Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg set for UFC 109

matt-serraMatt Serra will be returning to action in February as he faces off with Frank Trigg in a welterweight clash set for UFC 109.

Serra recently confirmed the news of his participation in the bout through a recent report over at The Fight Network.

While nothing has been made official, the event is expected to take place from The Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on February 6, 2010.

Serra will be looking to place himself back into the winners column following back to back defeats at the hands of Georges St. Pierre and Matt Hughes on the heels of the biggest win of his professional career when he shocked the world in TKO’ing GSP for the UFC welterweight crown. Serra has fought his last thirteen professional bouts with the UFC where he has earned a record of 7-6.

Trigg’s back is likely against the wall in this fight as his position with the UFC was questionable upon his recent first round stoppage at the hands of Josh Koscheck at UFC 103. “Twinkle Toes” is a veteran of PRIDE, Sengoku, Strikeforce and the UFC, where he has put together a record of 2-4 inside of the Octagon.

• Rich S. says:

Eh, Trigg should get a win here..

• edub says:

Trigg via tko.

• fanoftna33 says:

Serra by ko, good fight between two solid veterans that can both really sell a fight.

• 27jride says:

My first thought was “two irrelevant fighters that have big mouths; who cares” but as I started to type, I realized that for some unknown reason, I will be glued to the TV for that fight…… I guess it’s like watching the first season of “Flavor of Love”.

• Angry Mike says:

This should be a five round fight. After all, it’s a fight between the two top contenders for the title of “Biggest Douche Bag in the UFC”

• BennyProfane says:

God Serra’s commercials are horrible.

• tybo1972 says:

Yeah neither guy is relevant in any division or organization but they both make good fights. They are evenly matched so neither one will get dominated like Trigg vs. Kos. Hard to call this one but I say Trigg 3rd TKO. Although it would be really easy to call Serra by RNC. LOL

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Trigg to win this 1 in the ring but Serra to win the trash talk before the fight.

• Rich S. says:

Trigg easily wins the trash talk battle with his “ask yourself, and answer” method..

As shown in his pre-fight interview for Trigg/Hughes 2..

Do I think Matt has a shot at beating me?
    Do I think I’m going to completely dominate him?
    Am I smarter than Matt?
    Am I better looking than Matt?
    Yeah.
    Um, do I deserve to be the champion?

Gah, that interview STILL drives me crazy..

• Jak says:

I like this fight.

I like Trigg, i like Serra.

For whoever said, Trigg via Ko…. really? Serra ain’t getting dropped. He might not win, but he’s not getting tko’d, especially not by trigg.

• CatchWrestling101 says:

Trigg looked horrible against KOS. Don’t know how much he’s got left. Don’t really like either one but find myself not wanting either one to lose. Weird. I guess I got a thing for the underdog story and the older fighers that have been around.