The Aftermath: UFC 105

MISC MMA Chez CoutureFace the pain, it’s time for a change. The saying goes that all good things must come to an end, and never has there been a finer example of this than the exhausted gladiator intro to the UFC brodcasts, complete with Stemm’s “Face The Pain”. This entrance has been around since what seems like the dawn of time. I’d be willing to bet that (counting Fight Nights and TUF Finales) the same introduction has been aired over eighty times at this point. I’ve been a UFC fan since Gerard Gordeau kicked Teila Tuli’s chompers out of his face, and maybe it’s because of this that the overplayed intro has the same effect on me as nails scratching across a chalkboard. I’m not going to lie, I used to get pumped every single time the gladiator dude would begin to don his armor…….. up to like 50 events ago. There may well be “no escape when I step to this” but quite frankly the opening montage is “ripping me into pieces”.

Ross Pearson just put himself on the UFC lightweight map in a big way. I was never blown away by Ross during his stint on The Ultimate Fighter. He looked to be a solid, well rounded fighter, but nothing really separated him from the rest of the UFC up and comers in my mind. All of that changed on Saturday evening as the Sunderland, England resident absolutely picked apart a six time UFC veteran with forty professional fights to his record like it was second nature. Aaron Riley is no joke, and he had Greg Jackson in his corner for the bout with Pearson, yet Pearson allowed him to have zero moments during the two rounds the one sided beating lasted. Pearson really impressed me with his vice-like clinch game, use of knees and elbows, technical boxing, takedown defense and overall strategy and composure in his first fight out of The Ultimate Fighter.

Enough with punching the unconscious guy already; I’m looking at you Andre Winner. By the way, impressive performance man. I was starting to become a fan, until you blasted Roli in the face twice as hard as you could when it was clear that he was unconscious. Is anyone else fed up with this nonsense? Delgado went down like a sack of bricks; it was clear he was out. To make matters worse, the way he slumped to the canvas, he was facing Winner, making it quite apparent to everyone in attendance that he was sleeping. Hellen Keller could have seen that. So what better time to tee off on a guy with two indefensible punches right? Wrong. That’s how people get seriously hurt in this business. One thing I’ve been able to observe in this sport is that fighters take note of that type of thing, and karma can most definitely be a b****. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before Winner himself takes a canvas nap, and he’s going to hope that his assailant uses more civil discretion than he did at UFC 105. Joe Rogan made note of the late shots a couple time following the knockout, but I would find it refreshing if Rogan would call the fighters out on their late hits during post-fight interviews in the future. Something like, “Is there something wrong with you? Could you not see that he was unconscious?” would suffice. Maybe it’s time to start fining fighters when this happens.

Getting clocked early in the first round was the best thing that could have happened to Michael Bisping. You just never know how someone is going to come back from a devastating knockout like the one Bisping received from Dan Henderson in his last bout. I was pleasantly surprised to see “The Count” come out looking much less tentative than he did in his bout with Henderson. Sure, Hendo is a harder puncher than Kang, but Denis is no pushover standing and Bisping looked like he hadn’t missed a step. Taking that right hand and coming back was huge for Bisping. He needed to get hit in this fight so he could gauge his chin and senses in general. Obviously he passed the chin check with flying colors; neutralizing Kang for the duration of the first round from his back, escaping the mount like it was second nature, and managing to throw up a couple submission attempts by the round’s conclusion. While Joe Rogan did a good job pointing out how well Bisping was doing defending in the opening round, I feel like he did an even better job when he concluded at the round’s end, “Excellent round for Kang”. In the second, Bisping did a tremendous job switching levels for the takedowns that ultimately forced the bout’s conclusion. Once he had Denis hurt, Bisping was like a shark in blood drenched waters and did a fantastic job sealing the deal. Easily the most impressive performance of Bisping’s career considering the circumstances.

What was up with referee Marc Goddard’s double standard in regards to the time allowed for Randy’s clinch and Vera’s takedown? Goddard allowed Randy to clinch Vera up against the cage while offering little to no offense for over two minutes on more than one occasions, yet when Vera scores a takedown he’s almost immediately being warned that he needs to work or they’re going to be stood up. I’m sitting there thinking, “Are you kidding me?”, and the next thing I knew it, he actually stood them up! I am still bewildered by his thought process and rationale in handling things the way he did on Saturday evening.

I had Couture vs. Vera: 29-28; Randy Couture. The controversy surrounding the scoring of this extremely lackluster headlining bout has left me scratching my head to some degree and I’ll explain why. Personally I had Couture taking the first, Vera taking the third, and I don’t really find either of those rounds to be disputable. So the round in question is obviously round two. So much has been made of the initial body kick that kicked off the combo that put Randy on the canvas, but it was the knee in the clinch that did the damage. The thing is, that blow didn’t come until right around the 2:10 mark, and up until that point Randy had been (as hard to watch as it was) controlling Vera against the cage. Once Randy went to the canvas Vera didn’t land a single blow of significance and the fight was brought back standing a mere 40 seconds later where Couture pressed Vera against the cage for the duration of the round, landing a few hard shots in the clinch just before the bell. That’s four minutes that Randy controlled that action and one minute for Vera. Randy’s overall control outweighed Vera’s moment in round two, but it wasn’t by a huge margin.

