Roy Nelson knocks out Brendan Schaub to become The Ultimate Fighter

Roy NelsonRoy “Big Country” Nelson and his moon-sized belly earned his golden ticket into the UFC for some time to come with a brutal first round knockout over the previously undefeated Brendan Schaub this evening in the final bout of this season’s edition of “The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights“.

Roy and Brendan threw down for the crown during “The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale” that took place from The Pearl at the Palms Casino Resort in Las vegas.

Nelson scored a takedown early on but to the surprise of many Schaub managed to get back to his feet in no time where the Colorado native began to pull away with sharp jabs and crisp striking, just before “Big Country” leveled the playing field and Schaub all at once with a massive right hand that left Schaub in a heap and Roy with the title of TUF 10 Champion.

Nelson bested fellow heavyweights Kimbo Slice, Justin Wren, and James McSweeney, along with Schaub to be crowned the tournament champion.

• BigDave says:

Schaub incase you are just wakeing up. The fights over you won!………..no just kidding you got KTFO.

Whoppers all around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• moosebaby02 says:

lmao. that punch spun him right around.
    congrats fat guy.
    oh the entrance song was great as well.

• Makington says:

I thought Brendan was doing great until he got one-punched. That punch actually came out of nowhere. I made the mistake of blinking and had to wait for the replay. Did anyone see how Brendan’s jaw was locked in a kind of weird sneer after he got KO’d? It was pretty funny.

Once again Dana had to eat the hell out of his words, but he;s been doing it all season.

• danw84 says:

The guy who had no business even having to prove himself in TUF won it fairly easily. Shocked?

Sorry he’s fat. I know it’s hard for people to accept a fat guy is good at something, but he is. Roy should have been brought straight into the UFC.

• Rich S. says:

Great fight from both guys, and a huuuuge victory for Nelson..

I honestly believe this is best for both fighters..

Dana seemed to have a genuine dislike for Roy, so had Schaub won, we probably wouldn’t have seen Roy again.. But, now Roy has a contract, and Schaub has an extremely bright future in the UFC HW division so we’ll still be seeing him..

• David Andrest says:

Rich S.: Great fight from both guys, and a huuuuge victory for Nelson..I had Schaub winning just because he had all that time to transform into a monster.. and I knew Roy would still be the same fighter..I honestly believe this is best for both fighters..

and Schaub has learned what many UFC superstars and champions already know. Don’t mess with Big Country. He’ll run a clinic on you.

• Makington says:

It really knocks home how you can’t blink very much in MMA. Schaub had no trouble finding Roy’s chin all night with his jab, got a little too comfortable throwing big shots, and a vet like Roy capitalized. I’m glad Roy won because I don’t think we’d be seeing him in the UFC otherwise, and we’ll still be watching Brendan fight again soon.

AND only one week til the next event. Much better than the usual month wait.

• Pajamashark says:

Roy you got a fan for life coming out to that song! LMAO

I’d motorboat his belly anytime!

• Wow. Roy looked good. He was quick, patient and smart. Nice Job Roy. You made a believer out of me.

Talk about looking good. . .Schaub has a bright future. If he can take a page from Cain Velasquez’s book then Shaub..you will be one bad ass dude.

• Pajamashark: Roy you got a fan for life coming out to that song! LMAOOh and the Skeletor like frozen smile on Dana White’s face when he handed you your trophy was like icing on a Whopper shaped cake.Never seen a better UFC debut: Weird Al Yankovic song, Roy throws his weight around a bit, then KO’s a very talented kid in the first round, hops the fence and gives the crowd belly rubs, talks about Burger King in his acceptance speech after checking the mat to make sure they are a sponsor, calls himself “a big fat guy”, and accepts six figures from Dana while feeding him a heaping plate of crow.I’d motorboat his belly anytime!

Took the words stright outta my mouth! HELL YEAH FAT GUYS RULE!!!

• Mightymark says:

• David Andrest says:

Mightymark: Why is this a surprise to anyone ? The biggest surprise is Roy Nelson being on TUF in the first place!

QFT!

• JalenTigh says:

No shock here, Nelson had a lot more experience then anyone else on the show. I do hope to see Shaub back though, he was one of the very few fighters on the show who impressed me given the general lack of experience among the cast, I really do think he will get alot better with time, especially in Jackson’s gym.

As for all the people saying Roy shouldn’t have been on the show in the first place and should have gotten a regular deal with the UFC… have you looked at his record?The biggest name he managed to beat is Brad Imes… and he had not won a fight since the IFL shut down… No way was he deserving of a contract…

I honestly do not think he will do anything in the UFC other the fulfill the contract and be gone, I do not see very many matchup’s in the HW division he can win.

