Dan Henderson signs with Strikeforce UPDATED!

Former Pride middleweight and light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson has reportedly signed with Strikeforce.

Henderson who had called the UFC home in recent years was unable to come to terms with organization. The negotiation process took a public turn for the worse when UFC President Dana White was very vocal about Henderson asking for money that would make him the highest paid fighter in the sport.

The report of the Strikeforce signing came from  AOL Fanhouse. While the terms of the deal are unknown, Henderson will add credible depth to two of the organizations weight classes.

A debut date for the fighter is also unclear, but the potential fights for Henderson of plentiful. The signing of Henderson also gives the San Jose based organization and immediate title challenger for Gegard Mousasi.  Mousasi is the Strikeforce light heavyweight champion and the owner of a 14 fight winning streak.

Update from Strikeforce

NEW YORK (Dec. 7, 2009)–Four-time mixed martial arts (MMA) world champion and two-time United States Olympic wrestler Dan Henderson will enter a new chapter in his legendary career after signing a multi-fight agreement with world championship MMA promotion STRIKEFORCE.

Henderson, the only fighter in history to simultaneously hold two titles in two different weight classes – the welterweight (183 pounds) and light heavyweight (205 pounds) crowns – with a major MMA promotion – PRIDE Fighting Championships – will enter the STRIKEFORCE cage after earning “Knockout of the Night” honors with his stunning second-round KO (3:20) over Michael “The Count” Bisping at UFC 100 in Las Vegas, Nevada on July 11, 2009.

“I’m very happy to be a part of STRIKEFORCE and their partnership with CBS and SHOWTIME®,” said the 39-year-old Henderson, who represented The United States in Greco-Roman wrestling in both the 1992 and 1996 Summer Olympics.

“STRIKEFORCE and its growing roster of world class talent will offer me many exciting fights and has the ability to bring many new fans from all around the world to mixed martial arts. I am grateful to (STRIKEFORCE Founder and CEO) Scott Coker for the opportunity to help make this happen and for treating me with the utmost respect throughout our negotiations.

“I’d also like to thank Dana (White) and the UFC for the opportunities they provided me and I wish them ongoing success.  I’ll continue to watch their events and I hope they’ll tune in to my fights in STRIKEFORCE.  After all, I’m a true fan of our fantastic sport and would love only to see MMA continue to grow.”

“We are excited to welcome Dan Henderson to STRIKEFORCE,” said Coker.  “Dan is one of the world’s premiere fighters who has lived out an extraordinary career.  We are looking forward to having him compete for us.”

At both Cal State Fullerton and Arizona State University, Henderson established himself as a force in collegiate wrestling, reaching the NCAA championships in 1993.

In 1997, Henderson entered the world of MMA, winning the Brazil Open, a four-man heavyweight tournament.  One year later, he was the victor of the UFC 17 tournament, defeating both Allan Goes and Carlos Newton in the same night on May 15, 1998.

Following a stellar six plus year career with the now-defunct, Japan-based PRIDE Fighting Championships where he conquered a number of all-time greats including Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Wanderlei “The Axe Murderer” Silva, and Vitor Belfort, Henderson re-entered UFC.  He was selected to serve as coach of Team USA on the ninth season of The Ultimate Fighter reality series, which premiered on Spike TV on April 1, 2009.

• fetussandwich says:

Strikeforce – 2
    Dana White – 0

• elsicilian says:

Say it ain’t so, Hendo!

• Dufresne says:

SF is bringing the heat lately. By my count, that’s 3 good signings this week alone.

I wonder who they’re going to match Hendo up with first, and which division Hendo will fight in? Maybe he’ll be a 2 division champ again like he was at the end of PRIDE, that would be fun to see.

• Nick Havok says:

Strikeforce snubs Dana again!

Whoo-Hoo! Score another for the good guys.

