Jake Shields and Jason “Mayhem” Miller verbally duke it out on the Internets

Miller_vs_ShieldsThe fight may be over, but the war of words is just getting started.

Jake Shields and Jason “Mayhem” Miller may have settled things in the cage, but both are taking their fight to a new arena…Twitter.

There is no denying the dislike these two fighters have for each other. Prior to their match up at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers, both had spewed verbal assaults to one another, but the bad blood was thought to have ended after the decision win for Jake Shields.

Not so fast.

Miller started the internet exchange by posting on his Twitter account:

Jake, the worst damage you did was give me staph, zit covered leg humper

Shields countered with a picture of himself next to his belt collection, tweeting:

You seem upset

Never one to be outdone, Miller struck back in obvious reference to the near fight ending rear-naked choke that was cut short by the bell in the pair’s match-up:

hugged your way to all those? Let’s do it again, I’ll hold on after the bell this time

Which prompted Shields to (stay with me here) tweet:

Finally, Miller went all-out and posted a picture of, what he claimed was, “The lone damage from his fight- Staph Infection.”

While the Strikeforce Middleweight championship belt has been settled, it appears the beef between the two fighters will continue, at least on the internet….

• xtreme_machine says:

it is both of you guys fault

because in that fight you both showed me that you guys are not true championship material

i have seen a lot of championship fights but in that one i did not see any champion

either show me that you REALLY want to be a champion or STFP!

• xtreme_machine says:

next time put more time into training

instead of choreographing your entrance

[email protected]

• JBAR says:

I wish Jason had had another 20-30 seconds on that choke.

• JBAR says:

I would also bet that Jason got the “infection” at the after party not from Jake.

• Angry Mike says:

Yes, Shields was saved by the bell from the choke. But other than that, Shields controlled Miller with superior wrestling. Snotty posts just make Miller look like a sore loser.

• edub says:

Now thats a burn.

• Vogairian says:

edub: “I’m on to bigger & better fights like always. I mean ur last real win was when you beat up your girlfriend and got arrested.”Now thats a burn.

No joke…If Shields was that vicious in the cage he’d be unstoppable.

• sexy-yama says:

No joke…If Shields was that vicious in the cage he’d be unstoppable.<— i think his quoting mayhem, i dont like neither of these guys really but i give props to shields for moving up and pulling off a lay n pray after he nearly got choked out lol,hope to see cung le in more fights and see if his the real deal or not,i mean frank shamrock past his prime..

• ozz_the_powerful says:

“Shields controlled Miller with superior wrestling”

• JBAR says:

After he was saved by the bell he really went to lay and pray. I am also starting to think that if you are saved from a sure submission by the bell that it would be a good case for a 10-8 round. I watched a WEC replay last night of Jeff Curran vs Takeya Mizugaki and Curran had him in a choke at the end of both the second and third round. I thought the stand up was even but Mizugaki won by SD even though he made no attempts to finish the fight and was saved by the bell twice.

• RoadsideGraphix says:

I hate wrestlers that dont try to expand their game. Guys like Shields (Lay and Prayers) just make for BORING FIGHTS.

At least Miller is entertaining and since I am paying to be entertained I think he did his job on that night.

• Kuch says:

Shields might not be the most exciting fighter around, but Miller knew what his gameplan would be and did nothing to try and counter it. The result was Shields winning the belt and Miller having to revert to the internet to try and redeem himself. I’m not the biggest Shields fan, but he’s a smart fighter and does what he needs to win. Miller can talk all he wants about the choke, but I’d bet both fighters knew how much time was left in the round when that choke was set, and both knew Shields would be saved by the bell.

• Angry Mike says:

How do you describe a striker who loses to a wrestler and then complains about it? How about “flail and wail?”

• Ray Pist says:

ozz_the_powerful: “Shields controlled Miller with superior wrestling”I think not. Lay and pray, perhaps. Shields didn’t want to punch and that’s the bottom line.

I think you have this all wrong my dear friend…Miller wanted to punch…Shields didn’t let him and that’s the bottom line…..or it could have been put as Shields wanted to take Miller to the ground and did so with great skill and ease and that’s the bottom line!

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

They both suck, and yet Cung Lee is still afraid of them. Looking forward to seeing his movie on free tv and still changing the channel.

• Dachman says:

“How do you take somebody down and keep them there so you can win by “lay and pray?” The correct answer is “superior wrestling”, i.e., wrestling that is better than the opponent who has been taken down and who can’t get back up. And was it really “lay and pray?” Shields landed
    strikes while he had Miller on the ground. Last I heard the sport was called “mixed martial arts”, and wrestling is part of the mix. If you’re all about strikes, watch K-1.”

The problem I have with Shields is he really never committed to anything but the take down. Very little ground and pound never too close to any submissions. Sure using a point system he won and controlled with take downs and was able to hold Miller down at times. But if your calling this a “fight” he did not win “a fight” he won a decision in a MMA event. This is one were I would like the good old days of no rounds no judges. But that is not what we have and in the end Shields won.

