Forrest edges Tito, Koscheck submits Johnson & Nogueira flattens Cane during UFC 106

ufc 106 2Forrest Griffin avenged his loss to Tito Ortiz this evening during UFC 106 in a back and forth brawl that closely resembled the first bout between the two in ferocity.

While Tito managed to score several powerful takedowns during the bout, it was Griffin’s leg kicks and striking that played the deciding factor in the contest with two of the judges that gave the nod to Griffin via split decision.

Josh Koscheck and Anthony Johnson went to war this tonight for as long as their scrap lasted, but it was Koscheck’s dynamic wrestling background that made the ultimate difference in the bout’s conclusion. Koscheck took the beaten and bruised Johnson’s back in the second and locked in the game ending rear-naked choke that likely propelled the AKA trained fighter back into title contention in the near future.

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira looked as good as he possibly could this evening as he beat the heavy handed Luiz Cane at his own game, knocking his fellow Brazilian senseless with a series of punches in the first round, and establishing himself as an immediate threat to the 205 pound crown in the process.

In preliminary action Ben Saunders showed why his clinch game is among the nastiest in the business as he put Marcus Davis to sleep with a huge knee, Kendall Grove caught Jake Rosholt with a nasty triangle choke and Brian Foster surprised a lot of people, TKO’ing Brock Larson in the second round of their welterweight match-up.

A full list of the results from UFC 106 are listed below:

Forrest Griffin def. Tito Ortiz via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28)

Josh Koscheck def. Anthony Johnson via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2

Paulo Thiago def. Jacob Volkmann via unanimous decision (29-28,30-27,30-27)

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira def. Luiz Cane via TKO – Round 1

Amir Sadollah def. Phil Baroni via unanimous decision (30-27,30-27,29-28)

Ben Saunders def. Marcus Davis via knockout (knee) – Round 1

Kendall Grove def. Jake Rosholt via submission (triangle) – Round 1

Brian Foster def. Brock Larson via TKO – Round 2

Caol Uno and Fabricio Camoes fight to a majority draw (29-27, 28-28, 28-28)

George Sotiropoulos def. Jason Dent via submission (armbar) – Round 2

• king mah mah says:

Tito could have easily won a decision in that fight, but they chose to have controversy and have Forrest win by split decision. Which he lost by last fight.

Makes for a good 3rd fight against the two. Doesn’t it?

• edub says:

4-1 on the main card baby.

I was sitting on the ground thinking forrest was gonna get screwed in a dec. Im glad the judges got it right.

• king mah mah says:

I can honestly see where Forrest won that fight, but 30-27? I don’t think so.

A third fight is already in the making. Trust me.

• king mah mah says:

Oh yeah baby! Thumbs down! Bring it on!

• edub says:

king mah mah: can honestly see where Forrest won that fight, but 30-27?

Definately agree with that statement. Either way of 30-27 is a terrible scorecard in that fight.

• king mah mah says:

Thanks edub.

• Rich S. says:

I think I’m going to call it quits on making picks for fights..

These fighters’ performances change so drastically from fight to fight that there’s no way to accurately predict them..

1. I’ve had a man-crush on Saunders since TUF, and it’s really nice to see him win HUGE here tonight.. Gah, those knees were beautiful.. The whole time Davis was struggling to get out of the clinch, Franklin/Silva 1 was replaying over and over in my head..

2. What can I say about Larson/Foster? Most people haven’t even heard of Foster. He was coming off a loss to Rick Story, and Larson is light years ahead of Story.. Yet, Larson gives a horrible performance and Foster totally dismantles him.. How could anyone possibly call that one?

3. I should’ve known Baroni was going to gas instantly.. I really don’t know why I picked him to win.. The UFC KNEW what they were doing here, and knew Sadollah could get the win as long as he survived the first 10 or so punches.. And he did.. I’ll be AMAZED if Baroni gets another fight in the UFC.. Maybe they’ll keep him around to propel some newcomer into stardom.. Or hell, maybe they’ll set up Phil Baroni vs. Chris Lytle just for the guaranteed knockout..