All my shit-talking aside…this is a phenomenal signing by Strikeforce. Especially considering he is coming off that monumental KO of the UFC’s English golden boy and TUF 3 winner, Michael Bisping.

I mean Dan is at the top of the MMA world right now. He can do no wrong.

I hope they make the Henderson-Mousasi fight immediately. That will be amazing.

• Jak says:

I like what SF has done, Manouef, Hendo, Lawal and a lot of the less known super prospects they’ve been announcing.

Hendo vs. Mousasi, Shields, and Lawal and if on the off chance he defeats those 3, then a free event against Fedor Emelianenko to top it off would be my preferred scenerio.

One can dream, can’t he? :)

• qat says:

bring mousasi first, that would be great. or get that title from shieldzZz.

• moosebaby02 says:

this is a good signing for SF but for how long?????
    put him aginst Mousasi first…..fine but then what?? better yet what if he loses to Mousasi wich can very well happen. then what do you do???? oh send him down tho middleweight cause he couldnt hang in lhw.
    k what if he beats Mousasi and then who do you put in front of him???
    better not put how much your paying him SF cause if it comes out your giving him the world just for a name and he gets exsposed for the one dimensional fighter that he is the it is all for not.
    just something to think about.

• Jak says:

*sigh*….

Why can’t we just appreciate a signing without bringing out the Anti-UFC people or the fact SF doesn’t have a h*ll of a lot of competition beyond a few fighters for Hendo.

Think positively, if SF continues to gain momentum and if the Dec. 19th card is a success, the UFC will have to start stepping up what they do and we’ll get 2 organizations putting on good cards.

It doesn’t always have to be negative.

• baldguy80 says:

(I suppose a third option is that there are big-ticket fighters taking a paycut just to fight somewhere other than the UFC… Hmmmm…)

• qat says:

moosebaby02:
    this is a good signing for SF but for how long?????
    k what if he beats Mousasi and then who do you put in front of him???
    just something to think about.

i say give him mousasi first, and yeah i even would have mousasi as favorite on that. but i wanna see that fight. that simple. :)
    theese “mma-politics” are quite exhausting, in the end we all wanna see good fights, dont we?

• Nick Havok says:

moosebaby02: if …he gets exsposed for the one dimensional fighter that he is…

Ummm…did you just call Dan Henderson a one-dimensional fighter?

OMG…you did.

Care to elaborate on that?

• mohawk009 says:

Mousasi vs Hendo for sure! Now we can really gauge where Mousasi is in his development. Anyone know how long mousasi’s contract is? Cause if he gets by Hendo then what? I would much rather see mousasi in the ufc

• Makington says:

He definitely isn’t a one dimensional fighter, but you have to admit he does kind of fight like one. If I were a world class wrestler like him, I would be sure to use my skills from time to time. Obviously, there’s no denying his right hand hasn’t worked for him but you see him slug it out much more often than you see him control fighters.

I was kind of hoping he would go back to the UFC where there are imo much better match ups and which meant Dana was starting to treat his fighters better. However, this is still great for Strikeforce and it’s only a matter of time now until Hendo holds belts in 2 weight classes again.

• Dufresne says:

baldguy80: How did Coker get such deep pockets so quickly? Or is he buying on credit for these big ticket purchases?

• ndizzle says:

this is great signing for sf this bolsters their roster,he can fight both weights,fihgt in japan as well.lm glad he didnt go back to the ufc for being treated the way he was,getting his clothing line banned to accept peanuts

• Makington says:

Dana banned Clinch Gear on him? What a kick in the teeth, I didn’t know that.

• Nick Havok says:

Dufresne: I was kinda thinking that too. Unless CBS is paying them more than I expected, or they’ve got a ton of provisional clauses (like the NFL does so often) in their contracts, I don’t know exactly how they’re doing this.

Why is it so shcking that Strikeforce has money?

This isn’t EliteXC, Bodog or Affliction we are talking about…it’s Strikeforce.

They make money…not bleed it.

