Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira moved to UFC 110 (Updated)

Antonio Rodrigo NogueiraAfter a case of staph infection recently forced Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira out of his anticipated heavyweight showdown with Cain Velasquez, it now appears the two championship contenders will lock horns at UFC 110.

The news of the recent shifting of the bout comes courtesy of a recent report from MMAJunkie.com.

UFC 110 is expected for February and will mark the first time the promotion ventures to Australia.

The two had previously been scheduled to face off during the main event of UFC 108 slated for January 2, but luckily Nogueira must feel optimistic enough to compete just one month later.

Velasquez will be looking to build upon his undefeated record and his most recent victories over respected heavyweights in Ben Rothwell and Cheick Kongo, while Nogueira is coming off of his electrifying war waged with Randy Couture in which he was awarded with the decision, following the disappointing TKO defeat at the hands of Frank Mir.

• thunder okami says:

Wow i really hope theyre doing the right thing here, with the faith that Nog wont have to pull out again

• nate says:

happy thanksgiving everyone. :-) this is a ballsy move by joe silva! its a really tough opponent for both guys climbing to a title shot. i think its a great fight for both men. i understand how some peope think cain should have the shot already. or how cain vs dos santos should happen for next title shot behind carwin or whatever but if this fight happens ill watch and be on the edge of my seat.

• submit662266 says:

Personally, I would have rather seen Cain fight Carwin for an interim belt. Definitely a dangerous fight for both guys. This is tough. . . both are elite level, I hate to see either of them lose, but this will be a great fight.

• Connor Cobain says:

People act like this is going to be hard for Nog. Cain is a developing striker with the ground being his biggest advantage, that advantage is sorely lost when fighting a Nogueira. I’m looking for Nog to set him up with some beautiful strikes take him to the canvas and submit him.

• hindsightufuk says:

yup, as long as Nog is healthy, i’d fancy him to win this one. its a great fight tho, i love it

• KTru says:

And just like that Joe Silva puts this intriguing match together.
    Nog is better in every aspect, but I am not discounting Cain…..

however this will be another Nogueira-come-from-behind-from-the-brink-of-defeat-victory

• moosebaby02 says:

Cain is no joke but Cobain put it best.
    Nog 3rd sub

• PLANETSTOMP says:

I AM A HUGE FAN OF NOG-BUT CAIN IS GOING TO PUT A WHOOPING ON HIM-MY PREDICTION-CAIN BY SECOND ROUND TKO

• Makington says:

Imo, Nogueira looked extremely healthy this past weekend with his brother. He was running around the ring screaming like a lunatic after his twin won. Overall I’m just glad we get too see this fight relatively soon. I can’t really pick a winner, since I have changed my mind almost everyday by now. Today I’m giving Nogueira the edge, but tomorrow I’ll probably be all over Cain. Actually I might stick with Nog. Cain definitely won’t want to box all 3 rounds, and when he goes to the ground, 15 minutes is a long time not to make a mistake. I think it will only be a matter of time until Nog takes one of Cain’s arms home with him.

On another note, has this been pegged as the main event? I guess it’s pretty main event worthy if they have a solid main card to back it up but obviously I’d like to see more of a blockbuster main event.

• FightFan313 says:

I can easlily see this one going the distance. Cain is not going to gas out and Nog won’t knock out Cain. Great fight. Cain is so very persistant. If Cain can avoid the Sub, he could pull out a decision. This is going to be a really good fight. I give to win the Velazquez via split decision.

• xtreme_machine says:

Is UFC 110

in australia

• Rich S. says:

Where does this leave the imminent interim bout?

Dos Santos vs. Carwin?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Nog by arm bar or triangle. Bad fight for Valasquez in my opinion. What Cain is good at doing (putting fighters on their backs) is exactly what Nog wants. The only guy to ever beat Nog from that position is Fedor and Valasquez is no Fedor (yet) and Nog is now a little better than he was then I think.