Whether he agreed with the decision or not, I feel like Joe Rogan was out of line screaming controversy at the end of what I considered to be an extremely close and hard to call fight. Alluding to the decision being terrible and something being wrong with the judging of the sport was just wrong in all kinds of ways. First of all, Rogan feeling Vera may have won is nothing more than his personal opinion. I personally felt like Couture won the fight by the narrowest of margins, but the fight wasn’t lopsided in either direction. It may very well have been a bad decision, but there’s no way that fight even ranks in the top fifty of the worst decisions in the history of the UFC. Why he chose to speak against this great injustice and deep seeded problem in this fight is beyond me. The last thing the sport needs is for people just tuning in recently to associate mixed martial arts with the terrible judging that has taken it’s toll on boxing in recent years.

• fanoftna33 says:

Bisping coming back the way he did was great, I dont like him much but I do think a agressive Bisping is a good fighter, when he plays the whole tap and run game he just sucks.
    What really surprised me was how good the Bisping vs Kang fight was and how bad Vera vs Couture was, I really thought it would be the exact oppasit.

• Vogairian says:

Good write up. Covered a lot of the stuff I was thinking about after the show was over. I do wish that they’d do something to stop the extra 2-3 shots that a lot of knockout victims are taking. I also had Randy winning, but I felt he took the first and third and Vera took the second.

• Rich S. says:

I agree on all points..

I’m willing to pardon Andre for the late blows, because, after watching it from another angle, Roli fell with his hands around or covering his head.. For a guy looking to win and win big, that could look like he’s hurt but not out, and blocking.. And even with the late blows, of two, one landed on Roli’s shoulder, and the other on the head.. So, really there was only one dangerous blow after the he hit the ground, and rather than being sprawled out (ala Wandy/Rampage 3) he was hurdled up and could’ve easily been passed off as blocking by a fighter..

Also, they REALLY must’ve been banking on Vera winning this fight..
    Not only was there so much talk about Vera having a chance to “defeat the legend”, when there was none of that during Couture/Gonzaga, Couture/Lesnar, or Couture/Nog.. But, we’re talking about Captain America, here.. Joe Rogan’s idol and hero.. Rogan would NEVER ask Randy if he’s surprised he won, or if he thinks it was controversial.. That should tell us something..

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

I really wish they could go 5 rds for main events, or even let the fighters and corners decide if they want to fight on or go to the scorecards after 3. Or hand them each axes for a sudden death round.
    Joe may have overreacted because of the Machida Rua fight and the perception that Randy just sumo clinched his way to boring victory. He is right about hating any standups though. Let the guys work through it, the ones who can’t will headline the next Dream card.

• qat says:

hey cory, did you steal my thoughts and put them there? wow, really, i totally agree.

but when you write change, i think it may be time to change the 10-point must system.

• JBAR says:

Vera is just as much to blame for the fight staying against the cage. His best chance to win was striking in the center of the cage but he did not do anything to break the clinch and escape, he just waited on the ref to do it for him.

• JBAR says:

With regard to strikes on a rocked opponent, it is the ref’s job to protect the fighter and the fighters job to win the fight. What would it be like if a fighter paused every time he thinks he has rocked his opponent? We would be setting here screaming WHY DIDN’T HE FINISH HIM WHEN HE HAD THE CHANCE!!! Especially if the guy rocked came back to win the fight.

• edub says:

Stuff I would have to respectfully disagree with

1. I love the intro. Its still amps me up for the fights.
    2. Ross Pearson impressed the hell out of me but I would still have him a very long way down the contenders list. Dont know if you were trying to say he is a contender or just saying he looked really good. If its the latter than my bad.
    3. Gotta play devils advocate for Andre here. Guys have right to punch until the ref stops em. Now how Andre didnt know that Roli was out by the overhand right I dont know becuase it was obvious to everyone i was with that he was. These guys get into mma knowing the risks. The refs need to also be better.
    4. How in the world is round two disputable. Vera had knockdown in the round and controlled randy for the majority of the five minutes. I think a case can be made for a vera 10-8 round more than a randy 10-9 round. Gotta watch it again but the hard shots near the end of the round your talking about I must have completely missed.

• Cory Brady says:

edub:

Stuff I would have to respectfully disagree with

1. I love the intro. Its still amps me up for the fights.

Just stating that Pearson is a solid lightweight to keep an eye on. Definitely not implying that he should be fighting for the title anytime really soon.

