Trading Punches: TUF 10 Finale Preview & Predictions

Houston AlexanderCome along as 5 Oz.‘ managing editor Cory Brady and   David Andrest as they once again verbally duke it out in this Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale edition of Trading Punches.

The event is set forDecember 5 from The Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada, and will be broadcast on Spike TV.

Headlining the card will be a 205 pound tussle between Matt Hamill and John Jones , with other match-ups including  Kimbo Slice vs. Houston Alexander, Roy Nelson vs. Brendan Schaub will fight to determine the winner of Season 10 of the popular reality show.

As always, feel free to agree or disagree with us, and put your money where your mouth is and post your own set of picks for public scrutiny in the comment section below.

Roy Nelson vs. Brendan Schaub (“TUF 10” tournament final)

David Andrest: I’m going to say the same thing today and I said months ago: Roy Nelson will win TUF 10.  Like any of the TUF 10 cast that actually looked promising, Schaub gets beat by a veteran fighter with experience.  Call him a stud all you want, and he very well might be a solid blue chip prospect, he will not get by Nelson.

Winner:  Roy Nelson via submission

Cory Brady: While I entered this season of The Ultimate Fighter with a firm conviction that “Big Country Breakfast” would engulf the competition with his moon-sized belly, having had the opportunity to watch three separate performances from himself and Schaub has served to sway my better judgment. I don’t feel like Nelson will be able to get away with some of the stuff he got away with against some of the lesser fighters he faced during his stint on the show; Specifically the crucifix position. I feel like Brendan’s athleticism and explosiveness will be the ultimate difference in this one. Roy may be able to score a takedown or two, but when it’s all said and done I feel like Schaub will find an opportunity to tee off with a hard right hand that will spell the beginning of the end for Nelson.

Winner: Brendan Schaub via TKO

Matt Hamill vs. Jon Jones

David Andrest: There are a few rules I live by when picking fights.  Near the top of the list is NEVER pick an up and coming striker over a top level experienced wrestler.  Jones can cause Hamill problems with his style, this is true, but I have yet to see Jones handle someone with Hamill’s wrestling pedigree .  Hamill is a big guy and has the tools to take anyone down, and hold most people there.  That is how I see this fight unfolding.

Winner:  Hamill via decision

Cory Brady: We saw what happens when Hamill butts heads with a solid striker with decent takedown defense in The Hammer’s previous loss to Rich Franklin, and I feel like we’re going to see the same thing here. Hamill’s an amazing wrestler at the core, but in my opinion he’s not a top of the food chain wrestler in mixed martial arts. His striking served him well against fellow wrestlers such as Andy Reese and Mark Munoz but it will fail him in this one at some point.

Winner: Jon Jones via TKO

Houston Alexander vs. Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson

David Andrest: Well well well, what do we have here?   Kimbo vs. Houston?? Who would have guessed that one?   Ok enough props to Brady and his crystal ball.   Slice has gone on record talking about his struggles cutting weight.  He has gone as far as to say he hasn’t asked for help at  ATT where he has been reported to have trained for this fight.  Denies  knowing  anything about cutting water weight.  Hmmm.  One of two things is going on here.  Kimbo is sandbagging, trying to play games with his opponent. It’s not possible to be around ATT and not learn about weight cutting by accident.  Or of course the hype has continued and Slice has not been as dedicated to his training as we have all been led to believe.  In either case, Alexander will beat Slice regardless of condition.  It will look much like the Jardine fight without the talent.

Winner:  Houston Alexander  via knockout

Cory Brady: While there’s no question in my mind that Houston could easily bang Kimbo out on the feet, something tells me that won’t be the big Nebraska native’s gameplan in this one. Kimbo has one chance to win this fight, so why give it to him? No, I see Alexander taking Kimbo to the mat within the initial thirty seconds if he doesn’t wobble him with the first jab he throws. From there I see Houston finishing the fight off via good old fashioned ground and pound.