4. Beautiful/Scary performance from Lil Nog.. Of course, I thought the Octagon and all the flashy lights may make Rogerio’s UFC debut a bad one (for some reason). Again, I was horribly wrong. At first, I thought, “Wow, nice TKO victory.” But, then, after it marinated, I realized that Cane has never been finished and he’s fought the likes of Sokodjou, Cantwell, Lambert, and The Sandman.. His lone loss was actually a dominant performance turned disqualification.. So for Nog to dispose of him with only A COUPLE OF SHOTS is just…. mind-boggling. I hope this turns into a huge reign of terror at Lightheavyweight for Rogerio..

5. More stunningly beautiful Jiu Jitsu from Sotiropoulos.. Man, it’s a privilege to watch that guy fight.. As long as he keeps working on his striking, keeping his hands up, and KNOWING when to take the fight to the ground, he’ll have some great fights with top Lightweight competition here in the UFC..

6. Caol’s new nickname is officially, “The King of Draws”.

7. My original thought on Kos/AJ was that Kos was going to win.. I should’ve stuck with it.. I said it myself, Kos rarely loses.. This was a huge step up in competition for Johnson, and he did well out the gate, unfortunately for him Kos’ experience and superior ground skill got the better of him.. The good thing about this is, AJ is so young, and can only go up from here.. He needs to take this fight and learn from it.. As far as I see it, this is only AJ’s first legitimate loss.. After all, the loss to Clementi was largely affected by him taking the fight on such short notice.. And it’s an absolute atrocity that his loss to Burns wasn’t successfully appealed..

Also, I’d rather see Hardy fight Kos than GSP.. That’s what we should be seeing.. Oh well..

8. It’s nice to see Forrest get some revenge.. It’s also pretty cool that it was another split decision.. I mean, it just goes to show, that Forrest and Tito, are two guys that will always make a good/close fight.. I’m not sure who we’re going to see Forrest fight next.. Maybe Rogerio? I thought Tito was back to 100% and was really hoping to see the old Tito in there tonight.. Still, it’s always nice to see Forrest win, and hopefully he can make a good run for the belt.. Maybe Tito should fight Coleman, now.. That would get him on the “W” side, and maybe THEN he can work on getting to 100% and actually making a run out of this..

• Rich S. says:

Finally, one of my posts is actually longer than the article itself :)

• sexy-yama says:

Rich S. says:
    November 22, 2009 at 3:21 am (Quote)

Finally, one of my posts is actually longer than the article itself :)

Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 100000000000000000000000000
    carl uno omg man!!!OMG u have a history of draws u drew with bj wich is understandable but man oh the pain,u have let down sexy yama!

• sexy-yama says:

king mah mah says:
    November 22, 2009 at 2:14 am (Quote)

I can honestly see where Forrest won that fight, but 30-27? I don’t think so.

A third fight is already in the making. Trust me, <—I TRUST NO ONE FOOL, ur a liar rofl,the fight blew was hopping tito wasnt all talk but he was, i wanted to see rorrest run 😀

• sexy-yama says:

edub: edub says:
    November 22, 2009 at 2:11 am (Quote)

4-1 on the main card baby.

i was 5-0

• submit662266 says:

I was very impressed with Kos. He took some heavy power, and the eye gouge didn’t seem to faze him.

Sotoropolis looks good. Great to see Lil’ Nog kick some ass.

Great to see Forrest hitting Tito in the mouth. His escapes off the back were impressive. Tito looked old. I know the dude had injuries and couldn’t spar or train properly, but his shot looked SLOW.

• hindsightufuk says:

along it seems with everyone else, i’m chuffed Nogueira, i love watching the brothers fight, and i’m glad finally more people can see how good the little fella is.

Sotoropolis looked pretty crisp in the standup, and his top game is awesome, cant wait to see him take a step up in competition. lets see him fight a top 10er in the Oz show. One down side tho, who the fuck is Jason Dent? guy shouldnt even be on an undercard, fucking hate the way the ufc have to promote these shitfucks who havent earned a spot in a top promotion. I can understand someone with potential from TUF being given a chance to shine even if they didnt win the tournement, but cmon, Jason Dent is local show calibre, fuck him.

