The Ultimate Fighter 11 to debut March 31

New York, NY, December 7, 2009 – The 11th season of Spike TV’s most popular original series ever, “The Ultimate Fighter,” will feature two coaches who need no introduction to mixed martial arts fans. UFC legends Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell and Tito “The Huntington Beach Badboy” Ortiz will continue their storied rivalry with a return to the reality show that helped launch them into the American mainstream. The new season premieres Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 10:00pm ET/PT featuring 16 of the best unsigned fighters in the middleweight (185 lbs) division. Liddell appeared as coach for the first season in January 2005 and Ortiz was a coach for season three in January 2006.

The new season goes into production in January 2010 in Las Vegas and will last six weeks. The cast will be announced in late February.

A native of Santa Barbara, CA, Liddell (21-7) was a standout wrestler at Cal Polytechnic State University where he graduated with a degree in Business/Accounting. Liddell was victorious in his first UFC fight in May, 1998 at UFC 17 and rose to fame in the sport of mixed martial arts with wins over such prominent fighters as Jeff Monson (UFC 29), Vitor Belfort (UFC 37.5), Renato Sobrol (UFC 40) and Ortiz (UFC 47). His career-defining victory occurred at UFC 52 in April 2005 as he defeated Randy Couture with a first round KO to win the UFC light heavyweight crown. Liddell held the belt for over two years before losing to Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 71 in May, 2007.

A coach on the first season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Liddell is considered by many to be the most popular mixed martial arts fighter of all time and has appeared in such pop culture outlets as “Dancing With The Stars,” “Entourage,” “The Simpsons” and the cover of ESPN The Magazine.

Ortiz, from Huntington Beach, CA, was a two-time All-American wrestler at Golden West College. Ortiz won his first bout in the Octagon at UFC 13 in May, 1997 and quickly established himself as one of the most exciting fighters in the sport. Ortiz’s landmark victory came against Wanderlei Silva at UFC 25 in Japan in April 2000 where he captured the UFC’s vacant light heavyweight title. Ortiz held the crown for 3.5 years until he was defeated in a grueling 5-round decision by Randy Couture at UFC 44 in September, 2003. After a loss to Liddell at UFC 47, Ortiz won five consecutive bouts, including two over nemesis and fellow coach of “The Ultimate Fighter 3,” Ken Shamrock. His winning streak was stopped by Liddell at UFC 66 in December 2006.

Like Liddell, Ortiz has emerged as a pop culture icon having appeared on the hit series, “Celebrity Apprentice.”

• Dufresne says:

So this season’s at middleweight? I was kinda hoping for another welterweight season since GSP has completely cleaned that division out (other than Hardy, which he’ll take care of shortly), but the MW would have been my second pick.
    I’m really hoping that they get real up and comers that want to fight and be title contenders one day. And hopefully they’ll put more focus on the development of the fighters instead of on the rivalry of the coaches.

• Jak says:

I am much less concerned with who is coaching then with who is fighting. The Uk vs. Us was an awesome season because there were so many decent fighters and the fights were really good. That alone made it a success.

Hopefully they focus their energy on bringing a good array of fighters in to fight. If they can bring an IFL champ in Roy Nelson in, we shouldn’t have to put up with super inexperienced fighters anymore. I’m sure they can find enough experienced fighters on the fringe who would want to be a part of the show.

I didn’t pay attention to the coaching last season, and after a couple episodes i couldn’t watch anymore because the fights were just awful. fighters gassing a minute in just doesn’t cut it. :(

• Nick Havok says:

Nick Thompson, Logan Clark and Bobby Southworth all tried out for the upcoming season of TUF.

,,,and Logan Clark posted himself that Jason Lambert was there too (but was not mentioned in the article I got this info from).

I think they should definitely pick up Clark and Thompson though…not too sure about Southworth.

Yeah, Bobby is a ‘name’ (and would be the first repeat TUF contestant)…but he is old and boring.

And calling him that is not fighter bashing…hell, he will tell you the same thing himself. Because next to Antonio KcKee…Bobby is the most boring fighter in the game. He has no problem with simply holding someone down for 15 or 25 minutes to a chorus of BOOS.

…not if it gets him the win.

I say leave this guy at home. He isn’t needed for next season…regardless of the story they can promote around him.

• GassedOut says:

This just in…Hendo signed with Strikeforce!

• Makington says:

I still would like to watch this fight, although it seems like I’m the only one on here. Maybe it’s because I’ve been a Chuck fan for so long now and I hate to see him at the end of his career, but I still give him a bit of credit as a fighter too. I mean, he has downwardly spiraled, but to the best fighters in the best division. Tito has some of the least punching power in UFC history, so I feel mostly safe saying Chuck won’t get one-punched again. I really want to see Chuck leave the octagon in style with a win.

Agreed with Dufresne, I would hope they make it more about the fighters and their training, but do you think Tito will pass on any chance to have his face on the screen and soak up any viewer out there?

• Dufresne says:

Oh no, Tito’s gonna be a tool, there’s zero question in my mind about that. He used to be one of the best 205 fighters in the world, now he’s just one of the best self promoters in the world.

My one hope for that is Chuck. He doesn’t talk much shit, he usually just calls it like he sees it. I’m hoping that he’ll just smile, give Tito the bird, and walk off like he usually does.

• Nick Havok says:

Dufresne: He used to be one of the best 205 fighters in the world, now he’s just one of the best self promoters in the world.

Amen to that.

It’s like everytime we see Tito now it’s becoming more and more evident how much of an attention whore he really is.

I personally think he is trying too hard…because the stuff that come out of Tito’s mouth these days really seems to be preconcieved and measured.

It’s made me really dislike him.

• roshambo says:

This will hopefully be a better season than the HW’s. At least maybe some of these guys will actually want to bang. What happens at the end though? You have Tito who hassn’t won in his last 4 fights and hasnt won in over 3 years vs Chuck who has lost 4 of his last five and will be pushing almost 2 years without a win once they meet. This seems like it has the loser ends their career written all over it. I don’t see how either fighter is remotely marketable with another loss under their belt. That might make for a great marketing campaign this go around though.