Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira out of UFC 108 with Staph Infection (UPDATE)

Antonio Rodrigo NogueiraDana White announced earlier today at the UFC 105 post-event press conference that a scheduled bout between rising heavyweight contender Cain Velasquez and veteran fighter Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has been scrapped due to a serious staph infection the Brazilian is currently suffering from.

According to White, the infection is so bad it has gotten into Nogueira’s bloodstream and the former PRIDE superstar will have to be hospitalized while given antibiotics.

The cancellation adds to a recent string of illnesses and injuries affecting a number of UFC main events, including next weekend’s UFC 106 card which was originally scheduled to feature Brock Lesnar defending his title against Shane Carwin and Mark Coleman in Forrest Griffin’s spot opposite Tito Ortiz.

The unfortunate situation also leaves the freshly victorious Velasquez without an opponent and UFC 108 without a main event. While the idea of inserting Carwin into the slot vacated by Nogueira was mentioned, the UFC President stated the current top heavyweight contender was not an option due to recent knee surgery he’d undergone. However, White assured fans the UFC would find a suitable headlining bout for the January 2nd, 2010 event, saying, “This is my business; this is what we do.”

UPDATE: Shane Carwin took to his Twitter on Sunday to clarify his status, stating “Did not have surgery. I was injured and when Brock pulled out of 108 I got the injury looked at and began rehab. I have a grade 2 MCL Strain.”

• fanoftna33 says:

The ufc is really in a bad spot here, but hell they can always bring Kimbo in to face Cain.

• matt says:

Velasquez vs. Carwin main event…please!!!!! Carwin in my opinion is right now not deserving of a title shot and i think if this fight happens there will be no arguement against the winner getting a title shot.

• bigbadjohn says:

what an injury/illness riddled last quarter of 2009. The 2 fights I was most looking forward to most (Lesnar and Carwin, Cain and Nog) get scrapped. what a shame. the last thing Nog wants is to get battered again after battling through a staph infection. take your time get well Nog!

• Makington says:

Looks like Nog learned his lesson not to fight right after having a bad staph infection. I’m really hoping they can move GSP’s title defense up a bit with all these big name injuries lately. GSP has stated he is 100% and he was waiting to see what happened between Swick/Hardy, which Hardy took virtually no damage.

• Jak says:

Carwin/Velasquez – Called off.
    Carwin/Lesnar – Called off.
    Rampage/Evans – Called off.
    Nog/Velasquez – Called off.
    Rampage/Machida – Called off so Rampage could go on the TUF and fight Evans.

Big names don’t necessarily mean great fights, but they do add to the build up and excitement. And if i had tickets to a UFC event and my favorite fighter dropped off the main event… that would bite regardless of who they got as a quick fix replacement.

• xtreme_machine says:

DOS SANTOS!

• BigDave says:

velasquez vs dos santos would be a good fight for Cain to stay sharp with. He could drag it into the second or third round before finishing the fight.

• David Andrest says:

Lets not forget Carwin, had his Knee cleaned up by a DR when Brock pulled from the Jan 2 fight card. so he is shelfed for a bit.

• Vogairian says:

Maybe have Cain vs. Dos Santos with winner getting Carwin for the interim while Brock recovers?

Jak: They have to stop announcing fights. I’m getting tired of hearing about great fights only for them to consistently be called off.

• ozz_the_powerful says:

Why the hell does everyone keep talking about an interim title? Jesus. It hasn’t even been CLOSE to year since the title has been defended.

Why create an interim title after only 4 months!? Anyone?

• Davey D says:

@ Ozz…while 4 month’s is a little to early to create an Interim title. I’ve heard some rumblings that Lesnar could have possibily had kidney failure. If this is true, he isn’t going to be training let alone competing in the Octagon for 8 to 10 months from now at least. I don’t know what is going to happen but I seriously wish Brock can recover as soon as possible for the sake of his own health and Family.

