Josh Koscheck vs. Paulo Thiago rematch likely for UFC 109

thiago koscheckOn the heels of back to back victories over the likes of Frank Trigg and Anthony Johnson, Josh Koscheck will have the opportunity to avenge a defeat that has haunted him since February 21 of this year, as a rematch between himself and Paulo Thiago appears to be on the horizon.

The news of the potential bout comes courtesy of a recent report over at MMAFanhouse, citing UFC 109 as the card the two are expected to face off at.

UFC 109 is expected to take place on February 6 from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas with unofficial yet very possible match-ups of Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman and Nate Marquardt vs. Vitor Belfort also anticipated for the card.

With only two of his eighteen professional bouts not taking place in the UFC, Koscheck is an Octagon veteran of the the most experienced pedigree. The American Kickboxing Academy trained fighter holds impressive victories over the previously noted Trigg and Johnson, along with Diego Sanchez, Dustin Hazelett and Chris Lytle.

Paulo Thiago lost a whole lot of people a whole lot of money at UFC 95 when he deposited a perfectly timed uppercut directly to the chin of Koscheck for the widely unanticipated TKO victory. Since that stunning win in his UFC debut the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt went on to drop a unanimous decision at the hands of Koscheck’ training partner Jon Fitch before recently bouncing back into the win column with a unanimous decision over the previously undefeated Jacob Volkmann at UFC 106.

• Nick Havok says:

Nice!

This will give Koscheck a chance to show his true colors and put that bad loss to Thiago behind him. Because I don’t think in 10 more fights would Paulo Thiago ever knock Koscheck out again.

No way.

I mean I don’t believe in flukes in MMA…but the first fight was rather flukish.

• fanoftna33 says:

About the first fight I think Joe Rogan says it best “Anything can happen with thoes little gloves ”
    Although he does say it to often it is true.

• xtreme_machine says:

i hope Thiago KOs him again

i hate that guy he wins to fights and he think he deserves the title shot

Hardy is riding a 7 fight wining streak UFC 4-0

beating Gono on his DEBUT
    and then Davis a tough guy to beat
    and OWNING MIke Swick (who has only lost twice in the UFC to future title conteders)

plus Kos already got own by GSP and just like the UFC did to Hendo ad Nate
    if they want a rematch they REALLY have to work hard for it and it is going o take them longer

Regardless i still think he would lose to GSP but he does have KO power
    and just like they say ANYTHING can happen with hose small gloves
    do not believe me just ask Kos

• xtreme_machine says:

xtreme_machine: i hate that guy he wins to fights and he think he deserves the title shot

i meant TWO fights

in addition Frank Trigg is DONE

and Johnson is too GREEN

• Makington says:

Man, Thiago is really having a rough introduction to the UFC. First he fights Koscheck, then he signs to fight Fitch, but it gets changed. After that he fights Volkmann, who although unknown had a lot of legitimate hype behind him. Now he is going to fight Kos again. That’s a rough couple of fights I think.

Now, if I were God, I would give Thiago the power to get the second and last knock out of his career, because it’s funny and because Kos needs it. However, I am not God, and therefore what is supposed to happen probably will this time, which is Kos pounding out a decision.

I wonder if Kos will try to make it a brawl again, to really send a message.

I really don’t think Thiago will win this time. Obviously you can say the old ‘anything can happen in MMA’ but that was the one time it really did happen.

• Makington says:

xtreme_machine:
    i meant TWO fightsin addition Frank Trigg is DONEand Johnson is too GREEN

Everytime I read the way you type, I can only picture you saying it the way the popular Powerthirst commercials on youtube say it. Check em out. They’re pretty entertaining.

• benjammin says:

i like to watch kos fight but its more of a love to hate thing with me. i dont think he has a chance at gsp. that being said neither does hardy. but then again who does in that division? gotta give someone a shot to keep the ball rolling

• edub says:

Frank Trigg, Yoshiyuki Yoshida, and Anthony Johnson are better wins IMO than Swick, Gono, Davis, and Markham. Although I believe Swick is the best of the bunch on a good day I believe he wasn’t himself against Hardy. Then again maybe he was just exposed a little bit.

In saying that I believe that a fighter has the right to call out anyone he wants if he feels he could back it up. They just have to pick there spots..(stuff like Efrain Escudero calling out BJ would only make Efrain look stupid if he did it after his next win). However I also believe that GSP-Hardy is a good fight in that Hardy beat the number 1 contender in his last bout and is still undefeated in the UFC.

• benjammin says:

its not on this article but does anyone think that kongo will defeat mir? i hope mir breaks bones

• edub says:

Oh and Thiago hits really hard. He’s a bit akward too so Kosheck needs to watch out the entire fight.