• hindsightufuk says:

i love that bruce buffer introduced big roy as a kung fu fighter, fucking brilliant!

• Angry Mike says:

The best thing about Roy’s tenure on TUF was his “What, me worry?” attitude. He seemed like he was having the tim of his life on a cruise or at a luxury resort. No evidence of strain or stress whatsoever. That imperturbable attitiude makes him the Redneck Fedor, imo, or Larry the Cable Guy with a black belt.

• elsicilian says:

I have to say I felt a little sorry for Roy Nelson. After putting up with Dana’s palpable contempt all season (and his coach/team actively supporting his opponent), he put on a great performance and won the whole thing. Still, he received only a grudging handshake from the boss, and left the ring completely alone (with only his poor wife in tow) desperately looking for somebody to congratulate him.

He’s made it pretty clear he’s a lone-wolf type of guy, and his personality is somewhat alienating (he seems like he’s *trying* to joke around, but his comic timing is always a little off and peppered with a hint of prick-ish-ness, so it never comes across as totally funny or endearing). Still, you’d think the guy could generate a lot of redneck appeal for the UFC, with his “mainstream” physique and his willingness to poke fun at himself.

Maybe he’s a royal ass behind closed doors, but I never got that impression from TUF 10. This whole business seems to cast him as the Ultimate Underdog, and I am predicting a LOT of success for Nelson, so long as he can remain competitive in the division.

• xtreme_machine says:

Roy Nelson vs Paul Buntello

• Unabomberman says:

@elsicilian:

The thing with Nelson that many don’t find funny is that many look at him as if he is overcompensating with the whole “I’m just the fat guy” routine, as if he tried too hard. But therein lies the argument as if there is something he should compensate for. To me the dude looks like he just doesn’t care. Nelson’s a grown ass man, and by now, his character is well defined as it is; his not having a big entourage may even be a blessing in disguise. If you see his interviews after the match, he just seems like himself and not like he is forcing anything. He also seems damn well pleased for a guy that does his whole training “in house,” whatever that means.

• elsicilian says:

Unabomberman: I think he knows by now that his character has not made him endearing to great many people, but on the other hand, there is a whole great many people who just became fans of his. It’s hard to say he was expecting people just to congratulate him or anything like that.

You’re absolutely right … as I tried to articulate in my previous post, he brings a lot of that isolation on himself, and he seems quite comfortable in his skin and in that role. But I wonder how much of that is simply accepting his strengths and completely ignoring his corresponding weaknesses (a trend that is reflected in his training regimen as well as his interpersonal behavior).

All I am saying is that he cut a lonely sort of figure, wandering out of the octagon with only his wife, looking all around and pausing to chat with any random person who reached out to him while the credits rolled. My heart went out to him a little bit in that moment, as it seemed like maybe – in his heart of hearts – he really did yearn to be embraced, as anybody would. It was a very humanizing moment, and it made me a Roy Nelson fan.

• Dufresne says:

I was a fan of Big Country coming into this season purely because of how he performed in the IFL, but after this season and especially the finale, I am a much bigger fan. I love that he seems like a down to earth guy. His attitude reminds me a lot of several of my closest friends, they aren’t the kind to go out to huge parties and raise hell, but get them around a bonfire with a few cold ones and they’re perfectly happy. I like that simplistic nature and will continue to follow Roy’s career for quite a while.

• Unabomberman says:

@elsicilian:

• elsicilian says:

• gueda says:

i’m very happy for nelson and he might show the weak heavy weight divison of the ufc.dana must be very happy too. ..lollll

• Unabomberman says:

elsicilian: I guess you are right … he’s probably just an aloof prick, and I shouldn’t waste any time feeling sympathy for him, or the fact that nobody associated with the UFC seemed to really appreciate his effort and/or his hard-fought victory.

Uh, what? I think you are taking my comment in the wrong context.

Just calm down.

• gueda says:

we all see dana white as is best in this show. he like to be the center of the univers.that’s very dangerous. he might killed that growing new sport by trying to be biger the sports itself. i feel more sorry for dana than for nelson who know who he is and can laught about it. i have much more respect for nelson than for dana white.he take too much place and seem to like a lot of fighter who are as jerk as he is.

• elsicilian says:

Unabomberman: Uh, what? I think you are taking my comment in the wrong context.

Just calm down.

You’re right again (of course). I should take a few deep breaths and relax, before I do something really crazy, like writing in capital letters, using profanity or employing exclamation points or something …

But seriously, there is a big difference between being embraced by some fans and being appreciated by your employer, respected by your peers, and/or congratulated by your erstwhile coach and teammates after the greatest victory of your career. His aloof exterior notwithstanding, Roy Nelson probably wants those things as much as anyone. His disappointment at being blown off by the entire organization at the fight’s conclusion was pretty obvious, and epitomized by the slightly sad scene of him skulking away from the octagon alone, like he was an usher at the arena or something.

