Georges St. Pierre vs. Dan Hardy Set For UFC Welterweight Championship

Dan HardyA welterweight championship clash between Georges St. Pierre and Dan Hardy is official for the near future as the UK based “Outlaw” took the fight to Mike Swick during this evening’s UFC 105 card to earn his crack at the crown.

Hardy was impressive this evening as he forced the action and imposed his will on Swick in the clinch, as well as during the exchanges, to come away with the most pivotal victory of his career in front of his hometown fans in England.

St. Pierre was on hand at the bout’s conclusion to extend Hardy his congratulations on the victory, and to promote the bout that Mike Goldberg confirmed at the conclusion of the Hardy vs. Swick clash.

There is no news currently available as to when St. Pierre vs. Hardy will be scheduled for, but stay tuned to FiveOuncesofPain.com as we keep you up to date on the match-up specifics.

• hindsightufuk says:

really really pleased for Dan, but i cant see him being able to stop Georges takedowns. Would like to have seen Dan fight Koshcheck & Alves before getting the shot

• ozz_the_powerful says:

I honestly don’t see what difference it makes. Alves is a better wrestler and spent most of the fight on his back. He got demolished in his fight against Pierre. What can Hardy offer that everyone else hasn’t been able too?

I’ll still buy it though : )

• cocoonofhorror says:

this will be a one sided ass kicking.

• fanoftna33 says:

Hardy could have had the ko here if he hadnt tried to take Swick down every time he hurt him.

• fanoftna33 says:

On a side note, I cant wait to see how Hardy tries to play the mental games with GSP.

• Makington says:

I was thinking that too fan. It seemed everytime I was thinking, ‘Alright, pounce on him Hardy!’ is when he would clinch and let him get his bearings. Swick’s face looked a little deformed after their fight, showing how much Hardy did to him. It will probably look like Hardy’s fight after GSP.

I’m hoping they set this fight up soon, Hardy took almost no damage, GSP is 100%, and there is quite the injury bug going around right now that is stealing all the main event fights (Lesnar, Nogueira, Silva, Machida). I wouldn’t mind seeing this fight as early as UFC 108, or 109.

• Makington says:

fanoftna33: Also I am really glad Swick was unable to give the runner up trophy back after the fight.

GSP can hardly speak regular english as it is. All GSP can do if Hardy tries to be witty to him is look at him weird. It has been noted that GSP’s greatest battles have been with the English language.

• Jak says:

I’m happy for this fight. Before this fight Hardy had little chance against Quick Swick, and he proved all the “experts” wrong with a solid beatdown.

Do i think he’ll win? not likely. But i’m happy to pay for this one.

• Connor Cobain says:

You know its stuff like this that makes me mad. Koshcheck is one of the best welterweights and he’s never had a title shot. Dan Hardy, really? He’s kind of pathetic when you compare him to the other top strikers at welterweight. But I guess he’ll just get beat by GSP then Marcus Davis can get that rematch with Hardy and hopefully beat him down this time.

• bigbadjohn says:

??? GSP is actually speaks english quite well.

• bigbadjohn says:

GSP actually* Wow, I guess I can’t speak english very well.

• Jak says:

Why would Koscheck be more deserving?

Hardy – 20+ wins, beat Markham, Davis and top Prospect Quick Swick. Has a great chin, great patience and hasn’t had a bad fight in the UFC>

Koscheck – He lost to Gsp, He lost to Alves, He lost to Thiago, he’s going to lose to Rumble, leaves himself wide open with his striking, rarely uses his strength in wrestling and his recent wins are over guys who most don’t consider top prospects in Frank Trigg, Yoshiyuki Yoshida and Chris Lytle…

Yeah.. Kos is real deserving.

• Niv says:

• BigDave says:

GSP may be in tough here cause hardy is really funny and……..Oh wait thats Laurel and Hardy, but it could be a challenge because he may get caught in the twist of fate or the swanton bomb……. No, thats the hardy boys…. Hmmmm……Oh Dan Hardy Ya GSP is gonna smash the brit then go out for some fish and chips.

