Diego Sanchez and the “YES! Cartwheel” of glory

A self admitted Tony Robbins follower, Diego Sanchez has long been viewed as …. well, a little bit on the odd side since the days of his stint on the first season of The Ultimate Fighter, but it appears as though lightweight title challenger has completely out-done himself during last evening’s airing of the UFC 107 Countdown Show on Spike TV, performing the “Yes! Cartwheel” like it was his job.

Will Diego come out to the Octagon while doing the “Yes! Cartwheel” in his UFC 107 clash with B.J. Penn for all of the marbles at 155 pounds on Saturday evening? Will he employ the tactic in the heat of battle for one of the most spectacular knockouts in the history of the game? Stay tuned as Penn vs. Sanchez promises to be one of the most entertaining UFC showdowns in recent memory.

• fanoftna33 says:

He may be odd, but I bet he take Penns belt.

• moosebaby02 says:

i will take that bet fan.
    oh he is beyond odd. reminds me of one of those guys in grade school who will do anything he can to get everyone looking or paying him any kind of attention

• king mah mah says:

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing. He is a little “different”, but my money is on Diego.

• king mah mah says:

Penn is going down! Bring the thumbs down bitches!

• fanoftna33 says:

You really think Penn will walk out with the title Moose.
    I think this is a great fight but it will come down to who is stronger mentally by the 4th or 5th round. That guy will end up winning and I think it will be Deigo by close decision, or very late tko.

Nightmare! Nightmare! Woooooooooooo!

• VENOM says:

BJ via Rear Naked Choke in the 3rd round!

• king mah mah says:

@VENOM- [deleted] Sanchez by tko rd 1.

Easy on the fighter bashing king. – Staff

• Bad Monkey says:

That was hilarious! The guy is definitely out there, but he’s a great fighter and he’s banging Ali Sonoma so he must be doing something right.

Can’t wait to see him bring the ruckus to BJ, should be a great fight.

• Jstew3785 says:

BJ Penn takes this one…. easily. Write that down.

• Makington says:

I can see Diego putting on more pressure and having the better cardio, but I see BJ being better than Diego in every other aspect. I think BJ is kind of a douche, but I almost never bet against him, and definitely not when he’s fighting guys his size. I think BJ is better in every area except maybe in takedowns, which I think is Diego’s only chance. If he can grind BJ out on the ground and avoid any mistakes that might get him submitted, he might be able to overwhelm BJ and gas him out, but I just don’t see it happening. No one has even come close to touching BJ so far in the LW division since the UFC brought it back.

• Xspur says:

Just when I start convincing myself that Diego has all the tools it takes to beat BJ, I remember that I thought that about Florian too. I believe that Diego could easily beat the BJ we knew from a couple years ago, but BJ today is a whole nother beast. An in shape, focused, confident BJ Penn is the best 155 lb’er in the world, period. I believe that Diego will come with a great effort, and it will be a very exciting fight. But until someone beats BJ and this weight, I will not bet against him again.

• king mah mah says:

Sanchez TKO rd 1. Write THAT down!

• fanoftna33 says:

If Deigos cardio is as good as it was when he fought at 170 the he wins easily, but his last two fights he seemed to slow down quite a bit by round 3, hopefully he has enough time to acclimate to the weight cut and we see the cardio machine he was not long ago.

• king mah mah says:

Just wanted to keep posting to see if i could be #1 P4P reader! LOL I made it!

• Makington says:

lol, congrats mah mah, but I must still disagree with Diego winning. BJ has too many more ways to win the fight imo. Like Xspur said, until someone beats BJ at 155, I will never bet against him.

• king mah mah says:

@ Makington- I’m looking for Diego to overwhelm him in the beginning for an early TKO. Or outlast BJ waiting for him to gas. Either way I think Sanchez takes it. Atleast i hope. I want Diego to shake the LW division up a little bit.

• king mah mah says:

@ The staff- Sorry guys, didn’t think before i typed! I apologize.

Water under the bridge – Staff

Copy that.

• Jstew3785 says:

Penn has yet to be knocked down in a fight so I doubt Diego can stop him. Penn is better in every aspect of the game and I really don’t think cardio will be an issue. Diego was gassed in the 3rd round of the Stevenson and Guida fight so maybe people should look at his cardio issues.

• Vogairian says:

He is a bit of a nut, but what can ya do? Also Diego is probably my favorite fighter, but I have BJ winning.

• moosebaby02 says:

fan first off, I dont like BJ PENN at all.
    but that dosent mean he is not what it is…..the best lightweight in the world. I would be the first in line of all the BJ haters wanting…..wait PRAYING for him to get destroyed but it wont happen.
    Xspur is correct
    “I believe that Diego could easily beat the BJ we knew from a couple years ago, but BJ today is a whole nother beast. An in shape, focused, confident BJ Penn is the best 155 lb’er in the world, period. ”
    plus a TICKED OFF Penn is nothing Diego wants to deal with. Nothing piss him off more then when some young punk runs his mouth off and when is confronted with what he said in an interview like last Saturday and tip toe around the question.
    I loved how Penn ended the interview with
    “I’ll see you in the middle of the ring Diego”
    Fan this is not going to make it to the 4th round at all and the nightmare is in for a rude awakeing like he was when he fought Kos.

• bmwiest says:

Sorry but no one beats BJ penn in the 155 division for a while! I thought Florian had a chance and I believe Florian is still a better fighter than Diego.

I am with VENOM 3rd rd submission

I am just glad BJ is not fighting in the 170 lb class anymore.

• David Andrest says:

Diego has a history of looking strong in the 4th and 5th rounds of fights.

BJ has never fought anyone in Diego’s league.

• fanoftna33 says:

Moose, very good point, and maybe B J coming out guns blazing is exactly what Deigo wants, get B J riled up and make him come out looking for the ko, wear him out fot two rounds(easier said than done) then attack.
    I think this type of mental game Deigo is playing is a tough one to pull off as B J usually isnt one to fall for it but you never know, Deigo could just work this plan out and acually have B J gassed out by the third round.

• Xspur says:

David Andrest: Diego has a history of looking strong in the 4th and 5th rounds of fights.
    BJ has never fought anyone in Diego’s league.

Hrmm, how many 5 round fights has Diego had? I’m really not even sure where you pulled that thought from. Penn looked great in the late rounds against Florian, barring an injury that effects his training, BJ will be in shape for this one.

• Jstew3785 says:

Sarcasm Xspur……

• Jstew3785 says:

Notice the smiley face…?

• moosebaby02 says:

when was the last time Diego had a Champion Ship fight Mr Andrest???? and what weight class????
    I know Penn being two divison Champion has been is some wars going into the later rounds but Diego hasnt not once in his almost 5 years in the UFC.

• Xspur says:

Jstew3785: Notice the smiley face…?

I did not, I apologize. Thank God it was sarcasm!

• moosebaby02 says:

well if it is sarcasm then I suck. casue i even doubled checked just to make sure i wasnt putting my own foot in my mouth

• Jstew3785 says:

Good God does anyone not have a sense of humor!!!!????

• Jstew3785 says:

does anyone HAVE a sense of humor…. That’s what I meant

• moosebaby02 says:

oh and fan mind games wont work on the new Penn. Not with a guy like Diego throwing the mud. Penn and his camp (brothers) have grown and re-focused themselfs wich sucks for me casue I would love to see guys like Maynard, Ken Flo again, Bocek get in their soon but with Penn being only 30 and only getting better and better, I can see him holding on to that belt forever. Unless he tries to move up again wich would be fine with me.
    at LW he is just too damn good and I dont see any of my favroite fighters in LW taken him out.

• king mah mah says:

I know most of you are fantasizing about traveling to Hawaii and putting a lei on BJ,but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s gonna lose! Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

• WarCry says:

Who knew that getting the brakes beat off of him by GsP would refocus BJ in such an intense fashion. He gets the nod in every phase of the fight. He’ll put a more competitive effort than Kenny but in the end he’ll be stopped early 5th Round.

• BigDave says:

BJ Penn not only loses his title in this one but he gets so whiny bitch after words that he retires on the spot. OK, that might not happen but a guy can hope.

Deigo is all out all the time and being the bigger fighter going into this one will serve him well. If diego doesn’t get stupid and get caught early I think he has far better cardio the Penn and easely more heart then Penn that I see Sanchez either winning by tko gnp late in the fourth or in the fifth or by decision.

Either way I`m looking forward to comming on here after BJ loses and starts to whine again just to have a laugh.

• moosebaby02 says:

na War
    Venom is right. 3rd.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think who wins this fight really comes down to 1 thing
    who gets the first eye poke in, that fighter will win this fight.

• king mah mah says:

No moose, BigDave is right.

• moosebaby02 says:

and thats why I love BigDave.
    as much as it kills me Penn takes this one.

• Jak says:

I thought it was awesome when i saw there was 40 comments for a diego sanchez/bj penn article… then i read the comments and realized it was just someone getting their “e-numbers” up….

That’s kind of lame.

• king mah mah says:

Yeah so lame you took time to comment on it.

• Diego is super silly . I can’t help but be fan of the guy on and off the mat.

• elsicilian says:

Xspur: An in shape, focused, confident BJ Penn is the best 155 lb’er in the world, period. I believe that Diego will come with a great effort, and it will be a very exciting fight. But until someone beats BJ and this weight, I will not bet against him again.

Amen to that! I love Diego too … sure, he’s a little contrived and a bit silly overall, but he is always entertaining, inside the octagon and out.

Unfortunately this is the last really great UFC fight on the immediate horizon, so I am going to enjoy every bit of it … I hope it goes 4!

• CMT says:

I have Diego in the second round by “YES” shout!!!!!!!

• qat says:

if you want to chat, why not chat?

btw. i see bj as the winner, but im hyped up, everything can happen.

• sneakerpimp says:

i’d pay to see Diego doing the YES Cartwheel right off a cliff :)

• moosebaby02 says:

fanoftna33 says:
    December 9, 2009 at 1:10 pm (Quote)
    I think who wins this fight really comes down to 1 thing
    who gets the first eye poke in, that fighter will win this fight.

that can be very well true as well fan
    lmao

• David Andrest says:

sneakerpimp: i’d pay to see Diego doing the YES Cartwheel right off a cliff :)

Diego said he has something special planned for the Latino community for his entrance.

• sneakerpimp says:

like a one-handed cartwheel holding a burrito? that would be impressive.

• Unabomberman says:

Holy shi…

Why?

Uh…color me the party pooper here, but what if he tries that before the fight and injures himself? Nobody wants Diego to pull a Shamrock. If he goes mental trying to pump himself up you never know.

• neijia says:

fanoftna33: I think who wins this fight really comes down to 1 thing
    who gets the first eye poke in, that fighter will win this fight.

lol very good point. let’s hope that bs doesn’t happen. I like Diego a lot, too, but assuming BJ is still this “newly refocused” BJ, agree with the majority here that he is just simply better. Florian didn’t even look like a top fighter against Penn. Sure, Sanchez is moving down from a larger weight class but BJ has obviously fought the BEST at 170 and has even taken on Lyoto Machida at 220 (and did pretty well, imo, despite the UD loss). All I ask for is an entertaining fight, no BS eye poke, and no BS unanimous decision everyone disagrees with later. If Diego pulls it off, then at least we have a rematch to look forward to at some point

• bigbadjohn says:

…the weirdo checks out in the 3rd, BJ licks the blood of another victim off his gloves.

• Angry Mike says:

BJ by rear naked choke as Diego screams “Yes! Yes! Yes!”

But if King Mah Mah is right, some of y’all will have to change your screen names or take an ass load of “toldja so’s”

• Pajamashark says:

Diego is delightfully wacky.

Remember in TUF when Kos convinced him while drunk that aliens were coming to get him?

• Nick Havok says:

Unabomberman: Holy shi…Why?Uh…color me the party pooper here, but what if he tries that before the fight and injures himself?

Or like that guy at MFC 23 last weekend who was hoping around the ring just moments before his fight and severely rolled (and possibly broke) his ankle.

Not only was that incredibly embarassing…but it most likely cost him the fight too.

• BJ wins this fight… and any fight against UFC’s current 155 roster.

He really should move up to WW, albeit not to an immediate title shot. I’m much more intrigued in match-ups with Fitch, Alves, Koscheck, etc.`

• Dufresne says:

This guy is such an oddball.

To all the folks saying that BJ is going to get KO’d, there is no way that’s happening. He’s fought people that naturally weigh 75+ pounds more than him without getting knocked down.
    The only way I see Diego pulling this off is if BJ gasses and Diego just out works him.

• Nick Havok says:

Dufresne: I don’t know about everyone else, but his stare-down before the fight is annoying as hell to me. Sorry Diego, but you’re not fighting a guy that’s going to be intimidated by a mean look.

LOL!

Diego’s stare doesn’t annoy me personally, but I totally agree with you when you state that he isn’t going to intimidate anyone with it.

Not at this level anyway…which brings me to my next question. Why does he do it then?

Seems like it wastes a lot of energy.

I mean I doubt I could make that face for 5 minutes straight without completely gassing out.