Brock Lesnar suffering from intestinal infection; UFC considering interim championship

BrockWhile the verdict is still out the specifics of the severity of UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar‘s current ailment that has forced him from his anticipated clash with Shane Carwin, UFC President Dana White has recently shed some light on the cloudy situation to the Associated Press.

“He’s in stable condition and should be released soon,” stated White.

It now looks as if the the mystery illness that was previously reported to be mono, is in fact a bacterial infection in his intestinal tract.

White further went on to state that Brock was not expected to make a return in the near future and that the UFC is currently considering an interim title while Lesnar is out.

Stay tuned to 5 Oz. as we continue to keep you up to date on the condition of the UFC heavyweight champion.

• moosebaby02 says:

i hope they just dont give it to someone or just put two guys in the cage and say winner gets the interm.
    Make a mini HW tourney. winner gets Carwin for the interm. you could put Carwin in the tourney as well but it would suck that you lose your #1 spot and have to fight for it again cause the champ is out

• RoadsideGraphix says:

Carwin vs ??? for the interim belt?

• batshield21 says:

I think they should have carwin/velasquez for the interim belt. Nogeuira is out via injury. Cain was the num 1 contender after carwin/lesner were supposed to fight at UFC 106/108 so they should go ahead with that match then nogeuira faces the winner of that match

• MacBatty says:

Nice idea Moose……I think a heavyweight tourney would be the most fun and fairest way to figure out who the interim champion should be….I also think Dana would never do it just because its too “PRIDE”…..Dana is going to lop 2 guys together and tell them whoever wins gets the fake belt.

If we did do a tourney who would be in it???

I got Carwin, Nog(If Healthy), Cain, Mir, Kongo, Dos Santos, Cro Cop (for Nostalgic reasons), Gonzaga…….

With Kimbo, Rothwell, & Alexander on the bench unless Nog cant fight or Cro Cop gets some dust in his eye…..& Kimbo Just for ratings!

• fanoftna33 says:

I hope they go back to a already scheduled then scrapped match of Carwin vs Cain for the interim belt. I would like to see Nog in there but with him being out I think the next title shot should go to him or Mir (if Mir beats Kongo).

• cere says:

Carwin and Valesquez were supposed to fight originally to determine #1 contender. This changed only when the UFC decided they needed an opponent sooner for Lesnar. With him out, I don’t see why they don’t just revert to the original plan and put Cain and Shane together to determine an interim champ.

• joshuawood says:

Whatever they do, they shouldn’t rush declaring an interim champ…that would lower the value of the title. I agree, they need establish a clear number two to face carwin. A few come to mind: Dos Santos, Velasquez, and the winner of Congo/Mir.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Agreed with Josh

The title was just defended in July. Why the rush? He could make a comeback well before a year. He just needs to get to 100%, THEN hit the gym to get the muscle back on. Either way, I still believe nobody has anything other than a punchers chance against him. Sure as hell won’t beat him with speed, stamina, or wrestling.

Get well, Champ

• Lerner17 says:

I’m almost willing to bet it was something along the lines of ulcerative colitis. One of the main symptoms of it is extreme fatigue and weight loss. I just hope the big guy gets better soon so he can do either one of two things: shut up his haters (everyone IS entitled to their opinion though), or make his fans happy.

• Lerner17 says:

Lerner17: I’m almost willing to bet it was something along the lines of ulcerative colitis.One of the main symptoms of it is extreme fatigue and weight loss.I just hope the big guy gets better soon so he can do either one of two things: shut up his haters (everyone IS entitled to their opinion though), or make his fans happy.

Should have been prove his haters right. Sorry, it’s been a looooong few days. Just wanted to clarify it myself before I get corrected :)

• moosebaby02 says:

Batty I know it wont happen as well but that was me just putting out a dream.
    Josh i forgot that Carwin vs Cain was suppose to happen before.
    I put $$$$ on Carwin BigDave….if it happens

• Dufresne says:

I think it may be a bit early to have an interim title. In no way do I want the UFC to mimic the Strikeforce HW debacle that is Alistar Overeem, but Brock just fought 6 months ago, not a year ago. Give him a few months to see how this develops, some people recover from illness and injury faster than others, and from the general lack of solid information we’ve gotten, I don’t want to jump to conclusions.

