Dana White: Houston Alexander released from UFC after doing the ‘Kalib Starnes’

Houston AlexanderYou can chalk light heavyweight knockout artist Houston Alexander up to being the most recent victim of the big UFC axe following his less than spectacular performance during his recent loss to Kimbo Slice during The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale.

Alexander has been cut from the promotion according to UFC President Dana White, who made the news public at the pre-event press conference according to a recent report at MMAJunkie.

The news of the normally heavy handed brawler’s release from the organization comes on the heels of his TUF 10 Finale showing against Kimbo that most had anticipated to be one of the more exciting bouts in recent memory. However, nothing could have been further from the truth as Alexander seemed completely unwilling to engage Slice in a match-up that was, for the lack of a better term, boring.

“I was going to leave,” said White in regards to the Kimbo-Alexander bout. “I was going to get up and walk out of the fight. That’s what I thought of it. If I didn’t have to hand out ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ trophy at the end (of the event), I would have left that night. It wasn’t a good night for me.”

“The last thing I expected was for Houston Alexander to come in and do the Kalib Starnes.”

Alexander burst onto the scene in the UFC like a cyclone, destroying Keith Jardine in epic fashion, along with handing Allesio Sakara a healthy beatdown just before dropping his next three with the promotion to the likes of Thiago Silva, James Irvin and Eric “Red” Schafer. Houston then bounced back from those losses with a big TKO over Sherman Pendergarst during Adrenaline MMA IV just prior to the recent bout with Slice.

• qat says:

well, that should stop the speculations of a “fixed” fight. no way that would be his reward..
    but not suprising, he had a 0-4 run now, even though he is a nice guy, hope we gonna see him elsewhere.

• Dufresne says:

That was an atrocious performance by Houston. I’m all for following a game plan to the effect of winning a fight, but you have to engage at some point.
    And what was really embarrassing was that he was winded after 2 rounds of not fighting.

• king mah mah says:

The fight wasn’t that exciting, but it was nowhere near Kalib Starnes caliber.

• fanoftna33 says:

I like Houston as much as anybody but he did need to be cut, maybe SF can pick him up. Still the ufc put him in a shitty spot giving him a catch weight(aka advantage to your opponent) fight against a good striker, he tried to stick to a geme plan and even though it was boring most of the time the fight had some very exciting exchanges. Nobody can say it was worse than some of Machidas first firgts in the ufc. And I agree with King Mah Mah in that it was nowhere near a Kalib Starnes like effort.

• Angry Mike says:

If he’d won by decision, I wonder whether Houston would’ve been cut. Probably so.

• thunder okami says:

Sucks, he’s a really nice guy, but he did put on one of the most boring 1st rounds weve ever seen
    Oh well, he’ll find a home and a paycheck at Strikeforce

• Jak says:

Round 1 was an atrocity. The guy ran at least 15 circles. At least….

Round 2 was good but oddly enough because Ferguson laid a bada** highlight reel slam down. Who saw that coming?

I like Houston as much as the next guy, but this was a gimme fight. Even if he got ko’d the UFC wouldn’t have cut him, but round 1 in front of UFC’s highest fight was crap.

• I don’t get what he was thinking. There is no way he thought that strategy would win him the fight or get him rewarded. ??? just wierd. He has seen Kimbos fights I sure so he must have know that Kimbo isn’t exactly a polished fighter. He must look up to Kimbo. Thats all I can chalk it up to.

• hindsightufuk says:

i’m not sure strikeforce are gonna pick up just anybody the UFC cuts
    maybe he’d do ok in Chalengers, but i think you’ll see him on a number of smaller shows, or maybe away from MMA for a while. I thought the whole night (aside from the edgar/veach Hamill/Jones fights) was pretty awful, kinda summed up the whole series for me

• Nick Havok says:

I honestly just think Houston got scared in there.

I know that is a ridiculous thing to say about fighters at this level…but what else could it be?

I really didn’t think Houston’s gameplan looked THAT much different than how he fought and destroyed Sherman Pendergarst in Adrenaline. In that fight he circled along the outside while occasionally stepping in to throw a leg kick just like he did against Kimbo.

The only real difference is that he didn’t hesitate in the fight with Pendergarst…AND kimbo didn’t crumble to the ground after taking a few like Sherman did.

…but once again, Dana didn’t get what he wanted (to have the fight live up to his lofty expectations) so someone loses a job.

And not only can he just fire them in peace…but he has to publicly berate them first.

Real classy of you, Dana.

• BigDave says:

We all know that no matter how many highroads there are Dana white will always choose the low road when it comes to firing someone. That being said Houston had to go, he just doesnt have the killer instinct that he used to and lets face it that is all he really had going for him. at his age I think we may have seen the last of him in the fight game. I hope what ever he does that he does well because he is a good guy but I have no desire to see him fight anymore.

• toynut says:

Houston went in to the fight to “not lose” instead of trying to win in my opinion…

• Con says:

Anybody think that if Houston came out throwing bombs and got KOed, that he would still have gotten cut?

• roshambo says:

It was a horrible fight on Houstons part and he rightfully should have been dropped. i don’t think any fight fan wants to see a guy run in circles like that. I’ll take lay and pray over the Kalib Starnes style anyday.

What stands out to me more is Dana Whites comments. No so much about Houston himself but when he says :

It seems to me that says he really doesn’t care much about his fighters. He was so bored by Houston Alexander that he didn’t care enough to stick around and watch Jon Jones and Matt Hamill and then the final between Schaub and Nelson? If I was one of those fighters I would feel disrespected. I mean he is saying that if it wasn’t for some stupid trophy I have to hand out, I would leave. Maybe he is misquoted, I don’t know but if that statement is true… I would be upset as a fighter.

• Nick Havok says:

Why does Dana White compare Houston Alexander to Kalib Starnes?

He looked much more like Lyoto Machida in my opinion.

• Makington says:

You’ve got to be kidding about Lyoto Machida. I’m going to assume you’re saying that for the sake of making users mad at you and ignore that one.

This came as a surprise to no one, with Houston showing one of the worst performances anyone has seen in quite a while. There was no doubt in my mind he would get cut, and I don’t think SF will want much to do with him either, atleast not until he does a couple small shows and proves he can actually fight. But at his age, his window is small enough.

• Nick Havok says:

Makington: You’ve got to be kidding about Lyoto Machida.

No…that sounds exactly like Machida to me.

• roshambo says:

Nick Havok: Enless circling of his opponenet only to step in a few times per round to throw a technique then quickly backpeddle out of there only to start the whole boring cycle over again?No…that sounds exactly like Machida to me.Kalib just ran for his life and didn’t throw any strikes whatsoever. Big difference in my opinion.

The only good part of the Kalib starnes fight was when Quarry started joking around and was totally clowning him yet he continued to run for his life. Based on what he did in the cage, Starnes must still have nightmares from that fight.

• Nick Havok says:

roshambo: The only good part of the Kalib starnes fight was when Quarry started joking around and was totally clowning him yet he continued to run for his life.

I totally agree.

It was hilarious to see Nate doing the ‘Rock Hammer’ and yet Kalib STILL ran away from it. LOL!

• CatchWrestling101 says:

I think it was a cross between Kalib and Lyoto.