How Do You Like Me Now: Badr Hari kicks Alistair Overeem right in the face (Video)

Revenge was without a doubt the theme of the evening during the K-1 World Grand Prix 2009 Finals, as not only did Semmy Schilt manage to avenge a prior loss to Badr Hari, but it was Hari who also had the opportunity to correct a wrong in the form of a prior knockout defeat suffered at the hands of Alistair “The Demolition Man” Overem.

The pair from Amsterdam first threw down back on New Years Eve, 2008, before their most recent meeting during the K-1 GP ended with Hari leveling the playing field with a head kick from hell.

• Dufresne says:

That was an impressive showing by Hari. I loved how he mixed it up throwing leg kicks, body kicks, high kicks and by how he changed up his punches throwing combos including body shots and uppercuts to keep Alistair off his game.

When I first heard Overeem got kicked in the face I envisioned him getting completely KO’d, but he was still walking around just a few seconds after the shot landed. I understand the stoppage by the ref as he was just getting worked over those last 30 seconds or so, but I would not call that a “head kick from hell.”

• David Andrest says:

Pure Domination

• Rich S. says:

Beautiful.

• Unabomberman says:

It was so odd. Overeem seemed tentative and in the end he got his ass handed to him by a 24 year old kid. Interesting. He never really recovered by the first punch that floored him in the beginning.

I can’t help but wonder how bad would Hari have fared had that been an MMA match as whenever Overeem had the chance he threw him around like a ragdoll.

Anyways, that was a good lecture on kickboxing, that’s for sure.

• Makington says:

Agreed Dufresne. Not exactly a head kick from hell. I might get a gazillion thumbs down for this but I don’t find the way Badr fights beautiful at all. My striking coach would slap right on the back of the head if I was half s reckless as that. I much prefer tight, technical striking as opposed to his wild, looping bombs. There’s no denying it worked for him, or that he’s a terrific striker, but I still believe a patient striker that picks their shots will beat that style everytime.

• hindsightufuk says:

hmmm, i was also misled into thinking Badr got a KO, wasnt anywhere near a KO was it. Always let down by these heavyweight K1 events, they just arent worth the time spent watching them.
    major props to Semmy tho.
    What will K1 do when Semmy, Remy, Errol, Jerome, Leko etc quit? Who will be left to put on these shit shows?
    The lighter weight events in K1 are awesome, these legends are just way past it now, all amazing their prime

• elkymbo says:

At least you lucky bastards get to watch K1 they won’t even show it on ppv down in australia so I wouldn’t complain too much.

• Nick Havok says:

Badr Hari vs. Alistair Overeem II had my heart pumping like no other fight this entire weekend. It was super-exciting!

…as the Voice Michael Schiavello put it, you could cut the tension with an electric toothbrush.

Pure awesomeness though…and Badr Hari showed why he is so highly touted. I mean he pretty much took Alistair to school. And I also think this would have happened last Dynamite!! show considering his head would have been screwed on straight.

But it wasn’t…that first fight came 2 weks after Hari’s meltdown at the 2008 Finals where he was stripped as the K-1 HW champ and has his entire purse taken away…so I think it is safe to say he was mentally unprepared to fight that night, and Alistair proved it.

Awesome rematch though! And although, I wanted the ‘MMA guy’ to win…it was cool to see Schiavello, Sefo and Kogan all freaking out like school girls when Hari won. I mean that was just hilarious seeing them all jumping up and down while holding on to each other.

Their enthusiasm was contagious.