Winner: Houston Alexander via knockout

Frankie Edgar vs. Matt Veach

David Andrest: Frankie Edgar wins this fight. I don’t understand the matchmaking here, unless Joe Silva knows something we don’t.

Winner: Frankie Edgar  by decision

Cory Brady: With an undefeated record of 11-0 and only one of his fights making it to the judges scorecards, Veach is far from a pushover going into this fight with the highly regarded Edgar. With that being said, Veach has never faced anyone near the caliber of Frankie at he should come up short in all of the areas he is good at; particularly in the wrestling department.

Winner: Frankie Edgar via decision

Marcus Jones vs. Matt Mitrione

David Andrest: If I’ve learned anything from The Ultimate Fighter it’s forget what you have seen.  Especially this year when we watched very “raw”  fighters compete.  I expect  both Jones and Mitrione to look like much different fighters than we watched on the television show.  When you are 6’5′ cut to 265lbs ,  training partners to work with are hard to come by, guys you can roll with and spar with everyday than you can hit and not kill by sheer size alone are in shorter supply.  A great benefit of the show is many guys go from unknown, to well enough known and networked to find what they need to prepare for their first real test in the Octagon.  Jones is the better athlete, clearly better on the floor, and I expect him to have what it will take to put this on the ground and take and arm.

Winner:  Marcus Jones  via submission (armbar)

Cory Brady: In my opinion, while I feel like this fight is definitely Jones’ fight to lose; if it ends standing it’s Matt’s, and if it goes to the floor it’s all Marcus. While Mitrione is raw, Jones similarity to a pawing zombie on the feet leaves Mitrione with a definite punchers chance. While Jones may have grown in the striking department since the show’s conclusion, it won’t be enough to trade with Matt. On the other side of that coin, the same can be said for Mitrione, and it will go to the ground at some point. It’s not going to be pretty once it goes there.

Winner: Marcus Jones via rear-naked choke, rise and shine GNP, and broken arm

James McSweeney vs. Darrill Schoonover

David Andrest: McSweeney comes into this fight with a professional record of 3-4.   Yep  I said it.  3-4.  The big scary kickboxer that Kimbo was afraid of is a 3-4 MMA fighter.   Schoonover  is 10-0  as a pro.  Well rounded , and just a better fighter.  Will he be distracted by his recent call back to the military?  That is really the only question I have.

Winner:  Darrill Schoonover  via submission

Cory Brady: Jones beat Schoonover with size. Something McSweeney definitely will not be able to do. This fight will end how most of McSweeney’s prior defeats have: On the canvas. Darrill will drag James to the mat early and finish it via ground and pound relatively early. Size matters baby.

Winner: Darrill Schoonover via TKO

Jon Madsen vs. Justin Wren

David Andrest: This should be a fun fight.  Hope we have a chance to see it.  I’m taking Wren.

Winner:  Justin Wren  via TKO

Cory Brady: This fight comes down to one thing really: Will Wren be able to stop Madsen’s takedowns. If the answer is yes, Wren scores the TKO. If not, Madsen should be able to manage a nice boring decision on the ground. I feel like Wren’s wrestling experience will keep this fight upright long enough for the first scenario to unfold. Justin showed a lot of potential during the show and I expect for him to show the belongs in the UFC this evening in a major way.

Winner: Justin Wren via TKO

Brian Stann vs. Rodney Wallace

David Andrest: The desolving of the light heavyweight division of the WEC  took Brian Stann from the headliner to the undercard.  But honestly  there is no way I”m picking against “Sho Nuff the Master” at 9-0.  I have seen Wallace in person, and he is the real deal.  Brian Stann had success in the WEC and hit some hard times upon entering the UFC.  A recent win over Steve Cantwell in their third match up should have Stann coming in  confident.

