Is Frank Mir’s obsession with Brock Lesnar causing him to look past Cheick Kongo?

Cheick KongoJust a few days shy of his UFC 107 showdown with heavyweight knockout artist Cheick Kongo, former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir could be breaking one of the essential rules of combat: Never look past your opponent.

It seems as if Mir has tunnel vision, and instead of his focus being centered around the 6’4″, 230+ pound task in front of him, the Las Vegas based submission artist can’t shake the mental image of a certain gorilla proportioned man-beast that recently taught Mir a brutal lesson in humility.

While the recent UFC Countdown Show was meant to promote his upcoming fight with Kongo, Mir just couldn’t seem to keep UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar‘s name out of his mouth. A large portion of Mir’s segment was focused around the fourteen-time Octagon veteran’s effort to gain size and power to compete with….. you guessed it; the same guy that transformed his face into ground hamburger just five months ago.

“I’ve never hated a human being as much as I hate [Brock],” said Mir during the countdown show that aired on Spike TV. “It’s never driven me to the points of insanity that it has driven me to now. I want to rip Cheick Kongo’s arm off and make a statement, and it’s just because I want to scare the s*** out of Brock. I want him to know that he will never be the same human being after I get out of that cage with him. I will detrimentally affect his physical life forever and scar him on a mental level. He drives me in a way that I’ve never felt driven before.

“My long term goal is Brock Lesnar’s demise. My short term goal is to give Cheick Kongo his walking papers and finish this for good. Cheick Kongo’s standing in the way of that dream.”

While it’s never a bad thing to possess the burning desire to right a wrong, looking past a monster like Kongo would be the most costly mistake Frank has ever made.

Let’s not forget for one second what the antidote to Mir’s poison has been since his beating suffered at the hands of Ian Freeman way back in 2002: Good old fashioned ground and pound. A department the soft spoken Kongo has a recent history of success in.

• fanoftna33 says:

Mir has the stand up to at least throw Kongo off his game a little and that is all he needs to do to get him to the mat, but as for a submission I think Kongos submission defense will surprise a lot of people. Mir takes this fight but Kongo will impress also.
    As for looking ahead to Brock, this could be the best thing to happen to Mir, as he does tend to need a little more motivation than some other great fighters. Kind of like a B J Penn type, great talent just needs constant discipline.

• danw84 says:

I’m not a big fan of Kongo, but Kongo, please please please shut Mir up. I am so sick of hearing him talk about Lesnar.

• Guthookd says:

Mir has decent stan up skills. Maybe Kongo is a bit better on the feet, but the disparity between their ground games will be the fight ending difference I think. Not to mention, didn’t Heath Herring beat Kongo recently? Not to bash him, but If Heath can get a split decision agains Kongo then Mir can do it easily, if not finish.

Mir via submission Rd. 2.

• BennyProfane says:

I’m not sure… but I once heard it is possible to think of two things at the same time.

• king mah mah says:

I don’t think he’s looking past Kongo. I think he’s using Brock as inspiration to beat Kongo. If he trains to beat Brock then I’m sure it will help him against Kongo.

• king mah mah says:

Or something like that LOL

• Makington says:

I’ve been thinking about that a lot too. Every other sentence is about gong at it again with Brock. Most fighters never get a chance to avenge a loss and already having 2 fights with him is rare enough. It will be a while until they fight, if they ever do. I don’t think he’s underestimating Kongo, but I think he needs to focus more on his short term goals instead of his long term ones. I still expect one of the best ground heavyweights to beat one of the worst ground heavyweights.

If Mir doesn’t beat Kongo he might never get the chance to face Brock.

• Unabomberman says:

Sounds to me like Frank is in love with Brock…brrrrrr.

It’s mad creepy. Serious Stockholm Syndrome going on.

• king mah mah says:

I want Frank to inflict a compound fracture on someone inside the octagon! Kongo could be on the receiving end of it!

• xtreme_machine says:

I can’t answer the question but Mir put a lot of muscle mass.

I say he KOs Kongo

• 3OAM says:

Way to kick a guy when he’s down, Frank.

I don’t especially like Brock Lesnar either, but far be it from me to seek the demise of a gravely sick dude. Kinda harsh.

• king mah mah says:

@30AM- He was talking about Brock as a fighter. Not a sick person in the hospital. Who knows when this was taped anyway, could have been before all this Brock news.