• Adam Tool says:

Makington: Dana banned Clinch Gear on him? What a kick in the teeth, I didn’t know that.

This might be the most unintentionally funny thing I’ve read all day.

• Scott H. says:

I’m with Jak on this one…

SF signed a top 5 MW, or a top 10 LHW depending on where he’s fighting. Good for them!

Henerson’s by all accounts a good guy, and I hope he got a good contract. There are some interesting fights for him at SF, and I’m looking forward to watching!

• xtreme_machine says:

Mousasi will send him back to MW.

• Scott H. says:

Nick Havok: Why is it so shcking that Strikeforce has money?
    This isn’t EliteXC, Bodog or Affliction we are talking about…it’s Strikeforce.

• Dufresne says:

xtreme_machine: Mousasi will send him back to MW.

I don’t quite see that.

Mousasi seemed to be having trouble with Sokoudjou’s wrestling and power, and while Hendo might not be quite as powerful, I can guarantee that his wrestling is better.
    Hendo also has a chin like a bank vault, he’s taken shots from the biggest hitters in MMA and has yet to be KO’d so I’m not seeing much of a chance of Mousasi doing that either.
    Mousasi is a very talented fighter, but I just don’t think he has the skill set to take down Hendo right now. But it would be an exciting fight.

• ndizzle says:

Scott H.: Hi Nick. I can see why people are thinking this might be to good to be true, mainly because it’s happened in the past. All of the anti UFC crowd talk themselves into beliveing this time (EliteXC, then Affliction, now Strikeforce) it will be differn’t. The bottom line is it’s a tough business to make money in, and MMA math applies as much to promoters, as to fighters. The ability to run a small promotion does not automatically give you the ability to run a large promotion.I do want Strikeforce to succeed, but I can see why people are sceptical, because we’ve been down this road before.

like coker has stated mma is sf core business,affliction they had to pit money in clothing,bodog had the gambling,and elitxc jus screwd themselves over.
    correct me if im wrong but didnt coker close down strikeforce kickboxing to focus on mma sf

• Nick Havok says:

That is totally understandable…and it does seem like Strikeforce is just the next ‘fad’ organization to fall before the mighty UFC…just like all the previous ones have.

But I want to be more optomistic than this…and Strikeforce hasn’t given me one reason yet to think they will go down the same ‘path of death’ that all the other orgs have.

They aren’t basing all their shows around the same unproven commodity and they aren’t blowing through money like it’s going out of style (much like how EliteXC did. Ex: flying 30+ people out in first class for each show, renting out expensive office buildings in downtown Los Angeles, employing more people than necessary, etc.).

No, Strikeforce is doing things the right way…by starting out small and building up at their own pace. You know, not trying to be the kings in one day.

We shouldn’t be so quick to doubt them.

• GassedOut says:

I think this is an awesome signing for Strikeforce. It was like the UFC just walked away at one point. I’ve always said Dan Henderson understands the business of MMA, and he would make the move if it seems like a good one for him. Apparently it did. Great job, Dan! Go git ’em!

• Makington says:

Affliction’s biggest problem was they believed that, like boxing back in the day, the Heavyweight division was the premier, unstoppable division. They paid way way too much for fighters that didn’t deserve nearly half of what they were paid. Tim Sylvia was getting something like 300,000 to fight for them. They took a gamble with putting everything into that division and it didn’t pay off. Even the casuals know nowadays that there are great fighters in every division, and you don’t need to spend way out of the organization’s comfort zone to get fighters people just weren’t interested in.

Strikeforce has been doing this much better than its predecessors, it has been taking its time, putting on quality fights with lesser known (but still talented) cheaper fighters while picking up big name fighters occasionally. Now that they are starting to reap a little of the benefits, they’re picking up bigger fights a bit more often and really trying to build divisions. I can only see Strikeforce going up from here.

