Brendan Schaub: Roy Nelson has ‘definitely fought tougher guys’

Roy NelsonWhile there’s no debating which participant of tomorrow night’s The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale is the more battle tested in terms of professional experience inside of the cage, Brendan Schaub went a step further during a recent media call for the event, stating his opponent Roy Nelson has definitely faced off with ‘tougher’ competition in the past.

The pair are set to duke it out tomorrow evening, December 5 from the Pearl at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, during the series finale which will air live on Spike TV.

When the former professional football player was asked what he felt like he brought to the table that Nelson had never seen before, Brendan was quick to point directly to his athleticism, combined with a more well rounded skill set than some of Big Country’s prior foes, as key elements he believed would tilt things in his favor during tomorrow evening’s showdown.

“Roy’s had great fights and he’s definitely fought tougher guys, but I just think that my combination of speed and power, and the ability to take it wherever it goes is to my advantage.”

Undefeated with nothing but knockouts to his credit, Schaub will be looking to improve his professional fighting record to 5-0 to when he faces off with Nelson, who sports a career record of 13-4.

• Nick Havok says:

I agree!

Roy has fought tougher guys.

…even Kimbo Slice!

• fanoftna33 says:

• fanoftna33 says:

Nick Havok: I agree!Roy has fought tougher guys.…even Kimbo Slice!

Wow Nick you seem to be a thumbs dowm magnet no matter what you say.

• Nick Havok says:

fanoftna33: Wow Nick you seem to be a thumbs dowm magnet no matter what you say.

Yeah…I don’t think people got that that was a joke.

…either that or it just wasn’t funny.

• Dufresne says:

Nick Havok: Yeah…I don’t think people got that that was a joke.

My bad, I didn’t get the joke. Here’s a non-tangible thumbs up.

fanoftna33: If Brendan comes out and says he is going crush Nelson and he never fought a guy like me before BS, he is just being honest here.

Agreed. Nelson is definitely the more experienced fighter here, and no matter how Shaub looks at this, he’s got a tough fight here. If he keeps that in mind, doesn’t get too cocky, and is cautious and judicious with his standup, he can win this.

• danw84 says:

fanoftna33: Thats what you expect for a guy with 4 pro fights to say, espacially when fighting a guy who has fought some of the best out there. If Brendan comes out and says he is going crush Nelson and he never fought a guy like me before BS, he is just being honest here.

You mean like McSweeney? Haha

• fanoftna33 says:

I was just thinking the same thing Dawn84, Macsweeney got overconfident and looked like more of a punk than usual.

• bjjnewb says:

“I just think the intangibles are a little bit different than an [Andrei] Arlovski or a [Jeff] Monson,” said Schaub. “Those guys were very one dimensional.”

He is obviously still dealing with effects of the knee Marcus hit him with, making a statement like that????? he is out to lunch…….

• agreed I dont think I’d ever call Andre one dimensional and Monson is a decent boxer. big Country is more well rounded than Shaub and the Big Lights of the UFC wont rattle him. I think Dana is gonna have to grudgingly give the title to his “favorite” fighter this season. in past seasons big country would be his favorite but since he’s somewhat cocky and he ran over Dana’s cash cow Dana has had to be a dick to Roy. Which doesn’t make for good marketing of their next TUF champ.
    WAR BIG COUNTRY. Nelson by TKO or sub in round two

• Angry Mike says:

McSweeney’s hotdogging cost him the fight. He dropped his hands and threw his chin out like he was daring Roy to hit him. Roy caught him flush, took him down, put him in a crucifix, and pounded him out. I think Schaub’s hands are as good as McSweeney’s, and he seems to have some power, too. McSweeney tagged Roy several times with hard shots, so Schaub should be able to do the same. The problem is that Roy has a pretty good chin, so Schaub is really going to have work combos and keep moving. Schaub’s ability to dislodge Marcus from full mount was impressive, but I don’t think Roy could be bucked off. It probably wouldn’t happen anyway because Roy likes to work from the side, and that keeps his base solid and allows him to control his opponent with his arms and hands. Schaub has a reasonable chance, but he’s going to fight very intelligently and avoid any mistakes that leave him open for Roy’s takedowns.

• David Andrest says:

Someone explain to me on What planet McSweeney ever had a chance againt Nelson? a 3-4 HW fighting Nelson?

Did everyone calling him a great kickboxer really brainwash and entire community?

What next? Nelson is fat, lazy and boring?

Jesus people wake up

Nelson toyed with McSweeney like a cat with a balled up piece of tin foil.

• Guthookd says:

I pick Roy in round 2 via G ‘n P. He bucked Marcus but Roy won’t let that happen. I think once it goes to the ground Schwab won’t get back up.

I’m excited!!

• Krautz says:

Wow the guy whos 5-0 calling a former UFC champion and a former UFC Heavyweight title contender very one dimensional, guess he’s learning alot from Evans like how to run his mouth, Nelson first round G’n’P.

• 3OAM says:

If McSweeney’s hands were good, he certainly didn’t let their good side show. They looked real good in training, but I must have missed when he let them loose in his fights.

• Makington says:

I don’t think he meant it as an insult, I think he just didn’t want it to seem like he had nothing on Roy. I guess you could say Andrei prefers the striking game, although saying he’s one dimensional with it is sort of ridiculous. Andrei has great takedowns and extremely under-rated submissions. Monson is a great submission wrestler, but not a great boxer, although he’s not a bad boxer. I wouldn’t say they’re one dimensional by any means, but Brendan can’t admit that people like Monson and Arlovski are better than him in all areas. He kept his head by saying he isn’t his biggest fight, but he didn’t want it to seem like he had no chance.

It’s not cocky, to be a fighter, you have to think you’re going to win. If you go into the fight thinking you’ll lose, then that’s a guarantee you will. I think he’s trying to convince himself more so than he’s trying to convince us. Is it enough to beat Roy? Doubts, but I think he’ll do much better than anyone else did on the show. Maybe he’ll even go Ross Pierson on us and all of a sudden be an absolute beast.

• KTru says:

I do not find anything wrong with Schaub saying Arlovski and Monson are one-dimensional. Because they are. AA and his short-comings have been on the ground, therefore he tries to keep it standing. As for Monson, the guy is a world-class grappler but gets owned on his feet.

Schaub is not out of hand with the statements, just simply stating the obvious. With both of said fighters would probably agree