Winner:  Rodney Wallace  via  knockout

Cory Brady: Mr. Andrest, every time out one of your predictions shocks me, and this is the one this time around, no doubt about it. It’s not the winner I have a problem with, but the method of victory. In Rodney’s nine previous bouts as a professional, he’s only finished a single fight with strikes, and it was over some cat named Carlos Zevallos….. exactly. There’s no way Wallace drops the heavy handed Stann tonight. No, in my opinion Wallace has a chance to win this fight, but it’s going to be by decision like six of his previous nine. But it’s not going to happen.

Winner: Brian Stann via TKO

Dennis Hallman vs. John Howard

David Andrest: Superman  vs. Doomsday  ???  Are you kidding me?   This could be a hell of a fight.  I’m going to pick the villain in this one, as I think Howard’s stock is on the rise.

Winner:  John Howard  via Decision

Cory Brady: Tough fight to call due due to the fact that neither fighter has been tested against top notch competition in the recent past. Hallman is a submission fiend, and while Howard holds more submission victories than anything else, he’s not going to be tapping anyone out this evening. If Howard wins this fight it will be by decision, and if Hallman pulls it out it’s going to be an armbar.

Winner: Dennis Hallman via submission

Mark Bocek vs. Joe Brammer

David Andrest: Bocek vs. Brammer is a fight Bocek needs to win. He has shown he’s a tough guy, but a step up in competition is in order if he can get by the undefeated Brammer. Brammer is making his debut with the UFC. I’ll go with experience.

Winner: Bocek via decision

Cory Brady: Huge step up in competition for Brammer in this one. This is the definition of a sink or swim fight for the undefeated “South Side Strangler”. Both guys are known for their submission ability, but I don’t think Joe will be “strangling” anyone tonight. If Brammer pulls it out, he’s for real, but based on previous accomplishments and experience there’s no way I’m not siding with the Octagon tested Bocek who’s had a knack for tapping out men he shouldn’t in the past.

Winner: Mark Bocek via submission (Bocek will strangle the strangler)

• JollyDV says:

Brendan Schaub via TKO
    Jon Jones via TKO
    Houston Alexander via KO
    Frankie Edgar via decision
    Darrill Schoonover via decision
    Justin Wren via TKO
    Rodney Wallace via Decision
    John Howard via Decision
    Mark Bocek via Submission

• edub says:

First off big ups to Schoonover. I didnt know he was army, but getting recalled is a shitty thing. I got recalled two days ago also.

Roy Nelson via decision: I know Schaub has got some power, but Roy can take a punch. However I dont see Roy finishing him either.
    Jon Jones via tko: Same argument as Cory. His takedown defense was very impressive against O’brien. Im rooting for Hamil though.
    Kimbo via tko: Im rooting for Houston here, but I think you guys are off on this pick. Kimbo looked shredded and very pissed off at the weigh ins. Now I know that shouldnt be a reason to pick a guy, but it’s what swayed my decision.
    Marcus Jones by sub: The word out there is Marcus learned how to strike. I think he hurts Matt on the feet then finishes him on the ground with either gnp or an armbar.
    Schoonover via gnp: I think he might get hurt on the feet, but he’ll weather the storm and finish him on the ground.
    Wren via tko: Madsen might get a few takedowns but he’ll tire near the end of the second. Thats when Wren will capitalize.
    Rodney Wallace via sub: I called it months ago when I heard about this fight. He’ll take him down and tie him in knots.
    Howard via dec: Doomsday is gonna beat hallman and turn the UFC bacn in to a “World without Superman”.
    Bocek by sub or dec: Bocek is sick on the ground. Brammer is good. Sick is better than good.

OH and Frankie edgar by whatever he wants

• Big Country Via TKO or Submission.

Hammil By TKO..Make all the comparisons to Rich Franklin you want…Bones is UNTESTED. and if he thinks he can stop the Hammil take down he’s severly mistaken.