• Angry Mike says:

Hardy couldn’t finish Swick or Davis so that’s the measure of his striking. On the other hand, GSP has beaten Alves, Penn (twice) and Fitch. I’d bet the house on any of those three against Hardy. I really hope Hardy pulls some smart-ass stunt with GSP like the runner up trophy. It could be Bisping/Henderson all over again.

• Jak says:

Angry Mike: Hardy couldn’t finish Swick or Davis so that’s the measure of his striking. On the other hand, GSP has beaten Alves, Penn and Fitch. I’d bet the house on any of those three against Hardy.

What an odd argument… You say Hardy couldn’t “finish” Swick or Davis, but highlight 2 wins by Gsp where he couldn’t “finish” his opponents. I think your measuring stick is broken. :)

• Angry Mike says:

GSP thoroughly manhandled Alves and Fitch. Hardy hasn’t had a win of that caliber in the UFC. And in Penn/GSP 2, GSP thoroughly destroyed Penn. What has Hardy done that’s even close to any of those? I’m sticking with the stick.

• MMApride19 says:

Niv: I like Hardy but unfortunately this is a ho hum match up as GSP is going to destroy him. I guess this is the problem when you clean out a division. Hardy isn’t in GSP’s league, but I guess the thing that will always get people to watch this (besides GSP’s skills) is the fact that he’s been beaten buy someone who had no business beating him before.

I agree, but also i think nobody in the WW division is at the level of GSP yet. I honestly think GSP, at this moment in time, could defeat ANYBODY in the WW division. However… anything can happen in a fight. Hardy has proved to me that he has immense power, especially in those hooks. He shows great patience, he shows great composure, he has shows great skills, a great attitude. IMO, after that win over Swick, he most definetly deserves a title shot. He has looked very impressive so far. Im from the UK, and so i am very pleased to see Hardy get this shot. And i will definetly be cheering for him. If he defeats GSP, it will be HUGE for MMA in the UK. So im hoping it will happen. However.. i think GSP’s takedowns are just too much for anybody at the moment. He is a notch above the competition. And will continue to be that way at least for another year IMO. I see him eventually being the most dominant WW champion in UFC history. I really do, as im sure many of you do aswell.

In the fight.. I see GSP doing what he does best, taking down and GnP. For any chance of winning, Hardy needs to drastically train his wrestling, with WORLD CLASS wrestlers, he needs to constantly train in takedown defence. He needs to ensure his BJJ is the best he can possibly get it. His ground game just really needs to be perfect. If he can stuff GSP’s takedowns, or at least scramble if and when he is taken down, Hardy has a great chance of winning. His striking does look very good… So he could catch GSP when GSP comes in…

Anyway.. as i said.. anything can happen in a fight. Even though i dont give Hardy a BIG chance in winning the fight, he still has a chance. So i will be waiting in anticipation for this fight, and will be cheering and supporting the first UK fighter in the UFC to get a title shot.

• Jak says:

Angry Mike: . Hardy hasn’t had a win of that caliber in the UFC. And in Penn/GSP 2, GSP thoroughly destroyed Penn. What has Hardy done that’s even close to any of those? I’m sticking with the stick.

You’re right, Hardy hasn’t had a win that is of the calibre that Gsp has of defending his title. Hardy doesn’t have a title, so no fight he has can be of that magnitude.

That said, hopefully you realize i’m talking somewhat in jest and not saying Hardy is as good as Gsp…. maybe my emoticons are broken…. :)

• ByronGiant says:

clinch, take down, GnP, remove arm at shoulder… 37 seconds

• MMA-LOGIC says:

• Jak says:

MMA-LOGIC: Hang on there is Koscheck, Alves, Hughes, Karo, Fitch, Trigg etc, etc. Again they give a guy a title shot who just skips ALL of the top Talen

Sorry, but i would easily put Hardy above Trigg, Hughes, Pariysan.

Fitch and Alves already lost to Gsp, so much like every MMA organization they won’t make another prospect potentially get beat and lose a contender.

They have given Kos multiple chances, he stepped up and lost to Alves, they gave him a gimme fight and he lost to Thiago… but yet, people still think he is deserving of something even though he loses all the big fights. His recent wins are not over top competition.

Is Swick a top contender? Probably not, they’ve got to give it to someone. After Rumble beats Koscheck by tko, he’ll be next in line and everybody will be happy.

