Donald Cerrone wants Jose Aldo at 145 pounds

donald cerroneIn what may come as a huge surprise to many, WEC lightweight title contender Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone apparently seems to think he can squeeze his already shredded 5’11” frame a full ten pounds lower than he competes at currently to challenge the newly crowned featherweight champion many are touting as the future of the division.

If Cerrone has his way, we’ll be seeing a bout between “The Cowboy” and “Little Ong Bak” sometime in the very near future, as Jose Aldo can consider himself a marked man.

“I’m going to call out Jose Aldo and drop down to 145. I’m really looking forward to that,”said Cerrone during a recent conversation with the “The Ground and Pound” radio show.

According to the Greg Jackson trained fighter, he has no intentions of fleeing from the lightweight division, but plans to challenge himself by continuing to compete in both the 155 and 145 pound weight classes.

Before Cerrone can think about beginning what promises to be a strenuous weight cut, the 26 year old Albuquerque resident is going to have to deal with the heavy handed Ed “9mm” Ratcliff on December 19 as the two will clash in the main event of WEC 45.

• Dufresne says:

I’m not sure this is a good idea for Cerrone.
    I think it would be a fun fight to watch because I love watching both Aldo and Cowboy, but everything Cerrone is good at, Aldo is too. Ceronne would be the bigger of the two, but Aldo is so fast it’s scary.

• baldguy80 says:

Who wouldn’t LOVE to see that one go down!

• Nick Havok says:

He is going to tear through some folks at that weight.

• cocoonofhorror says:

uh oh…Cowboy down.

• Makington says:

I think his height will give him more problems than him being ripped if he wants to cut to 145, but I think he can do it without much trouble. I echo Dufresne’s sentiments however. Aldo is too good at everything. I think Aldo is a future Anderson Silva. Maybe if this happened we would get our first chance to see Jose’s ground game with how easy it seems to take The Cowboy down.

I like this fight though, I must admit. I would be a shoe in for a fight of the year candidate.

• Nick Havok says:

Can I just interject real quick…

I really enjoyed WEC on Versus.

Thanks for nothing, DirecTV!

• Bullylover says:

i don’t see how cerrone is going to make it at 145 on a constant basis he’d be the 145 anthony johnson if he did. seriously he is a good size lw as it is, it probably wouldn’t be . whats best for his health

• nate says:

i love cerrone. great fighter. lets be honest. this is shameless self promoting at best. cerrone sees all the heat surrounding aldo and wants his name in the same sentence. i just dont see cerrone beating aldo. worthy opponent? sure. serious threat to aldo? doubtful but id still watch.

• tybo1972 says:

Doesn’t Cowboy have bigger fish to fry? I love watching him fight but I think he needs to focus on THIS FIGHT. It’s like deja vu all over again. Cowboy looking 2, 3 or 4 fights into the future and I get the “bigger picture” thing but why not hone in on the very next fight then afterwards announce your “bigger picture” plans. Not to mention that he should be begging for rematches vs. Henderson and Varner. Clear your weight class out first then jump around.

• The Cowboy must have taken a head but from a Big Bull lol. He wouldn’t be strong enough at 145 to hang with aldo for 1 and 2 Aldo would kick his as at 155. Down Boy.

• Cerrone is a good, exciting fighter but facts are facts: in the 155 world, he’s mid-tier.

Aldo would destroy him.

• roshambo says:

Nick Havok: If Cerrone can do it, then it will be pretty cool to see him whomping on some 45ers.He is going to tear through some folks at that weight.But not only does he need to beat Ratcliff, but he needs to also successfully cut to 145 and get a notable win there as well. Because there is no way he should just up and announce one day that he wants to drop a division and instantly challenge it’s champion and his wish be granted. No, he needs to prove himself worthy in that division first by at least getting a win.

I have to agree, I mean he lost to Varner, he lost his shot at the interim belt, he is an exciting fighter to watch but I feel that anyone in the sport needs to prove himself in a weight class before getting a crack at an organizations belt. That’s why I felt the whole Belfort vs Silva thing was crazy since Belfort just came back and hasnt even had a fight at middleweight. It’s like a slap in the face to all the other fighters in the weight class that are competing. If The Cowboy wants to cut and go for the belt, all the power to him. I’ll tune in if it happens but I hope he has to fight a couple fights at that weight class first.

• Dangerous says:

All I’m gonna say is as much as I like Cowboy’s style and all that, Aldo will absolutely destroy him if they ever fought at 145

• […] during Saturday evening’s WEC 45 card, the black cowboy hat fitted brawler has made his intentions to cut down to 145 pounds following the bout well […]