Wanderlei Silva vs. Michael Bisping set for Australia in February

bispingIt’s going to be the UK vs. Brazil as a middleweight showdown of epic proportions has been set for the UFC’s debut in Australia, expected for February of 2010.

According to a recent report from FightersOnly.com, Wanderlei Silva will be facing Michael Bisping. Apparently both fighters have verbally agreed to the proposed match-up, although no bout agreements have been finalized as of this time.

Bisping, who is coming off of possibly his best performance to date, won by TKO over highly touted Denis Kang at UFC 105. “The Count” is currently 4-1 since moving down to the 185 lb. division, with his only loss coming at the hands of Dan Henderson.

Silva, who’s last UFC appearance was a close decision loss to former champion Rich Franklin, will be making his debut in the middleweight division. “The Axe Murderer” has been inactive since UFC 99 due to recovering from surgery to remove scar tissue around his eyes.

Silva was originally thought to face off against Yoshihiro Akiyama at the Australia event, but was shot down by Dana White following UFC 106.

Bisping and Silva were rumored at one time to fight at UFC 105, but was quickly squashed once the legendary Brazilian fighter confirmed his surgery.

• thunder okami says:

Aw =( was really looking forward to the akiyama fight much more…

• xtreme_machine says:

poor akiyama, but i like this one better

Can you say another Hendo like KO?

I say, even better.

• Connor Cobain says:

• nate says:

wow. i feel dumb for never even thinking that fight a possibility! i love it. it lets you know where both guys stand. does wand still got it? or is bisping a serious contender.

• Dufresne says:

As good as Bisping looked in his last outing, I have to go with xtreme here and say he’s gonna get caught. His camp knew he was circling the wrong way against Hendo and they told him to quit it repeatedly in the match, and who knows how often in training, but he didn’t and got KO’d.

I see Wandy using the age and treachery card over youth and exuberance. Oh and his vicious right hand might help as well.

• FightFan313 says:

Silva will absolutely pummel Bisbing

• s00nertp says:

Great match-up Dana!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant wait……………………………………………………………………………………go WAND!

• Makington says:

Connor Cobain: Dammit this fight is not what I was hoping for, Wanderlei needs a win and Bisping is a much harder test then Sexyama is. I think Wandy can pull this off but honestly it’ll be harder than what Wandy needs right now.

Good point sir. If anyone needs a win badly it’s Wanderlei, and I believe Bisping will pose some serious threats. Mike would be an idiot to box Wanderlei the whole fight, especially after Henderson, and I think he will try to fight a smart, ground related fight.

I would also have to give some props to Bisping, although I never thought I’d be saying this. It takes some serious guts to get into the ring against arguably the best knockout artist of all time with Hendo still fresh in everyone’s mind.

Even though I am giving Bisping major props on this, I’m still hoping that Wanderlei can come back to form and leave Bisping wondering what happened while the doctors are checking him for injuries.

• Makington says:

And there’s still plenty of good fights that Akiyama can take. Give him Patrick Cote, or Chael Sonnen, and if he can beat either of them, you’ll be looking at a top 10 middleweight fighter.

• Rich S. says:

Look, I’m as much a Wandy fan as the next guy, but why is it that whenever a Wandy fight is announced, everyone picks him as the victor via brutal knockout?

I remember this happening back when he was getting ready to fight Rampage again.. Everyone thought he was going to totally destroy him and I was wondering why..

So far, the only thing he’s shown in the UFC is that he’s HALF of what he used to be.. He used to pick guys apart with all kinds of strikes.. Now he has two things and two things only in his arsenal.. Looping right hook, and looping left hook..

I hope and pray that this move to Middleweight is what Wandy needs to be a force in the UFC.. And, now that Bisping has promised to be his old self, Wandy very well could catch him..

But, if this fight would’ve taken place just a fight or two earlier in Bisping’s career, Wandy would’ve never even hit him…

I’ve said it a thousand times and I’ll say it again, and I really wish I could just slap Wandy in the face and say it to him.. Use your knees, Wand.. Use your knees..

• Niv says:

Rich S. I agree with you as Wandy is maybe half of what he used to be in Pride. Wandy was well on his way down before he came to the UFC and now he’s gone from being the Axe Murderer to a one dimensional fighter.

Having said that, I don’t see Bisping as being in his league still and I do expect Bisping to get taken out.

