Josh Koscheck strikes it rich with UFC 106 fight bonuses

Josh KoscheckJosh Koscheck was the big winner last evening in more ways than simply defeating Anthony Johnson during UFC 106. 140,000 way to be exact.

UFC 106 took place from the Mandalay Bay Events Center last night, featuring a headlining bout between Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz.

Kos ended up taking home both the submission, and fight of the fight bonuses for his second round rear naked choke victory over “Rumble” that capped off an electrifying battle. He walked away with a cool $70,000 for each honor, for a combined bonus total of 140 grand.

Also going home with a big pat on the back from the UFC in the form of an enormous paycheck was Johnson for his tussle with Koscheck, and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, who lit up Luiz Cane like a Christmas tree to collect his bonus.

• Angry Mike says:

FOTN? Sadollah/Baroni was better imo, although Baroni had nothing left in the third.

• qat says:

if sadollah would have finished him, he would probably get that bonus, but he didnt. nice fight though.

• nate says:

I don’t understand why the ufc didn’t spread the financial love around a bit more on this card. I’d say the fighters on this card really came through on this night considering all the hindrances it turned out to be a stellar card which is why I don’t understand why they couldn’t give kos sub of the night and Amir baroni fotn? or someone else? it’s a shame they don’t add incentives like if the card as whole has more than 65% of the fights finish they all get bonuses etc.

• trunk says:

I can understand why they gave kos any extra money.

There were much better subs and forest and tito was fotn imo.

• ByronGiant says:

The Koscheck fight was three kinds of bullshit on a one way street. It wasn’t even the fourth best fight on the card. Volkman/Thiago fight was much better, as was Tito/Forrest, as was Saunders/Davis, as was…. basically every fight on the card.

Between the fake eye poke, to the blatant eye poke, to the illegal-but-we’ll-overlook-it almost knee to the head, that only hit his forarm… I was disgusted with this fight entirely!

• ByronGiant says:

Also the real sub of the night was Kendall Grove… ty and goodnight.

• BigDave says:

Complete and utter bullshit.

• edub says:

Definately agree with them getting foty. I thought they had a great back and forth battle minus all the fouls. Thought Kendall should of got sub of the night though.

• edub says:

foty*… FOTN definately not good enough to take foty.

• GassedOut says:

Wow, whose ass did Kos kiss for that?

Sub of the Night was Kendal Grove, Knockout of the Night was Ben Saunders, Fight of the Night was Ortiz/Griffin.

Instead, the most annoying TUF graduate (besides Junie Browning and Matt Serra) walks away with $140K extra? I’m calling Bullshit!

• Scott H. says:

I can understand the UFC wanting to thank Kos and Rumble for making this fight happen on short notice, but I woulden’t do it through the fight Bonuses. Just toss them some extra cash in the dressing room.

My thought is Grove was Sub of the night, although the George S. also had a great sub on the undercard.

I don’t think you can really argue with Saunders as KO of the night. (Although little Nog had a sweet KO that is getting over looked).

If the third round wasn’t so one sided I’d have said Ortiz/Griffin for FOTN, but instead I’d say Volkman/Thiago .

• paddiosf says:

I thought also that Thiago / Volkman fight was good and Sub of the night was George S. was the sub of the night..Koscheck is freaking rich…

• GassedOut says:

I’ll take your word on George S. I haven’t seen the untelevised fights. He’s pretty slick with his jiu-jitsu though.

• manny says:

The good old eye poke won him the extra $. Rumble had him ’til he faked the eye poke and recovered after those 5 min. Def not the sotn, grove’s arm bar / triangle should have won.

• Makington says:

I actually thought George S. and Jason Dent was well on its way to winning FotN, It was a very fast paced back and forth technical battle on the feet with some slick ground work near the end. How he didn’t atleast pull out SotN I won’t know, but I thought that fight was pretty exciting. And if not George, Kendall’s submission was also slick as hell. Disappointing…

• PLANETSTOMP says:

KOSCHECK IS A HAM SANDWICH-THE GUY SOUNDS WORSE THAN TITO-TAKE THE DYE OUT OF YOUR HAIR AND GET REAL