The Aftermath: UFC 106

ufc 106 2What do you do with Tito Ortiz now? Well if it was up to me, here’s what I would do. I scrap the whole Axe Murderer vs. Sexyama fight. Nobody outside of Japan and a small portion of the hardcore community wants to see Silva fight Akiyama anyways. No, here’s what you do; scrap that fight, and book Tito vs. Wanderlei II. Both guys coming off of losses, this rematch has been a long time coming.

Did anyone else catch Josh Koscheck just completely disrespect his own teammate following his submission victory over Anthony Johnson? His comments to Joe Rogan are below:

I know there’s somebody here that thinks he’s the No. 1 contender. He thinks he’s the No. 1 contender, and I don’t think he’s fought anybody, and he’s sitting right over there and his name is Dan Hardy. He hasn’t fought anyone like me, guaranteed. I’m the number one contender in this weight division.

It’s all fine and dandy to look out for your own best interests in getting a crack at the title, but I don’t see any reason to throw your friend’s under the bus in doing it. Obviously Hardy just fought and beat Mike Swick; Mike Swick, friend and longtime training partner to Josh Koscheck at the American Kickboxing Academy is San Jose.

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira has arrived and every single UFC light heavyweight has been put on notice. There’s not a single fighter at 205 pounds that I feel would have an easy night with Lil Nog. He made beating the stuffing out of Luiz Cane look easy. It looked like a top level mixed martial artist teaching someone making their professional debut a lesson in humility. Obviously that wasn’t the case, but that’s what it looked like. Looked like something I’d see on MTV’s Bully Beatdown rather than how I expected the fight to unfold.

On that note, it is in my personal opinion that Cane would be much better served if he gave the 185 pound division some serious consideration. I’m no nutritionist but I’m just going to take a chance in stating that I firmly believe that Cane could not only make the cut to middleweight, but he’d be much more effective at the weight. He’d be taking punches from men that aren’t naturally larger than him and I also feel his speed would benefit from the switch while his punching power would remain, or perhaps increase with the combination of more speed in the mix.

Does Phil Baroni train for a single five minute round or what? Honestly? Phil has long been one of my favorite fighters to watch throw down……. for about three or four minutes, but I can’t remember the man looking fresh at the start of a second round…. eva. Take his fight with Sadollah at UFC 106 for example; First round: Baroni comes out and lays it all out there, as usual; Second round: Phil comes out, throws two haymakers that wiff, and it’s all downhill from there. Baroni can thank his chin and Amir’s lack of a huge punch for making it to the final bell.

Does Ben Saunders have the most dangerous clinch in the business right now? While that may be a little bit of a stretch, the question deserves to be asked after giving Brandon Wolff a second forehead via knees in the clinch during their meeting and crushing Marcus Davis on Saturday evening with the same technique. Of course the two Silva’s, Anderson and Wanderlei, are both well respected for their clinch game but it seems like Saunders now deserves the same type of fear and respect that those two bring to the table.

Two things that struck me as REALLY odd with Jake Rosholt’s performance in his triangle defeat at the legs of Kendall Grove: First off, I may be crazy, but it sure looked like Rosholt was beginning to tire, or dare I say gas when Kendall sunk the choke in. Secondly, it looked like Jake tapped out REALLY early . I didn’t see him try to wiggle out of the hold once and he was tapping Grove’s thigh before Kendall even had a chance to pull Rosholt’s head down. It looked like one of those sparring taps. One of those taps you get used to when you get caught during practice, but there should definitely be a different standard when it comes to the big show.

I am officially a converted Brian Foster fan. Don’t get me wrong, his previous fight in the UFC with Ricky Story was about as brutal as it gets but the fact that he got caught in a MOUNTED arm-triangle left me in a position where I could see Foster on his way out of the UFC following what I was convinced would be a loss at the hands of Brock Larson. Obviously that was not the case on Saturday evening as Foster gave more than he got in a consecutive back and forth war in the Octagon, putting a beating on Larson that had the respected veteran tapping the canvas in submission. Not only did Foster show that he could beat a very legitimate welterweight in Larson, but more importantly in my eyes, he showed that he puts it all on the line every time out. For the first time ‘I can safely say that I am anxiously awaiting the announcement of Foster’s next bout.

• fanoftna33 says:

Saunders looked great for this fight but nothing about the two late punches while the ref was trying to get him off Marcus?

• Scott H. says:

Hi Cory. Good article! I was mostly nodding my head in agree with you, but I couple of things jumped out at me.