Other fighters that feel they aren’t getting paid enough, like Roger Huerta for instance, might see that this has been successful for Hendo and might jump ship if it means more money for them.

I really liked Jak’s point about how this is going to force the UFC to step up as well, which will be good for MMA altogether.

• Makington says:

I guess if I waited 5 minutes before posting I would have seen that I almost exactly copied what Nick is saying.

Woops.

• baldguy80 says:

Nick Havok:
    Why is it so shcking that Strikeforce has money?This isn’t EliteXC, Bodog or Affliction we are talking about…it’s Strikeforce.They make money…not bleed it.Remember, Scott Coker has been successfully promoting combat sports since the days when Dana White was an aerobics instructor.The man knows what he is doing…and it’s awesome to see him get such HUGE names to promote around now. The sky is the limit for him.

Very true Scott H. Even Dana (reluctantly) had respect for Coker’s abilities, once upon a time.. But I guess what I wonder is why he’s able to do it RIGHT NOW. He’s been able to attract decent talent, but always “fringe” talent, in my humble opinion. I wonder if he’ll be able to attract the top level talent away from UFC on a consistent basis.. That would be something to crow about!

• Jak says:

Makington: I really liked Jak’s point about how this is going to force the UFC to step up as well, which will be good for MMA altogether

thanks.

I think the Rua/Machida decision, the Vera/Couture fight and Houston Alexanders circling performance, Lesnar not being able to be showcased, Rampage and Evans being called off, Ortiz vs. Griffin being a mainevent, and Fedor vs. Rogers being a great fight and an overall super success hasn’t helped either. 😉

• Dufresne says:

“I’d also like to thank Dana (White) and the UFC for the opportunities they provided me and I wish them ongoing success. I’ll continue to watch their events and I hope they’ll tune in to my fights in STRIKEFORCE. After all, I’m a true fan of our fantastic sport and would love only to see MMA continue to grow.”

Perfectly said Dan. As much as the UFC probably doesn’t want to admit it, SF is good for MMA. They’re putting on good shows with big names on free BROADCAST tv. If SF can keep this up, maybe one day we’ll have an NFL or MLB type situation with cross promotion and maybe even a yearly super-event. It may be a pipe dream, but hey, it is the holiday season :)

• roshambo says:

Strikeforce is really on a roll and you have to wonder if it will continue. They appear to have alot to offer fighters that want to join their organization. They have a network TV deal, a growing cast of reputable fighters and an organization that seems willing to give the fighters alot of flexiblility to do other things that just isnt available in the UFC. The more people that sign with Strikeforce, the more realistic an option it becomes for other fighters to sign there. Wasn’t their an article not that long ago about Huerta possibly joining Strikeforce? They are becoming a viable option for those that are in contract disputes. In the end I think this will end up providing better paydays for all fighters in the sport which I think most would agree is a good thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if Rampage finishes out his UFC contract and then signs with Strikeforce to spite Dana White. He would be able to fight and continue to make movies if he so choses. The next year should be an interesting year for Strikeforce, UFC and the MMA community.

• ndizzle says:

may debut opposite Jake Shields on a tentatively scheduled CBS card in April 2010

• roshambo says:

any word on location ndizzle?

• ndizzle says:

roshambo: any word on location ndizzle?

sorry no i dont sorry

• While this is a good signing for StrikeForce, I really think it is a short term good signing. Dan is 39 and wouldn’t be a champ in the UFC. Although I still like to watch him fight, he hasn’t been all that fun to watch. Fact: Dan only has that right hand and at 39 he probably has a couple for good years left at most. I would have loved to see him and Randy go at it and Nate but other than that I don’t see any really good match ups for Dan.

This move frees up alot of money for the UFC while decreasing revenue at the same time. I am curious to see the new talent that Dana signs next.

Strike force while coming up still has a lot of room when it comes to talent. Who is Fedor going to fight that would even be worth watching. The current Heavyweight champ is off Kickboxing and other than The Demolition Man there aren’t any heavy weights for Fedor to fight. Boring. I am glad that StrikeForce is free on CBS.

