Junior dos Santos vs. Gibert Yvel set for UFC 108

Gilbert YvelJunior Dos Santos appears to have a new opponent for UFC 108 after originally being scheduled to face Gabriel Gonzaga at the January 2nd event, until “Napao” was forced to withdraw due to a staph infection.

According to a report on TATAME.com, Dos Santos will face former PRIDE fighter, Gilbert Yvel. Dos Santos’ boxing coach, Luis Dorrea, confirmed the fight to the website.

“We know Gilbert is a very strong guy, he like to fight standing, but “Cigano” is better in striking now, we’re doing our job and I know we’re gonna get the victory,” explained Dorrea.

Gilbert “The Hurricane” Yvel, has a total of 50 professional fights, with an overall record of 36-13-1. The veteran fighter will be making his UFC debut after fighting for such organizations as PRIDE, K1, Affliction, and Cage Rage. His last fight in June was a first round KO win over former UFC champion Pedro Rizzo.

Junior Dos Santos has been on a tear since debut with the UFC, posting a 3-0 record in the UFC, with an overall record of 9-1. “Cigano” defeated Mirko Filopovic, Stefan Struve, and Fabricio Werdum, since entering the Octagon.

UFC 108 is scheduled for January 2nd 2010, live from MGM Grand Garden Arean, in Las Vegas.

• Guthookd says:

Wow. That is going to be a great test for DosSantos. I love to watch Gilbert fight and I’ll be pulling for him, but I’m not counting DS out. Can’t wait for this one.

• Davey D says:

Holy Shiiiiiittttt!!!!!! This fight this gonna be down right fireworks man. I will bet my lunch money that someone will get KTFO before the second round ends. I really do not see this one making the 3rd round at all.

JOE SILVA – You my friend are the freaking Man right now. And this isn’t even a title fight!

Get ready for Superbowl weekend errbody because this fight is gonna bring your house, bar, gala/event DOWN. Cheers!!!

• Angry Mike says:

Yikes. Gilbert Yvel in the UFC? Is White trying to take the pressure off Tito, Kos, and Lesnar by giving the fans somebody to really hate? And how does Dos Santos properly prepare for eye gouging, biting etc?

• fanoftna33 says:

Yvel by ko for sure here. If Dos Santos does get the win though then he proves he belongs at the top of the HW division, this is just a great match.

• Niv says:

Whoa, this is a very dangerous fight for Dos Santos.

I had no idea the UFC signed Yvel, he is one serious striker, we’ll definitely see where Dos Santos really is after this fight.

• Dufresne says:

This is a dangerous fight for both of these guys. I honestly don’t know who to pick in this, but I can guarantee that it won’t end by gogoplata.

• Davey D says:

Gilbert would be a complete idoit to try anything shady in Nevada. They only gave him a one fight license too so he better not eff this one up. I think he has learned his lesson(s) from the past and can be a respectful opponet to anyone (and THE REF, MR. YVEL…no touchy, mmm-k?).

• Rich S. says:

Woooooow, I had to double take the heading of this article..
    How long has Yvel been signed to the UFC? Since the end of Affliction? Wow.

This is a huge fight and a guaranteed knockout ending..

I like Dos Santos and think he’s worthy of a title shot where he stands right now..
    But, I’ll be rooting for Yvel, just because I want the UFC fan base to see the action this guy brings..

• xtreme_machine says:

They need to give Cigano real contenders like Cain Velasquez so he can show the world that they are just hype and not real contenders.

• moosebaby02 says:

well holy shit.
    i got dos santos in the 2nd. just for shit and giggles. if he can surive the 1st??

• Nick Havok says:

Awesome fight!

Gilbert has some dynamite in his fists…and he just might light Dos Santos up if Junior isn’t extremely careful.

• Jak says:

Nick Havok: I can easily see Yvel pulling the upset here. Kinda like how Paul Daley strolled in and crushed longtime UFC fighter Martin Kampmann…thus shocking a whole lotta folks.

Yarr….

I hated when people said Daley didn’t have a chance! The same people that said Kampmann was a top 5 WW! And then when Kampmann lost, generalized and said “nobody thought Daley would win” F*ck those f*cking f*ckers. :)

This is a great fight. Let’s see what dos Santos has. He trains with Silva and Machida and Nog. He knows what’s coming. And to have Yvel back in the UFC is awesome. Win or lose, match these guys up against Rothwell, Buent, Duffee, Barry, Velasquez, Nog, Carwin, etc. … and those are some great fights.

• Jak says:

“in the ufc”… not back in… shouldn’t type incapacitated… :)

• MMA-LOGIC says:

No no no. If they keep this standing it will be a KO yes but tell me if you were to fight Mike Tyson in his prime in an MMA match would you stand and box with him? I find it hard to swallow and become VERY cynical when fighters play to their opponents strengths when they themselves are much more proficient in another area of the fight game. ie trying to gnp or sub Maia or wrestle with Valasquez. If I was Dos Santos I would take Yvel down and play the ground game where Yvel is of very little threat in comparison to his stand up. Why would you not? I mean Dos Santos has a far better ground game surely, he trains with the Nog bros and Silva and Gilbert has shown a complete dislike for ground fighting. The game plan should be to take him down and quick, unless you are trying (foolishly) to prove something or have had it suggested to you that an exciting stand up fight may improve you career prospects faster than what a smart game plan would like Seth was told before he fought Kimbo. To be honest if this is a stand up war I will be disappointed.

• Ray Pist says:

MMA-LOGIC and myself seem to agree quite a bit from what I’ve read.

Everyone that Dos Santos has fought so far he has had a significant advantage in the striking department (remember he fought today’s cro-cop not 5 years ago cro-cop). Werdum and struve aren’t stand up artists, they are submission artists and Dos Santos does have well above average striking. It made sense for him to stand with his previous opponents.

That being said I believe Yvel to have some of the best MMA standup there is, there are few MMA fighters i would bet on to defeat Yvel by standup. Check out his fight with Kongo back in the day for more proof. Why isn’t Yvel the champ if his stand up is so good? Quite simply and bluntly (hheehe, blunt) put his ground game is horrid, he lacks any semblance of technique when he is on the ground, but is still difficult to keep down because of his ridiculous strength.

I think this match will be a look into the ground game of Dos Santos, does he have the wrestling and jiu jitsu game to keep a man of Yvel’s strength pinned on the ground? I’m not saying we are going to see a submission, I think we will see Dos Santos attempt GnP, and if he does have the ground game you would expect from a student of the Nogeira’s I think it will be a short and painful night for Mr. Yvel…however if Dos Santos stands…I think it will be a short and painful night for Dos Santos…just my 2 cents!

Dos Santos also has never faced a wrestler of an sort of merit….before title contention each fighter in my mind must have at least…preferably more but at least 1 win against a world class striker, a world class submission artist, and a world class wrestler….Dos Santo’s lacks the wrestler in my mind and Yvel won’t fix that, he needs a cain, a carwin, a brock (but he is champ and sick), just someone who is known to be able to take the opponent down at will usually….for all we know we have another Kongo on our hands, or he could have a world class sprawl and knock the shyte out of wrestlers….remains to be seen I’m just saying I want to see it is all!

• sjkid49 says:

wow this where if santos wants to be considered a title contender you use your head and have a smart game plan take it the ground,correct me if im wrong but doesnt have a purple belt in jj.if so thats good enough to beat yvel,but you alwys need the extra cash and make it fotn