This thing with Nogueira is just terrible. I was really looking forward to his bout with Cain. His brother makes his UFC debut next week and would be a shame if Rodrigo couldn’t be there to cheer him on. Get well Mintotauro, rest well and take it easy.

Cheers!!!

• Jak says:

Vogairian: So you’d rather everyone just go into a fight card with no idea of who’s going to be fighting who?

I think you took it a little to literal of what i was saying. I was more meaning that they quite likely knew prior to during TUF that Rampage might not be back, so why announce the fight, they new before announcing Carwin vs. Velasquez at UFC 104 that they might pull one of the fighters to fight Lesnar,

I more of meant that they seem to be quick on the gun to announce fights that e-fighters crave, but shortly after have to pull them.

Nope i didn’t mean that we shouldn’t know any fights, but that the UFC should do their homework before hyping main events that won’t happen.

• Angry Mike says:

@Davey D

Where did you hear about Brock’s possible kidney failure?

• Davey D says:

Mike…This was some information that I came across the other day. It is possible. I’ve also found some places on-line today where resourceful people are saying so as well. It is all speculation at this point and I can see why Lesnar wants to keep it private. Brock is gonna have to take it one day at a time and listen to his Doctors’ order’s to get himself back on track. It is no laughing matter thats for sure.

• Angry Mike says:

Davey D

It’s serious stuff. He’s really young for kidney problems. If he’s lost function, he could need a transplant. The success rate on them is pretty good, but they’re life-altering.

• Connor Cobain says:

Ok people there is no need for an interim title and why would Carwin agree to do it if he already has a title shot. Be smart people.

• drdsanders says:

Carwin can’t have a grade 2 MCL strain. A strain is a tendon injury. Sprain is a ligament injury. Either way, if I were him I wouldn’t risk a qaurenteed title shot. If healthy, I would take on Cain for an interim title. Headliner + title shot = sponsorship $

• danw84 says:

drdsanders: Carwin can’t have a grade 2 MCL strain. A strain is a tendon injury. Sprain is a ligament injury. Either way, if I were him I wouldn’t risk a qaurenteed title shot. If healthy, I would take on Cain for an interim title. Headliner + title shot =sponsorship $

He probably just misspoke. I’m not sure, but I don’t think Carwin is a doctor.

• GassedOut says:

If Brock has had kidney failure, the first thing he’ll be on is dialysis. That would be the thing to look for to confirm that info. Although dialysis doesn’t mean he needs a transplant necessarily, it does mean they have to put a shunt in his wrist for the dialysis machine. That will definitely put a cramp in his wrestling. (had a friend who had a kidney transplant, and it definitely put a cramp in his athleticism)

Strain, sprain, tomato, tomahtoe – let’s call the whole thing off. I have a degree in biology and I didn’t know the difference. (Of course, mine is in ecology/entomology, not anything related to humans direclty, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised). Carwin likely doesn’t know either and used the wrong word. The words even sound similar! That could be an actual Freudian slip (minored in psychology) where the brain has to choose between two similar words and picks the wrong one for any number of reasons. Why does it always get assumed that the guy was lying or hiding something? Really, people. Sure, one should always fact check, but the phrase “trust but verify” has a lot of meaning. It means you take a guy’s word for something while you’re checking on the fact. If it turns out that the statement was false, call him on it and see what happens. If it turns out to be a confirmed, verified fact, drop it, you got the truth. And never, ever, EVER make a guy an offender for a word. I mean really…when did society change to assume that whatever someone said was a lie and that we must turn over every stone imaginable to prove it? That’s a pretty negative world view.

• Davey D says:

Gassed…I liked your comment. Very informative. I’ve done some more digging today and found that TMZ quoted Dana White saying that Brocks aliment could intestinal. That makes me think he could have Crohs Disease where your large intestine almost actually eats itself up and deteriorates. What are your thoughts???

This thing is getting scarier by the day.