• Unabomberman says:

elsicilian:
    You’re right again (of course).I should take a few deep breaths and relax, before I do something really crazy, like writing in capital letters, using profanity or employing exclamation points or something …But seriously, there is a big difference between being embraced by some fans and being appreciated by your employer, respected by your peers, and/or congratulated by your erstwhile coach and teammates after the greatest victory of your career.His aloof exterior notwithstanding, Roy Nelson probably wants those things as much as anyone.His disappointment at being blown off by the entire organization at the fight’s conclusion was pretty obvious, and epitomized by the slightly sad scene of him skulking away from the octagon alone, like he was an usher at the arena or something.That brief glimpse beneath his otherwise aloof exterior was an endearing moment, and your repeated efforts to attenuate its authenticity seem a bit misguided, since it really made me empathize with a guy who too often presents himself as a fundamentally unsympathetic character.

Look, I’m not trying to atenuate anything. All I’m doing is arguing for some reasonable doubt on the whole ‘him looking sad’ part. By any means, you could be right and I could be wrong; it’s just that to me he didn’t look all that down on his luck. White complimented him, and when asked Nelson said Dana didn’t say anything negative to him afterwards, and he hugged the guys in his corner and the end, and all.

In any way, I’m not trying to invalidate anything you may have felt when watching that moment take place (Roy walking alone), and if it comes that way then what can I say? Only that It’s not my intent and that I mean no offense, and that’s it. Maybe it’s because I don’t find Nelson that unsympathetic a character in the first place (I kind of like the guy and his laconic style of doing stuff), but to each their own.

• king mah mah says:

*singing* And my shadow weighs forty two pounds i’ma tell you once again WHO’S FAT! LOL

• ndizzle says:

Unabomberman: @elsicilian:We have to remember that Roy himself is a trainer/teacher himself, so I can totally understand how he would not play nice either with either Rashed, the other coaches, or even his teammates.But I was glad people did embrace him in the end. Just surf the internet: he’s Kung Fu panda, now. As for his yearning, it was completely logical after such hard work, and as he said himself “Not everybody knows who Roy Nelson is,” so it was good to have a decent closing to this personal campaign of his to introduce himself to more fans; going off accompained by his wife, having no entourage, being pleased with having a little chat with any random person that approached, and being content with all that–that hardly speaks being alone to me. Anyways, I became a Roy Nelson fan when he made Dana White angry, but that’s just me.

hey i am a san francisco giants fan and there only one panda pablo sandavol

• elsicilian says:

Unabomberman: Look, I’m not trying to atenuate anything. All I’m doing is arguing for some reasonable doubt on the whole ‘him looking sad’ part.

Fair enough … none of us really *knows* what was going through Roy’s mind after the fight last night. In any case, he was given pretty short shrift by everyone associated with the UFC, both at the finale and throughout his tenure as a member of Team Rashad during the show. That’s got to hurt a little bit, and the manner in which he left the octagon after winning his TUF crown was at least a succinct metaphor for the entire experience (which makes him a much more sympathetic character, in my opinion).

That was the only point I was ever really trying to make; since don’t think you’re disputing that basic point (and I am certainly not trying to offend you either), I will gladly agree to respectfully disagree on anything/everything else.

• submit662266 says:

Wow!! I thought I would have read, at least one time:

“Bruce Buffer: Introducing . . . season 11 Ultimate Fighter winner . . . Roy “Faaat Bastard” Nelson!!!”

I once heard “you gotta love what you got.” Roy makes it work. Really, if we think about it, he has done what NO other fighter or person has EVER done: He made Dana White shut the f _ _ _ up!!!! I love it!!

I was extremely impressed with his chin, his patience, his right hand. It really took me a while, but I just bought my ticket for the Roy Nelson bandwagon.

• fetussandwich says:

elsicilian:

do you write movies for Lifetime?

• Unabomberman says:

fetussandwich:
    do you write movies for Lifetime?

He probably suffers from the disease TMR, or Too Much Reading; and we all know *nobody* should read too much…ever. Too many *big* words clot people’s brains…sorry, I didn’t mean to use the word ‘clot.’

Seriously, he’s just adding sentences together in a form that makes sense. Dude just *writes.*

• elkymbo says:

Let’s all rub Roy’s belly for good luck and look forward to next week’s edition of our favorite source for violence, the UFC. Unless of course you prefer Dream, the K1 or Strikeforce…..or the M1 challenge.

• elsicilian says:

fetussandwich:
    do you write movies for Lifetime?

How did you guess? Currently I’m doing field work on a biopic about an institutionalized autistic patient who finds love and acceptance on the internet … it’s kind of like “Rain Man” meets “You’ve Got Mail!”