If Wandy can’t beat this guy he needs to call it quits, as much as it pains me to accept this.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

ITS PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT STEROIDS HAD PLAYED A MAJOR PART IN THE SUCCES OF PRIDE-TOO BAD-ANYWAYS-THAT BEING SAID-I WILL GO OUTSIDE THE BOX HERE AND DECLARE BISPING THE WINNER BY JABBING AND RUNNING-BISPING BY SPLIT DECISION-YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST

• xtreme_machine says:

People do not forget that Wandy trains with Maia and if The Cunt wants to take him down he will get sumited

so Bisbing will hit and run in circles until BOOM he get KO Again.

• danw84 says:

Man, I haven’t said anything yet, but I keep noticing it and it’s frustrating…

PLANETSTOMP, caps lock does not make your point any stronger or more interesting.

• Angry Mike says:

Interesting match up between two strikers. Bisping is faster and has better kicks, but Silva has more power. Bisping will stick and move, and Silva will try to cut off the ring and hope to catch him with a big punch. At this point in his career I don’t think Silva’s chin is as good as Henderson’s, so Bisping has a better chance for a ko win. Imo, the likeliest outcome is a decision win for Bisping.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

SO SORRY TO HURT YOUR FEMINE FEELINGS-GET OVER IT YOU LITLLE CLOSET HOMO

• PLANETSTOMP says:

WHAT-SPEAK ENGLISH

• PLANETSTOMP says:

AND FURTHERMORE-STOP HATIN-BE REAL-ITS ABOUT TIME YOU ALL REALIZE WHAT TIME IT IS

• PLANETSTOMP says:

BACK AGAIN-WHAT-OBVIOUS-ANYWAYS-HOLLA

• submit662266 says:

Wow!!! I guess the aussies want to see a Brit get his ass handed to him. Great match-up. I was going to say Bisping may be quicker, but why bother. Bisping is going to experience deja-vu, waking up in the Octagon with an ice-pack on his neck, asking his corner what happened.

I also hope Wandy returns to form as a MW.

• BigDave says:

this is a great fight with two guys that are good strikers. Bisping would do well to use movement and change angles, if he tries to slug it out I think he will get Thumped. If I was to make a prediction on this fight I would say Bisping may have a better gas tank and there for pull out a late tko or split decision.

• MMApride19 says:

Im from the UK, and i am a very big fan of Bisping. However, i am a HUGE fan of Wanderlei. And i honestly would like to see Wanderlei win alot more than Bisping. However, without letting who i like more judge who i think will win the fight… I think this is a far more dangerous fight for Bisping than it is for Wanderlei. Denis Kang is NO Wanderlei Silva. Wanderlei Silva is the next step up for Bisping, infact i put Wanderlei on the same level as Hendo. So again.. Bisping is being tested against a world class fighter. Wanderlei may not be AS good as he used to be, but he is most definetly not ‘past it’. And at MW… he is going to be pretty huge compared to other fighters. I think this drop in weight may be what it takes for Wanderlei to return to his dominating roots. However… only time will tell. And this fight against Bspg will determine how well he will do in the MW division IMO.

I honestly doubt we will see Bisping KO or even TKO Wanderlei. It could happen, but its highly unlikely. Bisping would need to have a similiar gameplan as Franklin did when he fought Silva. Bisping is a very tough fighter, and IMO he has proved himself in the UFC, but not as a top contender. If he beats Wanderlei, he definetly qualifies himself as a top contender in my eyes. However, i dont see it going that way. I see Wanderlei winning, and winning decisevely. I even think Wandy would win the decision, IF it goes that far. As we all know.. the Franklin fight was very close. I see Wanderlei countering Bisping, catching him big, and finishing him off. He has had a much needed break from fighting. IMO i think he is going to comeback in far better shape, as he has had alot of time to settle in to his new weight. So conditioning shouldnt be an issue. As always… Wanderlei will be aggressive, and i think it will be a bit too much for Bisping. If he gets caught by Wanderlei as he did by Kang… he is more than likely getting finished. Wanderlei is one of the best finishers in the business.

It annoys me when people say Wandy has completely ‘past it’. I really dont think he has. He continues to put on great performances, against THE BEST fighters. Fair enough, he doesnt win them all, but they are close (apart from the Rampage fight). But he still competes against the top fighters. And destroys the middle tier fighters ( eg.Jardine). I class Bisping as a mid tier fighter. And im predicting a similiar outcome as the Hendo fight. Wanderlei will stalk Bisping… Pressure him, and eventually catch him. I will honestly be shocked if Bisping wins, infact probebly a little more upset for Wandy!!! As i really want to see him tear through the MW division (even though i dont think he could beat Anderson Silva, but a fight between the two would be epic).

Even though Wandy isnt what he used to be, he is still a notch above Bisping IMO, and is going to prove himself in the MW division.