If they do have an interim belt, I would love to see a tourney style setting, and not just with the big name fighters. Everyone loves a Cinderella story, so why should we have to wait for March Madness for one? Set it up so that some of the young guns and unknowns get to fight some of the big boys, it’s a win win. We could find some diamonds in the rough, we get a better feel for who really deserves to be at the top of the heap, the newer fighters can discover holes in their game and see what it’s like to be on the big stage, and the UFC gets to have a great publicity stunt while giving their champ some time to heal up. If Brock is better by that time, the winner of the tourney gets the winner of Lesnar v Carwin, if not the tourney winner gets Carwin which would really cement the #1 contender spot.

• RU486 says:

All the talk about having Shane fight Fighter X for the interim belt is grand, except for one thing. Carwin is also out due to knee surgery. It was an elective surgery for a nagging injury he’s had for some time, but with his scheduled opponent out for a few weeks or months, he decided to get it done.

As far as contenders go, the main contenders have to be Nogueira (also out for a bit), and Mir (scheduled to fight Kongo). They each are the most recent champions, and only have 1 recent loss, Noguiera to Mir, and Mir to Lesnar. Then there are Carwin and Velasquez, coming in 3rd and 4th. That’s your tournament. After Mir destroys Kongo, pit him against Carwin (who should be well by then, say late February or March) and reschedule the Nog, Velasquez fight (Nog should be well by then). Winners face off for Interim Championship sometime around mid-summer. Hell by then, Lesnar could be back and heathy, and ready for a unification bout fall of 2010.

• cere says:

RU486: I thought Carwin blogged that he did not end up having the surgery and opted for rehab instead….might be wrong though.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I think he did go ahead and have surgery, just much less invasive than was previously thought. I believe his twitter says he should begin training in 3 weeks? I may be wrong

• cere says:

Bloodyelbow, watchkalibrun and sbnation are all reporting (via heavy.com) that he did not have surgery. They say that he was instructed not to do any grappling for 3 weeks, so that takes him out of anything until after UFC108.

• Clay The Caveman Guida says:

#1. Carwin tweeted he did not have surgery. Just rehab.

#2. Great idea regarding the Pride style tournament. I think it is possible. On the last episode of TUF, Dana was wearing a Pride t-shirt. Never thought I would see that, so you never know.

Hope Brock gets better. Not a fan of Brock the person, but love the fighter. He always makes it interesting.

• cere says:

Lorenzo and Dana were wearing the Pride T-Shirts a lot in the summer. In almost every interview from that time frame, they were wearing them. I think it was mainly because they were about to, or had just, announced the new Spike TV series that would show the old Pride fights of current UFC fighters….sort a “Pride Unleashed” though I don’t recall the actual name. Supposed to start airing early in 2010.

• Swing Em says:

I’m beginning to wonder if the UFC Heavyweight Belt is cursed…

It seems like there is always some sort of issue with the Champion, whether it be injury, illness, steroids or contract disputes.

I ask, WILL IT EVER STOP!?!?!?

• BigDave says:

Lets make the match that was originally schedualed Carwin vs. Velasquez. In my opinion they screwed Cain out of a shot to fight for the number 1 contender spot and now Dana can put it the right way and remake this fight for #1 contender again. Cain will destroy carwin and then when brock gets back Cain can go on to winning that fight to because he is the top HW in the UFC in my opinion.

