Brendan Schaub thought Marcus Jones ‘missed’ with knee that broke his nose

brendan schaubThe Ultimate Fighter 10 Finalist Brendan Schaub had his nose shattered with the a huge knee from Marcus Jones during the semifinals of this season’s heavyweight tournament, but he wouldn’t have known it if it hadn’t been for UFC President Dana White pointing out his crooked snot-box following the bout’s conclusion. As a matter of fact, Brendan had no idea he had been hit with anything at all.

When asked during today’s TUF Finale media call whether or not the big knee he received in the clinch at the hands of the freakishly powerful Jones had phased him to some degree, Schaub revealed that he never knew what hit him… literally.

“Not at all man. I was waiting for him to capitalize on it and he would have got knocked out the same way,” said Schaub. “To be honest with you, when he threw the knee I was like, ‘Man, that was close, He missed’. I didn’t feel it at all. Not until after the fight and Dana White goes, “Man, feel your nose. Feel your nose bro”, and I feel my nose and it was all off-centered. I ended up breaking my nose, but I didn’t even think the knee hit me to be honest with you.”

Brendan will face off with Roy Nelson in the tournament finale that is set for this Saturday evening, December 5, from Las Vegas, and airing live on Spike TV.

• Dufresne says:

It’s amazing what adrenaline will do for you.
    If he’s even remotely telling the truth about not feeling that shot he must have inherited Cabbage’s chin because it looked nasty.

I don’t see him taking this fight from Roy, but I kinda hope he does. I think he’s got a brighter future in the UFC than Roy does, and this would be a big boost to get it started.

• Davey D says:

I had Brendan winning this whole thing once I seen him defeat Damico. He is cool as ice while on his back and doesn’t freak out like most people. That in itself is a very hard thing to do man. Let alone at Heavyweight. I guess that is what training day in and out with Shane Carwin will do for you, huh?

That said, every man as to do it alone and I think Brenden has what it takes to beat Roy. I don’t think it’ll be easy because it never is but I believe he’ll be able to submit Big Country somehow.

• Angry Mike says:

He took that knee flush in the face and didn’t even wobble. I knew “Big Baby” was headed for “Big Trouble” at that point. I’m impressed with Schaub, but I think he’s got an uphill battle against Nelson’s smothering ground game. If Nelson gets him in side control, it’s over.

• MacBatty says:

I think Brendan Schaub is a douche and cant wait for Big Country to put that big belly of his on Schaubs face just before infliciting about a min of ground and pound!

• Nick Havok says:

Angry Mike: If Nelson gets him in side control, it’s over.

I mean I’m not saying Schaub can or can’t survive if Roy gets him down and side mounts him…all I am saying is Brendan obviously has some ground skills as he clearly displayed in his last fight against Jones.

I think he deserves a little more credit than you are giving him.

• buzzcramp says:

I’ve thought from the start that Nelson’s got too much experience to be competing on this show. I pegged him to win it all from the start, and I’m surprised that most that follow the sport don’t see it the same way.

• qat says:

Nick Havok: How can you say that after Marcus Jones had Schaub fully mounted and he escaped?

you ever heard about emphasis? and roy knows how to get that weight on somebody. jones somehow, hmm, i dont know, it feels like he is not lethal enough. he does battle for position on the ground constantly, but he hardly throws anything. i saw that in his previous fight as well. he has big hands, but he is using them to little to late. and brendon was just too good for that.
    but maybe big baby will learn from that. if he does, he can be a threat in the hw division.

• JollyDV says:

He must have a huge tolerance for pain. That knee hurt me through the TV. I can’t wait to see the finale.