If Wanderlei really wants to fight at 185, a fight with Tito, while it might be entertaining for us, would do nothing for his career.

The big question for me was what happened to Tito in the 3rd? Did he break a rib, or does he really have another back issue? He was doing as close to nothing as possible, something had to be wrong.

Some fights I really want to see after watching UFC 106 are:
    Baroni against Marcus Davis.
    Saunders against Chris Little (another big, strong WW who will throw down with him).
    Little Nog against Forest. The winner would be close to a number one condender for a title shot.

• nate says:

as for wand vs Tito? do it! I’d love to see silva back in the win column and Tito back to hawking fight gear.

I totally agree as I pointed out that night about kos’ remarks about his teammate heat of the moment or not the first thing that came to your mind was your friend was a nobody in the division.. :-/

as for rosholt’s quick tap I’m more likely to believe something was pinching on his throat or rather his adams’ apple was being crushed immediately and hurting him rather than him being a bitch for not trying to work out of it.

Brian foster is among the people I now look forward to watching after his dominant win over a much more seasoned fighter who pulled out some grimer techniques and he still pounded Larson into thee most humiliating way to lose in mma…tapping from strikes. well played good sir!

• nate says:

just a thought. scrap the akiyama/wand fight. let Luis cane fight akiyama at 185 and have Tito fight wand at any weight really. I just want Tito out of the cage. he is annoying, whiny, and bad sport about losing on the flip side if he wins he’d be calling out the world saying the old Tito is back and he wants a title shot blah blah. I’m sick of him again after one fight.

• Dufresne says:

Scott H.: Which of course puts us right back to square one with the what to do with Tito question, and I don’t know. Let him disapear for 6 months to try and get healthy, then put him in a meaningless, but entertaining fight. Ortiz/Franklin anyone?

I don’t see that working out well for Ortiz at all. We’ve seen how well Ortiz does against fighters with good take down defense that also through nasty body kicks, and it’s not pretty.

Scott H.: Some fights I really want to see after watching UFC 106 are:
    Baroni against Marcus Davis.

I like where your head is on this. The only one I would be questionable with would be Baroni v Davis. Davis is pretty hard to KO, and he also comes for 3 rounds every time. Which is something Baroni seems to have trouble with (understatement).

I’m looking forward to whoever the stack Little Nog against next, especially since it looks like he hasn’t missed a step since I last saw him fight for Affliction.
    I’m wondering how it would play out if he ever made it to a title contention if Machida is still holding the belt since they are training partners.

• edub says:

Another good aftermath.

Its official. IM still a fan of Kos, but both him and Ortiz lost some respect from me after they fought. Kos for throwing shitting on his teammate, and Tito for simply being a little bitch. Seriously Tito I know you were champion at a very young age but it is time for you to grow the fuck up. You show glimpses of a mature sensible human being, and that all gets thrown out the window after the cracked skull heard round the world.

Fights that I think need to happen now.
    Lil Nog vs. Griffin: Perfect timing. Perfect contender levels. Perfect style for each other. Main event worthy.
    Sadollah vs. Saunders: I think everyone will think this is a lock for Saunders but I wouldnt be so sure. Sadollah also has a very good clinch and it would be interesting who’s is better. My feel is Amirs time in Taiwan would give Saunders some wrinkles, and Saunders sheer strength would throw Amir off a lot.

• edub says:

hit submit too soon…

Baroni vs. Davis: Two guys who have good boxing. Would be fun to see either win by KO because both are usually very tough to finish.

Tito vs. Liddell: Last night proved that there is no new Tito. Just the same guy that says one thing going into fights and makes nothing but excuses after they are over. I think Chucks fall has definately made this a more “fair” fight, and Chuck doesnt have to worry about being KOd. It would sell like crazy too.

Cane vs. the loser of Rashad/Silva: I think Cane is fine at 205. I just think fighting one of his idols threw his game off. He said in many interviews how much respect he had for lil Nog. I still think he is developing.

• I’m not a fan of the Ortiz/Wandy fantasy booking. Wandy wants to drop to 185, let him. And besides, we already saw that fight in Japan when it was Wandy/Arona.

And yeah, it was pretty funny hearing Kos “clarify” his statement after inadvertantly putting Swick down!

The 205 division should have been on notice since Zuffa announced Lil’ Nog’s signing. Dude has only lost three times and all have been against legit competition (well, maybe not Sokoudjou but dude IS dangerous in the first three minutes).