• ndizzle says:

Sherdog.com: Why did you pick Strikeforce over the UFC?
    Henderson: The decision was based on a number of things. It wasn’t just a financial thing. It was the fact that I felt I wasn’t getting the fight that I wanted in the UFC. That was a big part of that — that I wasn’t and that it got yanked away from me. I think I stepped up for the UFC a number of times and had earned that right again for a title fight. And the fact that publicity-wise, CBS offers quite a bit more than a pay-per-view and Spike TV.

Sherdog.com: In September, you sat down with UFC owners Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White in Las Vegas and confronted them about being passed over for the next middleweight title bout against Silva. How did they respond?
    Henderson: The fight got pulled from me and was offered to Vitor (Belfort). I met with them after Vitor fought Rich Franklin. I told them that it does irritate me. I said, ‘Why does Vitor get to jump the line when there’s me and (Nate) Marquardt here who can both fight for a title shot and Vitor’s never fought for the UFC at 185? He jumps the line, especially since I beat him.’ They acted surprised that I’d even fought him. They weren’t up on those details at the time. It jogged their memory, but either way, to put someone in there that I dominated not that long ago…

Sherdog.com: You’re the first top-ranked UFC fighter to leave that promotion and join Strikeforce’s ranks. What do you think this says about the current climate of the sport?
    Henderson: Obviously, I was fighting in Pride for a long time and I’ve never been one to really jump ship. Had I felt a little bit more, I don’t know… I was planning on finishing my career in the UFC. When I signed with the UFC, that’s what I was planning on doing. I think that whatever transpired or how they handled me just didn’t work out at present. Especially for me at this point in my career, it was definitely Strikeforce. I don’t know what that says about the climate of the UFC. I think that they need to really respect the fighters a little bit more.

Sherdog.com: At one point during renegotiations Dana White stated that you were trying to become the highest paid fighter in the UFC —
    Henderson: I don’t know what anyone else makes, but didn’t he make a comment after that a couple of weeks later that I was upset about what Tito (Ortiz) makes? I have no idea what Tito makes. So, if I’m trying to be the highest paid fighter, why would I be upset about what Tito makes? These are his own comments contradicting themselves. Either way, I don’t know what Tito makes and I didn’t really know where I was on the totem pole over there, but I felt like I wasn’t getting fair market value for myself.

Sherdog.com: How did the UFC’s banning of your clothing brand, Clinch Gear, from their events affect renegotiations?
    Henderson: Well, at least I’ll be able to have Clinch Gear on in the cage when I fight for Strikeforce. The banning didn’t really affect anything though. When the UFC called and said that we could no longer sponsor (other fighters), that we were banned from the UFC, I wasn’t mad at all. It was more funny to me than anything that they would do that. Dana has stated to me that it was nothing personal and that there were no hard feelings at all. If there were no hard feelings, why would they ban a clothing line? We already had a deal; we were paying for the right to sponsor guys just like every other sponsor was. For them to come back and say just because Dan hasn’t re-signed a deal yet, we’re banned.

Sherdog.com: Does that play into your comment earlier that they need to respect fighters more?
    Henderson: Absolutely. Things like that aren’t necessary and for them to do that in the middle of negotiations doesn’t make me feel respected. It’s more of a strong-arm tactic and a lot of people turn the other way when that happens. To me, it was just funny. I didn’t take it personally, but it just seemed a little contradictory to the ‘no hard feelings’ thing.