• danw84 says:

I simply don’t see the purpose of ever watching Frank fight Brock again, other than Frank working his way up to being a clear top contender. Brock DESTROYED him both times, and all Frank was able to do in either fight is get gifted an inexperienced submission opportunity in the first fight, and land 1 big knee in the second fight.

Sorry Frank, but you have quite a ways to go before you deserve another chance.

• king mah mah says:

Frank is the only one who has beat Brock, and i’m sure he could do it again.

• danw84 says:

• ndizzle says:

frank mir has added 20-30 pounds on him ,i think he been doing some bodybuilding,so he walks around at 270-280,this guy is focused on lesnar.i personally think he is overlooking kongo,because he hasnt given kongo any respect.

• neijia says:

Lesnar is also the champ. Shouldn’t the top teams in the NFL be obsessed with the Super Bowl? That doesn’t mean they look past each team. I think Mir’s analysis is right on as usual. Mir may be able to win in standup but if it goes to decision, that’ll be too close. Of course someone could get KO’ed but that goes the other way, too. Submission at some point is a much better idea, even for winning on boring ground points. I’d still say Mir, sub, rd 3.

• Makington says:

xtreme_machine: I can’t answer the question but Mir put a lot of muscle mass.
    I say he KOs Kongo

A bold statement!!!!

I like it.

• bigbadjohn says:

how sweet would it be to see Mir get HIS arm broken in a submission by Kongo. It’s not going to happen but a man can dream, right?

• danw84 says:

danw84: Yeah because he was sure looking good in that fight prior to Lesnar handing him his foot.

• Dufresne says:

• madheartmma says:

Mir is a duece, most mma fighters dont want to “physical dismember, and scar someone for life.” (countdown to ufc show on spike). He’s got issues, what an arrogant dude, I hope Kongo knees him in the face and breaks his jaw. So he wont talk about how tough, great, smart, and everything else conceded people say about themselves, he is.
    LET THE DISLIKES BEGIN !!

• Nick Havok says:

danw84: Not that it matters all that much, but the 7 of you who thumbs downed that statement, do you think Mir DID look good in either of those fights?

What did Brock last…a whole 90 seconds in that fight?

• BigDave says:

Mir is a dbag plain and simple, lets hope Kongo turns his lights out quick.

• I really like Frank Mir and I’m really pullin for him because he is a decent guy, he’s just got a strange way of looking at things. That being said I would love a war, but I dont see this makin it past the 2nd and I doubt it’ll go past the first. I doubt Mir is looking past Kongo, he just wants Kongo to think he has. If Kongo comes at Mir it’ll be a quick takedown and a quick submission. If it stays on the feet for too long Mir might get dropped, and then grab a surprise submission. I’ll bet Kongo has kind of looked past Mir, because I certainly believe he looked past Cain.

That didnt go well for him.

• moosebaby02 says:

danw84
    ya i have no idea whats those thumbs down for but your 100% correct man.
    I keep hearing about this improved stand up of Mirs????? ya it looked great in his 2nd match with brock right???? or are we still referring to the fight he had with an out of shape Nog who went through a training camp with a steph infection????? cause if so he really really improved.
    oh by the way how GREAT did nog look when he gets to train a full camp healthy when he was picking apart Randy C.

• Nick Havok says:

I just don’t know how you can claim a guy looked good in a fight he lost in a minute and a half.

That doesn’t make any sense to me at all.

• mohawk009 says:

Dufresne: As improved as Mir’s standup is, it’s still not on the level of Kongo’s. That being said, Mir has the ground game and the experience to win this fight.The one problem I see is if Mir really has looked past Cheick. If he’s been foolish enough to look past a dangerous stirker like Kongo, he’s going to be in for a long night. We’ve seen Mir go down to a decent standup fighter in Brandon Vera in the recent past, and though it sure looks like Mir has improved his standup, I don’t think it’s anywhere near Cheick’s. If Mir forgets who he is and decides to strike with Kongo, I don’t see this ending well for him; but Mir is smart, so I see him taking Kongo down and tapping him out in the 1st, possibly the 2nd if Kongo has actually seen the inside of a jiu jitsu gym since his last fight.

Exactly! I’m rather shocked at how many people think Mir has a chance if this fight stays standing. Only time Mir ever looked good on his feet was against a visibly weakened Minatauro. That being said, Kongo by KO or Mir by Sub.

• xxDejay032xx says:

Frank failed to impress me both fights….He was losing the first fight until brock just handed him his leg and he sure as hell wasnt close the second one…If Mir wants to beat Brock he better train hella hard, or hope Brock hands him the other leg….

