Attention Joe Silva: It’s time for Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch to sort it out

jon fitchIt was inevitable. With some many of the sport’s top athletes training alongside one another it was just a matter of time before the stars aligned correctly for two friends and training partners to butt heads in the Octagon.

It’s my opinion that fellow American Kickboxing Academy trained welterweights Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch currently find themselves in that both fortunate and unfortunate, extremely unique position.

With three of mixed martial art’s top 170 pound fighters in Koscheck, Fitch and Mike Swick all training out of the same San Jose based gym, it had to happen sooner or later.

UFC Chairman Lorenzo Fertitta recently went on record stating:

At the end of the day, we are here to see fighters and we are here to see fights.

If teammates don’t want to fight, then they are just going to have to go somewhere else. We don’t put up with that stuff.

That’s just the way it is. You step up. You’re a UFC fighter and I don’t care who it is, you have to fight.

I couldn’t agree any more whole heartedly with the man.

Now it’s just a matter of seeing how serious the Octagon brass are in their stance that top fighters will have no choice in the matter when push comes to shove.

In Kos’ and Fitch’s case, it has definitely come down to it. Outside of Thiago Alves, the fellow training parners are undoubtedly the best welterweights in the business right now.

Of course I don’t expect for Fitch and Koscheck to WANT to fight one another, but it’s not as if this would be just any fight. A bout between these two would undoubtedly warrant the winner being guaranteed a crack at the winner of Georges St. Pierre vs. Dan Hardy.

I’d find it hard to see either man backing down from a bout that would insure a chance at accomplishing their dream, regardless of the implications.

Only time will tell what the future holds for these two, but if it’s really about giving the fans what they want and making the fights that people want to see; I’d like to see Jon Fitch fight Josh Koscheck.

Joe Silva, if you’re reading this, do the right thing buddy!

• nate says:

they better do this.. soon too.

• Dufresne says:

Called it!

This is a fight that has needed to happen for quite a while.

I think the loser of this needs to get a crack at Ben Saunders.

• manny says:

I agree, this will be a good match up. Either way both of the will lose to GSP. I bet Kos doesn’t pokee Fitch’s eyes

• xtreme_machine says:

What about Paul Semtex

that guy is high up there and they could still do

koscheck vs Semtex

and fitch vs thiago alves

before hardy vs gsp and after ufc 108

• Cory Brady says:

xtreme_machine:

What about Paul Semtex

that guy is high up there and they could still do

koscheck vs Semtex

and fitch vs thiago alves

before hardy vs gsp and after ufc 108

While there’s no question about it: Daley is a certified beast man; I feel like he’s still a win or two away from being considered along with guys like Fitch and Kos. Lets not forget that this is the same Paul Daley that dropped a fight to Nick Thompson just this year. If Daley has one major achilles heel, it’s his wrestling. Koscheck and Fitch would eat him alive in my opinion. As far as Alves goes, I’d love to see him fight either Fitch or Koscheck, but I’d rather see the top welterweights that haven’t fought each other go at it first. No more tippie-toeing.

• Makington says:

This is what makes me respect fighters like Joe Lauzon all the more. He has gone on record saying he would fight his brother if he had to and it was a good fight. His own dang brother.

I mean, it’s not like Koscheck and Fitch joined a fighting sport to actually fight, right?

• I find it funny that Koscheck is claiming he’s the number one contender in the WW division after beating Johnson and Trigg. Does he not remember his KO loss to the then-unheralded Paulo Thiago? For a guy that’s 3-2 in his last five, he’s talking an awful lot of smack.

• edub says:

Sergio Hernandez: I find it funny that Koscheck is claiming he’s the number one contender in the WW division after beating Johnson and Trigg. Does he not remember his KO loss to the then-unheralded Paulo Thiago? For a guy that’s 3-2 in his last five, he’s talking an awful lot of smack.If he’s serious about getting a title shot, he NEEDS to fight Fitch as Fitch is the only other fighter in the division that getting a victory over would warrant a shot at GSP.

This.

• I think Fitch is the number one contender period. No he doesn’t electrify with huge knockouts but he out works EVERYONE(except GSP) and he even did better than either Thiago(couldn’t capitalize on a wounded GSP) or BJ(didnt answer the bell in the 5th). I think before anyone gets a shot at the crown at WW they should have to go through Fitch. Fitch is 10-1 in the ufc and provided he could get some better striking going I still think stands the best chance of beating GSP. That being said I agree with Sergio on the fact that Kos is talkin some trash for someone who is 3-2 in his last 5.

Come on Joe Silva make this happen so Kos goes 3-3 in his last six….Fitch by decision or late Submission!

• Vogairian says:

I agree with Sergio here, I don’t think he’s all that close to a title shot. That said I don’t really have a problem with this fight if it were to happen.

• moosebaby02 says:

i think cause is reading to much into his OWN HYPE.
    Good win on Saturday. Keep up the hard work. But Fitch will grind you out and you know it

• cocoonofhorror says:

winner gets a title shot, loser gets to dispose of Hardy.

• b rad says:

Surprise surprise Kos takes out johnson and them procedes to call out Hardy for getting the title shot well guess what if him and fitch though down the winner would get the shot but it was THERE decision not to fight each other so save your complaints for some one else and when your ready to fight who ever Joe Silva throws in front of you the fans will listen

• xtreme_machine says:

Fitch is the REAL number one contender.

There is no need for them to fight.

• GassedOut says:

I think this would be one of the best, most anticipated fights in a while. I have no questions about Fitch’s skills, and no question about Koscheck’s mouth. This fight will be hypable (is that a word) and sellable, particularly to nouveau fans since TUF because of Koscheck. Though I personally think he’s got the most annoying mouth, I know a lot of it is just hype.

What I really hope is that he knows it’s just hype and he hasn’t bought his own hype, because Fitch is going to kill him, and I wouldn’t want to see Koscheck’s ego injured in that fall. 😉 But seriously, I would pick Fitch to win here. Maybe not handily, but win decidedly, either by late sub or by UD (though I’m not so sure about judge’s decisions these days).

• xtreme_machine: Fitch is the REAL number one contender. There is no need for them to fight. If any Fitch should fight Semtex (after he kos Condit) for the shot at Hardy/GSP

Hate to be the one to disagree but Semtex KO The Natural Born Killer? Stranger things have happened but a more likely outcome is Semtex gets tapped out in the first round. I think the Paul Daley hype is grossly out of hand. Dont get me wrong BRILLIANT kickboxer…but this ain’t kick boxing and Condit is three shades of nasty on the mat and not too bad on his feet.

• mmacouchpotato says:

Completely agree with Mr. Brady…..how much more has to happen before these two have to brawl it out? Nothing against Fitch’s next opponent, but he should really be fighting Koschek. Dana, it’s time to walk the walk!

• […] personally made my stance as clear as day back in November of 2009 when I pleaded for Joe Silva and company to do the right thing. The right thing being to end this […]