• twyg says:

Yeah I was there and Shields won a legit disicion, but that was nothing to be proud of. That match ( I refuse to call it a fight ) reminded me of the Sherk/Franca fight. Shields just took Miller down and did just enough to not get it stood up. It was awful, and pained me to watch. I wish SF had a deeper MW division so Shields would lose that belt. One of the worst fights of the year. Niether guy should be happy with the display they put on, and they wouldn’t come close to a title shot in the UFC.

• Angry Mike says:

Part of the criticism of Shields–“lay and pray” decision–should be directed to Strikeforce’s rules. The org. doesn’t allow elbows to a downed opponent. Taking those away from a fighter in top position really limits his ground and pound.

• Ray Pist says:

Angry Mike: Part of the criticism of Shields–”lay and pray” decision–should be directed to Strikeforce’s rules.The org. doesn’t allow elbows to a downed opponent.Taking those away from a fighter in top position really limits his ground and pound.

This takes away from the top person’s GnP game, but it does add alot to the bottom fighters game if the guy on top is being active. When you can’t keep your arm bent elbow on your opponents face, and just drop short little elbows usually causing little to no damage other than fight ending cuts, in order to GnP you must extend your elbow to throw a punch, if your chest to chest this let’s the bottom guy attempt a kimura or key lock, if your postured up it gives the bottom guy a chance for an arm bar or triangle.

If the organization does not allow for elbows, and the top fighter is reluctant to leave himself open for a submission by the bottom guy the Ref must be diligent in keeping the action going or stand the fight up.

I am going on a tangent here… so please bare with me lol

Jake Shields put the Ref in a very hard spot during this fight, although he wasn’t reigning down punches and fight ending blows, nor was he putting Miller into near fight ending submissions he was remaining active. He was maintaining top control, whilst always looking to pass to a more prominent position…this isn’t the most entertaining way to go about a fight, but then again if you want that go watch some wrestling entertainment….I do believe though as the sport evolves Ref’s will no longer consider going between full guard and half guard for an entire round as being active, and the judges will also begin to take into effect that the guy on the bottom didn’t let the guy on top damage him….or at least I hope the sport will evolve this way.

sorry more tangent….the judges need to think about something…if they…untrained in fighting … out on the street and some guy ran up and took them down…put them on their back…and started to fight them how would they fare? Well most people are lost on their back, being on top gives a huge advantage to being able to inflict punishment as the punches from the bottom aren’t hard so you don’t have to worry about getting caught so much (yes i know of up kicks)….so taking that into consideration if I get my opponent down in a fight…and am unable to inflict any damage…who did better that round? I don’t know something to ponder….well of course if the opponent pulls guard to bring it to the ground then the ball is in their court to inflict the damage….I guess what I’m saying is whoever takes the fight to the ground…if they are unable to inflict damage or attempt a finish I don’t think they are winning.

Last part of the tangent.

We saw this same fight but on the feet at UFC 105 with Couture defeating Vera. Couture used his wrestling and clinch to tie Vera up…he wasn’t landing bombs, but he would throw the odd short punch just to let the Ref know he was active…Vera was kept against the fence for the judges sake….but it wasn’t the punches that kept the Ref from breaking the action…it was the constant jockey of position…Couture kept going for under hooks and fighting for a superior position. To me it honestly looked like after part way through round 2 couture gave up on attempting the take down…knew he was better in the clinch…kept Vera tied up…got an underhook….LET VERA take away that underhook…then did it all over again….to be honest I think Vera would have been better off letting Randy keep the underhook so he could no longer advance position and making the Ref restart them…but as it stood they were constantly moving fighting for position in the clinch…and Randy was winning that war…and the Judges took note.

Personally I think Vera won the clinch because Randy obviously wanted the takedown…and he couldn’t get it…and Vera was the one with the only real takedown of the fight…..plus vera dropped Randy….but that isn’t how North American based promotions are set up….North Americans base is wrestling and our system is somewhat biased towards wrestlers…but then again I think a slight bias towards wrestlers as a whole is better than a giant bias towards Japanese fighters as a whole like we see in some other places which may be named a little later…haha

For the Record I scored both fights the same way the judges did, and would have been shocked had it gone the other way…..however if this was a Dream/Sengoku event in Japan I would have given Vera the nod…Shields still would have won. I judge the fights at home the way I am told the judging is based on by the organization putting on the show…and yes it does make a difference at times.

I apologize for the ridiculously long post, thanks to those who read it

• Angry Mike says:

Interesting points, Ray, but I’m a big fan of elbows on the ground. I think they make for a quicker pace. Just the threat of a cut motivates a fighter in full guard to quickly move to a submission or get the hell up if he can. And the ability to drop the elbows from top position opens up the gnp and makes a takedown worthwhile. Elbows from the bottom (think Kenny Florian) make lay and pray less attractive.

• edub says:

Ray Pist: For the Record I scored both fights the same way the judges did, and would have been shocked had it gone the other way…..however if this was a Dream/Sengoku event in Japan I would have given Vera the nod…Shields still would have won. I judge the fights at home the way I am told the judging is based on by the organization putting on the show…and yes it does make a difference at times

Good post.

