hell in my opinion I don’t think he should even be in the game. And I like kimbo, I think he he has good potential, but In my opinion he should not be in the game..

• Nick Havok says:

I don’t understand all the thumbs down for stating that Kimbo could possibly be on the cover of the game…because the reality is, and as lame as it sounds, it could very well happen!

So either people just don’t like the idea of it…

…or they just don’t like the fact that I am the guy who said it.

I’m guessing it’s the the latter of the two myself. :)

• Makington says:

• Makington says:

I still like you Nick.

Although you do think Dana is the antichrist lol.

• Nick Havok says:

Makington: I still like you Nick.Although you do think Dana is the antichrist lol.

Because he is!

Seriously, I am so angry right now at Dana’s last comments about Houston Alexander that I am seeing red.

I really, really, really hate that man…and that is the nicest way I can put it.

• roshambo says:

Makington: If they put Kimbo on the cover it would be an insult to every fan out there that isn’t a newb fan who actually like the sport. It’s like if they put Micheal Jordan on the MLB game when he tried to do baseball for a while. Sure he’s popular, but basketball was his sport, and it’s extremely shameless marketing. Go ahead and put Kimbo in the game. I hope they do, honestly, but don’t make him the main point of the game. As far as the game educating people, it doesn’t really. Everyone who knows just the game thinks that Frank Mir is as good as Anderson Silva and GSP (laughable), that jabs are useless in fights, that anyone can do rubber guard and it’s only use is to flip you into a mount, and finally that there are only about 4 submissions ever created (triangle, guillotine, armbar, rear naked choke)All in all though, I think we will need to wait until Saturday to see what they’re actually doing. It very may well be that Kimbo is only presenting the game. I will be watching UFC myself, but I will try to find videos after.

While many hardcore fans may see it as an insult, most businesses don’t cater to the hardcore fan as they comprise a very small portion of most companies business models. Most companies cater to the casual fan. The hardcore fan is the one that is going to be loyal no mater what as they truly know and love the sport. The casual fan is the one that comes and goes with the hype. The hardcore fan will get most or all of the PPV’s and video games if they are into them. The Casual fan will likely only get the PPV’s and merchandise that has the most hype behind it. They need to build the hype to keep these fans in. Like it or not, Kimbo is a hype machine. Just look at the ratings he brought to TUF this season. While he has a long way to go to be a quality fighter, he is already at the peak of marketability. The UFC is smart to cash in now. He will sell tickets, PPV’s and games. If they wait to cash in on the Kimbo craze, it may pass them by. If he is to lose a couple of fights it would all go down the drain. Regardless, if they put as much thought into improving the game as they surely will trying to market it now that they will have to compete against EA, I’m sure they will do just fine.

• Makington says:

Yah, as hard as it is to admit, those are good points. I will continue to hope that he doesn’t become a posterboy of the UFC but it would have positives if Kimbo did, and quite possibly many more positives than negatives.

What’s one fan like me compared to 150 casual fans business-wise? The casuals will make them more money than I can alone, which is pretty sucky.