Sherdog.com: How did the Strikeforce negotiations play out in comparison to the UFC renegotiations? You were talking to both promotions at the same time.
    Yeah, I was to a point. I wasn’t going back and forth to them saying, ‘Hey, so and so is paying me this. Pay me more.’ I didn’t want to do that at all. I don’t think that’s the right way to do things, so basically I was just looking at the offers. I have to be honest, Strikeforce was a little slow in getting back to me on certain things, only because Scott Coker got sick for a couple of weeks and was a little hard to get a hold of. He didn’t want to pass the negotiations over to anyone else. Other than that, everything went great and Scott Coker was very respectful and excited the whole time. I was sincere with negotiating with them obviously because I signed, but I wasn’t just using them to get the UFC to pay me more. Dana was pretty cool throughout negotiations with the UFC. He was OK to deal with. We were pretty much just at a standstill. I thought I was worth more and they didn’t. It was nothing personal really.

Sherdog.com: The critics of this move might say you’re leaving the elite of the sport to go fight lesser competition. How would you respond to that?
    Henderson: It’s questionable. Where is (Gegard) Mousasi ranked in there? He might be the guy to beat Anderson Silva up. And obviously Fedor (Emelianenko) is unscathed and has proven that he is probably the top heavyweight in the world. Jake Shields has never fought in the UFC. I think that Strikeforce has a lot of great matchups for me. I’m in this sport not just for the money, but I love the challenge of it. Those three guys are great challenges for me and Strikeforce has quite a few guys that are really top at 185 and above. Their roster is growing rapidly with top guys, not just lower-level guys.

Sherdog.com: Why do you think every fighter wants to fight Fedor Emelianenko?
    Henderson: I don’t know. To me, he’s not the reason I signed with Strikeforce just to fight him — although that is interesting and appealing to me to be able to challenge myself against him. I don’t know who else wants to fight him, but I do know the fans like to see him fight. He’s very effective and likes to finish guys and does a very good job. I think him and I would make an interesting matchup.

Sherdog.com: Do you think you can beat Emelianenko?
    Henderson: I think I can beat anyone on any given day. It’s just a matter of making sure that everything is right with that day.

Sherdog.com: How do you look back on your UFC career?
    Henderson: I always enjoyed watching the UFC and had good experiences fighting there, so I have nothing bad to say about them. I just think that for me, at this point in my career, maybe it just wasn’t a good matchup for them and me. We were at a sticking point on certain things and maybe they think I don’t have too many years left, so why would they put a lot of stock in me. Who knows?

Sherdog.com: What are your goals now, having signed on for four fights with Strikeforce?
    Henderson: I’m planning on fighting more than four fights. I can tell you that. I couldn’t tell you what the future holds. It changes pretty quickly. Like I said, I thought I was going to end my career in the UFC and this came up and obviously I went in a different direction than I thought I was going to. I couldn’t comment on the future and who knows what’s going to happen with Strikeforce? I think that they have great opportunities and have the potential to bring a lot of new fans to the sport and I’m pretty much at the forefront of that. That’s appealing to me.

• TheZoomZoomKid says:

• Nick Havok says:

ndizzle: I don’t know what that says about the climate of the UFC. I think that they need to really respect the fighters a little bit more.

Damn right!

You tell ’em, Dan!

• ndizzle says:

TheZoomZoomKid: Is this really that good for Strikeforce? Hendo is a good signing, but he’s still a 39 year old who cannot beat the UFC champs. What if he just beats everybody? That’ll just prove that UFC has better fighters.Strikeforce is paying him more, so that’s at least 350K. Hopefully Strikeforce won’t bury themselves by buying fighters. People think Fedor is a good signing, but they lose half their business when he fights, and he is not that big of a draw.

can you show me where sf is paying him more at 350k can i get a souce or link

• ndizzle says:

can you show me a link or source where he is getting paid like 350k

plz dont go by what dana said cuz what business man uses the media about contracts,,i answer that a promoter who speaks bull

• matt says:

fetussandwich: Strikeforce – 2Dana White – 0

• Scott H. says:

Just google UFC 100 Salaries.

Henderson was $100,000 to show, $150,000 win bonus. He also won knockout of the night, which was $100,000.