As far as Andre being able to strike Roli until the ref steps in; sure, he has that right, and I hope someone exercises that right all over his face the first time he gets KO’d. And he will be KO’d at some point.

• edub says:

• edub says:

Cory Brady: Please watch the seond round of Couture vs. Vera again edub. Vera did not control Randy for the majority of the five minutes in round 2.

Def will Cory. Trust your opinion a lot so definately will as soon as i get a chance.

• BennyProfane says:

Cory can you give me an example of a fighter getting seriously hurt in this type of situation? And also, give me an example of another fighter using it for cause of revenge.

If you’ve observed it – you’d provide examples.

• Snoop Dogg says:

I liked the article. I just have one question for you. Lets say you are somewhere and a fight breaks out between 2 guys. Now one guy presses the other against a building or a wall for 10 minutes and lands a few punches. While the other guy knocks down and takes down the guy who has been pressing him against a wall for 10 minutes who wins the fight? I would bet you would say the guy who took down his opponent and knocked down his opponent would be called the winner. Octagon control is a retarded concept and needs to go.

• Scott H. says:

Great Article Cory!

One other thing I’d like to throw out there, with regards to the “Enough with punching the unconscious guy already; I’m looking at you Andre Winner. ” comment.

Was it just me, or did it look like Matt Brown held back for a second after dropping Wilks with the flying knee, and then again a few monents later while beating on him… almost as if he wanted to make sure he hadn’t knocked him out. (I also remember Matt being reluctant to beat on another of his opponents in a badly refereed fight not to long ago). Matt ended up needing to go to the third round to finish Wilks, do you think his pausing contributed to the fight going on? e.g. wouldn’t he have been better off just beating on him until the ref steped in.

I actually really admire Matt Brown, and agree with your comment, just trying to play devil’s advocate.

• edub says:

Anybody know where I can see the Osipczak fight. From the pbp it looks as though he has improved immensely. I would love to see this scrap.

• king mah mah says:

Randy won the fight people, get over it. This was nowhere near the controversy that surrounded the Machida-Shogun fight. Before the score was announced I said 29-28 Couture. The judges were spot on.

• nope says:

Pearson was the biggest surprise of the night. He looked really good compared to his time on the show. I think he landed a few effective strikes w/ each fist, foot, knee, and elbow.

You guys here at 5 oz. really stepped up your game over the last 2 months. Good work.

• king mah mah says:

I was glad to see Bisping come back looking good after that loss to Henderson. I couldn’t believe how kept escaping and getting back to full guard. Impressive.

• jj says:

Not only does the broadcast introduction need something new and fresh both in terms of look and sound, the tale of the tape music has got to be the most annoying sound clip in the UFC and you don’t hear it just once. It sounds like someone sampled it from some terrible Christmas carols or some a cappella tango band.

I was hoping they would get rid of a bunch of this sort of crap with UFC 100 when they started showing some nice new clips, but nope.

• JBAR says:

Octagon control definatly counts. If the ref had not borke them up Vera would not have landed any of the kicks because he dang sure was not making an effort to get off of the cage. If the ref’s couldn’t break them apart like that it might make them work to get off of there themselves instead of just stalling and waiting on the ref to do it for them.

• Jak says:

I would agree, i’m getting pretty tired of Rogan yelling “Robbery” at the end of fights that i see going the other way relatively easily. Stout/Wiman was a perfect example.

That said, i learned to watch MMA fights on mute a long time ago. Realistically, while i don’t like Rogan that much, none of the other announcers in any Org are all that great…

• Makington says:

BennyProfane: “That’s how people get seriously hurt in this business. One thing I’ve been able to observe in this sport is that fighters take note of that type of thing, and karma can most definitely be a b****. ”Cory can you give me an example of a fighter getting seriously hurt in this type of situation?And also, give me an example of another fighter using it for cause of revenge.If you’ve observed it – you’d provide examples.

I will call you out instead of Cory, if you don’t mind. Rampage/Wanderlei 3 is a perfect example. Rampage got embarrassingly beat by Silva twice before in Pride. Not just bet but terribly KO’d. He had been bitter about it for years and had said some pretty dirty things to Wanderlei, starting a heated rivalry as a result. When they finished the 3rd bout before Christmas, Rampage had to know Wand was out like a light. Like Cory said, even Helen Keller would have been able to see he was out. Rampage took this opportunity to land a kind of falling hook right on his unconscious foe’s face. It was pure revenge, and pure grimy. Thank god he didn’t seriously injure Wanderlei, but it’s things like that, that can really cause some lasting effects to a fighter. Henderson do a jumping smash to Bisping’s face at UFC 100 is another example of unnecessary revenge. Like Cory said, they have the right, but as far as karma goes they deserve to be KO’d, with a few shots extra.