• moosebaby02 says:

i say tournny i get thumbs down
    others say tournny they get thumbs up….what the F

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Here kids is your tourney
    Mir vs Kongo Dos Santos vs Nog
    Carwin vs Velasquez Cro Cop vs Arlovski

• Midget says:

Yourdaddydevilandlord: Here kids is your tourneyMir vs Kongo Dos Santos vs NogCarwin vs Velasquez Cro Cop vs ArlovskiThat gives tests to up and comers, solid fights for the established, and a loser leaves town last chance to prove yourself fight between Cro Cop and Arlovski. I see a bunch of solid fights in this, and imagine if the first round was on one card. Second round imagine a card with Carwin v Mir and Nog v Arlovski. By that time, hopefully Brock will be back, feed him a tune up fight,( no title) with Kimbo that will sell and actually if you think about it would be kinda fun to watch from a freak show aspect, and then after an almost certain(!?!) win, he fights the tourney winner for all the cheese. Joe Silva, I’m comin’ for your job!!!

Don’t think that Dos Santos and Nog would be willing to fight each other

• Dachman says:

I really like Carwin although I am not clear as to why he is such a clear cut number 1 contender. I would like to see him have to fight Mir or Nog like Cain was going to do. With Lesnar out they are going to have to have Carwin fight someone else. This whole thing with its not fair that Carwin having to fight someone else, get over it, line up someone else, does Carwin even have 10 fights yet???

With how serious Lesnar’s medical issues appear to be I would honestly doubt if we see him in 2010. If that appears to be the case I would say there has to be an interim championship fight at the least by mid-year.

• AbolishedEnigma says:

I love how everyone is getting so caught up in the Cain vs Carwin hype. Id say wait for Cain vs Nog, put Carwin v Mir first, and see if these two are worth their anticipated matchup…

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I think they should have Dos Santos V Carwin (when Carwin is ready) and Valasquez V Nog (again when Nog is ready) whilst waiting for Lesnar to get better and then if he is not then ready to defend, have a TITLE MATCH (not INTERIM) match in late 2010 between the winner of those 2 bouts. If he is ready to defend he faces the winner of Carwin vs Dos Santos and the winner of Valasquez V Nog faces Mir for the next shot. I say it should be a title match rather than interim match because I think you should defend your title every 7 mths or if injured with in 14 mths. If you can’t you lose it, simple.

P.S. this should be the way it happens anyway, but if it occurs that Dos Santos and Nog have to fight, would they? I doubt it.

• Jak says:

any combination of dos Santos, Carwin, Velasquez sounds great, throw in a todd duffee, pat barry. Add a little Nog, Mir and Kongo…

Hopefully we actually get to see some of these fights sooner rather than later.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

• Jak says:

MMA-LOGIC: do people think you should be able to hold the title forever without defending it?.

Alistair Overeem thinks so… :)

• Connor Cobain says:

Honestly they probably won’t do an interum and there is no reason that they should. Carwin is out but will probably be ready by the time Brock is ready they might do a fight to see who chalanges the winner of Carwin Lesner but I doupt that they would make there number 1 guy fight for an interum if Brocks not out for like 6 months.

• cere says:

Depending on how significant the surgery was, these type of operations can lay you up for ~8 weeks recovery time..and that is just to get back to being fully mobile, no guarantee you’d be up to training hard in two months. I think Brock is out for at least 4-6 months (2-3 recovery and recuperation 3 for full training camp and to get back into shape).

Carwin will be training again in 3 weeks.

• AbolishedEnigma says:

MMA-LOGIC: Why do people give negative ticks and not explain why? I mean interim means what? No.1 contender basically so why even have it?. If the injured fighter comes back after 14 mths he fights for the title straight away. Whats the difference? do people think you should be able to hold the title forever without defending it?. Perhaps it was me suggesting they should have somebody earn a title shot against the other top contenders?. Beats me.

I hear you man. Its an example of what has become of boxing, the know-nothing (or think they know more than they really do) fans get involved, throw in their highly illogical “two cents” statements and before long the sanctity of the sport is gone…

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah Overeem should have lost his title. I respect Le for handing his back.

• danw84 says:

AbolishedEnigma:
    I hear you man.Its an example of what has become of boxing, the know-nothing (or think they know more than they really do) fans get involved, throw in their highly illogical “two cents” statements and before long the sanctity of the sport is gone…

I’d say there’s more than just a few know-nothing-but-think-they-do fans here trying to throw around “logic.”