Maia claims he would have tangled Marquardt up if he went for the coup de grace

nate marquardtAlthough most that were in attendance and watching at home firmly believed that Demian Maia was a “done-da-da” after being dropped like a sack of potatoes in the early moments of his UFC 102 meeting with Nate Marquardt, in a recent conversation with Sensei Sport TV the decorated submission grappler implied that he was far from a wrap at the point the bout was called to a halt.

“Actually I was conscious,” explained Maia. “I wasn’t knocked out, it was a knock down.”

According to Maia, Marquardt may have pulled his “coup de grace punch”, not as an act of class and respect on his obviously finished opponent, but more in fear of what may have happened to him if he had.

“A lot of people say that what [Marquardt] had done was nice, because he didn’t hit me on the floor,” said Demian in the conversation that was translated by Tatame.com. “Maybe it was, but maybe he stopped because if he misses the punch I would tangle with him and the fight would still be going on.”

• thunder okami says:

What the hell Demian!!! As classy as he is i would not have expected him to say some shit like this…

• matt says:

When I saw the fight I did not think that Maia was unconcious but he was clearly rocked. In that situation I could have seen the ref let the fight continue for a little longer. If this was the situation I believe Nate would have just rained down a couple more of powerful blows ending the fight. Even if Maia wasnt out I dont think Maia would have able to catch Nate as he is to smart of a fighter to stay on the ground with Maia. I think the ref did a good job stopping the fight when one fighter was defensless.

• valzcer says:

That K.O. really Rattle his Brain…

• qat says:

seems like nate knocked the stupidity-section of demian’s brain on.

• qat says:

seems like nate knocked the stupidity-section of demian’s brain on.

• fanoftna33 says:

It sounds like he is trying to convince himself that he could have won that fight, despite what everybody else saw. Hopefully he is able to learn from this and not be the type of fighter that never accepts a loss or his own limitations, like how it took the ko by Jardine to Griffen for Forrest to realize his own limitations and he became a even better fighter for it.

• Jak says:

Would’ve, could’ve, etc….

Sorry but the fight lasted like 8 seconds. it’s not like it lasted a few minutes where Maia showed something. it last one punch.

done and done.

• moosebaby02 says:

that is some real shit talk Maia

• Angry Mike says:

Probably an unwise thing to say. If somebody else puts him in that position again, they may not pull the last punch or two, and it’s the shots you take after you’re rocked that can do real damage.

• Makington says:

Tito put him up to this…

I don’t see how he thinks he would have caught an arm and broken it. He must not have seen the fight because he was curled up with his back to Marquardt. Now I can’t say for him, but the rest of the population usually has trouble seeing out of the back of their head, so I don’t know how he would have seen the ‘coup de grace’ coming.

• Guy Gaduois says:

In a related story, the U.S. did not drop a third atom bomb on Japan because there were fears the Japanese would throw it right back and do some real damage.

The role of the Black Knight will now be played by Demian Maia. “Merely a flesh wound . . .”

Audacity and Stupidity should never mate; their offspring is abhorrent.

• elsicilian says:

• JTM says:

I re-watched this fight the other night, it was on in place of TUF on Five USA.

To remind you, Maia lands a couple of leg kicks and throws some combos for the first 30 seconds. Marquardt’s not fazed and spots that Maia’s left hand is low. His very first punch that he lands, heck, that he throws,connects right on Maia’s jaw, spinning the Brazillian through 180° and onto the mat. He’s just about able to roll onto his back. I’m not going to second guess Maia if he says he wasn’t out, I’ll take his word, but not even his amazing jitz skills would have saved him from an inevitable match-ending beatdown. As a contest, the fight was over.

Why wait until now to protest?

• nate says:

i blame maias loss to nate purely on wanderlei. thats s bold claim i know but friggen wand gassed maia up about his standup. after sparring with wand for a few weeks silva had maia thinking he could hang with marquardt striking which maia tried to do before he was put to sleep..that mans bread and butter is on the ground..WHY? why would you try to strike with nate? cause wanderlei told you your standup was much improved? i wish he hadnt listened at the time.

