The Gracies Are Back: Renzo Gracie signs with the UFC

renzo gracieRenzo Gracie will mark the first member of the Gracie family to compete in the UFC since Royce was thoroughly embarrassed by former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes back in May of 2007 during UFC 60.

The news comes courtesy of a recent report from Brazilian mixed martial arts journalist Paula Sack in a recent video interview.

At forty-two years of age Renzo will be joining a club of MMA legends in the UFC previously held exclusive to fighters such as Randy Couture and Mark Coleman. However, if Coleman and Couture’s recent success over younger competition is a sign of what’s to come for Renzo, the dangerous Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt may still have a couple of wins left in him at the highest level of competition when it’s all said and done.

Sporting a career record of 13-6 with one draw, Gracie hasn’t seen professional MMA action since February of 2007 when the grappling technician was awarded with the disqualification victory after being kneed in the head while grounded by Frank Shamrock during “EliteXC: Destiny”. During his career Gracie holds notable victories over the likes of Oleg Taktarov, Carlos Newton and Pat Miletich.

• redwire says:

Interesting, but he was probably better off in the shallower waters of Strikeforce.

• Dufresne says:

With his very good submission skills he could still be more than a threat. Just his name will be huge draw for the above average fan.

Hopefully the UFC won’t throw him right in amongst the top tier yet and will spend a little bit of time building some hype for him.

• MDT says:

He’s gonna have to hurry and get a fight scheduled if he wants to be the first Gracie back in UFC. Rolles Jr. signed in October and fights Mostapha al-Turk at UFC 109.

• Angry Mike says:

Unless his hands are significantly better than Royce’s, he won’t be competitive. You can’t be one dimensional in modern MMA even if you’re especially skilled in your one dimension.

• fanoftna33 says:

Renzo is one of the more well rounded old guard Gracie fighters out there, probably second onle to Rickson. This could lead to some pretty cool matches.

• hindsightufuk says:

as long as people (and renzo) dont take this too seriously and start talking about what he needs to do to get a title shot, there is a few good legends match ups in here.
    i love watching renzo fight, no he’s not a threat to the belt, but shit yes i’m stoked to see him back in action. I hope he doesnt get treated like Trigg and get thrown in against a top contender, last 60 seconds then back out the door. thatd be pointless

• mohawk009 says:

What is the UFC thinking??? Sign another fading veteran who will get a beat down by almost anyone in the tough welterweight division. What is going on in the head office? Cutting young talent with potential like Rosholt all the while just waiting to announce Renzo’s signing. Don’t get me wrong i have always and will always be a Gracie fan but his best years are long gone. Strikeforce would benefit more by signing Henzo because they need big names like his, the UFC doesn’t!

• diceman says:

A true legend.

Which will make it all the more difficult when he gets crushed by a mid-tier opponent.

The game has just evolved too fast for guys like this (out of the fight game for years, one dimensional, etc.)

• k-class says:

MDT, he’s goin to have to hurry??? i’ll bet my shirt that he’s on the 108 card, i like the rest of the world have steered away from the boxing norm to expect an awesome card at new year, with everyone out, isn’t this the next best thing??? screw it, send him in with Machida, at least unlike his other fellow members of the UFC elite, he seems to like a fight, and wouldnt the chance to take out a legend who has fought anyone in his career, and i mean anyone, be the best way to see in the new year??? Renzo as champ in any division would be the vest way to celebrate a new decade, and to say he doesnt deserve it??? none of our present day champions had to compete the way these guys did, 30mins no breaks, broken bones and split carcases, Renzo deserves the chance to take out anyone, these guys made the sport the way it is, and made everyone want to be better, every champ should be willing to risk it for a Gracie of past, Fact, this is not an opinion, its a right of the sports founders to challenge the growth of the sport we love, all hail the gracies, and all hail the modern day sport that they gave birth to, i for one bless them for opening my eyes to a sport that takes my breathe away!!!!

• FightFan313 says:

Dudes.. I really hope they didn’t clear out Jake Roshalt for Renzo. Then again ..Lethan weapon 5 was still really good.