Frankie Edgar Via decision: This fight is gonna be awesome but Frankie is on a roll

Big Baby by execution: Meathead didnt impress me at all. period. and big baby is f’ckn scary

Wren Vs. Madsen: Tough call one of the few fights I havent thought about.

Schonoover by tko or submission: GO TITTIES!!!! I just like his attitude and he did an ok job of keepin Marcus Jones from doin tooo much till taking that right to the jaw.

Doomsday by Decision: Another awesome fight between an up and comer and a WILEY vet. great fight

Stann Via KO: His last performance wasnt impressive but a rubber match is somethin you dont take a risk on. He hasnt changed.

Bocek by sub: Just dont know enough about Brammer to take him.

• Angry Mike says:

Man, I love free MMA. This card should be real fun. Some of these fights might be a little sloppy/ugly, but some days you’re in the mood for a cheeseburger rather than a filet.

@edub: The last thing I want to do is call attention to myself when I say this, so believe I’m sincere as I thank you for your service. If they send you in country, stay small.

• Rich S. says:

1. Brendan Schaub via TKO r2.
    2. Matt Hamill via Unanimous Decision.
    3. Houston Alexander via [T]KO r1.
    4. Frankie Edgar via TKO r3.
    5. “The Darkness” via Choke r1.
    6. Darrill Schoonover via Unanimous Decision.
    7. Justin Wren via TKO r2.
    8. Rodney Wallace via TKO r2
    9. John Howard via Unanimous Decision.
    10. Joe Brammer via TKO r3.

1. Well, originally, this was an easy pick for me.. I was going to pick Roy Nelson, simply because everything leads to him being the better fighter.. But, I’ve changed my mind. You see, Roy is going to come as the same fighter he’s always been.. He fought the same fight every time on the show, and he’s going to do it again here.. Schaub, on the other hand, has most definitely improved vastly from the show, and KNOWS that he’s got a tough fight ahead of him.. I think he’s going to fight a very smart fight and catch Roy in the 2nd round..

2. I also had a different thought originally here as well.. My first thought when I heard Bones vs. Hamill was taking place was that Bones was going to destroy this guy. Bones is by far the faster fighter. He has the better striking and Jiu Jitsu. BUT, Hamill surprises me every time. I always pick against Hamill and I always end up regretting it. So, I’m not going to this time. Hamill is very strong and he may just use that strength to throw Bones off his game..

3. Believe it or not, this fight was originally a toss-up for me.. I couldn’t pick a winner.. Houston technically has the better striking, but his chin is spotty. Kimbo has heavy hands, but his chin is kind of spotty too. Now, I know the winner. Apparently this weight cut was a very hard cut for Kimbo, and it’s one he’s never had to make.. I have no idea how that’s going to affect his game.. Add in the fact that Houston is ALREADY a better fighter, and you have a devastating 1st round KO..

4. Edgar/Veach is going to be a boxing match, and it’s a boxing match that Veach can’t win.

• Kamakosmo says:

Very excited about tonights fights. Marcus Jones is an F’n beast and I hope he makes it into the UFC, I see him as one of the cast that will actually learn and get better. At one time I liked and rooted for Kimbo. Now? While I still may think he’s a nice guy, I just can’t look past all of the “I wanna throw down” talk, then backs down from a potential fight to the finals. Every episode all we heard is how much he wants to bang, then cries knee…..whatever. Either way, Houston destroy’s Kimbo. And while the odds are against Schaub, I hope he takes it…..to me, he offers more of a challenge to others in the HW Div in the future.

To Schoonover, edub, and all others serving our Military stateside and overseas. God bless and good luck.

• BigDave says:

1.Nelson vs. Schaub

This fight is an easy call for me. Big Country is a better striker, better on the ground, and has far more experience. Roy should be able to walk through Schaubs punches, take him down and tap him out.