• xxDejay032xx says:

That is if there is a third brock/mir fight

• xxDejay032xx says:

oh and back on the kongo and mir fight….its said that mir’s stand up as gotten better but i dont think its near enough…kongo 2nd round KO!

• fetussandwich says:

madheartmma: Mir is a duece, most mma fighters dont want to “physical dismember, andscar someone for life.” (countdown to ufc show on spike). He’s got issues, what an arrogant dude, I hope Kongo knees him in the face and breaks his jaw.

Did you intentionally insult him for doing something and then proceed to do it in the following sentence, or was that just a coincidence?

• Jess says:

Mir your going off like Champ Kind from the Channel Four News Team, who put it so elegantly when he said “We need you. Hell, I need you. I’m a mess without you. I miss you so damn much. I miss being with you, I miss being near you. I miss your laugh. I miss your scent; I miss your musk. When this all gets sorted out, I think you and me should get an apartment together.” It sounds like you’re a mess without Brock Lesnar. I have one thing to say. “Take it easy, Mir. Why don’t you sit this next one out, stop talking for a while.”

• Jstew3785 says:

Like Mir said it’s Kickboxing with takedowns. Mir wins this fight via 1st round submission- Armbar

• baldguy80 says:

Frank’s a smart dude, incredibly talented, but suffers from bouts of “lack of motivation”. If he needs the Vanilla Gorilla to get amp-ed up to fight at 110%, I’m all for it..

(Hey, Frank did remember to at least mention Kongo in the interview…)

• danw84 says:

Nick Havok:
    I thought Mir looked hella-good when he made Brock tap out. Looked like he was playing the bongos on Frank’s ass.What did Brock last…a whole 90 seconds in that fight?

So what you’re saying is that Mir looks good only when Brock makes an incredibly inexperienced mistake in only his second fight? Yeah I’ll agree with you there.

All Mir needs to beat Brock is to hope his sickness made him forget all the improvements and changes to his game he’s made since that first fight!!

• madheartmma says:

fetussandwich:

WHAT? Did you watch countdown to UFC 107? Mir WANTS TO “PHYSICALLY DISMEMBER AND SCAR HIM FOR LIFE”. for life? that’s right folks..FOR LIFE. (talk about a sore loser.) I’ve had a broken jaw, it healed, it SUCKED, but it healed. VERY humbling experience, not dismembered, not scarred FOR LIFE. Not a limp in my step, just time to be quite, and reflect. Soooo..I seem to miss how this would be coincidence? But “fetussandwich”, you sound like you think you are a pretty smart…person…enlighten me. I COULD BE WRONG. happens all the time. And while you explain this coincidence to me..what’s up w/ your picture in the top right corner? Is that…um…lightweight…um racist? Or is that coincidence? Hey I could be wrong…happens all the time.

• Dufresne says:

fetussandwich:

I actually agree with fetussandwich here. I don’t think it’s any better when a fan calls for an fighter to be injured than when a fighter does it. That’s classless and incredibly unsportsmanlike.

• fetussandwich says:

Dufresne:

I like this guy.

• madheartmma: WHAT? Did you watch countdown to UFC 107? Mir WANTS TO “PHYSICALLY DISMEMBER AND SCAR HIM FOR LIFE”. for life? that’s right folks..FOR LIFE.

Mir said he wanted to scar Kongo on a Mental Level guys. . I just put it on from On Demand. Frank should want to knock Cheick out if he wants to send a message to Brock.

Frank made Brock look slow in the last fight when the striking is talked about. I really don’t think that Mir is worried at all about Kongos striking being that Brock is quicker in my opion and has heavier hands. Mir was getting rocked in that first fight and still had the clarity to go for a knee bar which never happens in the UFC. The last one I can remember was Franky Edgar against Tyson Griffin UFC 67 and that didn’t work.. Dudes.. when a fighter is getting rocked like that and still can pull out you have to give the guy credit.

Mir made a mistake going for a knee bar in the last fight and he threw a flying knee against a dude with some of the highest caliber wrestling in the USA. Combine that with size and and just enough Jiu Jitsu defense and you got what happened. Frank needs to train with Couture. The only man to get out from under Brock. Kongo has ZERO wrestling and ZERO Jiu Jistu which you can’t get with just 6 weeks of training without at least a solid wrestling base. Frank has just enough striking and More than enough Jitsu. Case Closed 1st or mid second at the latest.