Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Brandon Vera announced for UFC 109

Brandon VeraThe UFC has recently made five bouts official for UFC 109, including a previously unreported light heavyweight match-up between Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Brandon Vera.

Other bouts confirmed for the card were Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman, Josh Koscheck vs. Paulo Thiago in a rematch, Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen and Matt Serra will be facing off with Frank Trigg in welterweight action.

The event has been set for February 6, 2010 from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, and will air live on pay-per-view.

Nogueira will be looking to make it two in a row with the UFC following his first round demolition of Luiz Cane at UFC 106, while Vera will be hoping to place himself back into the winners circle following a hard-fought unanimous decision defeat at the hands of Randy Couture during UFC 105.

• Dufresne says:

This should be a fun fight to watch. The reach advantage is going to go to Vera, but I have to give the strength advantage to Little Nog.
    Unless Vera manages to catch Nog with a head kick, I really don’t see this going his way. They both have fantastic striking with Vera’s deadly Muay Thai and Nog’s impressive boxing background, but if this goes to the ground Nogueira can fall back on that world class BJJ.

• xtreme_machine says:

man this is a good fight

i think both are hungry but Little Nog has better boxing

it is going to be Mui Tai vs Boxing

• moosebaby02 says:

bye bye Vera.
    Im sure someone will fill you in what happened when you wake up in the hospital

• Kuch says:

I don’t see Vera doing well at all in this matchup. In fact I wouldn’t even favor Vera against Luis Cane. Vera’s best moments were when he was establishing himself as a HW contender, but he’s fizzled miserably since then. Noguiera should take this pretty easily.

The real question is will Noguiera fight Machida (if he gets past Shogun) for the belt? Or will we have more contenders that don’t want to fight each other?

• cocoonofhorror says:

Vera takes this.

• Rich S. says:

• i agree 100% Rich about this being awesome but let’s face it, Luis Cane was NOT a top contender. Great up and comer but James Irvin(which was a DQ but Bahna was winning clearly), Steve Cantwell and Soudkojou dont make you a top contender. Vera on the other hand just lost a razor thin decision to Randy who whether we like it or not is always a “contender” due to his legacy in the sport. This could be a good fight, but Vera better up his game. Lil Nog wont play around at all.

• superdavenorcal: Luis Cane was NOT a top contender. Great up and comer but James Irvin(which was a DQ but Bahna was winning clearly), Steve Cantwell and Soudkojou dont make you a top contender. Vera on the other hand just lost a razor thin decision to Randy who whether we like it or not is always a “contender” due to his legacy in the sport. This could be a good fight, but Vera better up his game. Lil Nog wont play around at all.

I hear what you are saying but Cane walked on Soudkojou the way one should and Steve Cantwell is no push over. I think that at the time it makes Cain a top contender to deal with in the mind of anyone in the light heavy weight class. You got to agree that Cane is no push over. With that said, Little Nog dominated Cane the way no one has, which will make this up and comer just that much stronger and more dangerous.

Gotta give this one to Little Nog. Brandon is a good striker and so is Little Nog but with more to offer . This will be fun because I know Little Nog is not afraid to engage and with his brother and Silva in the corner you know the game plan will be diverse. Brandon doesn’t have that kind of corner.

I give this fight to Nog for sure.

• Dufresne says:

FightFan313: Randy is not always a Contender? You’ve got to be kidding. Randy is a threat to anyone who steps into the cage even at 46 which he showed against Big Nog. Big Nog won that fight all three rounds but he had to EARN all three as well. The fight between Randy and Vera was boring but smart. I think Randy’s age may have caught up with him after the Big Nog fight. That fight was incredibly fast paced.

He said that Randy IS always a contender.

Otherwise I agree with everything you said.

• Question.

I thought Nate will fight Vitor???

Why is he fighting Sonnen??

• Dufresne says:

therussianexperiment: Question.I thought Nate will fight Vitor???Why is he fighting Sonnen??

Good catch, I didn’t notice that at all.

I looked around a little and everywhere I’ve been says that it is Marquardt v Sonnen, but when I went back in the 5oz archives it says he’s fighting Belfort. When did this change?

• Dufresne: He said that Randy IS always a contender.

Sorry Super.. I miss read what you said about Randy. and thank you Dufresne.

• GassedOut says:

Rich S.: This is an awesome fight, but it’s kind of weird seeing as how Rogerio just completely destroyed a top contender and Brandon is coming off a loss..

I wondered about that myself. It seems like he’s totally fizzled out at times (not all the time, I felt he beat Couture) and yet the management of the UFC still favour him. It’s not like the guy is a world-beater like Shogun. I don’t think I understand the attraction. I mean, I like him and all…I just don’t get the continued contender matchups…unless they’re feeding him to L’il Nog, a distinct possibility.

• moosebaby02 says:

i think this is a last chance fight. They have putting up with his lack luster performances in the BIG FIGHTS for some time now. I could be wrong and Vera asked for this fight. Doubt it casue if he cant beat Captian America with the game plan that everyone knew was going to happen then he is done and will never compete in the top teir. and im sure thats in the back of his mind.
    like i said
    bye bye Vera

• Angry Mike says:

Stylistically, this is a better match up for Vera than Couture. Couture’s grappling was a real problem for Vera, obviously. That won’t be a factor in his fight with Nogueira, but there’s a greater chance of a ko or tko loss. Both can knock you out, but imo, Nogueira has more power.