Frank Mir ‘went into depression’ and ‘got sick’ over Brock Lesnar obsession

BrockIn what could now officially qualify as a somewhat unhealthy fanaticism in regards to avenging a previous, and utterly embarrassing defeat at the hands of current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, Frank Mir recently went on record with the Las Vegas Sun stating that the news of Lesnar’s recent health problems made him ill…. literally.

“When he got sick it screwed up my training because he was such a driving force for me,” said Mir. “I went into a depression for two to three days where I didn’t go to the gym, I got sick — I drove myself insane thinking we may possibly not fight again.

“I couldn’t live with that.”

Apparently the obsession with Brock isn’t really with Brock at all. No, according to Mir’s father you can chalk it up to a deep seeded disdain for losing.

“He hated to lose with a passion, whether it was a checker game, marbles or connect the dots,” explained Frank Sr. “Something as ridiculous as checkers, if he didn’t win, he’d walk away. He could not conceive he didn’t win.

“Being a young guy we’d all tell him, ‘Come on, man. It’s a checkers game, give me a break.’ He’d just walk away in anger because he couldn’t believe he lost.”

If this is truly the case, one would have to wonder why there was never such a previous outcry on Mir’s end following defeats suffered at the hands of Ian Freeman, Marcio Cruz or Brandon Vera.

Talk about kicking a dog while it’s down.

5 Oz. continues to wish Brock Lesnar a speedy recovery, and further hopes that Mir will someday have his wish granted.

• Dufresne says:

He can say this is about his disdain of losing, but I don’t remember him acting like this about his loses to Vera, Cruz, or Freeman.

As much as I like Mir, he needs help.

• Dufresne says:

Did not read that you said the exact same thing in the article, feel free to thumbs down this one to death.

• danw84 says:

I think Mir is in love.

• Pajamashark says:

Ohmigod, Frank Mir get a grip! What did you do before Brock Lesner was invented? Remember that? Were you thinking about fighting from a healthy place and not a one where you have a hate-crush 24/7 on your opponent?

Take a Xanax and move away from the santeria shrine of Brock you built in your living room. You need about 50 “YES! Cartwheels of Glory” and you might start to try and get right with the world.

• xtreme_machine says:

You need about 50 “YES! Cartwheels of Glory”
    Pajamashark

Nice

• spirona says:

If Frank wasn’t such an insecure prick, he’d be very likable. He’s very good on the WEC as a analyst, but once you put an opponent in front of him, he becomes a tool. What’s funny is that he seems to fluctuate between the insecure toolishness and genuine goodness that he possesses. During the Countdown show, he said Kongo’s striking was mediocre. Then at the pre-fight presser today, he says that he’s a great striker and that he will look to take the fight to the ground. Very interesting guy, he just needs to realize that he’s a great fighter and doesn’t need to mask his insecurities with cockiness.

• windstorm says:

my point being frank mir has the most padded resume in all of mma, people think he has this awesome ground game and well it is above average for a heavyweight slapping a submission on tank abbot and antoni hardonk in my eyes does not make you a world beater. frank mir has ridden the ufc hype train more then any other fighter and why because he broke tim sylvia’s arm. that was a legimate win but tim sylvia almost gets submitted on his way into the cage. ladies and gentleman frank mir the most over rated insecure fighter in all of mma. mark my words he will be a memory in less then 2 years.

• danw84 says:

Agreed. Totally overrated.

• windstorm: ok here is the thing with frank mir he has a 12-4 career record. lets break that down further. he has had 14 fights inside the octagon with a ufc record of 10-4. at first glance that sounds pretty respectable. upon closer evaluation who is on mirs resume of wins. pete williams, not even close to the ufc in fact his fight with frank was his last one. tank abbot, really you submitted tank abbot that must have been hard, 2 wins over wes sims one a DQ, is it me or did i see how good wes sims was this season of the ultimate fighter. tim sylvia not in the ufc, dan christian not in the ufc, antiona hardonk not in the ufc, a green brock lesner and antionio rodrigio nogueria with a serious staph infection.

Say what you want about Mir but no one else has come close to beating Brock even though Randy put on a Great performance. Mir put on a beautiful Knee bar on a guy athletic and big as Brock. Mir just needs to work on his wrestling.. he should go to the one man that was able to get out from under Brock..Randy Couture. Mir is a bit of a Kid and sometimes gets a big head but Mir is a smart guy and was quicker than Brock with the striking but just pressed it to much and whatever Big Nog has to say about his health or someone else speaking for him.., Big Nog got dominated by Frank Mir. Even if Big Nog was ill with a staph infection, Michael Jordon won a title putting up 38 points in game 6 of the 97-98 year while having the flu with 102 temp playing almost all 60 minutes. If Nog was to sick to fight for 15 full minutes then he should not have been in there.