An example of a good fighter so we’re not too negative is Nate Marquardt. He laid Maia out completely in their fight, and as he was going to punch his downed ooponent, he had the frame of mind to see that Maia was done, and stopped his punch mid-throw. He could have clocked him a some really hard, but ultimately unnecessary shots without much complaint, but he showed true sportsmanship and respect by not needlessly bashing the other fighter’s face to mush.

• edub says:

Ok this has nothing to do with anything but ill bring this up anytime someone calls out Hendo or Marquardt on late shots.

Hendo did hit Bisping after he was out, and said he did it to shut his mouth. But if you’ve seen any interviews after it happened he said he was just playing to the crowd. Dan has laid off hitting Renzo, Chonan, and Bustamante when they were unable to defend them selves.

And Nate “the Saint” Marquardt is still the only fighter I have seen to actually punch an opponent in the face after being submitted. He then got kicked in the face for it.

• kuboa says:

Speaking as a fan of Rogan, I was frankly shocked at his comment about the judging. It was neither the time nor place to raise those concerns. Moreover, given his status in the organization, he could well have hurt the UFC brand if he’s giving new fans the idea that fights aren’t won on merit. I don’t care so much personally about that last point, but if I were Dana I’d call Joe onto the carpet.

• Makington says:

• JBAR says:

Makington: I’m not trying to say that Nate is a saint, and Hendo is a giant douche edub. Hendo is usually an extremely respectful fella, and I haven’t ever seen him in a verbal war. In that case though, and I don’t think anyone will say different, he really didn’t need to give Bisping that extra, potentially threatening shot. It’s not the injury you take to the head that’s dangerous, it’s any damage you take afterwards. Concussions themselves aren’t much, but getting punched again after a concussion leads to long term effects. Look at Muhammed Ali, he can’t even hold a cup of water without spilling it from all the shots he took over the years.And when Nate reacted against Renzo or Rickson (I forget which Gracie lol) it was because he held the choke even after Nate had tapped. It wasn’t on the scale of Babalu/Heath, but it looked like he purposefully held it for an extra second or two just to prove a point. I might have reacted the same if someone refused to let go after I tapped.But I’m not judging them as people edub, both those are some cases still fresh in people’s mind where shots after a KO went a little far.

Fault the ref not the fighter. Protecting the fighter is the ref’s job. It is a fighters job to fight until the ref stops them. That is how they train and the decision to follow up with another strike is made in the blink of an eye.

• Makington says:

edub: But if you’ve seen any interviews after it happened he said he was just playing to the crowd. Dan has laid off hitting Renzo, Chonan, and Bustamante when they were unable to defend them selves.

That’s also a good point worth bringing up if anyone is thinking Henderson is some gun crazy fool. He showed just as much class as Nate did against those opponents. Renzo was knocked literally senseless with Dan towering over him and even though the ref took a little while to get to him, Henderson just walked away from it.

• Connor Cobain says:

edub: I gotta also agree with Joe here. Its not just this fight but a lot of decisions in and out of the UFC have been overshadowed by a little controversy. Shogun/Machida, Cerrone/Henderson, Curran/Mizugaki, This fight, Both of Javier Vasquez’s last fights, Omigawa/Sandro, Omigawa/Hioki, Griffin/Rampage, Condit/Kampman, Condit/Ellenberger, Henderson/Franklin, Hughes/Serra, Galva/High…etc. Its a problem that still encompasses all of mma and I think were getting to the point here where pressureneeds to be put against the athletic commisions to come with a better system and more educated officials.

• edub says:

Connor Cobain: Ok your list is fine until you get to that Griffin/Rampage fight. Griffin beat down Rampage, yes he got knocked down twice but he blew Ramp’s knee to hell, Almost submited him twice, and controlled the stand up. Everyone but Rampage and his corner new Griffin won it, STOP considering this a close fight! It wasnt

Ive seen the fight many times. I was just saying it was close because there is a lot of people i know who thought he won. I was actually at the fight the night and I thought Rampage won or it was a draw. 47-47. Now the more Ive seen the fight over time I still think it is very close and can see a case for awarding Rampage the decision in that fight..

However, my argument is more that there is too much of a gray area when there are this many disputable decsions. I actually give the fight to Forrest now 48-47.

• edub says:

Ah yea. My bad. I just get a little ampedwhen this stuff comes up and suddenly everyone wants to call Hendo a douche for what happend with Bisping and Wand. Thats is what a fighter is supposed to do. He had made that decsion to punch when his ooponent hadnt even hit the ground yet.

Whoever brought up the Rampage one I definately agree with. He even threw about 3 or 4 punches with the ref trying to pull him away.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

What guys like Hendo, Tank and Rampage did after they knew their opponent was out was just as bad if not worse than what Babalu did to get ousted from the UFC by holding the choke a little longer than he should of.