Let me know if you have time to chat offline …

• Makington says:

Does anyone honestly speak like that in real life? I bet we know who the one person was who ‘thumbs down’ed Umabomberman’s comment.

Everything makes more sense and sounds much more personable if you type it how you would say it. Sounds like a good movie though.

• elsicilian says:

Makington: He’s the one who is on the internet too much, and doesn’t realize that everything he types sounds condescending to people. We all know the type. The arrogant, internet warriors who hide in the library during recess playing pokemon cards with his doll. Big words do *not* impress people on the internet, it just makes it sounded like you try too hard.

Actually, I have enjoyed Unabomerman’s comments and given him thumbs-up pretty much universally (it sounded like he was kind of defending me in that last post). If you are making reasonable points, and not acting like a totally d-bag, I’ll support you all day long, whether or not you are agreeing with me.

Regardless, as I have emphasized to you (Makington) before, I am not going to apologize for using precise words to say exactly what I mean. Your preoccupation with the shortcomings of your own vocabulary reminds me a little of Nelson’s unnatural obsession with his gut … you’re worrying about it *way* more than anybody else, and trying *way* too hard to overcompensate. Relax!

Last but not least, I’ll accept cliched the insults in the manner in which they were most likely delivered (ie. without a lot of thought or consideration), but I do hope you are aware of the irony in criticizing somebody for spending too much time writing on the internet, written in a message on the internet. Maybe that’s expecting too much …

• fetussandwich says:

elsicilian:
    How did you guess?Currently I’m doing field work on a biopic about an institutionalized autistic patient who finds love and acceptance on the internet … it’s kind of like “Rain Man” meets “You’ve Got Mail!”Let me know if you have time to chat offline …

A/s/l? I have endless time to chat offline to you. It would make me feel great about myself, like shopping at K-Mart does. Let’s make a chat room so we can both copy and paste our sentences into Word and find the next best substitute over 10 long letters to impress each other.

I will help you fund that movie idea, though.

• Nick Havok says:

What was that, Dana? Roy is too fat for the UFC? Huh, I can’t hear you…not an MMA fighter, what?

Oh…he’s not impressing you? Huh, speak up, boy…talk like a man.

…yeah, didn’t think you had anything to say, Dana.

Maybe you can tell me how those words taste.

Haha.

Thanks, Roy. Thanks for making Dana look foolish…I also liked how you kept turning your back on him everytime he tried to congratulate you too. Like you didn’t give a crap what he was saying.

That was funny as well. :)

• Guthookd says:

I agree with whoever said Roy should have went straight to the UFC. He’s a baller. If they took Rothwell straight in they could have taken Roy straight in as well.

That said….great fight. Thought for sure it would end on the ground, but Roy pulled it out. Way to go big Roy. Now start working out god damn it.

• elsicilian says:

fetussandwich: Fighters are paid to entertain us. I’m not looking at them cockeyed if they’re in a poetic walk or stance after punching bloodied people in the face—kind of takes the romanticism out of it. If you’re looking at MMA fighters to reaffirm your faith in humanity and to heal your glaring underlying psyche issues, you may want to look into doing more than posting on an internet forum as therapy. Don’t confuse rambling with a thesaurus as intelligence. It’s the intellectual equivalent of a child with a loaded gun. Fighters are paid to entertain us. I’m not looking at them cockeyed if they’re in a poetic walk or stance after punching bloodied people in the face—kind of takes the romanticism out of it.

Again, I am not interested in dumbing-down my vocabulary for this audience, although it sounds like a few of you might prefer that. If you need a dictionary to understand what I am saying, that’s your problem. I’ve never once criticized *anybody* here for spelling, grammar, punctuation and/or word choice, so please bear in mind that this absurd preoccupation with form over content is yours alone.

Having said that, there is certainly a dramatic narrative component to fighting … that’s why characters like Lesar, Kimbo, Ortiz, Forrest, et. al. can break PPV records, while sublime fighters like Anderson SIlva can barely headline a show. If you just prefer the blood and guts (irrespective of the story) that’s your business, but don’t pretend it’s not a large part of the package for MMA fans in general.

• moosebaby02 says:

hey i like this elsicilian guy. he make sense to me

• Dufresne says:

Seriously.

This is an MMA discussion forum, not some electronic ego stroking station. One of you be the bigger man and just let it die.

• moosebaby02 says:

agreed Dufresne
    but its still fun to read

• elsicilian says:

Dufresne: Ok, I’m usually all for well thought out and articulated arguments, but can you folks just leave it alone?

I couldn’t agree more. Unfortunately it’s like the Godfather all over again: just when I think I am out, they pull me back in!