So 350K is streching it a bit, that would have been his bigest UFC payday.

• Makington says:

Well you can’t count the ‘of the night’ awards as part of your base pay. There’s absolutely no guarantee you will get any of them. I could see Dan wanting something like 200K to show, with maybe another 100K as a win bonus. You also have to think a guy like Hendo would have sponsors out the wazoo, as well as his own company. I know he’s trying to make as much money as he can before he retires, but he can always make assloads being a trainer when he is done with fighting.

• Vogairian says:

Good for Strikeforce. Hate to see Hendo end up there since there’s all of two maybe three fights with guys in their stable that I care to see. That said, that’s all Hendo may have left.

• moosebaby02 says:

Nick Havok says:
    December 7, 2009 at 1:19 pm (Quote) moosebaby02: if …he gets exsposed for the one dimensional fighter that he is…

Ummm…did you just call Dan Henderson a one-dimensional fighter?

OMG…you did.

Care to elaborate on that?

sorry your right. i meant with all the tools he has always stick to one thing

• ndizzle says:

matt: I dont see this helping strikeforce out a whole lot. Dan is one of the best fighters out their but he is not known by the casual fan and he isnt a big ppv draw and that is what makes money. If you cant draw big ppv numbers then your not worth an excessive amount of money. Same thing with Fedor, Fedor has never drawn over 100,000 ppv buys. Henderson never more than 350,000. On the other hand the UFC has a roster full of ppv power houses. Lesnar, Liddell, Couture, GSP, Hughes, Penn, Griffin, and I could keep naming fighters who could draw better numbers than strikeforces two best fighters.

actually he is known by the casual fan because he went as a coach on tuf,and all caual fans watch that

• maddog says:

as crazy as it may sound, i would like hendo fight fedor. we would all buy that ppv.

• moosebaby02: Ummm…did you just call Dan Henderson a one-dimensional fighter?

all Dan has is a very solid over hand right and really top level wrestling. Have you ever watched his fights lol. I am not saying that Dan isn’t a good fighter or a tough dude but he is not a well rounded mma fighter. With that said I wish Dan could have fought a couple more times in the UFC. But what ever. I won’t miss that much.

• ndizzle says:

ufc isnt phased by this,sf is excited bout this,so evrything is cool.

• neijia says:

FightFan313:
    all Dan has is a very solid over hand right and really top level wrestling.Have you ever watched his fights lol.I am not saying that Dan isn’t a good fighter or a tough dude but he is not a well rounded mma fighter.With that said I wish Dan could have fought a couple more times in the UFC.But what ever.I won’t miss that much.

Big fan of Hendo. However… Olympic caliber wrestler but he pretty much likes to box. Mousasi is a far better striker (amateur boxing champ in Holland) so that gameplan is not a good idea. Granted, Sokoudjou and Bisping weren’t exactly huge wins for either of these guys but Hendo-Mousasi will be great. My money would be on Mousasi. Maybe we’ll see some wrestling/gnp from Hendo but Mousasi does have a judo background and frigging trains with Fedor. I just don’t see Hendo pulling off that win by standing KO, GNP, or sub. Top of the LHW world is unfortunately too tough for him now. He is also 39 years old. Hendo should stick to 185. I see him beating Jake Shields. That paves the way for Cung Le to fight Henderson and most likely win back the belt. Let’s go Strikeforce. Keep it up.

• Angry Mike says:

Henderson’s value to Strikeforce is greater than his value to UFC. Strikeforce is still establishing itself–and doing a good job of it, so far–and a fighter with a big name like Henderson helps. UFC is well established already and doesn’t need to build its brand in the same fashion as Strikeforce. So good for Henderson if he earns more at Strikeforce, and UFC’s unwillingness to pay as much isn’t disrespect, necessarily. I think it’s great that Henderson and other fighters have Strikeforce as an option. Competition between the orgs. is good for the fighters, the sport and the fans.