Tell me, Cory… was Baroni’s performance electrifying? 😉

• edub says:

Sergio Hernandez: we already saw that fight in Japan when it was Wandy/Arona.

Pretty funny.

Sergio Hernandez: Tell me, Cory… was Baroni’s performance electrifying?

Yes Cory was it electrifying??

• Rich S. says:

First off, I think if Tito can actually get to 100% and train appropriately, he can make a very good run in this division. Apparently, GETTING to 100% is the problem, though. Also, didn’t Tito used to fight as a Middleweight? He may be too big now, but that would add a HUGE twist to his career right now..

As cocky and disrespectful as Koscheck is, he is a top contender in this division, and I he think he should be fighting Dan Hardy next..

I can’t even explain how happy I am that Rogerio not only made a successful Octagon debut, but did it in devastating fashion against a top fighter in his division.. It’s a shame this division is kind of locked up right now, what with the title fight that’s already scheduled for next year, and Rashad and Thiago duking it out for contention, otherwise, I think Rogerio would be a fight or two away from a title shot.. That brings up another question, does anyone know Rogerio’s views on fighting Lyoto?
    And another thought, HOW FREAKING AMAZING WOULD ROGERIO VS. SHOGUN 2 FOR THE TITLE BE?!

As far as Cane goes, I think it’s a little too soon to be talking about moving down for him.. He’s still a very dangerous fighter, he just lost to a top 10 fighter in his division.. Don’t forget the other fighters he’s dominated at this weight class.. With that said, should he make the decision, I think he would be devastating at Middleweight..

Yes, Phil Baroni has embarrassing cardio, and that will never change.. Every single loss on his record came because of his cardio.. If he WANTED to, he could get it under control, but he doesn’t.. He wants to be that guy that goes out and throws bombs for a minute or two, just to please the fans.. I don’t know why, it sure doesn’t please me. If anything, it annoys me..

Ben Saunders certainly has ONE OF the most dangerous clinches out there right now.. I knew he was freakishly huge for this division, but for some reason, I didn’t think about his power.. The control he had over Davis in that clinch was terrifying.. Even when Davis got some separation he couldn’t get out.. Also, Saunders’ kicks are unstoppable.. It’ll be interesting to see how his style plays out against a strong wrestler.. Still, his bottom game is sick too and it’ll be hard for ANYONE to control him, especially after he’s learned from his loss to Swick..

And yes, Rosholt’s tap was extremely quick.. Sometimes fighters want a way out without just quitting.. Maybe all those early slams really tired him out, and he didn’t want to go another two rounds..

• Dufresne says:

Rich S. I’m hiring you an editor to shorten your posts lol.
    Good points though :-)

• Dufresne says:

Rich S.: Also, didn’t Tito used to fight as a Middleweight?

There used to be a 199 lbs division called the Middleweight division, but it was rolled into the Light Heavy Weight division.

• Cory Brady says:

• Cory Brady: I thought the Baroni vs. Sadollah fight was pretty entertaining. You guys didn’t? If I had to choose between rewatching either Baroni vs. Sadollah, Silva vs. Cote or Silva vs. Leites; I’m going with Baroni and Sadollah, but thats just me.

It was entertaining for about seven minutes. The rest of the time I was screaming at the TV for Sadollah to put something behind his punches or for Baroni to actually land one of his whirlwind haymakers.

• Jak says:

Koscheck– I would agree, it’s not like the fight happened a while ago, the fight happened last week! I did like Dana’s comment that he should fight Jon Fitch.

Luis Cane- 2 things bother me about cutting weight, the first is that prior to this he was an undefeated LHW(i don’t count the Irvin loss as a loss, we’ve seen how much heart Irvin has), but more importantly i could see this type of move turning out like Vera cutting to LHW and losing all his power. Little Nog is much more experienced, i still think Cane beats the majority of LHW’s ranked 7-20…

Ben Saunders- I take more from his lack of performance against Swick, and equal sized WW than i do against Wolf or Davis. I don’t think those knees would come out against any top WW’s and Saunders hasn’t shown much else besides really great knees.

Wanderlei vs. Akiyama… ?… i want to see that fight.

• joe mo mma says:

im suprised no one has mentioned koschecks blatant eye poking. he clearly opened his fist at the last second. kudos to his take down, gnp, and then the choke.. but after all the replays of the poke, i lost a little respect.