• MMApride19 says:

MMA-LOGIC: I may have to eat my words here but is there a talent drought in the UFC WW division or something because this seems like it shouldn’t be happening. Don’t get me wrong I think Hardy is great but a world beater?. If Hardy wins I’ll eat humble pie but can anyone imagine that actually coming true?. Hang on there is Koscheck, Alves, Hughes, Karo, Fitch, Trigg etc, etc. Again they give a guy a title shot who just skips ALL of the top Talent. I mean was Swick a top 170 dude?. Honestly title shots just don’t mean a thing. Randy was given a title shot on his 205 debut then his 2nd 205 fight, his 4th, his 6th and 7th I believe. He didn’t earn any of them! and in my opinion neither has Carwin or Hardy.

Its not that there is a ‘talent drought’. There is ALOT of world class fighters in that division. And ALOT of potentially great up and comers. What it is, is GSP, at this moment in time, is in his prime – and his prime is a notch above everybody else. Its not that everybody else is bad… its that GSP is THAT good at the moment. I give him another 1 – 2 years being dominant, before his performance starts to fall. I honestly think he will be known as the most dominant WW of all time, and possibly the longest reigning WW champ of all time. He is that good at the moment. However… just because he is above the rest, doesnt at all mean the rest dont deserve a shot at the title. It will give all the tough fighters in that WW division alot of motivation to train hard to get that title shot… knowing that if they get the chance to fight GSP for the title, that they have the chance to possibly beat one of the greatest WW fighters in the world and also one of the P4P best in the world..

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Maybe you guys are right but I would like to see more earnig and less giving when it comes to title shots. I hope Hardy shocks the world…and it will be a shock.

• edub says:

Ok a few things…

1. Does anyone think Swick came back too soon. I mean I should be giving Hardy his props for how good he looked, and how many times he staggered swick. It just seems to me that those shots were turning the lights off on swick a little bit easier because of the concussion a little while back. He didnt look like the Swick in his last couple of fights.

2. I dont think Hardy has a shot at beating GSP. Yet he made me a fan Saturday. From his style to his prefight hype to the build up in the cage…This guy just flat out gets me amped to see him fight. I cant say Ill root against GSP, but Ill certainly be siked to see hardy get in the cage.

3. To say he isnt worth really is irrelevant now. He beat the guy who was the most logical next contender outside of Jake Shields( In SF obviously), and the UFC needs a champion healthy enough to fight. Id have him as an underdog in fights against Fitch, Koscheck, Alves, Johnson, and Diego Sanchez for that matter; but I also had him as an underdog against “One trick quick”.

If Hardy’s wrestling continues to improve he’ll stay as a force in the division. He is a big strong ww that has a lot of KO power.

Swick you’ll be back man. Keep your head up and get healthy. Let that head rest before you let it get punched again. I wanna see you in there at 100%.

• Vogairian says:

Pretty much echo 100% what Edub said. I didn’t really care one way or another for Hardy, but I’m coming around. I don’t think he has much of a shot against GSP, but I don’t think anyone who fights in that division does.

• manny says:

This will be an EASY win for GSP, Take down and GnP him ALL 5 rounds. I doubt it will go that far, i want to see GSP finish ppl like he used to and hardy is the perfect guy to finish. The last couple of title defense have a been decisions, fitch, alves, penn (but didn’t come out) I hope alves comes back for another shot bc i think he’ll be the guy to beat gsp.

• 3OAM says:

I like GSP for this fight, but I’d love to see Hardy get the upset. As much as I like GSP, this champion talent pool is getting stagnant. I’d like to see the belts switch hands a bit more.

I forecast GSP imposing his will the entire time and coming out of it with a submission (likely RNC) late in round one.

• CanadaMMA says:

Alright, personally I think GSP is going to crush Hardy. Even though Hardy does have one-hit knockout potential…Alves did too and look what happened to him. For GSP, ground & pound would be how he would normally play it out but some interview on TV heard him say he wants a “spectacular finish” to his fight with Hardy, makes think he wants to KO the Brit. Can’t wait to see this fight because it might be GSP’s last title defense for awhile. He’s considering vacating the title to try and qualify for 2012 Olympics in freestyle wrestling. I’m guessing GSP early 2nd round TKO.