Nelson by TKO rd2

2. Hamill vs. Jones

If Hamill wins this fight you may need to wake me up when its over because the only way i got Hamill wining is a boring lay and prey decision. Bones is a dynamic fighter that is just plain fun to watch, with his slick style and explosiveness. I think Jones will be able to stuff Hamills takedowns and be able to beat him to the punch everytime.

Jones unanimous decision

3. Alexander vs. Slice

Ok I’m not going to rant here so I will just keep it short ans sweet. Alexander wins this fight with ease. he will take slice down and gnp him inside 1 minute.

Alexander by TKO rd 1

4. Edgar vs Veach

I see this going pretty much the way Cory and David do other then the manner of win.

Edgar by sub rd 2

5.Jones vs. Mitrione

I’m going to go against the grain here a bit. I like both fighters but I think I have to give the edge to Mitrione because he is better on the feet and I’m not sure if the slower Jones will be able to get the takedown or keep him down. Jones I fell will also gas quickly leaving the door open for mitrione to land a few shots to put Marcus down then gnp.

Mitrione by TKO late rd 2

6. McSweeney vs. Schoonover

Schoonover is just the superior fighter and as such I feel will win this fight on the ground in the first round.

Schoonover by TKO or SUB rd 1

7. Madsen vs. Wren

This fight could be another snoozefest if Wren isn’t able to keep Madsen from taking him down. but i see Wren being more well rounded and as such should be able to stuff the early takedowns attempts on way to a win.

Wren by TKO rd 2

8. Stann vs. Wallace

First Mr. Andrest the only one that will be put to sleep in this fight is Wallace. Stann is a heavy handed mofo and I only see one thing happening here and that is Wallace waking up stareing at the lights.

Stann by KO rd 1

9. Hallman vs. Howard

Am I missing something here? Howard has about as much chance winning this fight as i do of banging Megan Fox. Hallman wins this fight in the first round. Don’t forget this is a dude that hold 2 wins over Matt Hughes.

Hallman by Sub rd 1

10. Bocek vs Brammer

If Bocek losses here he is out off the UFC. Good news is he isn’t loseing this fight. I’ve not seen Brammer fight but a quick look at his record shows he has some skill on the ground, but he is going against a guy with 2 advantages, Bocek has fought better caliber fighters and, Mark Bocek is Canadian which is reason enough to pick him in my books. 😉

Bocek by Sub rd 2

There you have it a night of fights the way i see it going down. I hope it is a great card and that all my picks come to fruition.

• BigDave says:

Oh, I forgot one thing I wanted to add to my last post so I felt compelled to write another one.

To edub, I now we have had are differences on here but this is just MMA chest beating. What you do takes real courage and character and I commend you for it. Stay safe and thank you for all you do.

I know you haven’t left yet but if and when you do don’t worry I’ll still be here to bust your balls when you get back. 😉

• Markos says:

First off, edub man that is awesome. its good to see people serve thier country. Im in the Air Force ROTC right now so i know that i’ll eventually be in your position and with that thank you.

my predictions

Brendan Schaub via TKO or decision
    Hamill via decision
    Marcus Jones via submission
    Houston Alexander via KO
    Frankie Edgar via decision
    Darrill Schoonover via decision
    Justin Wren via TKO
    Rodney Wallace via Decision
    John Howard via Decision
    Mark Bocek via Submission

• moosebaby02 says:

Roy in the 2nd any way he wants
    want to say jones but hamill gnp
    Darkness. look for the quick takedown
    Houston tko gnp
    Frankie dec
    Schoonover gnp. McSweeney is a jerk
    Wren TKO
    Wallace dont know why??
    Howard dec
    Bocek Canuck power.

hey dub stay safe man

• edub says:

Angry Mike: The last thing I want to do is call attention to myself when I say this, so believe I’m sincere as I thank you for your service. If they send you in country, stay small.

Oh I will man. I ve been told the second time around is like clock work.

To all who wished me luck and sent me some love I appreciate it alot. Thank you.