I still gotta disagree in that Randy was pressuring Vera in the clinch but that shouldnt be considered control. It looks to be more stalling and Couture shouldnt have been rewarded points for it. I didnt give Couture a single round in that fight, and(this is for you cory) I still dont after watching three times.I think his best round was the 2nd and unfortunately for him it was also Brandon’s best.

Angry Mike: I believe Elbows are a neccesity for all the points you just made. If anyone thinks they are just for cuts than I advise you to watch Stevenson vs. Fisher, Riggs vs. Lytle, Riggs vs. Grove, or any GSP fight.

• Ray Pist says:

I agree..personally I think knees to the head of a downed opponent as well as kicks should be aloud…it would actually make side control a good position to be in again. I guess what I was trying to say was if no elbows are aloud and because of that no shots are being attempted the ref needs to stand it up…and going between guard and half guard isn’t action enough…it’s just saying you are in a stalemate, your opponent is too good to let you get beyond half guard and your not good enough to advance beyond that position, if you don’t advance to something more dominant than half guard in 3 attempts at doing so…give the fighter 30 seconds per attempt….and while your doing this your not throwing any shots STAND IT UP…not having elbows on the ground should be a HUGE advantage to the standup fighter if he has an active guard…..i do like elbows on the ground but it makes the Ref not have a real reason to stand them up if he is in the guard or half guard landing a bunch of little elbows because that is being active…your throwing and landing stuff even though it probably won’t be fight ending unless it is a cut….but your right it makes the guy on the bottom think…as would knees to the head so many times where i’m looking at a guy and saying…dude in pride you would be dead…literally…DEAD in this position…..yet the guy on top can’t do dick all other than lose his position

• Ray Pist says:

Edub

I don’t understand how you can’t say Randy was controlling it…he had Vera against the fence…and was usually the one getting the underhooks…..was it stalling YES…but if your a judge you have to give it to Randy…if your going to blame…blame the REF…the REF should have seperated those two about a hundred flipping times…gives Randy about 4 yellow cards….you understand what I’m getting at.

You can’t blame judges for that….based on what you saw…RANDY CONTROLLED….was it bullshit control…YES….but you can judge based only on what you see…not what you think you should have saw…the Ref is to blame, they were in stalemate…but Randy was the at the advantage of the stalemate if that makes any sense.

This is the same as going between guard and half guard for 5 minutes…it shouldn’t be considered active and the Ref should stand it if nothing is happening….but if your the judge and you have to score who controlled it and the Ref didn’t do his job and stand it…well sadly the guy on top controlled it…unless the guy on bottom was constantly going for and almost getting submissions of course….I think the REF’s need to be able to see a stalemate and stop it much better than they are doing.

• Ray Pist says:

Also … remember North American Judging favors the wrestler…the Cage favors the wrestler….judges in North America consider pinning your opponent in a position as winning…and the cage let’s them do that with ease if they are the physically stronger individual regardless of skill and technique!

Ropes suck because they need to reset fighters which let’s them rest and recover…the cage let’s the stronger man pin his opponent and get BS decisions…the reffing needs to change…and the surface/ring/cage needs to be altered…as well as judging needs to be fixed….let’s face it our sport is in its infancy….many changes need to and will eventually take place!

• edub says:

Ray Pist: but if your a judge you have to give it to Randy

I see your point.

Still disagree completely.

• BigDave says:

I think there is an easy solution to boring lay and pray fights. Put in a rule that says that once down on the ground if you are not doing anything to improve your position within 30 seconds it is stood up.that way it isnt taking away from a wrestler ability to take a guy down but it is stopping him from just holding him there without doing anything. After all it is MMA not wrestling, if you cant bring more to the table then lay and prey then you dont need to be in MMA.

• Dufresne says:

Ray Pist: I agree..personally I think knees to the head of a downed opponent as well as kicks should be aloud…it would actually make side control a good position to be in again.

I completely disagree with this. Kicks to the head have a huge potential to be not only dangerous but potentially fatal. Think about the catastrophe a death would be for MMA, not just for the fighter and his/her family, but for the sport in general.
    Many mainstream media outlets and many more average people still think of this sport as “human cockfighting” or as a “blood sport” and this would just prove their point.
    If you remember, the first fight of the UFC actually ended in a kick to the face of a downed opponent, I would put money on it that if if this was allowed, the last fight of the UFC would end the same way.

• Ray Pist says:

Dufresne:

But we would get to see who the better fighter was that night….and that is what’s more important. If a few lives can’t be spared for the cause of entertainment…is that cause really worth it? A few people had to die to end slavery….and we revere those people….so if Miller took a couple of fatal knees to the head and we lost the opportunity to have more seasons of bully beatdown to free our sport from the slavery that is Lay and Pray….so be it

I apologize to all those who have lost loved ones due to knee’s to the head, knee’s to the head of a downed opponent is a series ailment that 1 in 3 American’s will either be effected or know someone who is effected by knee’s to the head. Common side effects may include but are not limited to; Profuse Drooling, endless stutter, crooked jaw, flat-nose :)

• Angry Mike says:

Ray:

I think you’ve just described the Speaker of the House or Representatives and the Senate Majority Leader in the U.S. Congress.