Mir lost to Brock being arrogant going for the same knee bar and throwing a flying knee against a National Wrestler but he was way to quick for Brock.

Wes Sims was a different fighter back then…way more savage. Mir did what he should have against Hardonk and Tim Sylvia was the Best back then and is still dangerous ..Mir was Green like Brock back then. Almost every fight has had easy fights coming into the UFC.

I can make a argument that Brock has been some one training for MMA the entire time he was in the WWE. Those guys go threw hell in the ring. Brock is the first to tell you that it is way more Brutal on the body that MMA. So the only thing green about Brock was his nerves.

Tank was a guy back then that could knock em out and thats what everyone thought would happen but a young Mir put on a submission that is not easy and Tim Sylvia has only been submitted 4 times lol. 1 by Mir and 2 by sombo champs and 1 by Big Nog.

As far as Mirs losses after the motorcycle accident that almost took his ability to walk. Sure ..I guess you would probably just bounce right back from that huh. Everyone knows that Mir wasn’t the same guy.

To the current. Mir did say that Kongos striking was mediocre in the countdown and that if it was just a kickboxing match then it would be a different story but its not, its a kickboxing match with take downs. So right there he admitted to being the lessor of the 2 strikers.

All I’m saying is give the guy some time to get Mind Right after almost loosing it.

• Nick Havok says:

I don’t think it’s the fact that Mir lost that is driving him to this unbridaled hatred for Brock…but it’s because Brock embarrassed him and showed absolutely no class at all after the fight.

That would piss me off too.

I mean it’s one thing to lose…but to then have the guy who just beat you up in your face still talking smack is something else.

I can’t really say I blame Frank for how he feels.

• BigDave says:

Now normally I would Blast Mir for being a graduate of the BJ Penn school of whiny bitch but I won’t this time.

If his hatered of Lesnar is that deep seeded that he is Physically sick over it I really think the athletic commision needs to step in and get this guy evaluated for his mental state before ever letting him in the cage again. If his mind isn’t right he could get seriously hurt stepping in the cage and could even be a danger to himself.

I know this may be extreme but I would rather them make sure he is stable enough to deal with his demons then have something catastrophic happen.

• elsicilian says:

Straight from the horse’s mouth: “It has a lot to do with marketing and speaking,” Mir said of his newly found blunt talk. “One thing about my personality, I never, ever make anything up. I just go ahead and exaggerate, maybe embellish a bit. There are things I say that if we’re just friends sitting around talking, you’d go, ‘Oh yeah, that guy’s going to kill him,’ but then if someone turns the camera on, all of a sudden it’s, ‘Yeah, I have a lot of respect for him. I think he’s a really good fighter.’

Obviously Mir has taken a page from Brock Lesnar’s book, and decided that hamming it up a bit will probably be good for his career. And you know what? I couldn’t agree more …

Go get ’em Frank!

• Kuch says:

• It probably has to do with the fact that A) Mir had already beaten him B) Mir was coming off his biggest win ever over Nogueira and C) Lesnar made him look like clownshoes the second time.

• roshambo says:

Kuch: This is all hype staged by Frank Mir to try and keep people interested in watching him fight Brock again. Frank probably doesn’t care that he lost; what he does care about is that Brock’s name on the marquee sells PPV buys which equates to more money in Frank Mir’s pocket if he is the challenger. Why else would he be this vocal about his obsession? He needs people to buy into the hype and demand a third fight. Wouldn’t it make sense to presume that Frank probably made the most money in his career while matched up against Brock? He would be foolish to ask to fight an opponent that doesn’t generate the interest that Brock does. He’s not obsessed with avenging a loss to Brock; he’s obsessed with riding the coattails of the most talked about heavyweight fighter in the UFC.

While likely true it’s probably not the best way to keep people interested in you. Why not stay classy and not come off looking like a crazy man. There are enough guys in MMA that can play the crazy Ahole already. His best bet is to be a class act and win fights. I’d much rather be remembered for what I did in the ring than what I said outside of it. If he loses to Kongo, he will have a long road back to getting another shot at lesnar if and when he returns. Id hate to see what comes out of his mouth if he loses to Kongo.