• redwire says:

FINALLY, somebody talks about the elephant in the room, i.e., the early stoppage in the Maia fight!

When I was watching, I was like, Ha! Marquardt isn’t hitting him again, ’cause he’s afraid of going to the ground! Then I was like, ‘omigod’ why did the ref stop the fight? Maia was about to draw him in and choke him out!

Then I was like, ‘why does my Acai taste all funny’, and I woke up on Tuesday with a headache the size of Toledo.

See, it’s fun to say ridiculous stuff.

• Dufresne says:

I have to say I’m embarrassed for Maia here. He was clearly dropped and although not completely unconscious, he was turning away from Nate which is not intelligently defending yourself so the stoppage was completely justified in my mind.

This may be Maia’s attempt at trash talking to promote a rematch, which he may get if Marquardt loses to Belfort, but it’s still tactless and disappointing.

• Dufresne says:

elsicilian: … and this is why fighters occasionally throw in that extra punch, and/or continue blasting until the ref actually stops the fight. hopefully we all remember it well the next time bisping/henderson comes up in conversation.

• Paulo says:

Wow. The only thing Maia has done by making these comments is ensure himself death or brain damage the next time these two fighters meet. That wasn’t a lucky knockout. Maia has really suspect striking and I’m sure the next time these two fight it’s gonna end up the same way. Except this time Nate is probably gonna put the coup de grace right through his skull because of Maia’s comments.

• Gai Jin says:

Absolute crap. How embarrassing for him to lose so quickly and to now be talking smack like he was in that fight. Joke.

• Rich S. says:

To this day, I don’t understand why Nate didn’t follow through. Maia hit the ground pretty hard but he was turning around with his hands over his head (i.e. Intelligently defending himself). Respectable, but very risky.

Still, it looked like Maia had no idea where he was when he rolled over..

• fanoftna33 says:

Maia’s ko to Nate kind of reminds me of the loss Koscheck got when he faced Thiago, both guys were clearly rocked and each time the ref was a little fast to stop it but really both guys were saved a hendo/bisping beating.

• cocoonofhorror says:

LMAO!!! if my aunt had a cock, she would be Christiane Cyborg.

• Swing Em says:

Dear Mr. Maia,

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda…but you didn’t get the chance because you got smashed on.

It happens, just move on with you life & maybe one day you’ll get the chance to choke him out or snap a limb.

• jj says:

Maia looked like a extremely confused child after he got dropped and he’s damn lucky that Marquardt held back his next punch. It’s one thing to say your OK in a fight when you make it to a decision, however it’s very different to start talking shit after someone held back from caving your face in. Pathetic.

• Angry Mike says:

@Guy

RE: “Third Atom Bomb”

En Fuego! LMAO

• Nick Havok says:

It’s like Marquardt hit Maia so hard it knocked a screw loose in his head or something. Because that was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.

I knew there was a reason I wasn’t a fan of this guy.

• FightFan313 says:

all i hear is ..please Dana please don’t fire me.

• Guthookd says:

He should forget about that loss and focus on what’s next IMO.

• Dufresne says:

Dufresne: That extra shot thrown by Henderson was completely unnecessary. While I wouldn’t have blasted Marquardt if he had followed up with a few shot, when you’re opponent is already on their back, unconscious and locked up there is absolutely no reason to throw another shot. Period.

Ok, I’m not much of a complainer, but how in the world is this even up for debate?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

This may have already been said but is this guy saying “…hit me next time” or what? If Nate had of continued he had a free swing at this guys head for a huge home run punch. It would have been ugly. Sure he may have missed but he was sober at the time and I think he trains to fight a little bit too. This was a pretty stupid thing to say. Maybe the true meaning was lost in translation?. I hope so.

• benjammin says:

that guy needs a reality check. didnt have a chance of tying up nate

• elkymbo says:

Imagine if it was the old pride days and there was still foot stomps allowed now THAT would’ve been ugly.