Junior dos Santos: ‘I’ll Face Anyone’

junior dos santosAlthough Gabriel Gonzaga has been sidelined from his anticipated appearance at UFC 108 due to the the sport’s equivalent of a zombie-plague otherwise known as staph infection, his expected opponent and fellow Brazilian Junior dos Santos still has plans to compete at the event scheduled for January 2, and he doesn’t care who he has to go through to do it.

In a recent conversation with Tatame.com, the just twenty-five year old knockout specialist explained that the odds of Gonzaga making a recovery in time to throw down at UFC 108 aren’t looking great, and quite frankly, “Cigano” isn’t trying to wait for him. Just put someone in front of him and let the man do what he does best: Punch someone right square in the face.

“I’m waiting an UFC proposal, but probably they will put someone else on his place,” explained Dos Santos. “As the most of the heavyweights are sick or have scheduled fights.”

“I’ll face anyone. I’ve been training for a long time and I’ll be ready. It’s not good to wait and lose the rhythm. I was on for this fight and it’s not good to take the focus off. I have one month to the fight and whoever it is, I prefer to fight“

In some good news, when the conversation turned to his good friend and training partner Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira’s bout with staph infection, Junior sounded more than optimistic at the prospect of a fully recovered “Minotauro” Nogueira come UFC 110 in February as the former champion is expected to give the fast rising Cain Velasquez the stiffest test of his young career, stating, “It was the same problem that happened before the fight against Frank Mir (UFC 92), but when I left United States, it was everything ok. He called me saying that he’s much better, but he’s still taking the medicines… The recovering is good. I believe that in a few days he will be as new again“

• Nick Havok says:

Awesome news about Nogueira! I hope he is able to recover in time to face Velasquez at UFC 100. That will be a great match-up!

But how can you not love Junior’s attitude and willingness to fight anyone the UFC puts in front of him?

Me personally, guys like this are my favorite. They don’t make excuses or complain…they just fight!

Hopefully the UFC can come up with somebody who will at least give Junior a test though. Because as I see it, Dos Santos is on an absolute tear. I see him destroying whoever decides to step-up and challenge him.

• Nick Havok says:

Crap, I obviously meant at UFC 110…not UFC 100.

• fanoftna33 says:

• Nick Havok says:

fanoftna33: I would really like to see Dos Santos go up against Paul Buentello sometime soon as they are both great strikers and a win by either would up thier stock quite a bit.

Agreed.

That would be a great stand-up fight (on paper anyway)…but I see Dos Santos as the overwhelming favorite if that were to happen. If Junior was to win, it would definitely be a step up the ladder and an impressive, solid victory for him. But I don’t think it would quite catapult him to the top though.

Now on the otherhand, if Buentello was able to defeat Dos Santos I think it would be a major step up for the Headhunter. It would really thrust him back into the spotlight and put his name in the somewhat jumbled UFC heavyweight title picture.

It would be a fun fight to watch though! Some big punches would be thrown for sure.

• fanoftna33 says:

• Nick Havok says:

fanoftna33: I think a win by Dos Santos vs Buentello would mean much more than his recent win over Cro Cop as Buentello never has an excuse for losing and always fights hard and fights to ko somebody not just to not be koed.

Don’t get me wrong…I totally agree!

I mean we both know how good Buentello is, we are hardcore followers of the sport…it’s just the casual UFC fan doesn’t. To them a win over ‘Cro-Cop’ would seem bigger simply because he is a bigger name.

Is that wrong?

Yeah, I think it is…but what can we do?

The casuals simply don’t know who Paul Buentello is at this point. That is why I don’t think a Dos Santos win over him would propell Junior very far…unlike how a win for Paul him over Dos Santos would. It’d be huge for the Headhunter simply because Dos Santos is a known name within the organization. A win of this magnitude by Buentello gets his name in the minds and mouths of casual fans.

…which is the name of the game in the UFC if you want to go far.

• fanoftna33 says:

Good point Nick.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Casual UFC fans know who Buentello is. He is the guy that got knocked the fuck out by Arlovski while the opening bell was still ringing with a vicious right sneeze. He is gonna pull the “leave embarrassed, fight nobodys overseas and compile a record to get back to the majors, and get your face removed by Dos Santos. Back to Japan, domo oregato, mr Buentello. Go Toughman competition!!!!!

• Angry Mike says:

Throw him in with Pat Barry. That dude can bang.

• Makington says:

I was going to suggest the same thing Angry Mike. In a striking contest, Pat Barry wins, no matter who he is fighting, and this one would be pure fireworks.

• fraz says:

108 is hurting for some name recognition. They really need to keep Dos Santos on this card. I say it’s time for Arlovski’s comeback. Nice test for Dos Santos.