• moosebaby02 says:

for all the shit talk and man love he is giving brock he better win tomorrow or he will be even more of laughing stock in the UFC then he already is

• xtreme_machine says:

Wow for a while I tought this was in an English class

whats with people writting essay.

• elsicilian says:

xtreme_machine: Wow for a while I tought this was in an English class

whats with people writting essay.

No kidding! Can’t you egg-heads just limit your comments to a few vague thoughts or incoherent phrases? All this reading is hurting my brain …

• Billy says:

I really like Mir, but who the hell loses at “connect the dots”?!

• Pajamashark says:

Billy: I really like Mir, but who the hell loses at “connect the dots”?!

Hahahahaha! That is a really good point!

“34, 35, 36, ummmm, 87, 92, 14… I’m done, it’s a sailboat!”
    “Frankie, son, the book says it’s supposed to be two clowns riding a giraffe…”

• Angry Mike says:

Back when Mir beat Lesnar in their first match up, hardcore fans praised him for winning against an over-hyped pro wrestler who supposedly threatened the integrity of MMA. Then he lost and everybody loves Lesnar because he’s an overpowering beast. And everybody hates Mir. A wise old man once told me that much of the world’s probems were caused by the fact that “Bitches be fickle-minded.” Perhaps this is proof of his theory.

• Lich King says:

Well I can see the way he sees it. If I am playing a game or anything to someone who is humble or just anyone who does not talk crap I can deal with that. When someone beats me and throws it in my face and is just an ass it makes me very angry and makes me want a rematch right then. Maybe its the same with him, I am sure we can all agree that Brock Lesnar is more like the second type of person I listed.

• elsicilian says:

Lich King: When someone beats me and throws it in my face and is just an ass it makes me very angry and makes me want a rematch right then. Maybe its the same with him, I am sure we can all agree that Brock Lesnar is more like the second type of person I listed.

Mir and Lesnar are both being incredible asses … and it is awesome! Hype it up fellas! You know we’ll all be watching!

• neijia says:

It’s definitely hype. Mir admits as much according to a recent Yahoo Sports article. The spotlight, not win/loss record, is what translates to financial gain. Since he feels he should be honest AND it pays more, why not.

But one minor point here. Big Nog took a 15 minute beating from Bob Sapp in 2002 before coming back for the armbar win. What do we say about that? We say “Never Give Up” and Big Nog is tough as nails and no one can come back from more punishment, etc. Not, well Big Nog took advantage of Sapp’s inexperience. Well, then, when Mir took a beating from Lesnar, then pulled off the submission, why don’t we give him credit for not giving up? Then, he took a beating from Lesnar, and decided he needs to change his training a little (strength). He says in the gym he can tell he’s improved but that is like being an armchair quarterback. No proof. Only one way to tell, win or lose, and that’s test himself again. So of course he wants to find out for sure. If you are Roddick and Federer keeps kicking your ass, don’t you want to keep testing yourself? If you don’t you’re a quitter! So give poor Frank Mir a little credit.

• elsicilian says:

neijia: Big Nog took a 15 minute beating from Bob Sapp in 2002 before coming back for the armbar win. What do we say about that? We say “Never Give Up” and Big Nog is tough as nails and no one can come back from more punishment, etc. Not, well Big Nog took advantage of Sapp’s inexperience. Well, then, when Mir took a beating from Lesnar, then pulled off the submission, why don’t we give him credit for not giving up?

Although I totally agree with the tenor and underlying emphasis of your overall message, neijia, that’s not really a valid comparison. In their first match (Lesnar’s octagon debut), Mir took a ferocious 90 second beating (and was the beneficiary of a questionable stand-up) before catching Brock in a knee bar – a submission against which inexperienced wrestlers are notoriously vulnerable, but is otherwise rarely seen deciding UFC fights.

I definitely give Mir credit for snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, but Lesnar was running over, around, and through him six ways to Sunday before he did so. I don’t think it is a stretch to say he won the fight despite being thoroughly dominated, which isn’t the case with Nogeira /Sapp at all.

In fact, other than that knee bar (and one Faber-esque jumping knee to the head in the second fight), Mir has done nothing but absorb brutal punishment from Lesnar in two fights. I’d love to see a rubbermatch, but that’s mostly because of all the interpersonal tension, not because I think Mir will all of a sudden become competitive.