Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua expected for May 1 in Montreal

lyoto_machida-025Mauricio “Shogun” Rua will be getting his rematch with Lyoto Machida for the UFC light heavyweight championship, but it looks like he’s going to have until the middle of 2010 to get it.

UFC President Dana White has recently confirmed May 1 as the likely date for the anticipated showdown according to a recent report from Dave Metzel over at Yahoo Sports.

Apparently the two will face off in Montreal, Canada at an event yet to be announced.

The fellow Brazilian’s had been expected to rematch on January 2 during UFC 108 but a hand injury suffered in that bout by Machida forced the champion from the card.

There were many in attendance and watching at home that disagreed with the judges decision to award Machida with the victory in the pair’s first meeting during UFC 104 in October based on Shogun’s aggression combined with the fact that he landed more strikes during the bout, but the May date will hopefully give both men an opportunity to erase any doubt in what went down as one of the most controversial UFC title bouts in recent memory.

• edub says:

Anyone know how Montreal’s athletic commision picks there judges. I hope they dont use the US’s. I dont have much faith in ours anymore.

• Makington says:

I think there will be a huge public outcry if Cecil People’s is anywhere near the arena, let alone judging it. The Athletic Commission would be a bunch of numbskulls to put the same judges.

I still say that I don’t like Shogun’s chances in a rematch. I was one of the few who picked him before-hand but he fought his fight so perfect that I don’t think he can do it again. I’ll be surprised if Lyoto takes another body kick for the rest of his life.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Machida gets a chance to avenge his loss to Shogun. It wasn’t just Peoples either it was all 3! that is why I thought it smelt so fishy, like prawns left in the hot sun for a few days fishy.

• Well, hopefully this time around both fighters will not leave it to the judges’ hands.

• BennyProfane says:

Does anyone think it odd that Dana’s considering another Interim-Heavyweight title, when Machida is going to go almost 7 months between title defenses?

• xtreme_machine says:

hopefully Showgun will finish him this time

• nate says:

can’t wait for this fight to happen so everyone can stop talking about the last one and lay the bad judging complaints, and claims about being “fixed” to rest i’m so sick of reading about it. decisions suck we know this. you may not always agree and i understand it sucks to be sitting on the losing end of a hard decision but it happens and you move on. a re-match is thee best outcome in a fight so close like that. even if machida finished him or vice-versa i would have liked to see another fight as it was intense and exciting.

with that said, go ree-o-toe!

• s00nertp says:

cant wait for this

• BigDave says:

• Jak says:

nate: . you may not always agree and i understand it sucks to be sitting on the losing end of a hard decision but it happens and you move on.

This fight just isn’t that type of case. Wiman/Stout is a close fight. Vera/Couture is a close fight. Wanderlei/Franklin-Franklin/Hendo are close fights.

For a 5 rounder, it wasn’t a close fight. it wasn’t being on the “wrong end of a decision.”

The decision was wrong. That’s all there is to it.

• bigbadjohn says:

The decision stunk something fierce. Hopefully Shogun wins and we don’t soon forget exactly what happened the first time around when it comes to discussing title defenses (i.e. Machida didn’t).

• 27jride says:

BigDave: I will be at that fight for sure just 4 hour drive fo me to get there. Machida will not look bad this time and prove he is the best at 205.

I’m only 4hrs away too! You in the Albany area?

• Eh I didnt Like the decision either, but after watching the fight a few more times(and rewinding almost every exchange to see who hit who with what) I still disagree but at least understand how Machida could’ve won that fight. Sadly decisions aren’t based on the poll at home. I just like most mma fans am overly happy to see this one go down again. The fact this fight didn’t garner FOTN plus a few of the other bonuses handed out in the last two events really has me scratching my head……..I dunno how Barry got KO AND FOTN for putting a beatdown on Hardonk(more so I can’t believe they gave Hardonk that money for gettin beat down.) I dont understand how Bisping and kang got FOTN against Brown and Wilks(which was much more competitive) and I dont understand Siver gettin KOOFTN with both Winner AND that other guy in the prelims pullin those other knockouts…sorry for forgettin names and I know its off topic…but what do you think?

• fanoftna33 says:

I am with you on Bisping vs Kand not deserving fotn over Brown vs Wilks Superdavenorcal. Brown vs Wilke was a great fight with both guys competitive throughout the fight , wheras Bisping was in survival mode in round 1 and Kang looked like crap in round 2.
    All I can say for that is the ufc hands out its money as they see fit and maybe keeping top guys like Bisping happy that way has something to do with it.

• Knowone says:

This stinks for any other title contenders. You figure Rashad and Thiago Silva are fighting in January and if Rashad wins he might get a shot. That’ll probably be in August or September 2010. Lil Nog and Luis Can are fighting Saturday. You’re talkin 10 months without fighting. That’s a long time to wait. Maybe the winner of each fight will then face each other.

Love him or hate him as a coach or a fighter…I hope Rampage makes his way back to the cage. His presence could possibly fill in some of these gaps. Especially with a fight against Rashad on the same card as Machida/Shogun 2.

• moosebaby02 says:

BigDave Im like 6 hours and will be begging the wife for some $$$ to go. going to check the prices for the VIA trains right now
    I love Montreal. cant wait for the ass-clowns in the T dot to wake up and see how much cash their missing out

• qat says:

moosebaby02:

there is something wrong there… your wife should beg you not to take the money!

• Angry Mike says:

Is this enough time for Machida to learn how to check kicks?

• moosebaby02 says:

ya qat its cheeper to drive

• submit662266 says:

can’t wait to see this one. I’m a fan of both guys, they are both at THE top of this division, and Machida will win the re-match.