Thought Tito looked seriously injured in the third, no way was that a conditioning issue that made him not take the fight to Forrest, he couldnt even put his own t-shirt on at the end, looked like the arm/shoulder was bothering him. Been a while since we had a trilogy in the UFC, hope they finish it up next year. Would also like to see Tito and Randy matched up together next, or is Randy tied to the Coleman fight now? Forrest vs Cane would be nice.

couldnt believe how quickly Jake tapped to Kendall, thought Jake was on his way to victory there, props to Kendall tho i dont like to watch him fight

Josh was a huge suprise, its just as well he won decisively cos his feigning injury was like watching these fucking fairy cunts playing football over here. dont be dragging that shit into MMA brother, props on the win tho, think he should fight Fitch next

Sadollah looked good, technique wise. Nice elbow strikes standing, dont see enough of it in MMA, leg kicks had Netherlands written all over them.

Good night in all

• Ryan Seacrest says:

I watched the Forrest and Tito fight and it was close……I just cannot understand why Tito stood there and took kicks and punches in the third. Someone in his corner may have told him he was up in the fight and not get into trouble in the 3rd. It was nice to see Forrest come back and win and as much as I dislike Tito, it was good to see him in the octagon again.

Tito vs. Chuck 3? If I remember Chuck has 1 fight remaining on his contract, if so give him Tito. Anyone disagree?

• thedudex says:

Damn Tito… anyone else ever notice that everytime he loses he gets up in front of everyone and makes excuses. Everytime i’ve seen him lose he complains about being injured! What a cry baby. funny that he was 100% until he lost. Personnally I would be happy to see Tito hang em up so i didn’t have to listen to his BS anymore. He talks a good game, but thats about all i can say for him.

• BigDave says:

Johnson was robbed, Kos was on his way to being put to sleep. Yes, there was a illegal knee but it wasn’t hard and never came near his left eye which he was selling to the ref and doctor. He should have a portion of his win bonus takin away and should not qualify for sub of the night for faking an injury. I hope they don’t give Kos a shot at # 1 contender before hardy gets his title shot. Kos hasn’t earned another shot He got ktfo by thiago, then beat an over the hill Trigg and a young untested Johnson that he had to pull a bitch move to get time to rest before he got ktfo again.

The same old story happened again last night, Tito got beat up then bitched and moaned and almost cried that he was so injured, He was talkin alot of smack before hand about he was in the best shape of his life then when he gasses and gets beat up by forrest its a completely different tune. He has a bulging disk in his neck and a cracked skull and why are you booing me for being a whiny bitch. Forrest showed class by helping Tito save a tiny bit of dignaty.

Tito is the third graduate of the BJ Penn school of Whiny Bitch, Congrats Douche bag!

Lil Nog what can I say dude hits hard and fast.Cane was outclassed from the start. Nog puts himself right up into the mix at 205 and i want to see him in there with rashad or jardine next.

I think people need to start paying attention to Ben Saunders knees. This is the second time in a row that he has destroyed a game fighter with devastating Muay ti knees.

Kendall Grove was getting pumped till he was able to get those pipe cleaners he calls legs around roshalts neck. I would have loved to see the umaplata but good win none the less.

I’m not sure what has happened to Brock Larson he looked to be in line for a big fight then lost a unanimous decision where he looked bad and now he gets picked apart by another dude he should have destroyed. Brock needs to find the problem and fix it fastbecause one more pathetic performance and he could find himself out of a job.

The Newyork gassed ass makes me proud by being the same old douche bag. comes out with winging punches the gasses and turns into a human punching bag yet again. Go back to japan where the love morons like you that have no fight game but talk alot of shit and take a showa.