• Nick Havok says:

There is a strong possibility Renzo Gracie will be fighting Matt Hughes at UFC 109.

• Cory Brady says:

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Renzo v Maia and Renzo v Phalhares may be good too. Can’t see him threatening Silva at 185 but I can see him humbling a few other 185ers in the UFC MW division.

• hindsightufuk says:

K-class, thats a damn good post, i like you train of thought

• moosebaby02 says:

hindsightufuk and k-class
    if you get title shots for accomplishments outside of the UFC and things you did in the distance past then Hendo wouldnt be looking for a new home to fight with and be fighting Anderson as soon as he gets better.
    I understand what your saying but it has no logic to it

• k-class says:

I dont think any old fighter should get a crack at a title, but hey, if there was a title fight up for grabs, tell me it wouldnt make the hairs on your neck stand up, and i know Machida would jump at it, so would Silva if he was fit, and sh*t, so would George. The UFC are a business, i mean, rampage, one fight, title shot, Henderson got his title shot after walking into the UFC, they could have kept those guys apart and had two titles running for a while so when times like these came along there could be options if everyone was sick, Lesnar, title shot, Mir title shot, they nnever do a rematch for a title, so why not throw Renzo in for a crack at the whip, then throw Sakuraba in aswell, and then get Rickson in about, if by chance these guys still have it, then it means the best are what they are, champions, who cares if they walked in off the street, beat the champ, you are the champ, and i think guys who paved the way for the sport, and more importantly the UFC to be a sucessful as it is today should rightfully get a chance, cause if it wasnt for families like the gracies then we wouldnt be here discussing it, we would be on some hick website with all the yanks looking out for the next banned in 51 states 500 plus capacity night of bar room brawling. Maybe Renzo should go on youtube and beat up some no-one, then he would deserve it eh????

• Nick Havok says:

Cory Brady: I remember that report Nick, but it came out the next day from Renzo that it was bogus. He said he’s been in talks about a possible fight with Hughes, but it wasn’t going to be his first with the promotion. Even though Renzo normally competes at 185 pounds, I still think it would be a great match-up.

Ah-ha! I see. Yeah, the place I read that never ran a retraction, so I didn’t know it was all a bad rumor.

But if I can be brutally honest…other than his last name being ‘Gracie’, I have no clue why the UFC picked up this fossil.

I have never been impressed with any of Renzo’s fights…as a matter of fact, he was involved in some of the worst, most boring fights I have ever seen in the early days of Pride. Just unbearable to watch.

Then the way he faked a concussion against Frank Shamrock at the first EliteXC show…ugh, I just have no desire to watch this guy fight.

And I damn sure aren’t going to PAY to watch him…no way in hell.

I give the UFC two thumbs down for bringing Renzo in. Poor move in my opinion. Especially when at the same time they are cutting young, raw talents like Jake Rosholt.

I’m just like what in the f*ck are they thinking?

• moosebaby02 says:

We should all be so grateful for God placing the Gracie family in are presence.
    Like I said before I hear what your saying K so I will leave it at that

• MMA-LOGIC says:

moosebaby02: hindsightufuk and k-class
    I understand what your saying but it has no logic to it

What logic are you talking about. Yeah no 2 ranked MW in the world, coming off wins over Bisping, Franklin and Phalhares and being a former champion in 2 weight classes in the biggest MMA org that has ever been means nothing. ???????????????????? He is looking for another home because he can’t come to an agreement with the UFC and Silva has said he has no interest in fighting Hendo again. I am surprised more people have not asked why. Is Silva ducking him or does he think he is just too good for a guy that has taken a rd off him and is the no.2 in the world?.

• k-class says:

Yes Moose, we should be grateful to god if there was one, but theres not so, where are you coming from????? And you want to leave it at that, ok??? I understand. But Renzo kicks ass, sure hes had a few wobblers, but honestly, i’ve watched this guy since i was in pampers, and to say you wouldnt pay to watch him, this guy has had hundreds of fights, so to judge him on a few isnt really fair.

Anyway, im just on my period and needed to talk, i though this was pre menstral website.