The Nevada State Athletic Commission recently released its list of medical suspensions resulting from action at UFC 106, and while ten of the event’s participants received a State mandated break before stepping back into the cage, only two of the bunch suffered any significant injury requiring a long healing period.
Luiz Cane is stated to have possibly received a fractured orbital bone in his knockout loss to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, while Jason Dent may have injured his left knee at some point during his submission loss to George Sotiropoulos.
Headliner Forrest Griffin will be able to resume full contact training in three weeks with the earliest date he can return to action being December 22nd. However, the former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion also suffered damage to his right foot that must be cleared by a doctor if he plans to compete again in Nevada before May 21st, 2010.
Surprising to some, Griffin’s opponent in the main event, Tito Ortiz, was not among the names listed by the NSAC.
Here is the remaining rundown of medically suspended fighters according to a recent report on MMAJunkie.com:
- Anthony Johnson – Suspended until 12/22/09, no contact until 12/13/09 for precautionary reasons
- Paulo Thiago – Suspended until 12/22/09, no contact until 12/13/09 due to cut on nasal bridge
- Luiz Cane – Suspended until 5/21/10 due to possible right orbital fracture but can be cleared by a doctor, minimum suspension until 1/6/10 with no contact until 12/22/09
- Phil Baroni – Suspended until 1/6/10, no contact until 12/22/09 due to facial and scalp lacerations
- Jacob Volkmann – Suspended until 12/6/09 due to cuts on scalp and nasal bridge
- Marcus Davis – Suspended until 5/21/10 with broken nose but can be cleared by a doctor, minimum suspension until 1/6/10 with no contact until 12/22/09 due to multiple cuts
- Brock Larson – Suspended until 5/21/10 with broken nose but can be cleared by a doctor, minimum suspension until 1/21/10 with no contact until 1/6/10 due to multiple cuts
- George Sotiropoulos – Suspended until 12/22/09, no contact until 12/13 due to cut over left eyebrow
- Jason Dent – Suspended until 5/21 due to possible left knee injury but can be cleared early by orthopedist