• nate says:

all i know is…the best eva was effing stained red with blood! ha he looked worse and worse each round trying to use the fence to hold him up..ha! phil baroni you ass. FURTHERMORE. after seeing amir take all those shots from phil i am POSITIVE the j. hendricks fight was as premature as they come. clearly amir takes a much harder shot than first believed. rematch with hendricks!

• Dufresne says:

I have watched that Kos/Johnson fight at least 5 times and I have yet to see how he got any injury to that eye at all. The knee landed on his forearm, and the glanced off of his forehead, but nothing even touched the left eye. I know that even a glancing knee hurts like hell, but I’m still confused as to Koschecks reaction there.

Overall a great night of fights.

• submit662266 says:

When Rumble began moving away from Kos immediately after the knee, Rumble’s fingers lightly grazed Kos’ left eye. I didn’t notice it until about the 54th time they showed that replay. Even a little bit of finger in the eye is painful.

I don’t think Rumble was robbed at all. First, he should’ve known not to knee Kos when he was down. The knee itself ended up being rather harmless, but that is a HUGE violation that grabs the refs attention in a hurry. He obviously had a lapse in judgment that cost him much in the end. Second, Rumble needs a lot of improvement on the ground.

• submit662266 says:

Another thing, it is taboo for a fighter to state his injuries after the beating, and I see why: what a disrespect to your opponent.

However, Tito AND Forrest fought with bad injuries. Tito went against the advice of his doctor and fought anyway (after landing on his head in training) and Forrest broke his foot 3 weeks ago. This card was fraught with disaster and damn near didn’t happen (Lesnar getting sick, Coleman backing out, Karo wasting his life).

I thought Tito and Forrest looked lackluster. They both looked slow and stiff. After reading about the injuries they both had, it made sense. Forrest was kicking Tito repeatedly with a BROKEN FOOT!! These guys are THE toughest people on the planet, period. Personally, I can only compare it to breaking my toe in college, which had me walking slow and funny for weeks. Had I kicked someone with that toe, I would have cried like a little girl.

I was praying for Tito to lose this fight, like many others who have written posts here. I have to give props to him and Forrest though for gutting it out when it hurt like hell.

• Pajamashark says:

I didn’t think I knew enough about MMA/UFC to post predictions, but all of my guys won!

Amir has a CHIN, wow that guy can take a punch and his limbs are pretty lethal. I do like that he makes up for his rather scrawny size by doing a lot of attacks with momentum behind them like flying knees and superman punches. Makes it very exciting to watch! Having Amir when I know Baroni was the favorite was so gratifying when he won, and he’s just such a nice guy who still has a lot left in him.

Little Nog looked fantastic and I never doubted for a second that he would triumph. Same with Kos. I know Johnson is a very hard hitter but Kos has made such leaps and bounds in his stand-up, and lets not forget he can take a punch too. I was hoping he would wait it out long enough for Anthony to gas a bit as that weight cannot be normal or healthy for him. Really excellent fight right there.

And of course my boy Forrest! Wonderful to see he’s bounced back from Silva. We were making jokes when Anderson was cornering Little Nog- “Oooo, don’t let Forrest see Anderson! He might run away!” And Tito’s “Run Forrest Run” shirt was deliciously ironic when he was shouting excuses at the end of the fight.

Everyone who was at my house for the fight, except for me, pretty much had Tito to win. But we all agreed it would depend on which Tito showed up- old Tito or someone less awesome. I think Tito is about 80% back, but Forrest looked closer to 85% so the split decision was not surprising. Tito just stood around for the third round and let Forrest whack away at him with his limbs. He looked like he was waiting for a knock-out opening, and of course it never came.

Tough guys indeed. I had a great time with this card! Maybe I’ll get the sack up to post predictions for the next one.

• fanoftna33 says:

A few things I am now thinking about after last night
    1. Why is Kos telling everybody and there brother how he should be challenging GSP when he has just 4 wins in his last 7 fights. And lets be honest about his wins, an aging Trigg isnt going to get anybody a title shot, Yoshida is a good fighter but really outclassed by any top 20 WW, and AJ is still pretty raw. I appriciate the way Hardy has gone about this, never calling out GSP or telling everybody how he is the #1 guy. It looks to me Kos is really trying to convince himself he is that good.