Still…

Kos by TKO and setting up a fight with the winner of Fitch vs. Alves(If Fitch gets passed Pierce) for the next #1 contender.

• benjammin says:

edub: However I also believe that GSP-Hardy is a good fight in that Hardy beat the number 1 contender in his last bout and is still undefeated in the UFC.

do you think hardy will have a chance as soon as gsp takes him down? which will most likely happen in the first two minutes at most

• xtreme_machine says:

Makington:

What are you talking about dude?

• benjammin says:

is it really going to come down to fitch, alves, or kos against gsp again? theres got to be someone out there who can test him that hasnt already had a chance

• Makington says:

xtreme_machine:
    What are you talking about dude?

Type powerthirst in youtube. When you capitalize every last word in your sentence it sounds like that guy to me. Not an insult, I just thought it was funny.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t think that the first fight was a fluke, I think that the ref stopped the fight too early.

Kos definitely got caught and went down pretty hard, but he was not out or not defending himself. He was sitting up with his hands at the ready to stop anything, but if I remember right, it was a fairly new ref and he jumped in immediately and stopped it.

This time I see the fight going a bit differently as both fighters have matured and grown in the game. I think Kos will be a little more careful with Thiago’s unorthodox standup, and may even try taking him to the ground. If it does end up on the ground, Kos will have to be very careful to avoid submissions. We’ve seen him power out of several, but it only takes one mistake at this level to end your night.

• Rich S. says:

If this fight goes anything like the last one did, Koscheck will win via Knockout.
    We all know he got clipped, but leading up to that, Thiago’s shots were slow and telegraphed, and Kos was doing whatever he wanted on the feet..

Kos’ wrestling is amazing, and it should keep him from getting submitted, but if anyone in this division CAN submit him, it’s Paulo Thiago.. Assuming this fight goes to the ground, although I doubt it will, Kos really needs to be careful..

• moosebaby02 says:

I dont like kos. the first fight between these two was kos kicking the crap out of Thiago and then getting clipped

Makington i couldnt agree with you more on all your points. to be God in this situation would be great
    xtreme
    as much as this article has nothing to do with Hardy I will address that yes 4-0 in the UFC with one decsion win and TWO split decsion wins and one ko over a nobody Markham dosent mean you should get a title shot. kos was wrong with his comments from his point of view at the time but from a logic point of view he is damn right. plus in the big picture of it all it will sell tickets in the long run so you wont see the UFC crying any time soon. with all the guys that were going down hardy was just in the right place in the right time for the fat cats to make some cash before the put GSP vs Fitch Alves and Kos part 2. put this way Ben Saunders is 4-1 in the UFC and finshes fights. it still be a good fight to watch. like i said before….every champion needs a tune up fight after an ingury.
    Back to Kos. He will keep it standing like last time but will put an end to this one this time. Ya Thaigo has bjj but from what i saw from kos vs rumble is that kos is really really good at wrestling.
    Kos by ko in the 2nd

• matt says:

xtreme_machine: i meant TWO fightsin addition Frank Trigg is DONEand Johnson is too GREEN

Trigg might not be the same he was years ago, and johnson might be a little green, but both of those guys would beat Gono, Markham, Davis, and possibly Swick. Kos has fought the better competition and has the better overall skill set. Im not saying I want to see Kos get the shot over Hardy, im just saying that I dont think that Hardy deserves a title shot. Hardy has not beaten any top contenders as I dont believe Swick was a top contender. Personally with the bad blood boiling between the two, I would love to see them fight, I believe Kos would take him down and maul him until the ref pulled him off but Hardy is one of the rare welterweights in the UFC who has a good record and has yet to fight GSP.

• FightFan313 says:

Kos won’t make the same mistake. Kos by KO or submission in the second.

• Beau Fury says:

I think that, while not a fluke, Thiago’s TKO of Koscheck was very unexpected… I do believe that there is no way Koscheck looses this rematch. I think Koscheck will come out and either beat Thiago on the ground or try and KO him as payback!!!

• fanoftna33 says:

• Makington says:

fanoftna33: One thing I would like to see after this fight( if Kos wins) is Kos getting a title shot but having GSP vs Kos on the next season of TUF, instead of Tito and Forrest.

Although TUF is a great way of building hype for the fight, I don’t like that idea. The champs are already mostly injured, and I’d hate to see the WW belt tied up for 8 months for the show. Also, GSP is too nice of a guy to make it really entertaining. Admit it fellas, we love when they get in eachothers faces and try every episode to derail the other (Rampage/Rashad) Kos would be very fun to watch on the show, since you KNOW he would try to get under GSP’s skin, but it probably wouldn’t happen.

I would love, however, to see the arguments him and Dan Hardy would get into if they were coaches. I don’t believe Hardy is in any way deserving of coaching but they’d make a good show together.