Gray Maynard vs. Nate Diaz & Efrain Escudero vs. Evan Dunham set for UFC Fight Night 20

efrain_escuderoLightweight match-ups pitting Gray Maynard against Nate Diaz and Efrain Escudero up against Evan Dunham have been confirmed for the main portion of UFC Fight Night 20.

Maynard vs. Diaz will act as the main event, with Escudero vs. Dunham serving as the co-headlining attraction of the night.

The event has been scheduled for January 11 from the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Virginia, airing live on Spike TV.

The bout between Maynard and Diaz will be a rematch to the pair’s meeting during their mutual stint on fifth season of The Ultimate Fighter. A bout Diaz won via second round guillotine choke.

Maynard has gone undefeated in his stint with the UFC, putting together six consecutive victories over the likes of Frankie Edgar, Jim Miller and Roger Huerta, while Diaz submitted Melvin Guillard in his last outing after a pair of losses to the likes of Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida.

The lightweight winner of TUF 8, Escudero recently knocked Cole Miller senseless in his first outing since the TUF Finale during UFC 103, while Dunham is fresh off of back to back Octagon victories over Per Eklund and Marcus Aurelio. Both men sport undefeated records.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think this will be a interesting fight, with Maynards striking being so improved since the show, and him being able to dictate where the fight goes I think he will walk away with a ud here. I think he has the ability to do what Gulliard did in round one of his fight with Diaz but acually keep it up fpr three rounds. I dont think Gray has any way to finish Diaz here though and if he gets sloppy for even a second Diaz has more than enough skill to end it, but I will still go with Maynard with a UD.

• Makington says:

I really hope Gray can take this fight. He’s always been quick to point out to people that he isn’t undefeated, since he lost to Nate on show, and there’s literally no better time to pay him back. Not only would he be paying back the guy who beat him, he would be beating the eventual winner of the show, and I think the fight has title shot implications. If Gray wins, that means he’s beat Emmerson (in my mind), Edgar, Siver, Clementi, Miller, Huerta. I wouldn’t have complained if he got the shot after Huerta, but if he can seal the deal here, I think he should definitely get the next shot. If he could possibly even finish Nate, that would be huge for him. I think this will be his toughest fight, because of how dangerous Nate is off his back. Nate has a huge reach advantage on the feet which might make Gray want to take the fight where he’s best, which would be where he’s most vulnerable.

As for Ephraim, I really don’t think he will have too much trouble with Evan. Evan has good power in his hands, but I don’t think he can match Ephraim with wrestling and BJJ.

• nate says:

• Makington says:

nate: diaz, diaz, diaz! i hope he puts a sudden halt to maynards’ grinding 6-0 roll to the title shot. i love spoiler victories!

You’re just saying that because you’re probably him.

I think it will be Gray’s toughest test, but it will put the title picture in a weird spot if he loses. Who would get the next shot if he lost, since he’s one of the few really gunning for one right now? Of course, you could say Frankie Edgar, but in that case they should have given him the shot after Sherk. Having him face Matt Veach seems like the worst stepping stone to a title shot I’ve seen. It’s like giving Thales Leites the title shot after he beat Drew McFedries.

• nate says:

lol! if i was a diaz i wouldnt be such a bitch at fighting people..unfortunately im just your average dummy my wrist would break if i punched anyone.

• JBAR says:

Don’t much like Diaz out of the cage but I love to watch him work on the ground. He is one slick BJJ practitioner.

• tybo1972 says:

I think the only Real title contenders except for Edgar are in the WEC. Gray, Diego, Nick and anybody else would get humbled by those guys. Though none of them would beat Penn. Oh and why does Edgar get a step down after dominating Sherk like he did? If anything a rematch with him and Gray with that winner having a title shot.

• JBAR says:

I am waiting to see how KenFlo does in a new camp. A change of scenery may make alot of difference for him.

• Bullylover says:

diaz via2nd round triangle or guillotine choke.War Diaz.