2. does anybody else want to see Sell vs Baroni 2, that fight would be a great striking battle for at least the first round as Sell wont pin Baroni against the fence for the first half of the fight like Sadollah did, and Baroni would love to even that score.

3.Saunders Fn koed Marcus Davis, as great as that is why did he throw thoes two extra shots after the ref tried to break them up(COREY you better write something up on that if you are going to critize Winner for tagging Roli last week)

4. I picked Groove to win but damm Rooshalt wasnt even in that hold for 5 seconds, the guy has a ton of potential but like most wrestlers he needs to get a lot more time in in all aspects of MMA and some more wins in before the UFC brings him in for another show.

• Makington says:

A straight copy from the other article, it seems more appropriate here.
    I was right on almost every single pick, quite a step up from last week where I was right on only one pick. My few notes…

1. Finally a Main Event decision I agree with. I could see a few people out there saying Tito won, but I was on Forrest’s side.
    2. An extremely great night of fights considering all of the hooplah that was happening to the main eventers. Almost no decisions, and even a very rare draw.
    3. There were a total of 4 or 5 point deductions, people were fighting dirty.
    4. Holy effing crap at Brian Foster. One of my picks I felt safest about was Brock Larson soundly beating Brian. I guess someone forget to tell Brian that, and he dominated Brock a way he hasn’t been by Carlos Condit or Jon Fitch. As a side note, I don’t think I’ve seen a 10-7 round previously.
    5. I couldn’t be happier that we are now watching Nogueira’s fight twice as much in the UFC, but did anyone notice how healthy Rodrigo Nogueira looked beside his brother. They made his staph infection sound serious. He was literally running around the ring and yelling like a mad man after his twin’s fight.

Great night

• AlphaOmega says:

I agree about Saunders, I can kinda see the first punch, but his second punch was over the refs shoulder to hit Davis.

• Dufresne says:

How about a Kos v Fitch fight for the winner of GSP v Hardy?

• nate says:

• edub says:

nate: I love kos when he fights and he makes a fool of himself when he speaks. soon as he got the microphone he says “Dan hardy hasn’t fought nobody” (class act kos…he just steamrolled the “shoe in” for #1 contender AND your teammate/training parnter mike swick) then tries to correct “he hasn’t fought anybody like me” stating he should fight next…honestly he lost to gsp already same issue with marquardt. hendo and silva situation. he needs to stop trumpeting his own horn and congratulate his opponent and say things like I’ll fight anyone Joe silva gives me. not cry about he deserves it.

Agreed 100%

• hindsightufuk says:

Dufresne: How about a Kos v Fitch fight for the winner of GSP v Hardy?

yep that’d be a nice fight

• Angry Mike says:

I’ll never be an apolgist for Tito, and mentioning your injuries right after you lose is whining. However, if he had bulging discs that were impinging on nerve roots, they could cause pain and weakness in his shoulder and arm that would explain his reluctance to shoot in the third round and difficulties getting his shirt on at the end of the fight. I picked Forrest to win by decision, so his issues don’t matter to me.

Anybody else think that Rosholt was too quick to tap? The arm triangle hadn’t been locked on for more than a second or two. He looked pretty disgusted, and I wonder if he regretted the tap.

Sodalloh impressed me. The guy’s toughness was an open question for me, but he answered it last night. And his stand up is really improved. Nice combos and great kicks.

• neijia says:

Dominating performance by Lil Nog. Did it look like his last strike hit the side of Cane’s neck, or possibly the back of it? Couldn’t tell from the small vid I saw. Not that it really matters. He was on his way to the W in any case.

• hindsightufuk says:

Angry Mike: Anybody else think that Rosholt was too quick to tap? The arm triangle hadn’t been locked on for more than a second or two.

yeah, maybe he’s like Tim Sylvia, taps at the mere mention of submissions

• Angry Mike says:

LOL. A broken arm can make you a little skittish.