Robbie Lawler awaits opponent announcement for December 19 “Strikeforce: Evolution”

robbie lawlerTaking the wind right out of the sails of mixed martial arts fans that never had a chance to get excited about the prospect of the match-up, it looks like Benji Radach is out of a planned “Strikeforce: Evolution” bout with Robbie Lawler, leaving the former EliteXC middleweight champion without an opponent for the event according to a recent report on Sherdog.com.

Apparently Radach hasn’t been cleared to begin training again according to his manager Ken Pavia, citing a recent surgery to Benji’s right hand as the reason for his time away from the gym.

The good news is that Lawler is still expected to compete during the event which has been scheduled for December 19 from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California, according to his manager Monte Cox, with an announcement of his opponent for the card coming in the coming days according to Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker.

The bout will be Lawler’s first return to action since the guillotine choke loss suffered at the hands of current Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields in June of this year. Prior to the bout with Shields the UFC veteran hadn’t seen defeat in his previous six fights, notching wins over the likes of Joey Villasenor, Frank Trigg and Scott Smith along the way.

• Dufresne says:

That sucks, I was really looking forward to that match.

Oh well, whoever they find to fight, we know Robbie will take the match and come to bang as he always has. He may not be the most technical fighter in the world, but he is always worth watching and never has a boring fight.

• Jstew3785 says:

Not really giving him much time to prepare for a specific opponent. Glad to see him back in action though.

• Nick Havok says:

I can’t wait to see Robbie Lawler back in action…and after that that loss, I bet he is just chomping at the bit to cave someone’s face in.

I mean how frustrating is it to have to walk back to the locker room with full energy and knowing you were just choked out by a lower weight fighter. I bet that just tore him apart inside…and I feel sorry for whoever he takes it out on.

Too bad benji Radach is out. That would have been a great stand-up fight! There would be bombs galore in that one….oh well, maybe someday soon. Get well soon, Benji.

• xtreme_machine says:

This is what is wrong with Strikeforce and Dream

they anounce most of thier fights really late

that is both bad for business and the fighters

• edub says:

Personally Id like to see him get a rematch with any three of the guys who SF has that beat him. I still think he is better than all three, and just needs one more chance to prove it. None would take the fight you would think considering how late notice it is. I really hope someone half way decent steps up to fight him, but I dont really think it would be fair to them if they did. Lawler is insanely powerful and anyone that goes up against him would have the risk of having their jaw wired shut for a while.

Maybeeee Joe Doerksen?

• Rich S. says:

I still think he has all the tools to keep it standing and knock Shields out..
    After all, he wasn’t ON THE GROUND when he got submitted (if I remember correctly).

And what ever happened to that rematch with Smokin’ Joey Villasenor?

I wouldn’t mind seeing either of those fights right now..

Also, the Mayhem and Diaz rematches are interesting too..

• Jak says:

Yeah, that is a crappy fight to lose and it will be hard to find somebody to step up and not just somebody off the street.

Hopefully they can make it happen.

• edub says:

Rich S.: And what ever happened to that rematch with Smokin’ Joey Villasenor?

That would be pretty sweet. I think that would be best case scenario right now.

• Rich S. says:

Wow, I just checked and Lawler/Villasenor 2 was actually supposed to take place LAST November for the title.. But, the card was cancelled due to large amounts of debt, and as we all know, EliteXC folded shortly after..

This would actually be a great fight..
    Lawler is coming off a title fight loss that broke a 6 fight win streak, and Joey has 4 wins and a tilte fight in his last 5..

That aside, these guys have history, and there’s bad blood between the two..

And I’m assuming Joey is fresh, his last fight being in June..

Now that I think about it, This fight HAS to happen..

• crpwrply says:

What about a fight with Rosholt? I hear he’s been cut from the UFC…..

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Rua or Villasenor 2 Please.
    If not how about Maia or Cote or…oh thats right the UFC wont let that happen.

• saerbarnet says:

Strikeforce is looking more and more like a b-level promotion when it comes to getting fighters worthy opponents well in advance, Giving Robbie Lawler a good opponent with 18 days to prepare for it is not really optimal for anyone is it?

• MMASwami says:

Diaz rematch. 100% guaranteed.

• hindsightufuk says:

i would love to see Diaz/Lawler rematch, love both those guys

• Jstew3785 says:

• Nick Havok says:

hindsightufuk: i would love to see Diaz/Lawler rematch, love both those guys

That rematch would be sick!

I would definitely be rooting for Nick if that were to happen. He is one of my top 3 favorite fighters and I became an instant fan when he dropped Robbie in their previous encounter.

I mean that was just awesome!

At the time I thought Robbie was a rather cocky and brash fellow…I loved seeing him get crumpled dead center in the middle of the Octogon by a punch.

Make this rematch happen!

• Nick Havok says:

Jstew3785: Serious question: Would Diaz be “ready” to fight in 18 days? You guys know what I’m talking about

18 days should be plenty of time to clear his system…even if he is smoking the good, good stuff.

Considering how much cardio (sweating) Nick does and his already low body fat, it shouldn’t take but 2 weeks at the most for him to be clean.

• fanoftna33 says:

• Nick Havok says:

fanoftna33: Lawler vs Diaz 2 would be great if they can get Nick to fight. I think though this one would go to Robbie as fighting at 185 gives him a power advantage imo. If Diaz can get him to the ground at all though he takes it.

I don’t know, Bro.

I would have given the power edge to Scott Smith over Nick Diaz too…and look what Nick did in that fight.

He completely annihilated Smith.

As a matter of fact, I would give almost everyone the power advantage over Nick Diaz. But it really doesn’t matter to much when he is hitting you 7-8 times for every 1 time you hit him.

Not to mention, Diaz has a concrete chin, can eat those huge shots and has yet to be knocked out.

Heck, has anyone even rocked him yet?

• Jak says:

As i read somewhere else,

Why not Melvin Manouef? He’s always game for a stand up fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

• Nick Havok says:

Jak: As i read somewhere else,Why not Melvin Manouef? He’s always game for a stand up fight.

OMG…Lawler vs. Manhoef would be effin crazy!

I would look forward to that as much as I would a rematch with Diaz…maybe even more so.

• Nick Havok says:

fanoftna33: Gomi dropped him in thier fight a few years ago but the only guy to ever truly rock Diaz is Jeramy Jackson, he got a tko but Diaz was out, I belive it was the finals of a tournament back in 02, held outside and very cold as you could see the fighters breath as they fought but Jackson had him down and landed about 8-12 unanswered bombs to the face, thats the only time I have seen him rocked badly.

Yeah…I spoke a little prematurely when I said Nick has never been rocked before.

I totally forgot about his fight with KJ Noons.

I’d say KJ rocked him pretty good as well…at least those knees to the face did. Damn those were brutal! Cut Nick up like Ginsu knives.

• fanoftna33 says:

I completly forgot about K J!

• hindsightufuk says: