GSP can learn a lot from Dan Hardy

6268-danhardy_ufcI really respect Georges St. Pierre. He’s a terrifically talented fighter and a great ambassador for the UFC and the sport of mixed martial arts. He is, by all accounts, a genuine human being, polite, respectful, well-spoken. And pretty darn dull.

Just once I’d like to see the welterweight champ display a little edginess, get fired up about something. Anderson Silva is the same way but he can get away with it because he doesn’t do interviews except through a translator and that tends to water down any emotion or attitude in what’s being said.

GSP needs to put away his playbook, go off-script and get excited about something. If he did that, if he gave a few quotes that were memorable, that were perhaps slightly out of character, that showed he possesses a full range of emotions, that he has feelings, a sense of freaking humour, his superstar status would rise even higher.

Think about it. Muhammad Ali is as well-known for his poetic way with words as he is for the rope-a-dope or the Thrilla in Manilla or any of his other classic battles. Michael Jordan wasn’t above a little trash talking and he’s one of the greatest – if not the greatest – sports brands in history, with clothing, movies, cologne, you name it. Likewise, Tiger Woods became a whole lot more interesting, especially to the casual golf fan, on those occasions when he’s lost his temper and snapped a three-iron over his knee. Nobody thinks less of him for those occasional outbursts because of how he carries himself the other 99 percent of the time. We actually think more of him in a way because it shows he’s just like us, someone who gets frustrated and angry when things don’t go his way when they should. It shows he’s fallible and human.

Now, I’m not saying GSP should turn heel and start putting his finger in the chest of a defeated opponent or that he needs to start cursing and swearing and bad-mouthing his opponents. His sportsmanlike respect for his opponents is refreshing for a fighter, but he goes out of his way to be nice and it’s starting to come across as farcical, especially when – a Matt Serra-like puncher’s chance aside – not everybody who steps in against him has a hope in hell of beating him.

Which brings me to his next fight, against Dan Hardy. Here’s a fighter that GSP could actually learn something from. Not in the cage, of course. But Hardy brings an energy, an attitude, a personality to the game. He gave a runner-up trophy to Mike Swick at the UFC 105 pre-fight press conference, for crying out loud. That’s funny. That he beat Swick makes it even funnier. Hopefully, Hardy won’t be intimidated by GSP and will continue to bring a bit of sideshow fun to the lead-up to their title fight. I’d love to see him give GSP a second-place trophy and maybe it would encourage GSP to come out of shell a little bit and remember to have some fun. Unfortunately, if the look of horror that briefly crossed Hardy’s face when GSP was introduced into the octagon after the Swick fight is any indication, Hardy might start to act a bit more like GSP, and that would be too bad because being Dan Hardy is about all Hardy has going for him right now.

• RoadsideGraphix says:

MMA has always been more professional and respectful then pro wrestling… MARTIAL ARTS for most of us means RESPECT.
    GSP has done some trash talking “I’m not impressed with your performance” after Matt Hughes fight. That statement alone made such a buzz at the time. GSP actually felt bad afterward.

Now GSP is trying to make the Olympic team so I doubt you will hear him make any brash statements.

• Dufresne says:

I understand where you’re going with this, but I have to disagree. Not every fighter needs to be edgy or try and get under their opponents skin.
    To be honest, I would probably be more intimidated by a calm, quiet, confident fighter with a record riddled with victories over hall of fame fighters.

• David Andrest says:

Like watching paint dry.

• Angry Mike says:

GSP is an urbane gent, and I doubt he’ll do or say anything provocative. I wager Hardy won’t be so flamboyant, either. Hi jinks with Swick were fun because they were a fair match. That same sort of stuff would make Hardy look like an idiot after his inevitable drubbing by GSP.

• Makington says:

MMA, to me, has a whole lot to do with respect. I actually find it quite refreshing to see soeone who acts as genuine as GSP does. I like him the way he is, and it’s not like there’s any shortage of trash talkers in the UFC. I’ll get my trash talk fixes from other fighters like Brock, or Tito, and that suits me just fine.

Hate to disagree, but I’ll take the paint-drying GSP anyday over the cocky douche GSP.

• BigDave says:

• qat says:

i actually want the fighters to be who they are, and not change to some put-on showguy just because they would sell more t-shirts.
    and well, if i read that you want gsp to lose, just because he maybe would change his fight-personality after that.. hmm, imho thats really sick, go watch wwe.

• thedudex says:

Seriously?? You really believe GSP has a lot to learn from Dan hardy? One of the reasons i like and respect GSP as much as I do is that he does carry himself and act the way he does. He always shows respect to his opponents whether they have a chance in hell or not. But i guess thats a main difference between Canadians and americans(or brits for that matter) is that we realize you don’t have to be a loud mouth, big feelin, attention whore to be somebody. Believe it or not (not that you would know if u watch pretty much any american based sports league) but you don’t have to say or do crazy things or show 0 respect to your openents and fans to be great… you just need hard work and talent…. the rest will take care of itself.

• edub says:

BigDave: With all do respect this article isnot well thought out. Saying GSP needs to trash talk and stuff like that just plain makes no sence. Its a story that says well I can’t find anything bad about the guys fight game or his training or his heart so lets talk about he is boring because he doesn’t make fun of his opponents and he has more class and respect for the sport he has dedicated his life to then 99% of the fighters out there. If anything Most fighters could take a lesson from GSP on how to be a respectful person and just good human being.This type of article would get you absolutely trashed on here if you where to say this type of thing about Randy Couture who is also one of the most respectful guys in the sport. I have a suggestion for you though Mr. Hooper, next time you want to right an article about someones short comings try to make it about an actual flaw and not about a guy who is the best in the world at what he does and still manages to be a nice, respectable, and humble person in and out of the cage.

I dont share the same anger that big dave does towards this, but I agree completely. The thing I like about GSP is how much respect he commands and exudes at the same time. Im sure if he was an asshole him, Alves, and Fitch wouldnt be chilling together after UFC 100 getting hammerd. Knowing that they can all go out and have a good time together after fighting that hard is one of the reasons I watch. Balance is good for anything.

I say for every Dan Hardy you need a guy like GSP.

• ByronGiant says:

• I’m pretty sure most of you are missing my point. At no time did I say GSP should trash talk his opponents. At no time did I say he should disrespect his opponents. At no time did I say he should do anything to get under an opponent’s skin. I made it quite clear that he should not turn heel and start bad-mouthing other fighters.

What I said is that he needs to show some emotion, which he’s really only exhibited after his two losses. By emotion, I mean anything other than his monotone of politeness. He’s like a French-Canadian Fedor in this regard. Except the UFC is relying on him to be the face of the promotion in a way that Fedor never has been. He needs to show excitement, enthusiasm, and deliver anything other than the seven soundbites he has relied upon in interviews for years. As some of you have pointed out, he’s like watching paint dry as a personality, so it wouldn’t hurt him to go off-script and get a sense of humour and show that he’s having fun.

I’m talking about him improving his image in a mainstream way. If he’s the face of the UFC, and Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta certainly look at him that way, then he needs to be able to carry on an interesting conversation, to chat it up with people, including the media, talkshow hosts, etc. It’s become part of his job as a UFC superstar. Right now he’s pretty bland when it comes to those things.

• David Andrest says:

ByronGiant: Who writes these opinion pieces?They are horrible. Stick to the facts, report the news. What’s next? “I like Randy Couture, but why doesn’t he slap women in public?”.

Laughable. If you don’t like and opinion offer a different opinion. If you are not a fan of opinions that are different than your own, don’t read the article. It’s not hard. In regards to “who writes these opinion pieces” mostly guys who write for a living.

Crazy as it might seem, someone seems to think they are pretty good writers. People agree or disagree and seem to read and respond with an adult opinion of their own. However I will bring up your concerns at the next staff meeting and perhaps I’ll make all opinion pieces YouTube video’s instead of articles.

There is plenty of news here and other sites if that is what you are after.

• king mah mah says:

I tend to agree with article and think I know where he’s going with this.

If people knew GSP could get pissed, fly off the handle, or genuinely hate another fighter, it would show that he is in fact human. Plus it would definitely make for a better build up to his next fight. It would surely sell more tickets if there were a little controversy before the next GSP fight.

Not as bad of an article as people are saying. Good job man.

• xtreme_machine says:

he does his talking in the cage

• Dufresne says:

ByronGiant: Who writes these opinion pieces? They are horrible. Stick to the facts, report the news. What’s next? “I like Randy Couture, but why doesn’t he slap women in public?”.

Rampage got a title shot 2 fights into the UFC, Brock got a title shot 3 fights into his UFC career, but it took GSP 6 fights for his first shot and another 5 W’s and some begging in the Octagon after that loss to get another one. I think he would have gotten another shot much quicker if he had been a person people could hate or love to hate.
    The reason I disagree with the point of this article (or at least my perceived point) is that he’s already champion and very marketable. There’s no reason for him to use antics to raise PPV sales or shirt sales, he’s already got a huge fan base that will buy both just to see the great, respectable, warrior that he has become.

• Dufresne says:

Correction, it was only 2 UFC fights before his title shot, he fought for the belt with a record of 7-0 (2-0 UFC, 5-0 UCC).

• nope says:

Ehhh…you said early in the article “if he gave a few quotes that were memorable, that were perhaps slightly out of character.” Why would you want him to act out of character? His character IS his brand. Only fighter out there that is in Sponsorship with both/either UNDER ARMOR and GATORADE. No other fighter has close either one of those deals let alone BOTH.

I understand what you were trying to say…….

Sort of…

Weak Article…Title should be “I Hope Hardy Wins Because I Like Him More”

• Dufresne: This is not what he’s saying at all. If you remember, it took GSP quite awhile to get his second shot at a title after he was arm-barred with literally 1 second left in the round. Why did it take him so long? Because he didn’t cause much of a stir with his antics. He wasn’t seen as being very marketable at the time.Rampage got a title shot 2 fights into the UFC, Brock got a title shot 3 fights into his UFC career, but it took GSP 6 fights for his first shot and another 5 W’s and some begging in the Octagon after that loss to get another one.

GSP also got a title shot two fights into the UFC and was kept from a second title shot due to TUF 2 and the Hughes/Gracie fight.

And honestly, GSP showed tons of emotion for the BJ fight and even more for the Serra rematch.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Apparently some people were not impressed by Hooper’s performance.

• Makington says:

I got what you were saying Barrett, and I did agree to an extent. You did make valid points about GSP not really ever having exciting interviews. He mostly talks about how his opponent is extremely worthy which can leave some fans wanting more. My disagreement was how GSP is second to none in terms of respect, something I value very highly, and I want atleast one fighter staying like that. It’s not like we don’t see plenty of trash talking from other fighters like Tito, or Nick Diaz. He could make his interviews more exciting and personable but how respectful he is to everyone else makes me respect him all the more.

All the personal jabs at you because some readers don’t read thoroughly enough are obviously uncalled for. The point of an opinion piece is so that some will agree, some won’t, and you can talk about why. I actually find most, if not all, of your articles very thought provoking, and I’m glad you didn’t stoop to their level by throwing all your considerable writing credentials in their face Hooper. How respectful of you (pun intended)

• BigDave says:

Mr. Hooper just by you saying, “He’s like a French-Canadian Fedor in this regard. Except the UFC is relying on him to be the face of the promotion in a way that Fedor never has been. He needs to show excitement, enthusiasm, and deliver anything other than the seven soundbites he has relied upon in interviews for years. As some of you have pointed out, he’s like watching paint dry as a personality, so it wouldn’t hurt him to go off-script and get a sense of humour and show that he’s having fun.”

You make your whole article completely worthless. You compare GSP to Fedor who is likely the most talked about fighter in mma and the guy who if he was in the ufc would be able to have huge ppv buys even if they put him in the ring with a blind 1 armed dwarf.

GSP is one of the best marketed athelets not just in MMA but in sports today. He has huge contracts with gatorade and underarmor and every card he is on is sold out in seconds and ppv buys are threw the roof. Not to mention they put GSP on the cover of there Video game aswell.

So in what way would him changing anything about what he says or does make him more marketable then he already is. try using just a bit of logic next time you write an article and don’t try to bash a guy that is as good and likeable as gsp just because you seem to not like him.

• Pajamashark says:

He’s a really good guy, an amazing fighter, and totally boring outside of the cage. The only glimmer of personality I saw was when they were running the pre-fight series of him and BJ Penn. I had high hopes when he was in his cute LL Cool J ensemble before hitting the clubs… but the segment ended with him praying with his family before dinner. I think. I might have fallen asleep at that point.

If he coaches on TUF I would welcome the chance to get to know him a bit better. However, I would also be totally happy that GSP would probably have a huge impact on the professionalism of the show. Refocus back on fighting and not the sick sad drama of this season.

Slightly OT: “GSP- The Fragrance for Men” would smell like ass-kicking, poutine, and BJ Penn’s tears, I bet.

• edub says:

BigDave: Not to mention they put GSP on the cover of there Video game aswell.

Forrest is on the cover of the main game. If GSP is on any cover its a special edition type release.

• edub says:

Barrett Hooper: I’m pretty sure most of you are missing my point

I think thats your problem right there. Its an opinion piece so you can write whatever you want, but realize that probably about 10% people who frequent this site see any validity to it. We see the point you are trying to make, and judging from the comments I’m not alone in thinking its a terrible point.

• edub says:

• David Andrest says:

edub: Oh no everybody disagrees with one of the writers articles. The sky is falling. Andrest to the rescuuueeee!

so good I voted you up.

• king mah mah says:

Mostly what I see here are a bunch of GSP jock sniffers!

I thought it was a decent article. Let the thumbs down begin!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“Michael Jordan wasn’t above a little trash talking and he’s one of the greatest – if not the greatest – sports brands in history, with clothing, movies, cologne, you name it”

Great fighter, one of the best, but no respect from me as far as honor or class goes. Sorry but thats the way I see it.

• Dufresne says:

MMA-LOGIC: GSP has his own brands of products. Like his range of fighter grease “Grapple Off”, “Breathing Technique” and “It’s not the fist time”. I beleive he has a sellection of knee pads for when you are caught out when begging for a title shot. He also has an album out with hits such as “Don’t call me Frenchy” , “It was a fight I had to lose” and a remake of the famous 70s hit “Grease lightning”.

I obviously disagree with you but that has to be the funniest thing I’ve read on 5oz’s in a long time.

• edub says:

Yea Im with Dufresne. Bravo sir.

• Ray Pist says:

I don’t believe GSP should change one bit…he is who he is…if he is faking being nice then change, if he generally feels the way he says he does about his opponents then don’t become a fraud…be yourself….but as far as the marketing end of things goes…this is where cross promotion is so great because you have the two promoters hyping the fighters…and yes the fighters can hype themselves if they feel inclined to do so.

I’m not saying its going to happen or any other promotion has enough fighters currently for the UFC to warrant doing a cross promotion…although I would so dearly love a couple of them….but right now Dana can only Hype UFC the brand….for instance Dana can’t come out and say GSP is going to wipe the floor with Hardy, it won’t even be a fight….GSP is an animal…Hardy doesn’t have a chance….when he knows he has to turn around and resign hardy in 3 months…you know what I’m saying…the format works great for the UFC I guess as a whole…but it does hurt those really superior athletes who aren’t as flamboyant.

Personally I believe Dana has enough pull and is a good enough promoter to pull off what I’m suggesting and still remain at the top, I think most people would sign with him, and trust his promotional skills….Dana and the UFC would still be rich, the Fan’s would get to see every fight they always dreamed of seeing, HOWEVER….Dana and the UFC would not be as rich as what they envision as the future where the UFC is the NFL, or MLB…but the worldwide version of, and everything else is just the minor leagues…..where no athlete at the top of their game wouldn’t play…sure some of the old foreign ones might go join a small league over in europe before they retire ala the NHL at the moment…..but what the Dana and the Fertita’s envision as the UFC becoming is exactly what Dana has been preaching for years….IT’S GOING TO BE THE BIGGEST SPORT IN THE WORLD….BIGGER THAN THE NFL….BIGGER THAN SOCCER….and what they are currently creating is in essence just that…the brand is taking off…it’s the number one brand by far here in North America….now in the UK as well. Brazil is a giant market that I believe is theirs for the taking with all the Brazilian stars in the UFC.

Alot of people badmouth M-1 Global because they so dearly wanted to see Fedor vs Brock….But M-1 has been building in the eastern block of Europe, as well as some of western Europe, and Korea what the UFC has been in the USA/Canada. The money they make their isn’t what the UFC makes here…but Dana wasn’t willing to give in to Pride back when the UFC wasn’t number 1….and M-1 isn’t going to give in Dana while they aren’t number 1….and you know what when I think of the money that both are envisioning as their end goal…I can’t really blame either…Think about what you yourself would do for 10,000 dollars…..think about that…10,000 grand cash…how far would you go what would you do if it was offered to you….now multiply that by 100,000…that’s the kind of money we are talking…so for that kind of money would not be willing to give up half your company….or on the other side…for that kind of money would you be willing to not give up your golden goose for pennies compared to what you see as what could be?

• Ray Pist says:

wow that was supposed to be 100,000,000 not 100 g…lol

• BigDave says:

edub:

GSP was on the cover in canada and forrest in the u.s. I beleive

• submit662266 says:

I read a short comment about when GSP told M Hughes “I am not impressed with your performance” and how that back-fired on him. He already tried being controversial and that is not who he is. With GSP, what you see is what you get (which is admirable and respectable). GSP: there isn’t anything broken at this point: don’t change a thing.

If you want someone who is a fighter and an actor, hire Rampage. The down-side on that is Rampage is a complete ding-dong (an utter disgrace).

• edub says:

BigDave: GSP was on the cover in canada and forrest in the u.s. I beleive

Ah ok.

• Porsche930_Pilot says:

The point is that George is the way he is outside the ring and nothing will change that. What really matters is the way he is in the ring and we all know that. Plus I think it gets in his opponents head and they take his kindness for weakness.

• bigbadjohn says:

Good to see most people standing up and disagreeing with the author of this article. Usually the fact that an article has been published on a MMA website has most reader’s looking to agree with the writer’s argument.

But not here.

The true fans of MMA have spoken. Guys like Dan Hardy are sometimes effective in this sport by working in other fighter’s minds and evoking anger from their opponents but most fighter’s as proven and accomplished GSP, don’t. As much as I am a fan of Brock Lesnar’s no bullshit, brash way of approaching fights I am equally as impressed with GSP’s humility and respect. GSP expends 100% of his devotion to training and mental preperation, he leaves his opponent’s worries to his opponent.

To say St. Pierre can learn “a lot” from Hardy is a gross misrepresentation of Hardy’s ability to win strictly because of playing the ‘brat’ role. Maybe one day when GSP slips and falls you can question his fight strategies but until then this is the worst opinion piece I’ve read on 5ounces.

• bigbadjohn says:

And yes, GSP is on the Canadian cover of UFC Undisputed.

• fetussandwich says:

edub:

I never thought I’d ever agree with you on something, but the sun and the moon have aligned edub. GSP is already marketable, top tier talented, is one of the most recognizable faces in the sport, and was Canada’s 2008 athlete of the year. What would him starting to make a scene like he’s on The Real World Road Rules Challenge do for himself or the rest of MMA as a whole now or ever? Absolutely nothing.

Just because you write for a living doesn’t make you a good writer.

• madheartmma says:

Why does GSP have to change? To be more “human”? WTF? GSP is HIMSELF.Just like Lesnar, Hardy,Liddell, Tito, etc. Why front? GSP’s a rare breed. Not only will he USE the best fighters for highlight clips, and how-to clinics, but he ALWAYS shows them respect,and says things like ” you’re a great fighter, and a great opponent, thank you for taking this fight” (UFC 100). WTF? tell you this…I have a son, and I would love if he grew up and was a person who strives to become better, as a “HUMAN”. GSP nut-huggers? more like GSP haters.( why? cuz your girl thinks he’s cuter than you? so does mine, boo-hoo). And for those of you who have daughters…who would you want taking your daughter to prom? A “Hardy” or a “GSP”? There is a saying..”When you’re great..,they will hate”. So later…hater

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Anyone who uses terms like “fairly squarely” and ” ee cannot indull my riddum” is anything but dull in my book.

GSP is a true original.

• sexy-yama says:

this post is weak sauce, but nice attempt thou. is there ne truth to a rumor about tuf 12 sum nub named OMAR from og sez shields and gsp gonna coach tuf 12 after shields is finished with his contract and gsp beats hardy, btw this is the same guy who said kimo is dead

• sexy-yama says:

fetussandwich says: Just because you write for a living doesn’t make you a good writer.
    +1 Touche*

• sexy-yama says:

this is the worst thread i have read in a while piss weak

• sexy-yama says:

weak sauce
    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 10000000 Thumb down 0

• moosebaby02 says:

what happend to letting you fist do the talking????
    I know it has been said already but this is the WORST thing i have ever read on this site and it wasent some post from a reader as well.
    I pretty sure it was GSP who said his goal it become a legand of the sport.
    So i guess it’s his fault the he acts like an ADULT who dosent have to resort to childish mind games to get an advantage.
    In my experiance its the guys with the big mouths who are the ones who are scared
    once again the worst piece i have read on this site

• BigDave says:

Barret I think you need to find something new to write about. I checked out your blog and read a few of your articles and i think I may have been one of the only people to do so since looking at the 20 or so articles on the first 4 pages I;ve seen 4 comments total. So evidently you either have no fan base or people find your articles as boring as you seem to find GSP. Whom you wrote another article about him whereing the same suit to a couple different weigh-ins, and you also slagged the COuture vs Coleman fight which just goes to show that you really don’t know much about MMA or what the fans of the sport want to see. Now I know it may sound harsh coming from a guy who is by no means a writer but This is just how I see it from reading some of the stuff you wrote.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry am I meant to pretend that the officials weren’t warned about him greasing and then him getting caught red handed?. sorry I’ll wipe that cheating incident from my mind like so many others have. OK here we go… GSP is good and honorable, GSP is good and honorable, GSP is good and honorable. Nup! sorry doesn’t work I think other fighters warning the officials and then him getting caught is more proof than him saying it was an accidental thing. I wonder how many convictions there would be if we asked the accused if he was guilty and then based our sentence on what answer he gave. He CHEATED, they were warned!, he got caught!. GSP and his camp have a strong desire to win, too strong. So before we say that he is a goody-goody I think we should remember that Mother Teressa he ain’t.

• Porsche930_Pilot says:

Greasing? gimmie a break. He had no reason to cheat in the fight with Penn. He was all over him and Penn wasn’t even the one who first said anything about greasing, it was after he got his ass kicked that his corner came up with greasing crap. It was also pretty lame for fighters like Hugh’s and Serra to jump on board the shit wagon and accuse him because those guy’s would of been screaming if they had actually thought he was cheating, those fights were for the belt. He was cleared so try another argument.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

So are you saying they were not warned, he was not wiped down during the fight because of grease, Chuck Lidell didn’t stand up and scream it during the fight, and Penn didn’t say he had been warned and complain about it afterwards?