• David Lo Pan says:

Forest shold face Rich Franklin.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

lets face it -its time for team mates to fight eachother-they do it in the gym all the time-heres what needs to happen-koscheck vs fitch-swick vs hughes-thiago vs semtex-shogun vs lil nog-cain vs carwin-saunders vs that dude who just beat the crap out of brock larson-nuff said

• Rich S. says:

Throw us a bone! It’s not even fair to compare those! Haha, at least there was actually constant striking in Baroni/Sadollah..

Dufresne: Rich S. I’m hiring you an editor to shorten your posts lol.
    Good points though

I knoooow haha.. My posts are too long.. But, it’s hard for me to condense certain feelings I have after these fights..

Bear with me, I only post those huge ones in Predictions and Aftermaths..

• PLANETSTOMP says:

and furthermore-chris lytle vs volkman-paulo vs karo(if he ever gets his shit together)-dos santos vs winner of mir vs kongo-just a vision

• Angry Mike says:

Agree that Rosholt may have tapped too quickly, and I wondered at the time if that was part of the reason for the disgusted look on his face right after it happened. He might’ve been nervous about his arm, because I think Grove transitioned from a pretty good arm bar into the triangle, and then Rosholt realized that when he tapped his arm wasn’t in jeopardy at that point.

Saunders’ knees were devastating, but he had a significant height advantage over Davis. Let’s see if he can use them to the same effect with an opponent who is closer to his height. If so, he’s da Muy Thai man.

It may be obnoxious, but Kos bought the right to talk some smack after beating Johnson. Kos has more experience, but he gave up weight, height and reach and won impressively. I doubt he meant to indirectly dis Swick, but his suggestion that Hardy shouldn’t have a title shot is probably correct. I think that ‘s a political match up in the sense that UFC is really trying to establish itself in the UK, and they think a title shot for Hardy will increase enthusiasm there.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

rosholt will never be a contender-unfortunately-just another hardheaded wrestler trying to fit in

• PLANETSTOMP says:

AS FAR AS DAN HARDY GOES-DAMN RIGHT HE DESERVES A TITLE SHOT-LAST TIME I CHECKED-HE’S UNDEFEATED IN THE UFC-ON A SIDE NOTE-KOSCHECK WOULD GET OWNED BY FITCH-BUT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT HAPPEN-DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE HOW UNHEALTHY(SICKLY) MIKE SWICK LOOKED AND ACTED?

• neijia says:

I’m with you all on the Lil Nog assessment. I suspect we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg on how much of an impact elite level boxing can have on mma (any boxers care to elaborate a little? How good is Brazilian super hw champion and pan am bronze medalist? Makes you wonder what a Pacquiao or Mayweather could do with grappling training – but they simply don’t need this kind of risk for relatively little money – so it makes me wish for Silva vs. Jones, Jr. under boxing rules). Would love to see Nog vs. Griffin, Rua, Rashad and Machida.

• jasonah says:

Yeah the after math! I regret paying 45.00 for the P.P.V. Josh Koscheck is still arrogant, As usual.Was it just me or Did Tito just give up in the third round. ? I had him winning the fight till the third.And I also Expected Chuck, To get in the ring and call him out after the win! Tito was saying all this stuff that he was healthy,And after he lost the fight he has herniated discs in his back and a cracked skull.How in the hell did he get medical clearance to fight ? Excuses, Excuses.Tito has not Evolved as a Fighter, He still has Rudamentry stand up.As far as Marcus Davis And Phil Baroni go the are Victims of Violent Muay Thai Striking. Idont know if there will be any Really stand out cards,until Early 2010

• Jak says:

jasonah: Was it just me or Did Tito just give up in the third round.

• edub says:

David Lo Pan: Lil Nog should face the winner of Rashad/Thiago for the number one contender match.Forest shold face Rich Franklin.Tito should face Brandon Vera or winner of Jon Jones/Matt Hamill or Keith Jardine.

Agreed. Tito vs Vera would be a ko for Vera I think.

• PLANETSTOMP says:

TITO VS VERA WOULD ACTUALLY BE ENTERTAINING-JON JONES IS A VERY INTERESTING PROSPECT-LETS SEE HOW HE FARES AGAINST HAMILL-I PREDICT A SECOND ROUND TKO FOR JONES

• Dufresne says:

Jak: I’m not sure what everybody was expecting from Tito Ortiz… he hadn’t fought in a year and a half. Obviously he would gas in the 3rd… i thought that just went hand in hand with not fighting in a very long time.

I was expecting the Tito that was world renown for his cardio, or at least a shadow of that. I know he was injured but we’ve seen Tito come in injured before and still have plenty of gas left in his tank after 3 rounds.

• PLANETSTOMP says: