Medical Suspensions Issued for TUF 10 Finale

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has released its list of medical suspensions resulting from action on the December 5th, 2009 Ultimate Fighter Season 10 Finale.

According to an email sent to FiveOuncesofPain.com by NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer, a total of nine UFC fighters will be forcibly sitting on the sidelines for at least some period of time.

As expected, Matt Hamill‘s shoulder injury will require clearance from a medical professional before he is permitted to resume training, though surprisingly enough he is also joined by three other athletes from the event who could potentially be out of action until June 2010 without a doctor’s treatment.

The complete list of suspensions is as follows:

John Howard – Suspended until 12/27/09 (no contact until 12/20/09 for laceration)

Dennis Hallman – Suspended until 2/05/10 (no contact until 1/20/10)

Justin Wren – Must have CT scan of facial bones and must be cleared by a doctor or no contact until 6/4/10

James McSweeney – Must have right third metacarpal and right hand cleared by orthopedic doctor or no contact until 6/4/10

Darrill Schoonover – No training or fighting until ophthamologic clearance, suspended until 2/5/10 (no contact until 1/20/10)

Matt Mitrione – Must have right wrist X-rayed and cleared by orthopedic doctor or no contact until 6/4/10, minimum suspension until 1/5/10 (no contact until 12/27/09)

Marcus Jones – Suspended until 2/5/10 (no contact until 1/20/10)

Matt Hamill – Must have left shoulder cleared by orthopedic doctor or no contact until 6/4/10, minimum suspension until 2/5/10 (no contact until 1/20/10)

Brendan Schaub – Suspended until 1/20/10 (no contact until 1/5/10)

• Dufresne says:

Man some of these suspensions are insane! No contact until 6/4/10 for a broken hand?

So Hamill’s injury was to his shoulder blade, that’s gotta be painful. I’ve messed up my shoulder a few times and the doc has always told me I was lucky I didn’t get a posterior dislocation because of the damage that would have meant to the muscles that attach to the shoulder blade.
    Good luck on the recovery man, can’t wait to see you back in the Octagon.

• Nick Havok says:

Kind of off topic, but for a while now UFC fighters have been doing a phenomenal job of testing clean for steroids and other illegal substances.

I mean who is the last guy to even test dirty?…was it Leben? And how long ago was that?

Anyway, just seems like it’s been a while since someone has been caught cheating.

…and that is very refreshing!

• Dufresne says:

• Nick Havok says:

Dufresne: That kinda got me curious, so I’ve been looking into MMA drug testing. I’m very surprised by some of the people that showed up on the list such as Stephan Bonnar, Diego Sanchez, and a number of others. But to answer your question, it appears that the only MMA fighters that has tested positive for banned substances since Leben (at least the only ones I could find) would be Ken Shamrock and Josh Barnett. Neither of whom were fighting for the UFC at the time.

And what is even more astonishing is that Leben was tested internally by the UFC when they went overseas. Not by the athletic commission.

So it has REALLY been a long time since any commission has had a UFC fighter test positive.

Which is great!

It’s good for the fighters, the promotion, the fans and the sport.

…but yeah, you have to almost do a double take when you see that Diego was busted for marijuana use….that is almost unbelievable!

But honestly, it made me a fan of ‘The Nightmare’. :)

• moosebaby02 says:

F the Nightmare…..but not going to lie that did help me like him a little.

• Nick Havok says:

moosebaby02: F the Nightmare…..but not going to lie that did help me like him a little.but Ya Havok I was talking about that the other day when I saw the clip of Overeem getting kicked in face.

Honestly, I think almost every single guy who competes in Japan is on the juice, not just Overeem.

Did you see Badr Hari?…good golly miss molly, he was SHREDDED. Damn near looked as big as Alistair!

And why shouldn’t they all be on performance enhancers? They enhance performance! And if Japan doesn’t test, then by their standards it’s not considered cheating.

I’d be on them too if I was them.

• elkymbo says:

I’d love to be so muscly I looked like a condom stuffed full of walnuts so if I was in japan I’d definitely be on the juice. Ah well back to my beer belly and couch shaped arse.