• moosebaby02 says:

I love when people go out of the box and pick the underdogg then IF it happens “YOU HEARD IT HEAR FIRST-YOU HEARD HERE FIRST”
    I have to go with the Axe Man on this one. The only thing Bisbing might have an advantage in is cardio. If he can keep it dancing into the 3rd then he has a chance.
    Dont see it happening though

• thedudex says:

haha awesome, I can’t wait to see Bisping get his head knocked off again. he’s got nothing on Wand.

• Niv says:

PLANET STOMP I’m curious why do you and others think that steroids was the reason that Pride was such a success?

Wanderlei SIlva was on a well documented decline before he came to the UFC, so if he was on steroids it had no effect still. He had lost something like 3 of his last 5 fights in Pride so I really don’t know what you’re talking about.

Also if we look closely at ex-Pride fighters in the UFC we see nothing but success. Anderson Silva is unbeaten in the Octagon, Rampage Jackson won the LHW title, Big Nog was HW champ at one point, and in my opinion is still the best HW in the UFC. Shogun Rua should be the current LHW champ and I think he’ll be officially crowned after his re-match, and Dan Henderson’s two losses in the octagon are to a couple of ex-Pride fighters.

I think this Pride vs UFC thing has had it’s run and should be done with. If you actually are objective about it the Pride fighters who cam to the UFC have definitely made their mark.

• thedudex says:

I agree with what Niv is saying. Alot of the ex pride guys have done well in the UFC. But i can understand a bit where the whole roid thing comes from. Seems to me that their are certainly fighters fighting in Japan right now that would need to detox big time before even thinking about fighting anywhere there are drug tests (ie; allister overeem,) Josh barnett being another one… he does pretty well when he has his go go juice… but you saw how well that went for him last time he tried to fight in NA. Thats also not to say these guys aren’t good fighters without the roids, but I’m sure it helps.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

LIKE I SAID EARLIER-BISPING BY RUN AND JAB

• PLANETSTOMP says:

AS FAR AS MY COMMENTS BEING DELETED-WHATS UP WITH THAT-JUST READ SOME OF THESE BONEHEADS-POLITICS ON A WEB PAGE-COME ON

• PLANETSTOMP says:

HEY NIX-IT WAS JUST A THOUGHT-I THINK IF YOU LOOK AT IT WITH AN UNBLIND EYE-YOU WILL REALIZE THAT THERE WAS A LOT OF STEROID USE BACK IN THE DAY OF THE PRIDE-CHECK THE RECORD

• PLANETSTOMP says:

STOP DELETING MY COMMENTS-THIS IS STILL AMERICA-AS FAR AS CAPS GO-I FIND IT EASIER TO READ-HOLLA

• moosebaby02 says:

no one is deleting your comments. with enough thumbs down wich is alot when it comes to you the site just wont show them.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

LEARN HOW TO SPELL-I HAPPEN TO LIKE MOST OF WHAT YOU TYPE MOOSE-WHY THE HATE

• moosebaby02 says:

not hateing my friend just telling you how it is and yes i suck at spelling

• Ryan Seacrest says:

I like the comment of a loss at the hands of Dan Henderson, it should read the Right Hand of Dan Henderson.

Anyway I just hope that its a good fight with plenty of exchanges by either fighter. Bisping looked good against Kane but you have all that have said it he is no Wandi. I could see this being a very blood match up between both fighters but feel that Wandi has the better chin than Bisping and I don’t think Bisping has quite the power to knock Wandi out.

The only thing that makes me worry is that if they stand up and box, will the surgery that Wandi had to remove the scar tissue hold up?

All in all it will be an exciting fight

Seacrest Out!

• Niv says:

PLANESTOM I did read your comments, if you are as good at english comprehension as you are at spelling, I asked what does steroids and Pride’s success have to do with it?

Your post suggests that Wandy was a beast because of steroids and he clearly wasn’t the same guy before he came to the UFC, so once again what did roids have to do with Pride’s success?

How can you explain the achievements of current ex-Pride stars in the UFC as they are all tested now?

I don’t deny that many fighters probably used steroids but your comments don’t entirely add up here, nothing to do with blinders.

• nope says:

Boot this fuckin TROLL please.

• Porsche930_Pilot says:

Oh yea I can’t wait to see this slimy limey get knocked out again. If he wasn’t such an arrogant mouth piece I’m sure he’d have allot more respect. But it is what it is and the only ” Count ” will be as in out for the. Can’t wait.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

HEY NIV-T THINK YOU ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION-AS FAR AS NOPE GOES-HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PRINT HIS COMMENT-I MEAN THE GUY IS CUSSING-ANYWAYS-BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND-BISPING BY WAY OF RUNNING AND GUNNING